THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 12:34
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Wilco Week!  (Read 12732 times)

pat101

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • A Minor Mass
Wilco Week!
« on: 27 Jun 2006, 01:16 »

I'm seeing them this saturday, so celebrate with me here!

Spartan Pho3nix

Wilco Week!
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jun 2006, 02:15 »

yhf is an amazing album. One of the best of the century.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Wilco Week!
« Reply #2 on: 27 Jun 2006, 09:15 »

YHF is no major cultural achievement. It's not even the best album by Wilco.

You're seeing them live? I didn't even know they were touring. They have a fucking new album to make.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
Wilco Week!
« Reply #3 on: 27 Jun 2006, 09:24 »

YHF is my favourite album by Wilco, but I reckon they've had better one, it's just that YHF happened at a special time for me.
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Wilco Week!
« Reply #4 on: 27 Jun 2006, 09:36 »

Hey, YHF is my favourite Wilco record too, but I think that Summerteeth and Ghost are both just better records, even with the mess that was Less Than You Think.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Wilco Week!
« Reply #5 on: 27 Jun 2006, 09:43 »

DynamiteKid, I disagree with pretty much everything you said in that post. The other Wilco albums (the parts I've heard anyways) are incredibly good but YHF is the most immaculately-constructed, melodically brilliant album they've produced. And I'm pretty pumped to see them live, pat101.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
Wilco Week!
« Reply #6 on: 27 Jun 2006, 09:47 »

I personally love Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, but I honestly think I like Summerteeth better. The thing is they are very different albums. And then A.M. and YHF are tied for second.

I'm seeing Wilco twice this summer guys! I'm so excited! They're one of my top ten favourite bands. I'm seeing them on July 17th here in Toronto and the in Chicago in August.
I like the way you work it.

Houdinimachine

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
    • http://www.myspace.com/houdinimachine/
Wilco Week!
« Reply #7 on: 27 Jun 2006, 10:03 »

I think Ghost has grown on me to the point that I'd say it's almost as good as YHF, but it doesn't have the same highs that YHF does.
She gave me a pen. I gave her my heart and she gave me a pen.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Wilco Week!
« Reply #8 on: 27 Jun 2006, 12:14 »

I disagree. I think that if Yankee was a forty-minute album that ended with that sampled voice saying 'Yankee Hotel Foxtrot' it'd be brilliant. But 'Reservations' is just such a shit song, I can't get past it. Ugly chords, an ugly melody...a decent lyric, I suppose. It just ruins the whole thing for me. I think that apart from that, it's one dizzying high.

Now you may say that 'Less than You Think' is the same effect, but even without those 15 wasted minutes (and to be fair, it and 'Reservations' are the same song essentially.) Ghost has 53 minutes of songs which, while not as much of a piece as YHF, are all fantastic, work brilliantly in order, all have wonderful music, magnificent crescendoes. Not only that, but the 'tour edition' comes with two more fabulous songs, 'Panthers' and 'Kicking TV,' totalling an hour of great stuff.

pat101

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • A Minor Mass
Wilco Week!
« Reply #9 on: 27 Jun 2006, 23:58 »

Quote from: DynamiteKid

You're seeing them live? I didn't even know they were touring. They have a fucking new album to make.

Touring Canada, I'm seeing them on Canada Day no less.
I think it's 'cause we rock up here.

Switch

• Not quite a lurker
Wilco Week!
« Reply #10 on: 28 Jun 2006, 00:35 »

I'm partial to Being There. It took me five or six listens to appreciate it, and I haven't heard much of Ghost, but everytime Dreamer in my Dreams comes on I can't help but smile. And everytime Someone Else's Song comes one I can't help but frown.
Do you ever take drugs so that you can have sex without crying?

sjbrot

Wilco Week!
« Reply #11 on: 28 Jun 2006, 01:04 »

I'm a Summerteeth fan myself. I just believe that the songs are better pop songs then what was on YHF. Yankee was without a doubt the better produced album, but a lot of my favorite tunes come off Summerteeth. Ghost has always seemed like a bit of cold album for the most part. I love it as well, but it still just doesn't hit me like Summerteeth or Yankee.

And it might be a while before we see another Wilco album. They've just about done touring behind Kicking Television, but who knows? They might just decide to go out again after they release the rumoured Jeff Tweedy solo DVD.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Wilco Week!
« Reply #12 on: 28 Jun 2006, 09:04 »

I read a Q article last year where they'd already planned a new album for 2006. His first post-addiction record. I mean plans could have changed, but still.

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
Wilco Week!
« Reply #13 on: 28 Jun 2006, 12:30 »

Quote from: sjbrot
I'm a Summerteeth fan myself. I just believe that the songs are better pop songs then what was on YHF. Yankee was without a doubt the better produced album, but a lot of my favorite tunes come off Summerteeth. Ghost has always seemed like a bit of cold album for the most part. I love it as well, but it still just doesn't hit me like Summerteeth or Yankee.

thank you. what i was thinking to a tee. damnit, this thread always makes me want to list to all my wilco albums! i don't think i've got time for that but i'm definately going to listen to a.m. and summerteeth.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Wilco Week!
« Reply #14 on: 28 Jun 2006, 13:56 »

'Misunderstood' is my favourite song on Being There simply because it was COMPLETELY different to ANYTHING on AM. Wonder if any alt-country reviewers were expecting some polite yee-haw opener and got I'D LIKE TO THANK YOU ALL FOR NOTHING AT ALL!

sjbrot

Wilco Week!
« Reply #15 on: 28 Jun 2006, 22:48 »

Definitely with you on "Misunderstood". Still, a lot of the rest of the album still sounds like the same band that recorded A.M., and I'm not just saying that because the banjo makes a reappearance.

chamberk

Wilco Week!
« Reply #16 on: 28 Jun 2006, 23:49 »

A Ghost is Born has some damn good songs, but stuff like Handshake Drugs and Hell is Chrome kinda bores me.  (Some of them are much better live, though.)

YHF shakes me and breaks me and I love it.

Being There, I haven't gotten into as much as I'd like.  What I've heard I like, but it hasn't ever made me yearn to listen to it.

pat101

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • A Minor Mass
Wilco Week!
« Reply #17 on: 29 Jun 2006, 00:27 »

Alright does anyone know of a tracklist for the current tour OR where I could possibly find one? Also does anyone know who the hell is opening?? I can't find this information and everyone I've asked doesn't know, this is vexing.

pat101

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • A Minor Mass
Wilco Week!
« Reply #18 on: 29 Jun 2006, 01:04 »

well I found out who's opening some band called "Elliott Brood" anybody know them? I heard one song they sounded decent.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Wilco Week!
« Reply #19 on: 29 Jun 2006, 12:12 »

Definitely with you on "Misunderstood". Still, a lot of the rest of the album still sounds like the same band that recorded A.M., and I'm not just saying that because the banjo makes a reappearance.

I know, which is the best thign ABOUT Misunderstood. It's nothing like the rest of the album either.

tweedyfarrar

Wilco Week!
« Reply #20 on: 29 Jun 2006, 12:17 »

A little harsh arent ya man.  They have been recording new material and a couple of the new songs even show up in concert.  Tweedy has also just released a Loose Fur album with a new Golden Smog effort due out in July.  Stiratt and Sassone released an Autumn Defense album not too long ago.  Glenne Kotche just released a solo album.  The guys are not exactly sitting around on their haunches.

As for YHF, I happen to love every second of it, but I guess that is just a personal preference.

Johnny C

• Mentat
Wilco Week!
« Reply #21 on: 29 Jun 2006, 12:26 »

I agree with you, startlingly-appropriate-name. I still need to hear Loose Fur, but I'm excited to hear some of the new Wilco tunes.

ALSO I LOVE "RESERVATIONS"

Houdinimachine

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
    • http://www.myspace.com/houdinimachine/
Wilco Week!
« Reply #22 on: 29 Jun 2006, 12:30 »

Theologians is the song that really got me going hard on Ghost.

My favorite Wilco song is actually the duet with Billy Bragg on "Way Over Yonder in the Minor Key."
She gave me a pen. I gave her my heart and she gave me a pen.

sjbrot

Wilco Week!
« Reply #23 on: 29 Jun 2006, 19:01 »

Elliott Brood (http://www.myspace.com/elliottbrood) are opening for all the dates this side of the border. You know, the crazy alt-country Canadians who instead of a bass drum have a suitcase.

Marauder

Wilco Week!
« Reply #24 on: 29 Jun 2006, 21:15 »

I'll be seeing them on the fifteenth of July; can't wait.

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
Wilco Week!
« Reply #25 on: 29 Jun 2006, 22:18 »

Quote from: Johnny C
I LOVE "RESERVATIONS"

ME TOO

Jenno

• Furry furrier
Wilco Week!
« Reply #26 on: 30 Jun 2006, 01:26 »

There is a torrent on etree of the YHF Demos, if you consider yourself a Wilco fan it is definitely worth a download and listen. It has a few alternate songs and a few that just didn't make it onto the album.

I'm avoiding a direct link to the torrent cause I'm not really sure about the legality of that where QC is hosted. It's very easy to find though.

Johnny C

• Mentat
Wilco Week!
« Reply #27 on: 30 Jun 2006, 04:30 »

Quote from: Gryff
I LOVE "RESERVATIONS"

ME TOO

LET'S START A BAND

alyosha

Wilco Week!
« Reply #28 on: 30 Jun 2006, 07:19 »

YHF will always be my favorite, simply because it was my first.  I remember the first time I heard "I Am Trying to Break Your Heart"  come over the speakers at Barnes and Noble.  I immediately stopped stocking the shelves, and ran to the music department to find out what CD we were listening to.  For a while, I thought I was the only person who listened to this weird, but utterly amazing band.  Then my very musical cousin played something off the album at my family's campfire, and I was the only person who could sing along.  About 2 years later, I was in NYC, and, lo and behold, Wilco was headlining at MSG on New Year's Eve.  I  was utterly amazed, astounded, and excited-- and cursing myself because the concert was sold out...

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Wilco Week!
« Reply #29 on: 30 Jun 2006, 08:24 »

Quote from: tweedyfarrar

A little harsh arent ya man.  They have been recording new material and a couple of the new songs even show up in concert.  Tweedy has also just released a Loose Fur album with a new Golden Smog effort due out in July.  Stiratt and Sassone released an Autumn Defense album not too long ago.  Glenne Kotche just released a solo album.  The guys are not exactly sitting around on their haunches.

Why am I a little harsh for wanting them to make the new album? I never implied they were lazy or sitting around.

La Creme

Wilco Week!
« Reply #30 on: 30 Jun 2006, 16:35 »

Confession Time:

I don't like A Ghost Is Born very much at all.

YHF and Summerteeth are both amazing, but YHF is definately their best album and, yes, one of the best albums of ever.

Gryff

Wilco Week!
« Reply #31 on: 01 Jul 2006, 05:25 »

I LOVE "RESERVATIONS"

ME TOO

LET'S START A BAND

OKAY. LET'S CALL OURSELVES 'QUOTE TUNNEL'

ASturge

Wilco Week!
« Reply #32 on: 01 Jul 2006, 06:07 »

how about "Penis Eyes"
or "Penis: The Band"

?

Merkava

Wilco Week!
« Reply #33 on: 01 Jul 2006, 21:03 »

I know, which is the best thign ABOUT Misunderstood. It's nothing like the rest of the album either.

I dunno. The random noise blasts are pretty much repeated, albeit slower, on Sunken Treasure (which is actually my favorite on the album; Misunderstood comes in at a close second). I wish more sounded like those two songs. I guess that's why I was able to warm up to YHF eventually.

I hate A Ghost is Born for the most part, though. Maybe I need to listen to it again, but I found it exeedingly boring when I first got it. It's a good thing I decided to check out their other stuff. Besides the first track, Wilco kinda made a bad first impression on me with Ghost. I love the band now, thank God.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Wilco Week!
« Reply #34 on: 02 Jul 2006, 13:06 »

Quote from: Merkava

I dunno. The random noise blasts are pretty much repeated, albeit slower, on Sunken Treasure (which is actually my favorite on the album; Misunderstood comes in at a close second). I wish more sounded like those two songs. I guess that's why I was able to warm up to YHF eventually.

Well yes, but ...Treasure (which I might even like more than Misunderstood, it seems to be one the band overlook quite a bit) is still a lot slower, and a lot less noisy.

I hate A Ghost is Born for the most part, though. Maybe I need to listen to it again, but I found it exeedingly boring when I first got it. It's a good thing I decided to check out their other stuff. Besides the first track, Wilco kinda made a bad first impression on me with Ghost. I love the band now, thank God.

Now, I can accept disliking of Ghost... but I really don't think it's boring. Say what you like about the crescendoes on 'At Least That's What You Said' and 'Muzzle Of Bees,' but boring they ain't.

Johnny C

• Mentat
Wilco Week!
« Reply #35 on: 02 Jul 2006, 20:52 »

Merkava, did you listen to "Hummingbird" or were your ears too plugged with crap to realize that you were listening to one of the awesomest pop songs ever?

(NOTE: I MEAN IF YOU DIDN'T LIKE IT THAT'S OKAY. I HOPE YOU DO NOT TAKE THE PREVIOUS SENTENCE TOO SERIOUSLY. ALTHOUGH "HUMMINGBIRD" IS GREAT AND I SUGGEST YOU RECONSIDER IT IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT.)

Anyways, Wilco live is definitely to be loved and appreciated and man are they ever good. One hour and forty-five minutes of tunes people. That is like three sets for a lesser band.

Atrocity Exhibition

Wilco Week!
« Reply #36 on: 02 Jul 2006, 21:41 »

this is a shade off topic, but when I saw the title of the thread, it reminded me that I chanced upon a Documentary based on Wilco during the time that YHF was being finished and released. I enjoyed it quite a lot, especially being a wilco fan. The name, for those interested, is I Am Trying To Break Your Heart, and it sometimes runs on the Sundance channel.

Johnny C

• Mentat
Wilco Week!
« Reply #37 on: 02 Jul 2006, 21:48 »

It is also available on DVD with some tremendously entertaining extras, including a video in which you hear an early mastering of "I'm The Man Who Loves You" and watch the band having some fun. Which is surprising, considering the context.

pat101

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • A Minor Mass
Wilco Week!
« Reply #38 on: 03 Jul 2006, 16:49 »

well I can offically say that the Wilco show was PROBABLY the best thing to ever happen to me, really it was amazing.

sjbrot

Wilco Week!
« Reply #39 on: 03 Jul 2006, 21:10 »

I've only got one one thing to say about the show: A massive, double-encore punch of amazing.

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
Wilco Week!
« Reply #40 on: 08 Jul 2006, 09:26 »

Saw them yesterday at Massey Hall in Toronto. I'm so happy they played Kingpin. That was one of the best of the night.

Other highlights included:
-Jeff Tweedy calling us "motherfuckers" and then appoligizing for it for the rest of the show.
-the second fucking encore
-how amazing everything from A Ghost is Born sounded
-the playing of Heavy Metal Drummer, Misunderstood, Via Chicago, I Am Trying To Break Your Heart, Spiders, Handshake Drugs, I'm The Man Who Loves You, At Least That's What You Said and the aforementioned Kingpin.
-the playing of 4 new ones.
-the fact that no one in the group outshined anyone else, they were all incredible. However like many I have a huge bias towards Mr. Tweedy, who still looked badass with a cast on his right foot.

pat101

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • A Minor Mass
Wilco Week!
« Reply #41 on: 08 Jul 2006, 09:57 »

I just got the bootleg of the Winnipeg show it was amazing, the setlist was as follows.

Airline to Heaven
Forget the Flowers
Handshake Drugs
A Shot in the Arm
At Least That's What You Said
IATTBYH>
Spiders (Kidsmoke)
Hell Is Chrome
War on War
Jesus, etc.
Hummingbird
Walken
Theologians
I'm The Man Who Loves You
Monday
--------------------------------
Passenger Side
Via Chicago
Kingpin
California Stars
The Late Greats
I'm A Wheel

it was amazing.

SeanBateman

Wilco Week!
« Reply #42 on: 08 Jul 2006, 13:01 »

Quote from: pat101
I just got the bootleg of the Winnipeg show it was amazing, the setlist was as follows.

Airline to Heaven
Forget the Flowers
Handshake Drugs
A Shot in the Arm
IATTBYH>
Spiders (Kidsmoke)
Hell Is Chrome
War on War
Jesus, etc.
Hummingbird
Walken
Theologians
Monday
Passenger Side
Via Chicago
Kingpin
California Stars
The Late Greats
I'm A Wheel

it was amazing.

If you could uhhhh share that bootleg, through a ysi or a rapidshare, or whatever, I would love you, possibly forever.

Defy, me, and I will ruin you.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Wilco Week!
« Reply #43 on: 08 Jul 2006, 15:48 »

Quote from: SeanBateman
Quote from: pat101

Airline to Heaven
Forget the Flowers
Handshake Drugs
A Shot in the Arm
IATTBYH>
Spiders (Kidsmoke)
Hell Is Chrome
War on War
Jesus, etc.
Hummingbird
Walken
Theologians
Monday
Passenger Side
Via Chicago
Kingpin
California Stars
The Late Greats
I'm A Wheel

it was amazing.

If you could uhhhh share that bootleg, through a ysi or a rapidshare, or whatever, I would love you, possibly forever.

Defy, me, and I will ruin you.

Yeah, me too!

pat101

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • A Minor Mass
Wilco Week!
« Reply #44 on: 08 Jul 2006, 18:05 »

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=102386

well there's the link, if you don't have an account and they're full don't worry just keep trying it shouldn't take too long and you'll get in.

Teh_Shinobi

Wilco Week!
« Reply #45 on: 08 Jul 2006, 21:22 »

I LOVE "RESERVATIONS"

ME TOO

*NODS*

The "bad chords" of the song are what make it for me. It's a certain bit of dischord that makes this song grow on me every time I listen to it (like right now!). The way Tweedy sings in that song is... well... I can't think of a way to describe it at the moment. Suffice to say words do not do his singing justice.

tweedyfarrar

Wilco Week!
« Reply #46 on: 12 Jul 2006, 22:44 »

Why am I a little harsh for wanting them to make the new album? I never implied they were lazy or sitting around.

The harshness comes from your seemingly flippant attitude towards them touring.  I have seen them live a couple times and they are an awesome sight to see (check out the live album Kicking Television).  As a huge fan I was just being protective of the band.

I love Being There, AgiB, and other albums as well, but I dont really understand your indifference towards YHF.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Wilco Week!
« Reply #47 on: 13 Jul 2006, 12:34 »

The harshness comes from your seemingly flippant attitude towards them touring.  I have seen them live a couple times and they are an awesome sight to see (check out the live album Kicking Television).  As a huge fan I was just being protective of the band.

I am also a huge fan, and I would murder several people to see them live. It's ironic that you're recommending Kicking Television to me when I reviewed it for the website I write for. I gave it 5/5. I know Wilco are fucking brilliant live.

But as far as I'm concerned, unless they tour to England, any touring is fannying about and they can goddamn well work on the new record, ha!

Gryff

Wilco Week!
« Reply #48 on: 13 Jul 2006, 16:42 »

HAY GUYS, WHAT DID JEFF TWEEDY SAY TO HIS BAND MATES AFTER THIS SHOW THAT THEY DID IN A PLACE WHERE THEY DIDN'T KNOW ANYONE AND WHERE THEY HAD, AS FAR AS THEY KNEW, NO WHERE TO STAY?

HE SAID "DON'T WORRY GUYS "I'VE GOT RESERVATIONS AT THIS HOTEL ACROSS THE STREET"

Gryff

Wilco Week!
« Reply #49 on: 13 Jul 2006, 16:46 »

THIS ONE TIME JEFF TWEEDY BUMPED INTO THIS GUY'S SHOPPING TROLLEY, AND THE GUY GOES, "HEY WHAT ARE YOU DOING MAN?"

AND JEFF TWEEDY SAYS "I AM TRYING TO SHAKE YOUR CART"
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up