THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 15:04
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MacBook  (Read 9017 times)

edscoble

MacBook
« on: 17 May 2006, 02:58 »

I hate Apple, I so hate Apple so much, After seeing the black MacBook in person (London Apple Store), I has the incredible huge urge to sell some of my computer just to pick it up, argh!!

I didn't take those shot - image from apple insider, and those keyboard look like them sony 10inch one, cracking!

Jenno

• Furry furrier
MacBook
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2006, 03:22 »

Yes, because it is definitely worth paying an extra AUD$210 just so your laptop is black instead of white. Srsly, it is really stupid that there is that much of a price difference after you upgrade the middle tier one to an 80GB hard drive, making it have exactly the same specs as the black one.

The black Macbook is the new U2 iPod.

Phrozen

MacBook
« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2006, 08:20 »

Apple's target market would totally buy that.

Matteh99

MacBook
« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2006, 08:22 »

I agree, if they gave the black a gig of ram it would be more worth it.  That would make the price difference only 50 bucks which is doable.  But 150 bucks just for it to be black is crazy.

I would say it is even worse than the ipod U2.  I beleave the U2 ipod cost $50 more but came with $50 of music from the music store.  I am not sure if it had to be U2 music you bought or not.

nickyandthefuture

• Curry sauce
    • http://www.bigorangecrayon.com
MacBook
« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2006, 08:30 »

Meh.  I don't see myself replacing my G4 with a MacBook until Intel's Merom chips come out.  And if it doesn't have FW800, it's dead to me.

Also, fuck glossy screens.
Blue or plain?
Sometimes orange.

Catfish_Man

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
    • Assorted Stuff
MacBook
« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2006, 09:56 »

If and only if that keyboard is good to type on (I have heard otherwise so far), I could see myself getting one of those. 1280x800 is just large enough for me to work on, and I don't really use the graphics card heavily enough for integrated graphics to be a huge downside.

Meh, prolly won't be until '08 anyway.

messeduplilkid

• Larger than most fish
    • TheRoarer.
MacBook
« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2006, 16:33 »

I have been waiting for this to come. I've been waiting so hard.

*Tear*

Jareth

MacBook
« Reply #7 on: 17 May 2006, 21:55 »

Check out the specs. The black MacBook comes with a larger hard drive than the otherwise identical white version. Apple's not screwing you; you are getting more for the extra dollars. Personally, I'm saving for the MacBook Pro, mostly for the option to upgrade the hard drive to a 7200rpm instead of 5400. Everything else such as the better video card is gravy.

Edit - Never mind me. I missed the comment about this earlier.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
MacBook
« Reply #8 on: 17 May 2006, 21:58 »

My 'puter is already black.  Muahahahaha.

Catfish_Man

• Assorted Stuff
MacBook
« Reply #9 on: 18 May 2006, 00:36 »

Quote from: Jareth
The black MacBook comes with a larger hard drive than the otherwise identical white version. Apple's not screwing you; you are getting more for the extra dollars.

How is 20GB for $200 not screwing you? It should be like $5 given HD prices these days. :P

Jenno

• Furry furrier
MacBook
« Reply #10 on: 18 May 2006, 00:49 »

There's also the whole fact that my post stated that the price difference is after customising the white one such that the hard drive is the same size.

edscoble

MacBook
« Reply #11 on: 18 May 2006, 11:27 »

£200 more for just 80GB is not worth it, the glossy screen a bonus that even thought technically it doesn't make much difference, glossy screen is much better for the eyes, contrast look better.

I'd pick up the 2GHz white one, not a bad value for money for a laptop that can dual boot both OS very well.

I'd prefer the black one to have a superior 128mb non-shared graphic card, but it didn't.

Quote from: Inlander
My 'puter is already black.  Muahahahaha.

heh, mine too, expect for the sliver speaker, better spec than the MacBook too despite the resolution (1280x768) oh and it's got a glossy screen and I love it, thank fuck the MacBook have them now.

MrJoeBanglez

MacBook
« Reply #12 on: 30 May 2006, 07:49 »

LOL@ First Post.

Yeah, your HP might have better specs. However:

1) Glossy screen reflects light, creates glare. Personally, I don't like that.
2) MB/MBP can come in a glossy screen, if that's your thing. Free upgrade (or downgrade, however you see it)
3) How much does that HP weigh? How thick is it? Yeah, that's what I thought.

I got a MacBook Pro for work (I work as a Computer Technician, 3/5 of my time is spent fixing Macs) and I love it. Never used a Mac before, but I was a bigtime Linux person. So many nice features with Apple hardware.

No, I'm not a fanboy. Yes, the Black MB for $200 more is rediculous. But hey, it's certainly got a lot of nice features, you can't deny that.

edscoble

MacBook
« Reply #13 on: 30 May 2006, 09:07 »

ah ha the HP weight just 2.4kg, 0.1kg heavier than a 13inch MacBook and 0.1kg lighter than a 15inch MacBook Pro.

and the HP screen is also glossy, I love the glossy screen since it made the black blacker and white whiter, I tend to use it more for photography (Photoshop CS perform faster, despite it doesn't look as nice as the Mac version)

the thickness varies on the battery, i got two battery, one thick one and one small one, the small one managed a respectful 3 hours and the thick one probably exceeded that, but I didn't used it as it's heavier.

I don't know how much thicker it is, but I'm more interesting in the weight than the thickness, I'll let you judge the thickness by the appearance v

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
MacBook
« Reply #14 on: 30 May 2006, 22:57 »

Important question here: Where is the tilde (~) key?
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

edscoble

MacBook
« Reply #15 on: 30 May 2006, 23:47 »

the ~ key is on the left, next to the left shift button.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
MacBook
« Reply #16 on: 31 May 2006, 04:31 »

That is acceptable.

Wait, are we talking the HP or the mac here?
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

edscoble

MacBook
« Reply #17 on: 31 May 2006, 09:05 »

Mac, hasn't checked the HP one, the keyboard are pretty weird on the HP, a dastardly mixed of American and British keyboard.

Kaytea

MacBook
« Reply #18 on: 07 Jun 2006, 15:18 »

Quote from: Jenno
Yes, because it is definitely worth paying an extra AUD$210 just so your laptop is black instead of white.

One of the things, also, is that white is kind of Apple's signature colour, so I'd always choose white over black.

Phrozen

MacBook
« Reply #19 on: 07 Jun 2006, 17:45 »

White/Black is the new beige.

Silver forever!

Catfish_Man

• Assorted Stuff
MacBook
« Reply #20 on: 07 Jun 2006, 18:37 »

Quote from: Catfish_Man
If and only if that keyboard is good to type on (I have heard otherwise so far), I could see myself getting one of those.

Shit. I like the keyboard. I've also never seen spotlight find stuff as fast as it did in the original keynote demo of it before this.

*restrains self from buying new laptop*

edscoble

MacBook
« Reply #21 on: 07 Jun 2006, 19:57 »

Quote from: Catfish_Man

Shit. I like the keyboard. I've also never seen spotlight find stuff as fast as it did in the original keynote demo of it before this.

*restrains self from buying new laptop*

I know, Spotlight does sometime take a while, if your Intel Mac has 512mb, it'll feel like having Windows XP in 128mb, OS X need RAM.

thought in my last generation PowerBook, Spotlight tend to act faster mainly because I have 2GB of ram, and the iMac a mere 512mb, however Windows on the iMac is incredibly speedy which is not unexpected.

Phrozen

MacBook
« Reply #22 on: 07 Jun 2006, 22:31 »

OS X is a power hog. Its frustrating as hell.

My ibook has the 1.4ghz processor and 512 of ram, but my apps still run slow. I had to stop using Firefox on it because my system simply couldn't handle it.

And yes, Spotlight is slow, I greatly prefer the Microsoft Desktop search bar. It works so much faster. If only bootcamp was available for the older notebooks >.>

Catfish_Man

• Assorted Stuff
MacBook
« Reply #23 on: 07 Jun 2006, 22:39 »

Quote from: Phrozen

My ibook has the 1.4ghz processor and 512 of ram, but my apps still run slow. I had to stop using Firefox on it because my system simply couldn't handle it.

And yes, Spotlight is slow, I greatly prefer the Microsoft Desktop search bar. It works so much faster. If only bootcamp was available for the older notebooks >.>

Curious. My 1GHz/768MB PowerBook is pretty good until it starts paging (i.e. when I have Xcode and Photoshop open at the same time... I need more ram).

The MacBook I tried was a 1.83Ghz/1GB model. It was blindingly quick by comparison (although the spotlight speed is partly 'cause mine is searching a few hundred thousand more files).

edscoble

MacBook
« Reply #24 on: 07 Jun 2006, 23:13 »

upgrade the damn ram, and you'll be kissing the sweet white glossy thang, trust me, having at least a gigs of RAM make the damn thing files (assuming your model is the one with the 512mb built-in leaving a slot empty for another 512mb)

you have to considerate that Windows XP is 5 years old, and back then, 128mb is the system requirement, and I even remember that I was desperate to double the RAM to 256mb to make it speedy.

OS X is fairly new, have a bad habit of updating every years (not that I'm complaining) so the RAM requirement tend to increase, I've tested Vista on several occasion and found that it required more than 512mb, like OS X.

we're in a time where 1GB will become the norms in sub-£800 laptops, yet, as always Apple still managed to simply sell laptop with half the RAM than it's competitor (much like when they have 256mb while the competitor has a nice 512mb)

Mnementh

MacBook
« Reply #25 on: 07 Jun 2006, 23:47 »

867 Mhz/768 Mb RAM Powerbook and it runs like a charm.  Of course, the hinge is beat up after four years of abuse.  Check the Activities Monitor, or run top, I think you'll find that the hogs are your applications.  For instance, right now Firefox (a well known hog) is using something like 5-20% of my CPU, and 130 Mb RAM, just to type this post.

If you like Spotlight, but want something faster, install Quicksilver, and the flashlight theme.  It's a lot faster, easy to use (I have it set for Ctrl+Space), and completely changed how I navigate my machine.

Holy balls, my work machine is an Intel iMac specced out.  2Ghz/2Gb RAM.  Crap is it fast.

Catfish_Man

• Assorted Stuff
MacBook
« Reply #26 on: 08 Jun 2006, 00:13 »

Quote from: Mnementh
Holy balls, my work machine is an Intel iMac specced out.  2Ghz/2Gb RAM.  Crap is it fast.

That thing can compile Adium somewhere between 3 and 5 times as fast as my laptop. >.<

Phrozen

MacBook
« Reply #27 on: 08 Jun 2006, 01:17 »

The laptop I have came with 256 and was then upgraded to 512 so I'm assuming that both memory slots are now used up.

Besides, this tihng is just for web browsing and note-taking at school. I've used iMovie a couple times and I've been pleasently surprised by what it can do in there.

But what it really comes down to is this: Mac for work, PC for Play.

Valrus

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • moo hoo ha ha
MacBook
« Reply #28 on: 08 Jun 2006, 04:36 »

Quote from: Mnementh
If you like Spotlight, but want something faster, install Quicksilver, and the flashlight theme.  It's a lot faster, easy to use (I have it set for Ctrl+Space), and completely changed how I navigate my machine.

Quicksilver fucking stomps. Best app ever. Everyone who uses a Mac must acquire it immediately.

PS IT'S FREE
Quote from: Johnny C
Whatever you give up for Lent, it better not be your day job.

edscoble

MacBook
« Reply #29 on: 08 Jun 2006, 05:59 »

But what it really comes down to is this: Mac for work, PC for Play.

Oh I thought it's Mac for play, PC for work (unless you're talking about video games)

Phrozen

MacBook
« Reply #30 on: 08 Jun 2006, 07:58 »

Quote from: edscoble

Oh I thought it's Mac for play, PC for work (unless you're talking about video games)

On my mac I do nothing but writing and web browsing. If I need real power I go to the PC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up