THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 20:28
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Music For a Twelve Year Old Brother  (Read 15304 times)

Felix_

Re: Music For a Twelve Year Old Brother
« Reply #50 on: 23 Oct 2006, 12:12 »

Sir.

Did you just seriously suggest NOT going out your way to get a kid into Motorhead?

:o

Now who's bisexual?  :-D

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #51 on: 24 Oct 2006, 08:43 »

Getting the kid into dissonant music is good, but frankly I wouldn't foist a lot of over-canonized, radio-friendly classic rock like Floyd, Zeppelin or the like on the kid unless you want him to turn into One Of Those Teenagers who wears ugly-ass classic rock hoodies and plays Paul Reed Smith guitars exclusively unless he can find a really nice Fender and grows long hair that he doesn't bother washing or combing and is always really awkward in a lot of social situations and graduates high school having developed a penchant for only two things, i.e. nodding one's head to groovy music while stoned and getting stoned. The other reason is that those bands are all really well known. I mean, yes they are good gateway bands because they're on the radio and all, but there are a lot better and equally accessible bands that he isn't going to run into on a near-daily basis for the rest of his life.

Calling Pink Floyd "radio-friendly classic rock" shows an incredibly poor understanding of Pink Floyd's career and output. Yes, Pink Floyd are well known and get played on the radio, but I hardly think you can take "Learning to Fly," "Another Brick in the Wall pt 2" and "Wish You Were Here" and use them to represent everything Pink Floyd have done. Yes, get the kid a Floyd album ,but instead of "Dark Side of the Moon" or "The Wall" (i.e; the canon) you could try "Animals" or something from the Syd Barret era.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

strawberry_gashes

« Reply #52 on: 25 Oct 2006, 04:33 »

You knowing them in Grade 7 is awesomer. A lot of folk on this forum are Mclusky fans. Sadly I think there are maybe nine or ten Mclusky fans where I live and I am not making that statistic up.

:-P Thanks.  My father raised me well.

That beats the number of fans in DC, though.. okay, I take that back.  When I saw then two years ago, there were many people at the show... but out of the people I know,maybe three like them.  It is a shame.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #53 on: 17 Nov 2006, 00:09 »

Throw Mr. Bungle - California at his forehead.  See if it gets lodged there.  Then take pictures and share.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

alexalexalex

« Reply #54 on: 17 Nov 2006, 01:25 »

I loved Bon Jovi when I was 13.

Haha, me too! And Guns n' Roses and Skunk Anansie (the most criminally underrated band of all time). HOWEVER, if I had known about them at the time, I would have loved...

The Aquabats!
Streetlight Manifesto... Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra... The Weakerthans... Pixies

I've never known if it's cool or not to like Minus the Bear.

It's not cool! I hope!

Also, sorry for all the quoting. I'm new, y'see. I'm gonna start necroposting tomorrow...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up