THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 23:06
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Okay people, recommend me some Who.  (Read 8919 times)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Okay people, recommend me some Who.
« on: 27 May 2006, 05:27 »

Right, so I was watching the 'video' to My Generation last night and several things struck me.

Keith Moon is a ridiculously good drummer, who never overdoes it even once.

Pete Townsend's guitar playing doesn't strike me as much.

Their bassist - John Entwistle or John Paul Jones, I always get them mixed up? I think it's the former - is insanely good without putting any effort in.

Roger Daltrey has a hell of a voice.

Now, The Who are not a band I'm about to go buying 15 of their albums like I did for Bob Dylan or Nick Cave; I'm looking for a collection of singles or a Best Of or whatever. Which one is the best, which you people would recommend to me? Or, alternatively, which of their studio albums - not Tommy - would work best as being the only one I ever buy?
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2006, 06:26 »

I'd reccomend, album wise, Who's Next or Quadrophenia, personally.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2006, 07:28 »

I got one of those 20th Century Masters collections which is half decent, but there's got to be better collections out there. If you're looking for a 'best of', I'd say make sure it's got My Generation, Pinball Wizard, Behind Blue Eyes, Won't Get Fooled Again, and Baba O'Reilly, those are my favorites.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

jcknbl

« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2006, 10:45 »

I have a "My Generation: The Very Best of the Who". I think my father gave it to me a long time ago, Track list:

1. I Can't Explain
2. Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere
3. My Generation
4. Substitute
5. I'm A Boy
6. Boris The Spider
7. Happy Jack
8. Picture Of Lily
9. I Can See For Miles
10. Magic Bus
11. Pinball Wizard
12. The Seeker
13. Baba O'Riley
14. Won't Get Fooled Again
15. Lets See Action
16. 5.15
17. Join Together
18. Squeeze Box
19. Who Are You
20. You Better You Bet

I don't know enough about the who to tell you if this is the best album though. It seems to include most of the singles people talk about.

Mockery

« Reply #4 on: 27 May 2006, 10:56 »

Funny, I just came onto the music forum, looking to ask the exact same question...

Only recently realised how decent The Who really are/were...

Rubby

• The German Chancellory building
    • http://members.shaw.ca/baby.snakes
« Reply #5 on: 27 May 2006, 11:53 »

Who by numbers is really great as well. Also Tommy; everyone says Tommy is overrated and all that, but it’s actually really good.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #6 on: 27 May 2006, 11:58 »

Quote from: Rubby
Who by numbers is really great as well. Also Tommy; everyone says Tommy is overrated and all that, but it’s actually really good.

Quote from: Me
Or, alternatively, which of their studio albums - not Tommy - would work best as being the only one I ever buy?

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #7 on: 27 May 2006, 12:13 »

Also, I really really love The Who Sold Out. I don't find many people who agree with me (granted, this is in high school, where everyone's favorite Who album is Tommy).
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Fortnight

« Reply #8 on: 27 May 2006, 17:54 »

Good god get Live at Leeds. It serves as a pretty good best of, and it's just a fantastic preformance. While I liked listening to "Pinball Wizard" a million times when I was little, I thought it was just a fun song. But THAT was the album that really got me hooked on the Who.

Thoku

« Reply #9 on: 27 May 2006, 17:55 »

pinball wizard is an awesome song! Even the E. John cover is quite good.

Garcin

Re: Okay people, recommend me some Who.
« Reply #10 on: 27 May 2006, 18:10 »

Quote from: DynamiteKid
Keith Moon is a ridiculously good drummer, who never overdoes it even once.

Gee, that word reminds me of another word.  Is it wrong that that was my first reaction to this post?

Also, I understand that his http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=05122006">head is for sale on ebay.

Check out the Live at Leeds album.  Stellar.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #11 on: 27 May 2006, 18:35 »

If you only buy one album, and it can't be live or compilation, it's gotta be Who's Next. Seriously.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #12 on: 28 May 2006, 01:13 »

Keith Moon was a tremendous drummer - loud and rambunctious and fucking crazy energetic - but beyond him, I never really liked the Who. The movie version of Tommy was pretty kitschy, though, so I think if you're looking for serious Who you should maybe avoid that.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

nuisance

« Reply #13 on: 28 May 2006, 01:57 »

Yeah, I reckon that My Generation comp is a good starter, if you only want one album.

Let's hear it for Entwistle too, he was exceptionally good at what he did.. all dropping in on the 7th and doing sort of implied horn lines by chucking in high notes and shit.  Crikey.  I fall firmly on the "'real' musicians can get fucked" side of the punk vs. prog fence and I still love listening to The Who rock out.  Sometimes.

Luke C

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • http://www.john87.com
« Reply #14 on: 28 May 2006, 02:50 »

Baba o'Reily, now there is a song. The Who Live in Leeds is the best live album ever. Recorded in my home town as well. So awesome, if you like The Who you MUST own this record.
"These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert to fleece the people, and now that they have got into a quarrel with themselves, we are called upon to appropriate the people's money to settle the quarrel." Lincoln in 1837

timehat

« Reply #15 on: 28 May 2006, 04:34 »

Quote from: nuisance
Yeah, I reckon that My Generation comp is a good starter, if you only want one album.

Let's hear it for Entwistle too, he was exceptionally good at what he did.. all dropping in on the 7th and doing sort of implied horn lines by chucking in high notes and shit.  Crikey.  I fall firmly on the "'real' musicians can get fucked" side of the punk vs. prog fence and I still love listening to The Who rock out.  Sometimes.

Punk vs. Prog is a false dilemma.

nuisance

« Reply #16 on: 28 May 2006, 05:08 »

Quote from: timehat

Yes, but I think it's a fast way to convey a point.. or maybe not.  Maybe it would've been faster to write:  usually when people start praising an artist's musicianship it's a clear indicator that I'll hate the music that artist makes.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #17 on: 28 May 2006, 06:51 »

Quote from: nuisance
Quote from: timehat

Yes, but I think it's a fast way to convey a point.. or maybe not.  Maybe it would've been faster to write:  usually when people start praising an artist's musicianship it's a clear indicator that I'll hate the music that artist makes.

That's a pretty ridiculous blanket statement.

Valrus

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • moo hoo ha ha
« Reply #18 on: 28 May 2006, 06:53 »

Whatever you do, make sure you get your hands on Baba O'Riley. That song is fucking amazing.
Quote from: Johnny C
Whatever you give up for Lent, it better not be your day job.

nuisance

« Reply #19 on: 28 May 2006, 07:12 »

Heh, maybe a ridiculous view of the world, but it's not a blanket statement.  I'm only talking about my own experience.

Maybe it's less ridiculous if I mention the fact I listen to only about 5-10% rock of any sort and maybe 1% jazz (to name two genres where people normally rave about the quality of playing).  

The vast majority of music I listen to doesn't have anyone playing instruments on it.  Of the stuff that does, the musicians are often making fodder for machines, are slaves to the funk, or are just... whatever, bashing about making a fun noise.

timehat

« Reply #20 on: 28 May 2006, 07:15 »

I really have to agree. Different strokes and all that though. I think that sound technical ability is important to the creation of good art. Good art is made without it, but the more able you are to control your medium, the more freedom you have to be creative with it. On the other hand, a lot of art may be made in a singular fashion because of technical inability and not in spite of it, but in the hands of truly creative individuals, virtuoso skills are a treasure.

Houdinimachine

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
    • http://www.myspace.com/houdinimachine/
« Reply #21 on: 28 May 2006, 10:40 »

Yeah get that greatest hits. Magic Bus is so freaking awesome. I first heard it on the Jerry Maguire soundtrack, and I've been hooked on the Who ever since. (God bless Cameron Crowe for introducing me to good old fashioned rock and my love of Bob Dylan.)
She gave me a pen. I gave her my heart and she gave me a pen.

FeralCats

• Plantmonster
« Reply #22 on: 28 May 2006, 14:37 »

Go buy Quadrophenia and The Who Sell Out.

I lost all my Who albums last year and those are the only two I miss.
"Okay, let's get this straight, okay, we're totally going to create a Questionable Content Forum signature here, just as soon as we get tuned up, any moment now, yes, wait one moment sir, any seco...."

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #23 on: 28 May 2006, 16:25 »

Quote from: Houdinimachine
Yeah get that greatest hits. Magic Bus is so freaking awesome. I first heard it on the Jerry Maguire soundtrack, and I've been hooked on the Who ever since. (God bless Cameron Crowe for introducing me to good old fashioned rock and my love of Bob Dylan.)

Magic Bus is like, the happiest, funnest track ever.

redbeardjim

• Plantmonster
« Reply #24 on: 28 May 2006, 20:27 »

Mmm. Who's Next and Quadrophenia (hearing Entwhistle go absolutely apeshit on "The Real Me" is awesome), definitely. Man, I need to get me some Who.

chamberk

« Reply #25 on: 28 May 2006, 21:11 »

Who's Next is one of the greatest albums ever made.  After that, Live at Leeds is a FANTASTIC live album that never gets old.  Also, The Who Sell Out is a pretty damn good album, cause they get weird and have fun, and make some good music while they're at it.

I really, really, really need to get Quadrophenia...

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #26 on: 28 May 2006, 21:16 »

Wait, wait, wait. Wait.

...Recommend some who?

Carry on.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #27 on: 28 May 2006, 21:44 »

BA DUM TSH

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #28 on: 29 May 2006, 09:37 »

Quote from: Johnny C
Wait, wait, wait. Wait.

...Recommend some who?

Carry on.

Ha ha, you share a joke with Peter Kay. If that happened to me no number of showers would make me clean again. I'd have to tear off my own skin.

redbeardjim

• Plantmonster
« Reply #29 on: 29 May 2006, 21:13 »

Quote from: chamberk
Who's Next is one of the greatest albums ever made.

F-ing yes. "Baba O'Riley", "Bargain", "Getting In Tune", "Going Mobile", "Behind Blue Eyes", "Won't Get Fooled Again" -- that's a "Greatest Hits" album right there, except that it wasn't.

Ravenbomb

« Reply #30 on: 29 May 2006, 22:56 »

I don't really know the various comps or albums, but try and get ahold of:
My Generation, The Kids are Alright, Baba O'Riley, Won't Get Fooled Again, Behind Blue Eyes, Reign O'er Me, and A Quick One While He's Away

Banana_Hammock

« Reply #31 on: 03 Jun 2006, 05:41 »

I have 25 albums (CD & LP) by the Who, and my favourite is and have always been Who's Next. Baba O'Riley is a truly great song....

CaptainLorax

« Reply #32 on: 06 Jun 2006, 20:34 »

any old timer who fan will tell you to get Live at Leeds first. Heaven and Hell starts it off, my favorite who song ever.

TheFathomist

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #33 on: 06 Jun 2006, 22:06 »

As a diehard Who fan, let me tell you all you need to know.

GET WHO'S NEXT! There is a 2-disc rerelease that will serve you well. It is IMO the best rock and roll album ever. Especially if you take the time to find out about the Lifehouse concept. When you wrap your head around what Pete was trying to do after Tommy, and see how all the songs written around the time of Who's Next are related (Bargain, Baba'O Riley, Going Mobile, The Relay, Join Together, The Song Is Over, Naked Eye, Pure and Easy) it's just stunning on the amount of thought and techincal mastery that has gone into it.

That and Roger Daltery has was has to be the definitive rock and roll scream on Won't Get Fooled Again.

eternie

« Reply #34 on: 07 Jun 2006, 10:53 »

Quote from: Kai
Also, I really really love The Who Sold Out. I don't find many people who agree with me (granted, this is in high school, where everyone's favorite Who album is Tommy).

I love that album. I kind of lost it though, and my Dad was most annoyed.

AceGun

« Reply #35 on: 07 Jun 2006, 11:21 »

It seems that everyone here is really suggesting Who's Next.  I'll agree with that, but once you've become better acquainted with The Who, you may find that The Who Sell Out is much more fun.  It's personally my favorite Who album.
Pages: [1]   Go Up