THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 03:56
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bill Waterson Interview  (Read 18183 times)

StarMinion1

• Plantmonster
Bill Waterson Interview
« on: 19 Sep 2005, 15:17 »

Bill Watterson Interview

I am pretty sure no one posted this... One point in the interview caught my eye:

Q: Many young cartoonists are using the Internet to display their work instead of, or in concert with, print media because there are few barriers to entry and the medium provides the freedom to experiment with form, content, and color. Given your concerns over the state of newspaper comics, what do you think of this development?

A: To be honest, I don't keep up with this. The Internet may well provide a new outlet for cartoonists, but I imagine it's very hard to stand out from the sea of garbage, attract a large audience, or make money. Newspapers are still the major leagues for comic strips . . . but I wouldn't care to bet how long they'll stay that way.

My thoughts were that he would be a good webcomic artist because there are less restrictions, but that is just me... Also, I think there are a number of successful web artists out there (of course, Jeph is one of them).

practicality

Bill Waterson Interview
« Reply #1 on: 19 Sep 2005, 18:59 »

I'm pretty sure someone did post it.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
Bill Waterson Interview
« Reply #2 on: 19 Sep 2005, 20:01 »

For all we know, Watterson could be doing a webcomic of his own under a pseudonym!

Actually I think that's a fairly well known urban legend in the webcomics community.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

StarMinion1

• Plantmonster
Bill Waterson Interview
« Reply #3 on: 20 Sep 2005, 03:54 »

Hmm... I have heared stranger urban legends involving Calvin & Hobbes, includng people taking the philosophical elements way too seriously..

scatterbrain

Bill Waterson Interview
« Reply #4 on: 20 Sep 2005, 20:30 »

He is of course, hands down one of the best comic strip artists in history.  He just has this simple energy in his work.

Station

Bill Waterson Interview
« Reply #5 on: 26 Sep 2005, 00:16 »

Quote from: StarMinion1
Hmm... I have heared stranger urban legends involving Calvin & Hobbes, includng people taking the philosophical elements way too seriously..

I would like to hear about this.

Silly Bob's new groove

Bill Waterson Interview
« Reply #6 on: 01 Jun 2006, 18:38 »

for some reason this quote

Q: Is there anything about the strip you would change if you could go back? (NOT that it needs change! I think it is perfect the way it is.)

A: Well, let's just say that when I read the strip now, I see the work of a much younger man.

made me think of this fan made strip, WARNING: VERY SAD

Luke

Bill Waterson Interview
« Reply #7 on: 02 Jun 2006, 01:34 »

Watterson and Schulz tie as my favorite cartoonists of all time.

edcho7000

Bill Waterson Interview
« Reply #8 on: 02 Jun 2006, 07:04 »

that is a sad strip.  i kept a newspaper of the original last strip when it came out so many years ago.  i think that newspaper's yellow now.

ForteBass

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
Bill Waterson Interview
« Reply #9 on: 03 Jun 2006, 11:10 »

Bill Waterson, can't you hear me?
Bill Waterson, please don't fear me
Don't treat me like I have rabies
I only wanna have your babies
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.
Pages: [1]   Go Up