THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 14:21
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Talkin' 'bout house music (with mp3s where possible)  (Read 4357 times)

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L

I feel so pedestrian in house music.  I mean, I know what I like when I hear it, but until I have heard an artist there is no real way for me to know if I'm going to like it.

Was wondering if there were any house music fans here that could recommend me some new music to check out?  I'll give you a list of stuff I like, then if you see something that you know is like another artist, please lemme know. I know some of these are breaks or maybe other genres, but I'm not being all that strict by "house" here.

Here's a list of some of the artists who I've heard that I've enjoyed (bolded items are favourites):

2many DJs, Ajax, Apollo 440, Armand van Helden, Avalanches live sets (their mash-ups fucking rock), Bang Gang, Basement Jaxx, Benny Benassi, Bodyrockers, Carl Cox, Coburn, Daft Punk, Deep Dish, Felix Da Housecat, Ferry Corsten's non-trance stuff, Freestylers, Friendly, Goldfrapp, some Groove Armada, GusGus, Joey Negro, Junior Jack, the Knife, LCD Soundsystem, Les Rythmes Digitales, Martin Solveig, Mish Mash, Moguai, Mylo, Nextmen, Plump DJs, Poxymusic, Scandal Inc, Stick Figures, Soulwax, Stanton Warriors, Studio B, Tiga, Tonight only, TV Rock, Van She

I know I like breaks, house, dirty & electro-house, as well as mash-up stuff like Avalanches live sets, Bang Gang & 2many djs.  I know I don't really like hard-nrg/trance stuff, and I'm not really all that interested in IDM recommendations at this point.  If you don't think you know anything that sounds like anything on this list, but you really do know your house music and can think of some good stuff (electro house with big, crunchy basslines especially) to recommend then by all means, please do!

thedevilissix

Talkin' 'bout house music (with mp3s where possible)
« Reply #1 on: 07 Jun 2006, 06:04 »

Electro-house with big crunchy basslines, you say? HELL (or DJ HELL) is your man, for sure.  Have a listen to the music section on his official site, where the full tracks of all his albums are on a flash player.  Keep On Waiting is particularly good. :)

nuisance

« Reply #2 on: 07 Jun 2006, 06:41 »

I'm really enjoying Booka Shade's latest album, 'Movements'.  It's pretty pure and clean, sorry, but I like a fair number of the artists you mentioned, so maybe worth trying.  The site's link-unfriendly, but if you go here and click on "Releases" you can stream every track:

http://www.bookashade.com/

The Juan McLean, on LCD Soundystem guy's label DFA, might be up your alley.  Pretty heavy on the 80s vibes.  Again, you can stream every track and, again, I can't link you to the right place.

http://www.thejuanmaclean.com/

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #3 on: 07 Jun 2006, 07:48 »

oh man.  I've been listening to DJ Hell, and up until Suicide Commando the stuff was kind of good but not really catching me, but the beat to this one is really good.  I'll have to get some of his stuff, thanks :)

re: Bookashade, I have already heard some of their stuff and not known it (and liked it).  Thanks for putting a name to the sound.  When was Movements made, by the way?  The second track on the album is either a direct rip of Mylo's DESTROY ROCK N' ROLL with a few stylistic changes, or he got it from them (or they both sampled the exact same loop from someone else, who the fuck knows anymore).  Mylo's album was out some time last year, I think.

re: the Juan Maclean, it's alright, but not really what I was after.  This is more laid-back, whereas this time around I'm looking more for dancefloorish type stuff.  I'll probably still save the name and check back later when I'm in a more mellow mood though, so thanks anyway!

nihilist

« Reply #4 on: 07 Jun 2006, 10:45 »

I shall go sifting through my archive and see what I can see.  A lot of the names you listed off wouldn't be house, though.  Some fall under trance, others are breaks...  :)  (Sorry, I had to be a dick.)

I'd recommend Coldcut's Essential Mix, Shiloh, Way Out West (Nick Warren/Jody Wisternoff), Hybrid...

tetsuotheironboy

« Reply #5 on: 07 Jun 2006, 13:55 »

On the breaks front, i'd say check out some of the liquid drum 'n' bass acts out there, stuff thats getting released on hospital records at the moment in particular. Its pacier than the breaks you will have listened to and the drums have a harder tighter sound, with more flowing basslines. It has the flow and catchiness of tech drum 'n' bass/neurofunk but doesn't resort to eeeeeeevil bass hooks to grab your attention and involves you in the music through its vocal samples and atmosphere.

JLM

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #6 on: 07 Jun 2006, 18:19 »

You don't think the Juan Maclean is dancefloor enough?

Are you looking for straight mixes or artists?

Regardless, stuff I'd check out:
Mr. Velcro Fastener
Vincenzo
Weekender
Blue Six
Miguel Migs
Ben Watt/Lazy Dog/Anything off of Buzzin' Fly
Paul Johnson
Fred Everything
The Persuader
ADNY
Joey Negro
Roy Davis, Jr.
Julius Papp
Joe Clausell

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #7 on: 07 Jun 2006, 19:16 »

Nih: I know that some are trance & breaks.  Ferry Corsten for example is very trance, as is most of Armand van Helden's work, I think.  I have mostly just liked the mixes they have done on the side for cash/something different to do, such as Corsten's "http://xplosif.net/trash/mp3s/dance/Ministry%20of%20Sound/The%202004%20Annual%20cd1/1-02%20rock%20your%20body%2C%20rock.mp3">Rock your body, Rock" and Helden's "Say my name".  http://xplosif.net/trash/mp3s/index.php?dir=dance/Freestylers">Freestylers and Stanton Warriors are very definitely breaks, as are a bunch of other stuff I like and listen to, like the Aussie DJ Kid Kenobi.  But in any case, thanks for the suggestions.  I'll hopefully see you around in IRC or other chat and hit you up for a locker account or something.  I have heard very little Coldcuts, but what I've heard I liked.  The rest is totally new to me, but hopefully I'll enjoy it.

JLM: to be honest I am open to a bit of everything dancefloorish.  I'll show my hand a little here and say that I count myself as being "pedestrian" mainly because I mostly buy compilation albums.  That is kind of what I am looking to change with this thread.  I bought a few Australian Ministry of Sound albums a couple years ago ('03/'04) that were really good (circa: Tube & Berger, Benny Benassi, Apollo 440, Moguai), but the only MOS albums that have been any good recently have been the two Mashed albums by Ajax and Bang Gang.  Ajax plays at a club I go to every now and then, so I enjoy his stuff, and the Bang Gang are a group of electro-house dudes who mash shit up kind of like 2many DJs (who are also awesome live).

That said, I really don't like most compilation albums at all, especially the British MOS albums.  They are pretty much all straight doof-doof, lacking in any kind of funky feel.  They sound to me more inclined towards hard house/trance than funky electro-house and breaks, which I guess is the prevailing style in Australia at the moment (thankfully).  

I've found some songs I have online, but when I get home I'll upload some more mp3s of the sound I am looking for.  For an early indication I think it'll be something like:

- Basement Jaxx: http://xplosif.net/trash/mp3s/dance/Ministry%20of%20Sound/Sessions%20One%20cd2/2-01%20plug%20it%20in%20%28featuring%20jc%20chasez.mp3">Plug it in
- Coburn: http://xplosif.net/trash/mp3s/Coburn%20-%20We%20Interrupt%20This%20Programme.mp3">We interrupt this program
- Felix da Housecat: Control Freak
- Freestylers: http://xplosif.net/trash/mp3s/dance/Freestylers/Raw%20as%20Fuck/07%20Punks.mp3">Punks
- Mish Mash: Speechless
- Moguai: http://xplosif.net/trash/mp3s/dance/Ministry%20of%20Sound/The%202004%20Annual%20cd1/1-16%20Get_%20On.mp3">Get on
- the Prodigy: http://xplosif.net/trash/mp3s/The%20Prodigy%20-%20Girls.mp3">Girls
- Soulwax: Another excuse (N.Y excuse remix - actually, only if I have it.  I might not.  Dang!)
- Tonite Only: Danger
- Tube & Berger: http://xplosif.net/trash/mp3s/dance/Ministry%20of%20Sound/The%202004%20Annual%20cd1/1-11%20straight%20ahead.mp3">Straight ahead
- TV Rock: Flaunt it

and maybe some other stuff if I can find something decent.  I know that I've only given old stuff so far, but when I get home hopefully I can put up some of the newer stuff also.

Thanks again for the help so far!

JLM

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #8 on: 07 Jun 2006, 23:38 »

Check out Abe Duque presents American Gigolo II.  Decent mix with some good, straight house.

For labels, the now defunct Statra recordings put out some of the best house ever. Worth it just for Charles Webster's Born On The 24th Of July but also Denver McCarthy, Chris J, the aforementioned Mr. Velcro Fastener, etc.

I'm also big into Turbo, Svek, Naked Music, Compost, Kompakt, Pagan

nihilist

« Reply #9 on: 08 Jun 2006, 12:34 »

James Holden - Balance 005.  It is probably the best thing I've ever heard.  Been listening to it on my MP3 player since it came out in January 2004.  Solidly.  Every time I remove all but that album.  It is not so much house, but more trance and breaks, though it doesn't stick to any genre.  If you can get a hold of his remixes of Britney Spear's 'Breathe on Me' you will see him shine.  They were unreleased, but so damn good that you'll get over the fact that it is Britney.

The new Gabriel and Dresden studio album (self titled).  Solid.  More vocal trance then house, but still damn good.  Not generic trance, either.  If I can like it after getting tired of trance...  That's a pretty solid recommendation.

Random other names:
Hernan Cattaneo
Chris Fortier
Sander Kleinenberg
Audion/Matt Darey
Vitalic

Again, will sift for more.  Man, this stuff makes me remember why I liked electronic stuff in the first place.  That indie rock stuff goes down!

Edit:
Luke Fair
Above and Beyond
Mark Farina
Wink
Tim Deluxe
Tiga
Deep Dish (FTW! - They are truly amazing live.)
Timo Maas (Pictures, especially)
Plump DJs
ILS
Pages: [1]   Go Up