THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 13:15
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hope of the States.  (Read 2356 times)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Hope of the States.
« on: 18 Jun 2006, 15:08 »

I search for a topic on this band and about a gazillion came up, so I'm starting a new thread.

I love this band. Their debut album is so gloriously overblown and orchestral, despite being their first record. Even their early demos - of which there are enough to form I'd say about another three albums, all of high musical quality - are like, massive with shitloads of strings and stuff.

Their second album, Left, is out tomorrow. I've pre-ordered it from amazon, and I swear to God if this CD doesn't arrive on my doorstep tomorrow morning someone at their UK offices is going to lose their testicles, because I've been waiting for this album two damn years and I wouldn't have pre-ordered if 'pre-order' meant 'a day late.' I would've just gone into town and bought the damn thing instead.

Anyone know this band? I think they're unknown in the US ironically enough (although they're borderline unknown in England anyway!) but I'm not sure. Anybody heart of them?
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

ASturge

Hope of the States.
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jun 2006, 15:27 »

Eeeek, Nah, i do not like them really...

Now MATES of State!
There's a friggin' band!

OllieA

Hope of the States.
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jun 2006, 01:30 »

I've heard of them. Been wanting to get into them for a while now.

StupidityKills

Hope of the States.
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jun 2006, 09:38 »

They are fantastic!
I love the Lost Riots, and I saw them touring Left a few weeks ago and it sounds just as good.
They are also top blokes and do some very good club nights (Fugitives and Refugees) :)

Faw

Hope of the States.
« Reply #4 on: 19 Jun 2006, 11:52 »

I've heard 'em before a long time ago.  Didn't really tickle my fancy back then, but nothing i like now did either, so ill give them another listen.

Kill.kenada

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Lucky Blue Suit
Hope of the States.
« Reply #5 on: 19 Jun 2006, 13:04 »

theyre very good.
their first album is, as you say quite orchestral
their new stuff is a lot more indie pop
this one will definately be more successful

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Hope of the States.
« Reply #6 on: 19 Jun 2006, 16:23 »

Kill Kenada? I have one song of theirs called Red And Black and I love it, but I've never really put any effort into getting into them. I saw one other video of theirs about twice on MTV2 and haven't heard of them since.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Hope of the States.
« Reply #7 on: 20 Jun 2006, 07:02 »

Okay, so my copy of Left arrived today. A day late, it must be noted. What is the fucking point pre-ordering an album if they're going to deliver it to you on the day after it comes out? I would've just gone into town and bought the damn thing and saved myself the waiting.

Anyway, on first listen I didn't like it very much. I like it more on the second listen. I think that - like their other material - this album is going to steadily grow on me.

OpenJamie

Hope of the States.
« Reply #8 on: 21 Jun 2006, 08:09 »

I saw them live a couple of times arround Chichester while James Lawrence was their guitarist and they blew me away each time. I thought 'The Lost Riots' was fantastic.

I havent heard their new stuff yet, it's have alot to live up to and I'm worried I will be disapointed. I think they are playing the summer festivals so I'm sure I'll catch them somewhere.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Hope of the States.
« Reply #9 on: 21 Jun 2006, 11:06 »

Quote from: OpenJamie
I saw them live a couple of times arround Chichester while James Lawrence was their guitarist and they blew me away each time. I thought 'The Lost Riots' was fantastic.

I havent heard their new stuff yet, it's have alot to live up to and I'm worried I will be disapointed. I think they are playing the summer festivals so I'm sure I'll catch them somewhere.

It's a grower, so don't dump it after one listen. I've listened to it three times now and it's getting better each time.

Only three or four tracks are like Lost Riots. It's more of an anthemic indie quality now, than the expansive crescendoes they did before.
Pages: [1]   Go Up