THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 Apr 2024, 04:04
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My friend emma with a cat  (Read 3046 times)

NecroAd

My friend emma with a cat
« on: 10 Jun 2006, 11:26 »

OK, comments and critisism please. I only just got a scanner, and I coloured this in with photoshop. It's of my friend Emma with my cat hugging her. She hasn't seen it yet though x_x;. The angle got all weird and argh. But yeah, wanted to test out scanner and photoshop colouring. I am quite proud of it though despite all that.

If anyone's er, vaguely interested in what Emma looks like: http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f369/ademokun/ICAM0019.jpg

Stifled Dreams

« Reply #1 on: 10 Jun 2006, 11:55 »

Cute! Here is a little bit of cc, small things that are easy to work on:

- Perspective! I think you've realised this, but it is funky here.
- Choose a light source and make it obvious. That is good, even if it is a stylized picture.
- Did you color on top of pencil shadings? It looks like you did to me. Try only drawing lines if you are going to color in photoshop.

Also, I will tell you what I tell everyone: Draw figures as much as possible. Draw 'em, draw 'em, draw 'em. I hope you post some more of your work!

NecroAd

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jun 2006, 12:27 »

- Perspective! I think you've realised this, but it is funky here.

Yes O_o I think I bodged this up so bad because of when I was drawing the sofa, I was just drawing what was in front of me, NOT looking at it where the picture would of been directed at. But yeah, I ALWAYS forget about that. x_x *bad memory* *notes down this to work on*. People keep saying it's like you're looking at it from the ceiling, bizarelly (no, I wasn't drawing it while on the cieling)

- Choose a light source and make it obvious. That is good, even if it is a stylized picture.
I ALWAYS forget this too, damn it! XP. I am *so* writing this stuff down, you're so right.

- Did you color on top of pencil shadings? It looks like you did to me. Try only drawing lines if you are going to color in photoshop.

Woopsy. Yup. I kind of forgot to delete those. (forgetful much?) I think you're right, it would look better without those.

Also, I will tell you what I tell everyone: Draw figures as much as possible. Draw 'em, draw 'em, draw 'em. I hope you post some more of your work!

Will do! I need to get into practice with this style, going to try and use it for a comic. Something quite easy and fun to do, but yet not extremely simple looking and such.
« Last Edit: 22 Nov 2006, 08:27 by Ally »

liquid architecture

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jun 2006, 15:27 »

first off nice work.

but as mentioned the perspective needs work.

it seems like you drew from memory more than from observation. i'm very far from being a pro myself, but one thing i've learnt from drawing classes is that it is extremely important to learn how to "see". one way to work on that is to draw without looking at your paper. focus completely on your subject, and you'll start seeing things differently. the drawings that result from this are usually quite disturbing, but the objective isn't to make nice looking drawings. you could also do a bit of research on perspective theory... maybe a bit boring but when you understand how to build a perspective you'll understand what you see much better.

Justin

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jun 2006, 16:24 »

a lot of good advice here, i don't think i have anything to add other than: this drawing has a nice quality to it i think, i actually sort of like how the perspective is, even though it's not true to reality i just like how it looks. anyway you've got potential to be sure. keep it up!

NecroAd

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jun 2006, 22:29 »

Quote from: liquid architecture
first off nice work.

but as mentioned the perspective needs work.

it seems like you drew from memory more than from observation.

Yup, drew Emma more from memory. And thank you : ).

Quote from: liquid architecture

you could also do a bit of research on perspective theory... maybe a bit boring but when you understand how to build a perspective you'll understand what you see much better.

Sounds interesting. I might look into that.

Quote from: Justin

a lot of good advice here, i don't think i have anything to add other than: this drawing has a nice quality to it i think, i actually sort of like how the perspective is, even though it's not true to reality i just like how it looks. anyway you've got potential to be sure. keep it up!

Thank you :D

Neuvost

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jun 2006, 23:53 »

Cute. I like it. Other than the terrible sense of perspective, it's got a nice vibe to it. The coloring and shading is really where it shines. The actual line work could use some work, but that's just something that improves as you draw more. Which you should do! Get to it!

NecroAd

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jun 2006, 06:51 »

Quote from: Neuvost
Cute. I like it. Other than the terrible sense of perspective, it's got a nice vibe to it. The coloring and shading is really where it shines. The actual line work could use some work, but that's just something that improves as you draw more. Which you should do! Get to it!

Will do! *drawing more stuff like a maniac*

OK, another thing to show you guys! Not quite sure on everything that's off about it, I know the torso and the leg size are wrong, but yeah.

TrueNeutral

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jun 2006, 13:10 »

I think the body is too square. The waist should have more of a ) . ( shape, the dot being the position of the bellybutton. Also, the legs are the same width as the hips, which legs usually are not.

Female figure is one of the hardest things to draw, though. I made all the mistakes you made at some point, and I still make a bunch of mistakes now.

Also, look at other artists and just generally at the actual thing to see how pants and shoes work together. That's a really difficult bit to draw, and just doing it by feel is pretty much a lost cause unless you've had practice.

Overall, though, good job. I really like your sense of color.
Pages: [1]   Go Up