Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AFI  (Read 13109 times)

Caspain

• Not quite a lurker
AFI
« on: 17 Jun 2006, 10:44 »

Just curious as to who enjoys this wonderful indie-gone-known band as much as I do.

As much as it pains me, I love Miss Murder dispite its popularity. XD

Discuss. Add on. Comment. Whatever.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
AFI
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jun 2006, 10:50 »

A good deal of people may scorn this thread..but I actually think A.F.I is okay (though they definitely used to be better.)
Hate, rain on me

Der Golem

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
    • http://www.ihavenowebsite.com
AFI
« Reply #2 on: 17 Jun 2006, 11:28 »

What's wrong with liking popular bands? Seems awfully childish.

daddsy

AFI
« Reply #3 on: 17 Jun 2006, 14:21 »

i have nothing against liking popular bands, but i can't stand miss murder. its fine up until the part where the rest of the band come in after the bass intro. and whats with his hair/makeup?

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
AFI
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jun 2006, 14:27 »

Miss Murder annoys me. The rhythm of the syllables of the words doesn't work in it.

Someone sent me one song from that album and I liked it. Not enough to buy the album. Then someone told me it was nothing like the rest of the record, so I had even less desire to buy it. I'm going to delete the MP3 as well, so I'm breaking the law less.

Sing The Sorrow had some okay songs on it.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

mediocrity_wire

AFI
« Reply #5 on: 17 Jun 2006, 14:39 »

I heard a girl call in on Loveline asking Davey Havok how his writing has evolved from old songs like Cereal Wars to stuff on Sing the Sorrow.
It was a pretty unintentionally funny question.

How do you take somebody who wrote a song named Cereal Wars seriously.

ramenXnoodles

AFI
« Reply #6 on: 17 Jun 2006, 15:25 »

I've liked them for a long time.
DU took time to grow on me though.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
AFI
« Reply #7 on: 17 Jun 2006, 17:29 »

click here it's hilarious

AFI were good... briefly. They started as a terrible punk band, churned out one good album and a passable follow-up, and are currently some embarrassing manner of Green Day / MTV-emo crossover.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
AFI
« Reply #8 on: 17 Jun 2006, 18:16 »

The best part of that is the switchoffs with the "HEY!"s.

I never particularly liked AFI. On the one hand it's kind of a shame because I like to mosh and they sound like good moshing music, but on the other hand I just don't like the songs. "Miss Murder," infectious bassline aside, has the same problem.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Luke

AFI
« Reply #9 on: 17 Jun 2006, 18:50 »

I'm pretty neutral as far as AFI is concerned. Some songs I like, some I don't.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
AFI
« Reply #10 on: 17 Jun 2006, 20:04 »

I definitely enjoyed their older works better (Dark Sails in the Sunset, Answer That and Stay Fashionable), but I still love AFI for their last two albums.

While their sound has changed dramatically (ex.2000-2003), nothing they've churned out has disappointed my ears. While their pop image is annoying, it hasn't rubbed off on their music too much (yet), so I'll let it pass. They've been a continual favourite with me since Answer That, and on their current route I don't see that changing anytime soon.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Kid Modernist

AFI
« Reply #11 on: 17 Jun 2006, 23:38 »

I liked AFI the most up to Black Sails in the Sunset and All Hallows EP. I liked them in that era a lot. I even sort of like The Art of Drowing for it's own merits. I liked how dark they were getting on Sing The Sorrow but lamenting the poor song writing and lyrics, and then Decemberunderground just blows.

Faw

AFI
« Reply #12 on: 18 Jun 2006, 01:20 »

See, I haven't listened to the new stuff out of utter fear of what they might've done.  New album syndrome always takes some of the best bands away from us. ETID, from first to last, probably underoath, ect.  I sit in terror of a new senses fail.

Rizzo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
AFI
« Reply #13 on: 18 Jun 2006, 01:32 »

They're my favourite band. In Decemberunderground's defense, most of it sounds nothing like miss murder... but counting against it is that fact that the rest of the album sounds like discorock with too many suicide references.

I think it's a good album but it's not nearly as good as The Art Of Drowning or Sing the Sorrow. I have to say I really those two. They seem so much more powerful than the others.
If anything the latest seems somewhat over the top in the same way that the early albums were over the top skatepunk.

And Davey Havok wears way too much makeup.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

chaosan

AFI
« Reply #14 on: 18 Jun 2006, 11:05 »

I thought Black Sails was good, but, damn, I hate Miss Murder. It just feels really trite and hollow to me. And WHAT is up with all these bands doing all of this  rally-the-troops fist in the air, pseudo revolutionary bullshit? Seriously bad song/video.

Oh, and Hi. OC rocks, yay music, etc. etc.

trolley

AFI
« Reply #15 on: 18 Jun 2006, 15:44 »

AFi put on a bloody good show, and sing the sorrow was a fab album. This Miss Murder song just seems like it was named to get maximum exposure via myspace and im screen names.

Also, most AFI fans are smelly, ugly goths.

Rizzo

• R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
AFI
« Reply #16 on: 18 Jun 2006, 20:39 »

Trolley; No, they're mostly stupid, vacuous emo kids and idiotic spooky kids who think Sing The Sorrow was their first album...
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

ALoveSupreme

• Beyoncé
    • http://www.facebook.com/heyheyrabbit
AFI
« Reply #17 on: 19 Jun 2006, 01:02 »

Quote from: Faw
 New album syndrome always takes some of the best bands away from us. ETID, from first to last, probably underoath, ect.  I sit in terror of a new senses fail.

...every band listed (with possible exception to Every Time) is not too great.

I heard the new song on some radio station awhile back and thought it was ome unfamiliar Green Day.  Later on a friend told me how much she thought the new AFI sounded like Green Day.  I put 2 and 2 together.

Ghostwriter

AFI
« Reply #18 on: 19 Jun 2006, 06:58 »

The Art of Drowning is one of my favorite albums ever.  Sing the Sorrow had a couple good songs on it, but I think they went sharply downhill with that album.

And yeah, Davey looks like he should be waving his lustrous hair around on shampoo commercials.  I don't really care, but he does look like he's trying to spearhead a Revlon ad campaign.

Rubby

• The German Chancellory building
    • http://members.shaw.ca/baby.snakes
AFI
« Reply #19 on: 19 Jun 2006, 09:45 »

Well AFI were my favorite band for years and years, ever since Very Proud of Ya was out. For a while I was mildly obsessed; I had all the live bootlegs and rare tracks, and knew all the words and bought all the releases. I still like ‘em just fine but their newer stuff isn’t making me care as much any more. Decemberunderground has some good moments (“Kiss and Control” is really good) but I just know they can do better.

trolley

AFI
« Reply #20 on: 21 Jun 2006, 12:17 »

Quote from: Rizzo
Trolley; No, they're mostly stupid, vacuous emo kids and idiotic spooky kids who think Sing The Sorrow was their first album...

Dunno if that's the case now, but i saw them about 4 years ago and could barely move for all the sweaty, fat goth chicks squishing me against their roles of fat and vile armpit odours. Certainly wasn't pleasant

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
AFI
« Reply #21 on: 21 Jun 2006, 14:07 »

i've been an afi fan for a long time (since very proud of ya came out). i really liked sing the sorrow when it came out but liked it less and less as time went on. now i think it is merely ok. i havent got the new album yet and i've only heard miss murder about 2 or 3 times and im not sure how feel about it. it didnt seem bad...but it didnt sound too impressive either. and the music video is awful.
davey havok looks more like a girl than ever. and i think his chin is getting even bigger by the day
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Re: AFI
« Reply #22 on: 21 Jun 2006, 16:25 »

Quote from: Caspain

I shall take this oppurtunity, to say that I hate this statement.

God forbid you like something that sells, eh?

Caspain

• Not quite a lurker
AFI
« Reply #23 on: 26 Jun 2006, 20:27 »

Quote from: tommydski
i listened to that mp3 for a joke.
yeah they are totally greenday now aren't they? not even the 'good' era of greenday. how odd.

Ok, I gotta get this off my chest. Green Day has yet to put out a bad album. They got different, they got popular, they got famous, they got *insert here*, but that doesn't change the fact that you all secretly like most the new songs and just want to fit in, thus you bash on them for their new sound.

Thats complete bullshit, because if they didn't change their sound you would be bitching about how they keep "putting out the same stuff."

I want an HONEST opinion on Green Day, not one from people who are scared to say they like something the masses hate.

Change leads to variety, variety is the spice of life, without change, life would be plain.

Grow up

/end rant

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
AFI
« Reply #24 on: 26 Jun 2006, 20:41 »

Honest opinion?

I never liked Green Day and thought they were hacks. Hacks who should probably stop trying to be Screeching Weasel. and now a political Screeching Weasel.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Caspain

• Not quite a lurker
Re: AFI
« Reply #25 on: 26 Jun 2006, 20:46 »

Quote from: DynamiteKid

I shall take this oppurtunity, to say that I hate this statement.

God forbid you like something that sells, eh?

I usually use the "XD" face to denote sarcasm and or general hijinx-type talking.

If I like the song, I listen to it.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
AFI
« Reply #26 on: 26 Jun 2006, 22:21 »

I've never liked Green Day, because they can't play their goddamn instruments, Armstrong can't sing, and their 'political lyrics' are bullshit a 10 year old child could think up.

OMG GUYS AMERICA IS LIEK SO DUM

Really, Billie Joe, why is that?

REDNECKS ADN TELEVISION

...Thank you, Billie. Now go jump off a cliff.

Then again, I dislike the vast majority of punk, even the real kind, so I'm not an unbiased opinion.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Melodic

• archive chin panties
AFI
« Reply #27 on: 26 Jun 2006, 22:48 »

I would have to agree that Green Day's 'political' lyrics are not, from my perspective, deep and meaningful. Hell, I wouldn't even call them political. It seems to me that the only reason Green Day ventured into political lyrics was to be even more 'rebellious', thus appealing to the angsty teenagers that the band is now marketing themselves to.

If they had a single stanza that represented a political opinion other than "fuck the government", I would look into changing my views on their scandelously shallow view of politics. There is nothing but mainstream rebellion behind those lyrics, and not a whisp of intellect or thought.

That being said, I do appreciate some of their music. 'International Superhits!' is still one of my most loved compilation albums of all time, and American Idiot still has a few songs I like when I can look past the shallow poetry.

Also, I officially apologize for helping in derailing this thread.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

OllieA

AFI
« Reply #28 on: 27 Jun 2006, 07:33 »

I think Green Day are fun.

And the Milton Keynes thing was good (although the vast majority of the crowd were not).

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
AFI
« Reply #29 on: 27 Jun 2006, 09:08 »

Behind the lyrics, possibly not. But the fact that they also said in interviews that they backed Kerry as the lesser of two evils and nothing else showed a bit of consideration. I think American Idiot was a good way of pandering to the Bush-hating masses and selling a shit-ton of records.

Aside from the lyrics, I still love a lot of the music on that album.

As for Milton Keynes...

The Green Day live show for the last two years has been nought but an elaborate puppet show. Ironic that he says 'remember whatever bastard is in power, stay true to yourself and be an individual' at EVERY FUCKING SHOW.

Felix

• Emoticontraindication
AFI
« Reply #30 on: 27 Jun 2006, 10:11 »

Quote from: chaosan
And WHAT is up with all these bands doing all of this  rally-the-troops fist in the air, pseudo revolutionary bullshit? Seriously bad song/video.

COME ON! It's obviously a tribute to their Pink Floyd's The Wall influences!

I got into AFI a bit before Sing The Sorrow, which I bought, because the other cds were too expensive.  Their music is cool on it, but the lyrics kinda annoyed me. T'was too much emo-deepness for me. When I feel a little punk comeback in me, I listen to their older stuff, but Sing The Sorrow is going to stay on my shelves for a bit. And I'm so not going to check out Decemberunderground. The name kills all hope for me to like the cd.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
AFI
« Reply #31 on: 27 Jun 2006, 12:15 »

Quote from: Felix
Quote from: chaosan
And WHAT is up with all these bands doing all of this  rally-the-troops fist in the air, pseudo revolutionary bullshit? Seriously bad song/video.

COME ON! It's obviously a tribute to their Pink Floyd's The Wall influences!

Don't disgrace that brilliant record in such a way.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
AFI
« Reply #32 on: 27 Jun 2006, 17:48 »

I think I liked "Girl's not grey", but I haven't heard anything else by these guys that I've liked.  When any of their recent stuff comes on the radio here at work I generally turn it down or off.

Also: I've never really liked Green Day.  Back at Uni a few of my friends were into them, but I couldn't see the appeal.  I think I just can't get past the guy's voice.  Not sure if it's the nasal whine or the affected half-english accent that I feel is an attempt to seem more old-school british punk (shit, I just realised that I've never heard the dude speak, so maybe that's just his accent?) but when the dude starts singing I want to punch his mouth until he stops.

Please note that I am a girly man whom the singer from Green Day could probably destroy in a fight.  This doesn't stop me from feeling like punching him in the mouth, it merely adds one more item to the reasonably long list of things (including the law, distance between us, common decency) stopping me from doing so.

Gryff

• Summary sense... tingling!
AFI
« Reply #33 on: 27 Jun 2006, 18:29 »

Ok, I gotta get this off my chest. Green Day has yet to put out a bad album. They got different, they got popular, they got famous, they got *insert here*, but that doesn't change the fact that you all secretly like most the new songs and just want to fit in, thus you bash on them for their new sound.

Thats complete bullshit, because if they didn't change their sound you would be bitching about how they keep "putting out the same stuff."

I want an HONEST opinion on Green Day, not one from people who are scared to say they like something the masses hate.

Change leads to variety, variety is the spice of life, without change, life would be plain.

Grow up

/end rant

Grow up? Yes, I did, and I guess that's part of the reason why I don't like Green Day a whole lot anymore. Dookie was great, and I still have a copy of it (even though I haven't listened to it in a long time), but it's just stupid fun teenage pop songs. Everything they've done since has been either an inferior facsimilie of Dookie era stuff or an over-ambitious and awkward attempt at being a "serious" band.

How can disliking them now have anything to do with popularity? Dookie sold 10 million!

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
AFI
« Reply #34 on: 27 Jun 2006, 21:34 »

Quote from: est
Please note that I am a girly man whom the singer from Green Day could probably destroy in a fight.  This doesn't stop me from feeling like punching him in the mouth, it merely adds one more item to the reasonably long list of things (including the law, distance between us, common decency) stopping me from doing so.

Dude, have you ever seen a Green Day video? The guy's a twig in eyeliner. You could tear him apart.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Caspain

• Not quite a lurker
AFI
« Reply #35 on: 03 Jul 2006, 19:55 »

Quote from: Gryff

Grow up

/end rant

Grow up? Yes, I did, and I guess that's part of the reason why I don't like Green Day a whole lot anymore. Dookie was great, and I still have a copy of it (even though I haven't listened to it in a long time), but it's just stupid fun teenage pop songs. Everything they've done since has been either an inferior facsimilie of Dookie era stuff or an over-ambitious and awkward attempt at being a "serious" band.

How can disliking them now have anything to do with popularity? Dookie sold 10 million!

Green Day hating wasn't an internet past-time then now was it?

And now back to AFI.

Gryff

AFI
« Reply #36 on: 03 Jul 2006, 21:04 »

What? Yeah, I guess my desperate need to be accepted by the internet caused me to dislike American Idiot.

As for AFI, all I'll say is it's not my thing. I'm not going to get into it any further than that.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
AFI
« Reply #37 on: 04 Jul 2006, 00:39 »

LOL IDIOT ON A GREEN DAY STARRING CHUCK NORRIS

YA RLY

EDIT: I'm pretty sure I've lifted garbage cans heavier than the guy from Green Day, and they probably put up a bigger fight. Davey Havok is nice but I refuse to like AFI based on that principle.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Rizzo

• R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
AFI
« Reply #38 on: 04 Jul 2006, 01:09 »

I'm not sure if you're implying that Havok is little and weedy but he's most assuredly not. In fact he's a pretty beefy mofo.
LOOK!
Beefy arms.

Spinless

AFI
« Reply #39 on: 04 Jul 2006, 09:09 »

She looks badass.
Like, prison dyke badass.

I don't like the new Green Day because I wanted to hear another record of short catchy popsongs. I was at the peak of green day fandom before American Idiot came out, the title track got leaked and I liked it. Then the album came out and I didn't. Shame, they have some newish tracks lying around that are still like the old green day that I loved.

I understand that punk is probably 70% fashion, but I didn't care when all Bille Joe Armstrong did was dye his hair a funky colour every month.

It's when they started dressing EXACTLY like My Chemical Romance with black shirts, red ties and mascara that I couldn't get behind the look anymore.

Green Day? Fuck Green Day.

AFI are better than Green Day because they stayed the same but evolved a new sound gradually. The dress the same, they talk the same, they just play with new toys. Sure, I don't like the new songs, but they didn't try to revolutionise themselves.

Rae7910819

AFI
« Reply #40 on: 04 Jul 2006, 19:12 »

I saw Greenday in concert last year... He does have an accent. Lol.. Anyways.. I like thier music, but I don't actually worship them or anything. I really do prefer the bands that don't try to make themselves into something unoriginal. >< They could really do WITHOUT the MCR look. Seriously...

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
AFI
« Reply #41 on: 05 Jul 2006, 07:15 »

Quote from: Rae7910819
I saw Greenday in concert last year... He does have an accent. Lol.. Anyways.. I like thier music, but I don't actually worship them or anything. I really do prefer the bands that don't try to make themselves into something unoriginal. >< They could really do WITHOUT the MCR look. Seriously...

GREEN
DAY.

TWO WORDS.

GREEN. DAY.

GET IT?

I know it doesn't matter, but that is a major pet peeve of mine.

Artiste Extraordinaire

AFI
« Reply #42 on: 05 Jul 2006, 07:47 »

I downloaded decemberunderground (not capitalised, no spaces.) and I must say, the only feeling this album gives me is embarrassment, like you don't want to get caught listening to it. Similar to masturbation, only not as fun. But I love (in a purely sarcastic, ironic way) what Davey Havok said about the album:

"decemberunderground is a time and a place. It is where the cold can huddle together in darkness and isolation. It is a community of those detached and disillusioned who flee to love, like winter, in the recesses below the rest of the world."

Makes me feel all warm inside.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
AFI
« Reply #43 on: 05 Jul 2006, 09:45 »

Dynamite.

Chill the fuck out dude.

Seriously, that was like the guys on the internet who make inane posts like "YOU SPELLED SUCH-AND-SUCH WRONG, YOU FUCKING IDIOT". But with music.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Garcin

AFI
« Reply #44 on: 05 Jul 2006, 10:20 »

Quote from: Kai
Seriously, that was like the guys on the internet who make inane posts like "YOU SPELLED SUCH-AND-SUCH WRONG, YOU FUCKING IDIOT".

*Looks sheepishly at feet.*

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
AFI
« Reply #45 on: 06 Jul 2006, 14:04 »

Quote from: Kai
Dynamite.

Chill the fuck out dude.

Seriously, that was like the guys on the internet who make inane posts like "YOU SPELLED SUCH-AND-SUCH WRONG, YOU FUCKING IDIOT". But with music.

I said it was a pet peeve.

It just bugs me. Misspelling something is one thing, but how can about 50% of this band's fans, who own their CDs and MP3s and must surely look at them whenever they use them, miss out a fucking space? I mean I'm sure Linkinpark don't get that, I'm sure Foofighters don't get that.

schimmy

• The Tickler
AFI
« Reply #46 on: 06 Jul 2006, 14:26 »

I think the reason is, in everyday conversation, people say Green Day as one word, Greenday, with no pause inbetween. The Foo Fighters, on the otherhand is generally said with a slight pause inbetween.
Plus there's, you know, the fact that Green Day shows just how bad a band name it is. I mean, GREEN... DAY... Writing it as Greenday ignores the meaning of the words, so the name doesn't seem quite so terrible, so the 13 year olds who listen to them don't have to realise that Green Day are, infact, not all that good.

Cartilage Head

• Do Me Baby
AFI
« Reply #47 on: 06 Jul 2006, 15:45 »

Uhh..
Hate, rain on me

Gryff

AFI
« Reply #48 on: 06 Jul 2006, 16:47 »

Quote from: schimmy
I think the reason is, in everyday conversation, people say Green Day as one word, Greenday, with no pause inbetween. The Foo Fighters, on the otherhand is generally said with a slight pause inbetween.
Plus there's, you know, the fact that Green Day shows just how bad a band name it is. I mean, GREEN... DAY... Writing it as Greenday ignores the meaning of the words, so the name doesn't seem quite so terrible, so the 13 year olds who listen to them don't have to realise that Green Day are, infact, not all that good.

IN
BETWEEN.

TWO WORDS.

IN. BETWEEN.

GET IT?

OTHER
HAND.

TWO WORDS.

OTHER. HAND.

GET IT?

IN
FACT.

TWO WORDS.

IN. FACT.

GET IT?

Artiste Extraordinaire

AFI
« Reply #49 on: 06 Jul 2006, 18:57 »

Quote from: schimmy

OH MY GOD! HERESY!! Next you'll be saying that Catcher in the Rye is a bad book.
Pages: [1]   Go Up