THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 15:46
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WHUT: Sleater Kinney Indefinite Hiatus?!  (Read 8234 times)

Coonstar

WHUT: Sleater Kinney Indefinite Hiatus?!
« on: 27 Jun 2006, 14:56 »

http://www.sleater-kinney.com

Those two summer shows the last shows they'll do? WHAT NO I STILL HAVEN'T SEEN THEM.

I guess they deserve a break of sorts, rocking out for 11 years with incredibly good albums can tire ye out.

But shit, this better not be forever!

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jun 2006, 15:02 »

FUCKING SHITCOCK BALLASS TITS BASTARD

SON OF A BITCH
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #2 on: 27 Jun 2006, 15:05 »

I read this on Pitchfork, I'm so sad, but at least I got to see them live once, even if I had to bear a whole Pearl Jam concert afterwards.
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
« Reply #3 on: 27 Jun 2006, 15:14 »

Aw sucks. They were so doing their best work with their last few albums too…

So glad I saw them in January!

Garcin

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jun 2006, 15:25 »

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK  This has totally ruined my day.  My only solace is that I've got tickets to see them in August.  What the fuck.

sjbrot

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jun 2006, 00:51 »

Any word on why they split? Their online letter was very revealing. Was it just the mild success that was too much?

The Woods was a big album for them. They signed to Sub Pop and took off in a new direction with a big-name producer and received big ups from a lot of critics and fans. Seems like a weird time to quit.

Garcin

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jun 2006, 07:38 »

If you're referring to the short note on their homepage, then I didn't find it revealing at all.  In fact, I found it frustrating, because they don't leave you with much of an idea of why they split and what their future plans are.  

I think the split was just a consequence of having two attractive women, with voices, talent, both guitarists in a 3 woman band.  Both Carrie and Corin could easily lead a rock band of their own, exercise creative control without compromise, etc.  But more importantly it is unbelievably rare for a band to stay together for 11 years in the indie world.

I don't think something significant happened.  I think that this was just inevitable.  Hopefully, after Carrie and Corin explore independent projects, they'll get back together.

Gryff

« Reply #7 on: 28 Jun 2006, 15:44 »

Guys, the more I think about it, the sadder it gets.

... Hold me.

Actually, maybe do people want to talk about their favourite SK album(s)? Personally I like One Beat a whole bunch. I think 'Oh!' is probably one of the best pop songs written in the last decade, and 'Light Rail Coyote' is pretty fantastic also.

Gryff

« Reply #8 on: 28 Jun 2006, 17:39 »

Quote from: tommydski
...also, 'what's mine is yours' when the song turns into a wall of feedback that sounds uncannily like mating dinosaurs then goes back into the "sit down lover, let's kill some time" refrain. and every second of 'jumpers' is incredible.

i had a surreal conversation once regarding my stage-moves while playing the guitar when someone commented that i had stolen pete townshend's style. remember, riot grrrl to me was pretty much the first music i listened to, long before i had seen footage of the who. i was actually just playing at being carrie b and still do to this day.

That moment in 'What's Mine is Yours' is amazing! And 'Jumpers' has got to be one of my favourite SK songs full stop.

Also Carrie totally wins at the rock god(dess) thing. All the windwill arms and kicks and stuff. She's great.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #9 on: 28 Jun 2006, 17:53 »

I never liked S-K.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Coonstar

« Reply #10 on: 28 Jun 2006, 19:15 »

I really really really hope they get together again eventually. Because I only got into them since the Woods! :(

Speaking of favourite S-K albums, man, it's a pretty difficult choice for me. One Beat definitely is a classic, but something I had overplayed the hell out of, All Hands on the Bad One never gets old, but the Hot Rock is still ever so powerful with its catharticness.

I think it's a tie between The Hot Rock and One Beat. Now if only I can listen to One Beat again... =/

sjbrot

« Reply #11 on: 28 Jun 2006, 22:52 »

oops, double post.
here's a picture for you instead, when they were young and still in love!

They don't look in love! In fact, someone looks suspicious of the other two. Janet Weiss looks like she believes the other two will come after her in her sleep.

That's the real reason for the bands break up. Weiss' rampant paranoia.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #12 on: 29 Jun 2006, 00:26 »

YOU TWO BITCHES STAY AWAY FROM ME

WITH YOUR PSEUDO-WESTERN OUTFITS

AND PIERCING EYES

Gryff

« Reply #13 on: 29 Jun 2006, 19:03 »

Final concert: the Crystal Ballroom in Portland, Oregon, August 11.

FSLKFJLKFJSFKJLDSKFSDKF

GET... ME... THERE

nickyandthefuture

• Curry sauce
    • http://www.bigorangecrayon.com
« Reply #14 on: 30 Jun 2006, 08:57 »

I saw them play at some college in Western New York a while ago.  One of my favorite concert moments ever was when Corin said "It's fun to play outside when the weather is nice!" to which the crown responded with "WOOOOOOOOOOOO!"
I thought it was kind of surreal.

I'm not sure how distraught to be over them breaking up; I mean sure I love their records and think that The Woods was some of their best work, so it sucks to see them quit, but it's not like they're all ceasing to exist - I'm sure that they'll keep making music, and if its in an atmosphere where they feel more free to express themselves, then good.
Blue or plain?
Sometimes orange.

penpen17

« Reply #15 on: 30 Jun 2006, 12:51 »

So glad that I'm going to Lollapalooza

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #16 on: 30 Jun 2006, 13:24 »

Quote from: Spinless
Also, Jeph is winning 'worst post in thread'.

I bet I can top it.

Action_franky

« Reply #17 on: 01 Jul 2006, 15:53 »

Quote from: Johnny C
I bet I can top it.

CLOSE, but no cigar!

Spinless

« Reply #18 on: 02 Jul 2006, 05:10 »

Nice try you guys. But no.

Wait, no...those were pathetic attempts.

Now stop this and let the thread die.

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #19 on: 02 Jul 2006, 09:25 »

Sleater Kinney also marked the main difference in my taste from my friends (even those who liked similar stuff as me),and got my parents a concerned (real concern, not a "you have a troublemaker child" ) letter from the school my mum actually took time to read the lyrics and explained to me what they were about. That moment (at age 11) is probably the moment I became aware of LGBT issues, and Sleater Kinney is the soundtrack to that. It's sad that they broke up, but I at least managed to see them live, evben if I had to buy a $70 to see them open for Pearl Jam. That was also a moment of misfittery, when all my friends were super excited to see Pearl Jam and I was the only one cheering for Sleater Kinney.
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

Garcin

« Reply #20 on: 02 Jul 2006, 11:13 »

no, i'm not done yet . . . . still, we will miss you sleater-kinney.

Fuck yes!

One Beat was fantastic, but in some ways, The Woods was even better.  I don't know whether it was the fact they had a new producer, or that they were literally recording in the woods, or that they were making a conscious effort to try for a new heavier sound, but a lot of stuff on that album deconstructs rock -- but does it while rocking out so severely, I wasn't even aware of it until many, many listens.  Take Rollercoaster, which starts with an addictive riff that wouldn't be out of place in kid's garage band, develops into a chorus so sludgy it sounds like Weiss has triplicated herself, and all the Weiss triplicates are hitting bass drums with femurs, has a false ending in the last minute, and then a coda that could easily pass as an in-reference on the condition of the group.

When I hear music I can viscerally enjoy at this level, that also sustains analysis and intellectualization, I fall in love.  SK could easily have stayed in their Riot Grrrl niche, feeding off Corin's stereotyped banshee voice with a stable of contented fans fashioning crudely made badges for their canvas bags in perpetuity.  Instead, they broke genre, changed their sound, alienated a good bit of their fan base, and came up with something new, better and challenging.  That doesn't make them unique in the modern rock soundscape, but it does make them incredibly valuable.  But more importantly, their apparent immunity to the epidemic of irony which characterizes the overwhelming majority of modern rock, and has since early '90s, forged a personal connection with their fanbase (namely me) that amplifies the sense of loss now that they may be over.

Coonstar

« Reply #21 on: 02 Jul 2006, 13:25 »

it also has one of the most fist-pumping sleater-kinney moments just after 1:50 when corin yelps "janet, carrie can you feel it?" and the ladies answer "knife through the heart of our exploitation" in sixties girl group harmony stylee. i love that moment so much.

That has to be my favourite moment out of the whole album, or one of my favourite moments in their overall catalogue.

I still find it really hard to believe that you know, they may be gone forever. I had just found out about them a year ago, when I first heard the Woods. I had no idea what riotgrrrl was, or how old of a band they were (silly me I thought they were new-ish), but there was just an instant connection. It captured my feelings when I first discovered my milestone bands as a kid (Garbage when I was 10, The Smashing Pumpkins when I was 14), and as cheesy as it sounds- whenever I listened to them I felt like my soul was soaring out somehow, because hey, all of this sound and noise and words they're pouring out? They're all the sounds, noises, and words that I wanted to say or convey but I never just figured how. There's something about "Let's Call It Love" which just continually sends shivers down my spine.

Man. And was I even more esctatic when I found out that they had way more albums, I also instantly fell inlove with One Beat. It took a while getting into The Hot Rock but shit that was worth it.

I haven't found a friend here who likes Sleater-Kinney as much as I do, the friends I have who do appreciate them only really like The Woods on some moderate level. I never thought that I was a Sleater-Kinney fan, but hearing about the hiatus just makes me re-think, hey wait, the heck, I DO care a lot about them! They impact me the most out of all the bands I listen to! They're the number one band I've never seen live and would dearly want to! But I can't do that for the summer. All I can do is hope that sometime in the future, they would regroup and reform while retaining the same glory that they had oozed out through the years.

To me, Sleater-Kinney is much more than "a really good band." I feel like they're *my* band. Their sound is my sound, their voice is my voice, they somehow just pull me together and pull me through.

I respect the fact that they are people too, with families and lives to manage and organize with their respective challenges, but, I'll keep on hoping that sometime in the future, they'll play together again.

Gryff

« Reply #22 on: 02 Jul 2006, 16:03 »

we forgot our petty differences in the face of our worship of the three women onstage and clasped our hands together in adoration. during 'call the doctor' i watched rhianna and corin scream the lines "i'm your monster, i'm not like you" in shrill harmony and i actually began to weep. it was one of the most affecting sights i have ever witnessed.

Quote from: Moiche
Take Rollercoaster, which starts with an addictive riff that wouldn't be out of place in kid's garage band, develops into a chorus so sludgy it sounds like Weiss has triplicated herself, and all the Weiss triplicates are hitting bass drums with femurs, has a false ending in the last minute, and then a coda that could easily pass as an in-reference on the condition of the group.

Quote from: Coonstar
To me, Sleater-Kinney is much more than "a really good band." I feel like they're *my* band. Their sound is my sound, their voice is my voice, they somehow just pull me together and pull me through.

Fuck, guys. This is fucking beautiful.

Garcin

« Reply #23 on: 08 Aug 2006, 11:55 »

Saw their last NYC show at Webster Hall last Wednesday.  It was better than I might have hoped.  Webster Hall was 110 degrees, water was 5$, everyone was sweating like mad, 'most everyone was dancing like they had ass in their pants, and SK did songs from the beginning right up 'til the end of the careers.  You could tell that the place was filled with fans who felt a connection to the band, and who really wanted this last performance to rock, and lo, it did rock.  

Especially enjoyable:  Carrie's amp jumping, hi-kicking, acrobatics in general, and 5 minute long guitar solos masquerading as sequeways.  I love these ladies, and as sad as I am that they're breaking up, I can't wait to see what they're going to do next individually, since the enthusiasm and creative ferment obvious onstage suggested that this may be a beginning as much as an ending.

penpen17

« Reply #24 on: 09 Aug 2006, 08:40 »

I saw them at Lollapalooza this weekend.  They rocked.

Garcin

« Reply #25 on: 30 Aug 2006, 17:50 »

An audience recording of S-K's last performance, http://www.ryspace.com/index.php/2006/08/24/sleater-kinney-crystal-ballroom-august-12th/">here.

Enjoy!  If it goes down let me know and I'll send it on yousendit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up