THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 02:41
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 78   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to (and discuss it).  (Read 903224 times)

Houdinimachine

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
    • http://www.myspace.com/houdinimachine/
What are you listening to (and discuss it).
« Reply #50 on: 11 Jun 2006, 16:50 »

Huh, I am the exact opposite. I could say that about Amy Lee. Well, her voice. Evanescence gets old fast.

Edit: Listening to Deerhoof - Midnight Bicycle Mystery Damn this song is just so catchy for being so dyschordant. I'd tap my foot if two toes weren't broken.
She gave me a pen. I gave her my heart and she gave me a pen.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #51 on: 11 Jun 2006, 17:15 »

Sopor Aeternus & The Ensemble of Shadows - The Feast of Blood (Demo)

The demos seem to be totally synth works, presumably to give the guest instrumentalists an idea how their stuff is going to fit together.

They're not as good of course, but this song is still awesome. Fuck everyone elses opinion, there's just too much meaning and sincerity in Sopor Aeternus for there to be any cheese.

"Alas this feast shall never end...
Until! Until! In HELL we all descend!"
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Soidanae

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #52 on: 11 Jun 2006, 18:06 »

The Ramones: Ramones

I actually got this album when my cousin gave me a Ramones tee for christmas.  I reasoned I couldn't wear said shirt until I'd actually heard the band.

Thankfully, they turned out to be great and wonderful and I'd somehow missed them.
I believe these are the days of lasers in the jungle, lasers in the jungle somewhere.  Staccato signals of constant information, a loose affiliation of millionaires and billionaires, and baby, these are the days of miracles and wonders.

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
« Reply #53 on: 11 Jun 2006, 18:08 »

Listening to: the new, free DangerDoom EP (which you can download http://www.adultswim.com/promos/dangerdoom/occulthymn/index.html" target="_fresh">here.

It's actually kind of average. Sounds like it was fairly hastily put together, and most of the remixes are just leagues away from the original in terms of quality. Oh well, it is free, so you can't complain too much.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #54 on: 11 Jun 2006, 18:28 »

Fort Minor's "Where'd You Go" is on TV right now.

I didn't anticipate this, but I like it a little. Maudlin and kinda melodramatic it may be, but it also has expresses a legitimate sentiment and has a decent hook. Basically it's mix CD fodder for someone you miss, guys.

EDIT: He just said "when you come back I won't be here" so maybe that won't work. Still a decent song though.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #55 on: 11 Jun 2006, 18:32 »

Freezepop - Duct Tape my Heart

Say what you want, Freezepop are absurdly fun.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #56 on: 11 Jun 2006, 19:49 »

Quote from: tommydski

i wish this band had never reformed.
they are still a good live band but their new material is terrible.

I rather like the new one, although the old stuff is much better.

Cat Power - He War

From "You Are Free", my favourite Cat Power album. I'd really forgotten this whole album for "The Greatest", which I love, but is not as consistently great as this one. A much happier record with less production.
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #57 on: 11 Jun 2006, 19:57 »

Khar: there was very little discussion in the old thread.  I mean, I saw one or two people talking about the music with each other, sure, but the majority of what I saw of the thread consisted of people listing what they were listening to and leaving.  When a thread looks like it could have been automatically posted to randomly by a Winamp/iTunes plugin I don't really see the point.

This time around, however, it's lookin' good.

Kai: I think I have one Freezepop album (Fancy Ultra-fresh), but it wasn't as good as I thought it would be.  I previously heard the fansong they did for Achewood (Here comes a very special boy) and really liked it, so I was all kinds of puzzled as to why the album let me down.

I'm listening to Warning by Freestylers.  I've set up this cool "Surprise me" set in iTunes.  It gives me music that I haven't listened to in the last month, minus certain things like songs under a minute and over 10 mins, and minus certain keywords that are mostly comedy or spoken word artists.  I feed that source list into the "Party Shuffle" and as a result I get to listen to some stuff that I wouldn't normally choose.   I have a lot of stuff that I haven't listened to properly, so it is good to get it thrown at me randomly.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #58 on: 11 Jun 2006, 20:16 »

Some of their songs are a little iffy, but when they're on, they are awesomely fun.

Acid Mothers Temple - Anthem of the Space
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #59 on: 11 Jun 2006, 20:21 »

Quote from: Houdinimachine
Huh, I am the exact opposite. I could say that about Amy Lee. Well, her voice. Evanescence gets old fast.

Am I the only one who doesn't think Amy Lee is attractive?

Blur - Battery in Your Leg

I loved Think Tank, and this is my favourite track from there. A rather sad song, but a beautiful one.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #60 on: 11 Jun 2006, 20:24 »

I don't think she's very attractive, personally.

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #61 on: 11 Jun 2006, 20:41 »

Acid Mothers Temple and the Cosmic Inferno - Poppy Rock

I like the Cosmic Inferno more than The UFO Paradise, and Poppy Rock is the track I use to introduce people to them.

ImRonBurgundy?

• "That's all," he added.
« Reply #62 on: 11 Jun 2006, 20:53 »

Connie Francis- "I Will Wait for You"

this is a really beautiful song.  they put it to really good use in the Futurama episode "Jurassic Bark".  try to watch it (at least for the first time) without tearing up just a little.

EDIT: found the episode on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cysj1XYWeK0&search=futurama
You just came back to shit in my heart, didn't you Ryan?

Soidanae

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #63 on: 11 Jun 2006, 20:56 »

Frankie and His fingers:  I love them to death.

I feel guilty because of how emo they can get, but then they do this:

stand amidst/the wise old hicks/they wear their glasses well/as they wash the produce poorly

And I can sing the vocal part, which makes me happy.  I'm normally lower than singers.
I believe these are the days of lasers in the jungle, lasers in the jungle somewhere.  Staccato signals of constant information, a loose affiliation of millionaires and billionaires, and baby, these are the days of miracles and wonders.

Fortnight

« Reply #64 on: 11 Jun 2006, 21:38 »

Ween - She Fucks Me

Christ I haven't listened to Ween in ages, stumbled on the Pod while flipping through my shit for something else, and I couldn't resist giving it another long awaited spin. Geh, now I have to dig up all the other stuff.

And on Freezepop, I ALSO got hooked in by 'Here Comes a Special Boy', but I was actually very pleased with Fancy*Ultra*Fresh.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #65 on: 11 Jun 2006, 21:41 »

Oh man, I haven't listened to Ween in ever.

Bill Laswell and MJ Harris - Distal Sonority

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #66 on: 11 Jun 2006, 22:38 »

Hilary Duff - Wake Up (live)

This is quite good. I think it's better than the album version (shut up everyone), the vocals are weaker and the cheesy keyboard is gone, but the guitarists are pretty good. This was the highlight of the concert.

just ended and now:

A Silver Mt. Zion - C'mon Come On

One of my favourite Mt Zion tracks, from the period where the singing was less prominent. Basically GY!BE compressed into shorter tracks.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #67 on: 11 Jun 2006, 23:45 »

Quote from: tommydski
'secrets', 'train', 'trem two' and especially 'mica' are some of my favourite songs of all time.

NP: Mission Of Burma - Mica

COINCIDENCE!

Its really a wonderful album. I've been looking everywhere for it.
Editors sounds like Burma's cover band, actually, although they're not to bad themselfs.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Praeserpium Machinarum

« Reply #68 on: 12 Jun 2006, 00:35 »

Cat Power - He War

From "You Are Free", my favourite Cat Power album. I'd really forgotten this whole album for "The Greatest", which I love, but is not as consistently great as this one. A much happier record with less production.

I really should give The Greatest and her backcatalog a listen, after some tries I ended up adoring You Are Free. There is no excuse really, since my little brother has it all on his pc. A perfect pirate he is, now if he'd just stop downloading all that hardcore/screamo/emo shite...

Amber - The More You Get Into It

Like Low without guitar and vocal harmonies, this is danish slowcore for you and it is quite good :)
Steve Albini produced their debut and John Parish is producing parts of the new one with Albini doing the mastering, so they keep pretty prominent company.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #69 on: 12 Jun 2006, 03:33 »

Venetian Snares - Dollmaker

I seriously need to thank amok for recommending Doll Doll Doll.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Mattie

« Reply #70 on: 12 Jun 2006, 10:53 »

The Number 12 Looks Like You is possibly one of the best grindcore bands ever.

Also, they're what I'm currently listening to

El Opium

« Reply #71 on: 12 Jun 2006, 11:04 »

Sonic Youth-Starpower
-Just busted out EVOL for the first time in ages and this one is just classic.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #72 on: 12 Jun 2006, 11:05 »

The award to the best grindcore band is always Discordance Axis. ALWAYS

Also, Fuck The Number 12 Looks Like You. stuff is rank.

The Residents - Sinister Exaggerator

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #73 on: 12 Jun 2006, 12:01 »

Soft Machine - Nettle Bed

Yay British acid rock/jazz
Too bad that by this that time (1974) only Mike Ratledge was left of the original line-up. Even though, this is ace.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Mattie

« Reply #74 on: 12 Jun 2006, 12:12 »

Quote from: Kai

Also, Fuck The Number 12 Looks Like You. stuff is rank.

*cries*

Der Golem

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
    • http://www.ihavenowebsite.com
« Reply #75 on: 12 Jun 2006, 12:14 »

Alan Stivell - De' Ha' Bla'

Celtic folk ballad played mostly on a harp. Also sung entirely in Celtic, which gives it sort of an otherworldly atmosphere.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #76 on: 12 Jun 2006, 12:28 »

The Cure - Killing an Arab

Gryff

« Reply #77 on: 12 Jun 2006, 19:26 »

Early Cure for the win, Kai.

I'm listening to the new Peaches album Impeach My Bush. It's good, dirty fun. Sample lyric (from 'Tent in Your Pants'): "I see something in your pants that can't be real/ Don't hold back baby tell me what's the deal?/ I gotta move in closer and cop a feel/ Oh my you've got something with mass appeal".

Also "Hurts so good I got a soregasm".

Peaches is pretty filthy!

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #78 on: 12 Jun 2006, 20:01 »

that's awesome.

Bauhaus - Rosegarden Funeral of Sores

omg bauhaus pretty much makes me super happy and squee like.

stevethepirate

« Reply #79 on: 12 Jun 2006, 20:25 »

And I've never even heard of them. Hehe, oh god.

Electric Six - Danger! High voltage!

Great song, so bizarre though. If you haven't heard it, go listen to it. You'll probably like it, but you might not.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #80 on: 12 Jun 2006, 20:36 »

DON'TCHU WANNA KNOW HOW WE KEEP STARTIN' FI-YAHS?

Did you guys know that the Stills use horns now? Well, they do. Said horns make "Destroyer," which is so lyrically dark as to be KRIEG, into a jaunty, joyful romp!

Without Feathers is a good record. Get yr hands on it.

The Hammered

« Reply #81 on: 12 Jun 2006, 20:45 »

I should really get some Bauhaus one of these days. Hopefully the crappy stores near where I live stock it (I think I've seen some Bauhaus there, but I'm not positive).

Anyway, I don't listen to music when I'm on the computer most of the time, so I'll mostly use this for when I get back from listening to something if you guys don't mind.

So, I just finished listening to: Television's Little Johnny Jewel, and that bonus instrumental that comes with the Marquee Moon reissue (I believe the liner notes refer to it as "A Mi Amore"); Black Sabbath's first album; and the Stooges' Fun House, and I'll now comment on each of them (hopefully) briefly.

The Television songs are basically what I listen to when I don't want to hear Marquee Moon in its entirety. That's not to marginalize them or anything, because they both fucking rock. I particularly love the instrumental that takes up the middle portion of Little Johnny Jewel, and the other's just awesome all the way through.

The Black Sabbath album is actually my first encounter with them. I'd had the album for a while, but never actually listened to it until now. My first impression is mostly good; I'm a sucker for Black Sabbath's kind of lyrics, first of all, though since I tend to miss lyrics a lot, especially when hearing a song for the first time, I didn't hear all of them by a long shot. I really didn't like Ozzy's vocals at first, but I found myself liking them more later on. I'm not sure whether I just got used to them or whether I just didn't like his delivery on the title track. As for the music, I don't have much to say about it, but I liked it for the most part. I also suspect I may not have been playing it quite loud enough (though usually that's not a problem for me).

As for Fun House, I can't say much that hasn't been said before, but it's an incredible album. 1970 is also my favorite song by anyone currently. That live fragment of it from the same year is also great; I only wish the entire concert were available.

stevethepirate

« Reply #82 on: 12 Jun 2006, 20:48 »

I have alot of time on my hands but not that much, short form it please!

Gryff

« Reply #83 on: 12 Jun 2006, 20:56 »

Quote from: stevethepirate
I am really, really lazy and/or partially illiterate.

The Hammered, Television are so great. Marquee Moon floors me every time I hear it! Some of the bonus tracks on that reissue are pretty nifty -- 'Little Johnny Jewel' especially -- but the alternate versions of the album tracks are just not as good as the originals.

Lexington, 125

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #84 on: 12 Jun 2006, 21:02 »

that's awesome.

Bauhaus - Rosegarden Funeral of Sores

omg bauhaus pretty much makes me super happy and squee like.

I will see them next Wednesday-small venue in my city yes! (though they open a couple nights later along with Peaches for NiN in Toronto)

Isis- so did we
If I am good I could add years to my life, I would rather add some life to my years...

BrainToad

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #85 on: 12 Jun 2006, 23:15 »

Feist - Tout Doucement

Someone recommended her to me saying she was like a female Iron & Wine, I see no similarities.  She sounds sort of like a mix between female soul groups, early R&B and a few other things.  Entertaining but not what I was expecting.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #86 on: 12 Jun 2006, 23:33 »

Someone definitely has no idea what Iron & Wine sound like. But Feist is a great folky/swingy singer-songwriter.

La Creme

« Reply #87 on: 12 Jun 2006, 23:57 »

That is a shitload of Dr. Who remixes.

Jefferson Airplane - Somebody to Love

Grace Slick is amazing.

And godDAMN but she was hot.

I am listening to:

Architecture In Helsinki - Fumble

This track seems really... ska-drenched. I really like it a whole lot and really don't know how I've missed it after my gajillionth listen to Fingers Crossed. Terrific album.

Also: Those DangerDoom remixes are so-so, except for the Sofa King remix, which is BRILLIANT.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #88 on: 13 Jun 2006, 03:23 »

For pity's sake La Creme, RE-SIZE THAT AVATAR ALREADY.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #89 on: 13 Jun 2006, 04:01 »

Jimi Hendrix - Message from Nine to the Universe
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #90 on: 13 Jun 2006, 05:17 »

Jolie Holland: Catalpa.

Near where I live there's a bar called the Glitch Bar.  On Sunday afternoons at the Glitch they have a thing which has variously been called "My Top Five Songs", "Five of My Favourite Songs", and "Loungeroom Fancies."  This involves two to three local musicians, comedians, or other indie-scene luminaries playing five of their favourite songs and talking humourously about each one and its place in their life.  A couple of Sundays ago a fine local muso by the name of Martin Martini played a song, "the Littlest Birds", by Jolie Holland, from her debut album.  Just about everybody who listened to it vowed to go out and buy the album, if they didn't already own it.  I was one of that group, and I bought that album, and I am quite loving it.  I note also that Ms. Holland will shortly be supporting Augie March on their tour.  An enticing proposition!

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #91 on: 13 Jun 2006, 05:28 »

Quote from: Lexington, 125

I will see them next Wednesday-small venue in my city yes! (though they open a couple nights later along with Peaches for NiN in Toronto)

I hate you. I would pretty much kill to see Bauhaus but they don't come anywhere near me.

black tape for a blue girl - With a Million Tears.

cheesy gothy darwave. wee.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #92 on: 13 Jun 2006, 05:49 »

Black Tape For A Blue Girl are awesome. Also I'm seeing Bauhaus this summer (headlining a festival O_o I fear they may be too old and boring to suit such a role)

Currently listening to: The Raconteurs - Broken Boy Soldier (whole album, it just happens to be on this track)

Considering the White Stripes bore me shitless I was pleasantly surprised to discover that this album kicks ass. :)

pinkpiche

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #93 on: 13 Jun 2006, 07:44 »

I think Raconteurs is a massive step back from White Stripes. Goodbye charm and rock'n'roll, hello boring indie-ish sucky suck.

The Paper Chase - A Little Place Called Trust

Any song that contains the sound of knives being sharpened through the whole song must be good. Therefor Paper Chase, you got a new fan.
"Yeah, they're always biting my shit you know how that goes"

Luke

« Reply #94 on: 13 Jun 2006, 10:14 »

The Clash - Guns of Brixton

All around, just a good song. The "sproing" sound really tops it off.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #95 on: 13 Jun 2006, 10:22 »

Joy Division - Dead Souls

My second favorite Joy Division song, after Warsaw.

Just turned to:
Mission Of Burma - That's How I Escaped My Certain Fate
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #96 on: 13 Jun 2006, 10:44 »

Quote from: Luke
The Clash - Guns of Brixton

All around, just a good song. The "sproing" sound really tops it off.

I love that song.

The Falcon - Look Ma! No Fans!

Lawrence Arms/Alkaline Trio/dude who used to be in Rise Against side project. Brendan Kelly from LA on vocals, it's pretty gritty and awesome.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

JodyAnthony

« Reply #97 on: 13 Jun 2006, 11:07 »

fIREHOSE - What Gets Heard

it's Mike Watt. What else is there to say?

Garcin

« Reply #98 on: 13 Jun 2006, 11:11 »

Quote from: Misereatur
Mission Of Burma - That's How I Escaped My Certain Fate

Sweet, Misereatur.  I'm seeing them tomorrow -- it's going to be an awesome show.  I'm actually really like Obliterati, much more than ONoffON which I guess is truer to their old sound.

Currently listening to: Pawn Shoppe Heart.  I was pondering the irony of the Von Bondies' progression from Garage to Art/Noise between Lack of Communication and Pawn Shoppe Heart matching a similar progression in the White Stripes' sound, culminating in Get Behind Me Satan.

The Hammered

« Reply #99 on: 13 Jun 2006, 11:23 »

Quote from: Gryff
The Hammered, Television are so great. Marquee Moon floors me every time I hear it! Some of the bonus tracks on that reissue are pretty nifty -- 'Little Johnny Jewel' especially -- but the alternate versions of the album tracks are just not as good as the originals.

Indeed they are. I really haven't listened to the alternate versions that much, but when I did I either didn't hear much difference or I disliked the changes I did hear. I would've preferred to hear more unreleased tracks (if there are more) or live performances. Speaking of which, I got The Blow-Up a couple days ago, but haven't listened to it yet. That should happen pretty soon.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 78   Go Up