THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 18:25
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Favorite Sega Genesis Games  (Read 18238 times)

avs2006

Favorite Sega Genesis Games
« on: 18 Jun 2006, 22:55 »

Of course, there's the obligatory EVERY SONIC GAME.

Vectorman 1 and 2 (anyone else remember these)

Outrun 2019 - this sparked my interest in racing games

Gauntlet

Mortal Kombat games

Boogerman - this was so much fun when I was a kid, and to this date the only M13+ game I have ever seen (Mature 13+)

The 'Strike' series - Jungle Strike, Desert Strike, Urban Strike - these games were so cool, the forerunner to GTA games in my book because you could just decide to blow up random buildings and use rediculously powerful missles to kill a single enemy person on the ground...

Combat Cars - me and my friends had so much fun playing this game, essentially a less 'childish' mario kart

Earthworm Jim Series - how can you not love a worm in a suit that makes him look like a legitimate superhero

F-22 Interceptor - Whoo was this a fun game, I can't tell you how many hours I would play this game for, just playing dogfights over and over

The Lost Vikings - When I finally beat this game, which had I believe 40-something levels, I was so happy; this was another huge time investment, but was so much fun

NBA Jam Tournament Edition - Wow, just wow... a 2 on 2 basketball game with powerups and 'hot spots' where amounts of points from 4-9 were awarded for making the shot... so much fun with 4 people here

Primal Rage - Dinosaurs fighting... 'nuff said

Taz: Escape from Mars - Taz was my favorite Looney Toons character, so naturally I would love the video game starring him; this was a difficult game, but after awhile, you get really good at it...

Wow, what a list... I had much fun reminiscing about my earlier video game years.  Feel free to criticize or contribute to a discussion of what I think was the greatest console system of it's time.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jun 2006, 06:57 »

Shining Force

Also, Lost Vikings.  I know you already mentioned it, but it deserves another shout-out.  btw, did you know that game was done by Blizzard?  HISTORY IS COOL

Also also, I was a huge fan of Road Rash.  Turn off the shitty music though; listening to the motorcycle engine noises makes for a purer experience anyway.

Also also also, Shining Force 2

DavidGrohl

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jun 2006, 10:33 »

Ghostbusters
Altered Beast
Chameleon Kid
Golden Axe
Mutant Football (something like that)
Wonder Boy (beta-tested it)

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jun 2006, 15:56 »

Sonic the Hedgehog 2. Obviously.

Rock 'n' Roll Racing. No one seems to remember this one, but it was an awesome futuristic isometric-view racing game with missiles and mines and a rockin' midi sountrack featuring 'Paranoid' and 'Born to be Wild' and such.

Micro Machines. Top down racing on desks, pool tables, toilet bowls etc. Actually Turbo Tournament was the best version because the cart had two extra slots for controllers built into it!

Flashback. This had the best graphics seen on the console, if you ask me. Plus it had a sweet mix of puzzles and action. Hard as nails though.

Oh man, so many good games. NBA Jam Tournament Edition, Brian Lara Cricket '96, Toejam and Earl 2, Mortal Kombat 2/Streetfighter 2, Earthworm Jim…

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #4 on: 19 Jun 2006, 16:43 »

Gryff

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jun 2006, 19:00 »

Alex Kidd in Miracle World for the serious win, but that was Master System not Mega Drive…

By the way, anyone ever finish this game? I've never met anyone who completed it aside from myself and my brother.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #6 on: 19 Jun 2006, 19:05 »

I have never finished any sega genesis games, ever.

I was too young in the day.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

will: wanton sex god

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #7 on: 19 Jun 2006, 23:39 »

Quote from: Gryff
Sonic the Hedgehog 2. Obviously.

Rock 'n' Roll Racing. No one seems to remember this one, but it was an awesome futuristic isometric-view racing game with missiles and mines and a rockin' midi sountrack featuring 'Paranoid' and 'Born to be Wild' and such.

pre-incredible pc games blizzard.

anywho, i had a bunch of silly games. i had the sonics, golden axe, some ring mastery type game, some game i cant even describe, REVOLUTION X, yeah.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #8 on: 24 Jun 2006, 23:57 »

YOU ALL LOSE

Shadowrun and Landstalker. WORD.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Gryff

« Reply #9 on: 25 Jun 2006, 18:04 »

Also, don't forget the Mean Bean Machine. Dr Robotnik was one mean mutha. And his game was the shit with two players.

twentyfour

« Reply #10 on: 26 Jun 2006, 23:52 »

Quote from: jhocking
Shining Force
Also also also, Shining Force 2

Snaps for Jhocking!

*snap, snap snap*

Aside from the Shining Force series I gotta say my favourite Genesis game was Gunstar Heroes. 2 player awesomeness! Then my last I'll mention. Xmen 2. Looked pretty cool and played pretty well too. Especially if (neat thingy I found out by accident) start a 2 player game then let player 2 die and then the game plays all smooth and fast for you even during massive explodey scenes(fans of this game will know the level I mean)

I'm gonna go back to lurkin now

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #11 on: 28 Jun 2006, 15:52 »

Quote from: twentyfour
I'm gonna go back to lurkin now

No!  Come hang out in "I Like Fish"!  We want to see more animations.

Kid Modernist

« Reply #12 on: 29 Jun 2006, 15:47 »

Pugsy
Bubsy
Landstalker
Greendog: The Beached Surfer Dude
Ecco the Dolphin
Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Wonderboy in Monster World
Pirates! Gold
Humans
Cool Spot
Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures
Shining in the Darkness

Alllll killer games.

Hustler

• Emoticontraindication
    • Nuclear Powered Toaster- A light-hearted look at a rather dark future.
« Reply #13 on: 30 Jun 2006, 16:34 »

General Chaos, big time.  Wasn't the biggest Genesis fan, but that game was awesome.

Bunnyman

« Reply #14 on: 03 Jul 2006, 03:52 »

You people disgust me.  How many posts and not one mention of

STREETS OF RAGE

Geez, people.  I'm questioning whether any of you actually had a Genesis.  (Ozymandias excepted...Shadowrun = win)

Zombiefish

« Reply #15 on: 04 Jul 2006, 22:25 »

Quote from: Bunnyman

STREETS OF RAGE

Geez, people.  I'm questioning whether any of you actually had a Genesis.  (Ozymandias excepted...Shadowrun = win)

Seriously where's the love for streets of rage?
Shadowrun is amazing but it is also on the SNES

My contribution would have to be Comix Zone...

Man I love that game

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #16 on: 05 Jul 2006, 07:09 »

Shadowrun for the SNES is a weak point and click RPG/mystery game. It sucks compared to the incredible mind-blowing open-ended perfect sandbox cyberpunk game that is Shadowrun for the Genesis.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Kirbo

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
    • http://www.kirbo.thejefffiles.com
« Reply #17 on: 08 Aug 2006, 12:01 »

Gain Ground. Trust me.
"Are you really the messiah?
Yes I am." - Gord Downie

http://www.kirbo.thejefffiles.com/twisb.html

tetrahedron

« Reply #18 on: 08 Aug 2006, 13:50 »

shinobi.  and i'm going to second streets of rage.  also mortal kombat (which wasn't just sega, yeah).

malloryfrancesca

« Reply #19 on: 08 Aug 2006, 16:14 »

i had my brother's sega genesis...and our mom didn't like us playing games so we only had

sonic 2
echo the dolphin!!
sonic pinball
roadrage???
streets of rage

so i guess those would be my favs

LordJaffa

« Reply #20 on: 12 Aug 2006, 17:37 »

My favourites would probably be
Streets of rage - Best game of all time and until now I had forgotten the name completely.
Sonic 3 with knuckles - The Sonic and knuckles cartridge with the Sonic 3 cartridge slotted into the top. Hyper tails for the win!
My 3rd favourite was a fighting game which I don't remember the name of, but it had a big yellow creature as one of the characters, it was hunched over all the time and it could do a sonic style spin for one of it's attacks.
Sadly, I have to place the original Mortal Kombat at number 4, even though I will never forget these three words... GET OVER HERE! ~~~~~~~>

Edit: There's too much nostalgia flooding back to me! I have to get my Megadrive out of the loft tomorrow :).

doos

« Reply #21 on: 12 Aug 2006, 20:11 »

Sonic 3 and Knuckles was pretty good, but nothing really compares to Sonic 2. And I recall skipping school quite a few times to play Streets of Rage.

The Contra game for Genesis... can't remember the name right now... while not better than III by a long shot, was so incredibly hard that I had to cheat to beat it. Not worth it, but a total effing blast to play.

Yeah, and MK for Sega was good, especially with the blood code. ABACABB.

ChaosTriangle

« Reply #22 on: 21 Aug 2006, 10:32 »

Gunstar Heroes.  Gunstar fucking Heroes.

mysteriousbriefcase

« Reply #23 on: 21 Aug 2006, 10:49 »

mk2 and any sonic game.  i was such a whore for sonic.

Nutsaur

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #24 on: 21 Aug 2006, 22:00 »

Landstalker was awesome. For those of you that played it I wonder if you had the same problem as me. I'd play it for hours, save my game, turn off the Mega Drive and then when I turned my system on again my save was gone so to finish the game I had to leave it on for weeks. That made the game rather difficult to complete because of power cuts and people standing on my Mega Drive.

rr112233

« Reply #25 on: 24 Aug 2006, 23:03 »

Ren and Stimpy.
Sonic 2, Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Sonic 3D Blast (Most hate it, but I loved it.)
Streets of Rage.
RISTAR (WHY NO MENTION? :( )
Battletoads & Double Dragons
SONIC CD
TETRIS
Lion King
Jurassic Park
COLUMNS
Knuckles Chaotix (Although I never owned it...just emulated.)

Almost every game for Genesis was great.

Edit: How could I forget, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers - The Movie!

ComfortEagle

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #26 on: 26 Aug 2006, 06:57 »

Quote from: Bunnyman

STREETS OF RAGE

I had Streets of Rage two, I used the little rolle blading kid, but the game was a typical button masher.

Skittish

« Reply #27 on: 26 Aug 2006, 10:25 »

Sonic the Hedgehog, Super Street Fighter II, World Series Baseball, X-Men.

shinyhunter

« Reply #28 on: 05 Sep 2006, 23:58 »

The Phantasy Star games
Sonic & Knuckles + Sonic 3
Altered Beast
MK games
Ecco 2
Shinobi

edcho7000

« Reply #29 on: 06 Sep 2006, 07:31 »

it's good to see a landstalker shout out.  that game totally rocked.  for me i'd have to say phantasy star 4.  with honorable mentions to shining force 1 and 2, nhlpa 93 (i hate hockey but love this game) toejam and earl, strider, and flashback.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #30 on: 06 Sep 2006, 08:56 »

I played thisplatformer once in which your chracter is an anthropomorphic star.

It was pretty good.. but I don't remember much about it.
Hate, rain on me

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #31 on: 06 Sep 2006, 11:02 »

Quote from: Ozymandias
Shadowrun for the SNES is a weak point and click RPG/mystery game. It sucks compared to the incredible mind-blowing open-ended perfect sandbox cyberpunk game that is Shadowrun for the Genesis.

omg yeah I forgot about that.  When I was thinking of the Shadowrun game I was thinking of the crappy SNES game, and I totally forgot that the Shadowrun game on Genesis is completely different.  That game was sooooo awesome. *goes to download rom*

Bostic

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
    • http://bosticman.com  myspace.com/bosticman
« Reply #32 on: 07 Sep 2006, 17:24 »

Streets of Rage 2 for me. The sound of Max snapping the backs of the thugs just can't be beat. The boss music was the best as well.

I worked for Sega on the phone support line from 93-94. If you were good with your stats you could play video games while working. My cube mate and I racked up hours and hours of Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat. The games that the support folk hated the most to provide help: Landstalker, Shining Force, Star Trek. I would walk by cubes and instantly know it was a Landstalker call without even having to make eye contact. You could hear the stress and impatience in their voices. My specialty was Dungeons & Dragons - Warriors of the Eternal Sun.

Smythe

« Reply #33 on: 08 Sep 2006, 09:57 »

I loved Golden Axe and micro machines, and of course all of the sonic games, although I prefer the Master system sonic games.

ALoveSupreme

• Beyoncé
    • http://www.facebook.com/heyheyrabbit
« Reply #34 on: 09 Sep 2006, 09:18 »

Quote from: Bostic

I worked for Sega on the phone support line from 93-94. If you were good with your stats you could play video games while working. My cube mate and I racked up hours and hours of Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat. The games that the support folk hated the most to provide help: Landstalker, Shining Force, Star Trek. I would walk by cubes and instantly know it was a Landstalker call without even having to make eye contact. You could hear the stress and impatience in their voices. My specialty was Dungeons & Dragons - Warriors of the Eternal Sun.

I'm confused on what you actually did.  Don't get me wrong, it sounds interesting, but I never heard of any video game support line... ??

Anyway, major second on Primal Rage, though I think as a coin-op it was probably one of my favorite fighting games of all time as far as characters and control style.

General C.H.A.O.S. was sweet also.

I got weirded out and made to feel really old when someone replied that they were "too young" to have experienced Sega Gen.

arcat

« Reply #35 on: 09 Sep 2006, 16:26 »

Quote from: Ozymandias

You are a fool. The SNES shadowrun is one of the most beautiful, encapsulating, and..uh..sort of irritating...cyberpunk RPGs of ever. We're talking Neuromancer level. The genesis Shadowrun is forgotten because it is worlds and worlds less original and slick.

Vectorman is in my genesis fav'z just for the titlescreen, but Sonic and Knuckles will always be my favorite-just because it's so nostalgic and it can plug into Sonic 3. So cool. So, so cool. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about-I'm a nintendork. :(

rage

« Reply #36 on: 13 Sep 2006, 19:38 »

Moonwalker ftw.

oh, and...

Shinobi 3

Gunstar heroes

Sunset Riders

Colums

Sonic Spinball

EDIT: Almost forgot about Zero Wing.  Not so much great for the gameplay, but...  who am I kidding?  You already know....

Cap'n Treacherous

• Not quite a lurker
    • http://www.pressstartcomic.com
« Reply #37 on: 13 Sep 2006, 21:33 »

Quote from: hey_there_fatty
I played thisplatformer once in which your chracter is an anthropomorphic star.

It was pretty good.. but I don't remember much about it.

You're thinking of Ristar.  It's good.

When people mention Streets of Rage, they should be specifying Streets of Rage 2.  1 was good but old and limited, 3 had interesting ideas like branching storylines and weapon-based specials, but had lame characters and horrible music (they didn't have Yuzo Koshiro composing for them that time... his music was half the fun of SoR2).

The Genesis always leaned towards action and platformer-y games, which aren't really my bag.  I do enjoy beat 'em ups but dislike the pitfalls of platformers and the cheap bullet patterns of shmups.  I guess my favorite console genres come down to beat 'em ups, RPGs, and exploration adventure games.  SNES fulfills two out of those three for me (Earthbound, Super Metroid), Genesis fills the third (Streets of Rage 2).

My favorite beat 'em ups never made it to consoles in the US though (Alien vs. Predator, Dungeons and Dragons: Shadow over Mystara).  It was a long time before a truly worthy beat 'em up ever came out around here, and that was Viewtiful Joe.  Since then... meh.
"He was a zombie?"

Revenge_Therapist

« Reply #38 on: 14 Sep 2006, 11:18 »

The Buck Rogers role player was awesome.
Shadowrun.
Shining in the Darkness

GuitarJunkie

« Reply #39 on: 14 Sep 2006, 16:42 »

Nobody mentioned Road Rash?

Come on!

It's beating people up.

WHILST RACING ON MOTORBIKES!

I agree with SOR2 being the superior out of the 3. Even if you couldn't play as a kangeroo.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #40 on: 14 Sep 2006, 18:20 »

Also also, I was a huge fan of Road Rash.  Turn off the shitty music though; listening to the motorcycle engine noises makes for a purer experience anyway.

GuitarJunkie

« Reply #41 on: 14 Sep 2006, 18:58 »

Oops my mistake.

screwjack

Re: Favorite Sega Genesis Games
« Reply #42 on: 04 Oct 2006, 04:38 »

Shadowrun, which was far superior on Genesis.  Rock and Roll Racing, better on SNES. 

Kings bounty was good.  As was Starflight... all those *brukka brukka brukka* noises your little tank/probe thing made on the planets are sweet.  Not to mention the galaxy was diferent every time you played, but you were always doomed to lose (at least I was).

Maedros

« Reply #43 on: 04 Oct 2006, 16:33 »

Shadowrun was the absolute shit on Genesis. Also Mutant Football and Hockey were really great. I played the hell out of my system with plenty of games, but those are the only ones that I remember standing out a bunch.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #44 on: 04 Oct 2006, 16:50 »

It was a long time before a truly worthy beat 'em up ever came out around here, and that was Viewtiful Joe.  Since then... meh.

You may be interested to know that the development studio that produced Viewtiful Joe is making another beat-em-up called God Hand. It's coming out next week and it sounds pretty good from what I've read.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Cap'n Treacherous

• Not quite a lurker
    • http://www.pressstartcomic.com
« Reply #45 on: 05 Oct 2006, 07:46 »

It was a long time before a truly worthy beat 'em up ever came out around here, and that was Viewtiful Joe.  Since then... meh.

You may be interested to know that the development studio that produced Viewtiful Joe is making another beat-em-up called God Hand. It's coming out next week and it sounds pretty good from what I've read.

Interesting... thanks for the info.

Now I have another reason to finally get a PS2 (first one was God of War)
"He was a zombie?"

NERO

• Not quite a lurker
  • Honk. Just honk.
« Reply #46 on: 07 Oct 2006, 01:06 »

How dare all of you forget the master peicet that was The Ooze?!

TheGrinder

« Reply #47 on: 09 Oct 2006, 05:46 »

Madden 97

Sonic 2

Mortal Kombat (the blood was sooooooooooooo cool!)

The Hammered

« Reply #48 on: 19 Oct 2006, 07:50 »

When my Genesis was put into storage for several months, we lost the A/V cable. I do, however, have this old PC compilation that had some good games on it.

The Sonic games were great, of course. My favorite is Sonic 2 by far. Also, Sonic Spinball is really underrated and Sonic 3D Blast is utter shit.

Streets of Rage was also great, but I don't remember which one I have.

I have Shining Force 2 on the PC compilaation mentioned above. I never got very far in it, but I like it.

The extra letter

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #49 on: 22 Oct 2006, 07:17 »

I didn't have a Mega Drive as a kid, but I did have a Master System. Alex Kidd in Miracle World, Wonder Boy in Monster Land, Fantasy Zone and Dragon Crystal all helped in their own ways to turn me into the videogame fiend I am now.
Hush, may I ask you all for silence? The dreamer is still asleep.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up