Fun Stuff > CLIKC

The PC-building/hardware knowledge thread

<< < (130/130)

Case:
@bhtooefr: OK. But what's the PCH for, then? (The 'Intel Z86 chipset' - thingy) I figured it was the vestiges of what we used to call a Northbridge back in the day?

Edit: OK, just read your edit above - So the Northbridge moved to the CPU, and the 'chipset' is what we used to call a Southbridge in the days of yore? That about the size of it?

@Paul: I may or may not have alt-tabbed from a pretty demanding game and then put it into sleep mode. And then left it there bcs I dozed off myself ...  :-\ (I think I remember setting the CPU over-temp values in the BIOS rather conservatively, so if the BIOS was monitoring the CPU, it should have pulled the plug when the latter got to 80 Celsius. I'm not a 100% on that, though ... ).

Damage/cuts to the PCB: Don't think cuts, as the board was securely mounted on the brass spacers, and had been for a while. A short due to foreign objects of a fatty kind landing on the board, though ... (Yes, I'm an idiot)

bhtooefr:
Correct.

The old era of system architecture, from the Pentium through the Core 2 era, looked something like this:

CPU
(Front Side Bus interconnect)
Northbridge (memory controller, PCI/AGP/PCIe bus controller, integrated graphics controller if present)
(PCI or PCIe interconnect depending on era)
Southbridge (storage controllers, USB controllers, audio controller if present, PCI/PCIe to ISA/LPC bridge, emulation of some IBM PC AT peripherals (others are done by a LPC Super I/O chip), sometimes a PCIe to PCIe bridge)

Also, worth noting that Ryzen has the southbridge's function integrated onto the CPU as well - there are chipsets, but they basically act as PCIe to PCIe bridges with additional SATA and USB, adding more than what's on the die.

JoeCovenant:

I have two computers.

One, at work: Surface Pro Win 10 (spit).

One, at home, custom build, Win 7 Pro.

Both mice are jittery (one wired USB, one dongle wireless) and when using scroll wheels webpages, document pages etc keep leaping back UP when scrolling down... and vice versa.

Any ideas??

de_la_Nae:
When you say jittery, I mean have you tried messing with the mouse motion sensitivity settings in Windows yet?

Though the scroll wheel thing i've ever only seen when the mechanism is malfunctioning in some way. Which doesn't mean that there might not be another cause/solution.

Are you able to test the mice on another computer? Do you use a mousepad? If so, has it been a while since it's been cleaned or replaced? Same for desk surface if no pad. Same for the mice on cleaning.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version