THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 22:52
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New Muse Album  (Read 15714 times)

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
New Muse Album
« on: 29 Jun 2006, 07:34 »

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QT5WYK3A

Thoughts? Personally it's already shot up to close second after Origin, and is possibly even better than that. Grows with every listen.

Willem

New Muse Album
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jun 2006, 08:57 »

you can also listen to it on their myspace

not that i did that, cause supermassive black hole reminded me of michael jackson. i do not like michael jackson.

Rumte

New Muse Album
« Reply #2 on: 29 Jun 2006, 09:36 »

it's so disappointing, i don't even wanna talk about it.

Soidanae

• Obscure cultural reference
New Muse Album
« Reply #3 on: 29 Jun 2006, 10:14 »

Note how Throwing Muses and MUSE are not the same band?

Yeah.

That's why there are two threads.
I believe these are the days of lasers in the jungle, lasers in the jungle somewhere.  Staccato signals of constant information, a loose affiliation of millionaires and billionaires, and baby, these are the days of miracles and wonders.

Luke C

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • http://www.john87.com
New Muse Album
« Reply #4 on: 29 Jun 2006, 13:22 »

According to said bands myspace they are now: Rock / Funk / Drum & Bass

Drum & Bass wtf?
"These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert to fleece the people, and now that they have got into a quarrel with themselves, we are called upon to appropriate the people's money to settle the quarrel." Lincoln in 1837

thelightguy

• Larger than most fish
  • xx
New Muse Album
« Reply #5 on: 29 Jun 2006, 18:22 »

Yea, that got me too.  Perhaps new-wave would be better there, but D'nB?  I mean, I like it, but that's not muse.

I haven't actually checked out the new album yet, tho... *scurries over to myspace*

--Nick
bye

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
New Muse Album
« Reply #6 on: 29 Jun 2006, 21:17 »

The stuff I've heard off it so far hasn't impressed me at all.  I'm gonna try to listen to some more of it and see if it grabs me, but I don't hold much hope/interest from what I've heard.

thelightguy

• Larger than most fish
  • xx
New Muse Album
« Reply #7 on: 30 Jun 2006, 14:15 »

Quote from: tommydski

cos they all about the devo and b-52s influence.

Oh, of course...

Nah... it was just a comment abount their synth.

--Nick
bye

Lines

• Awakened
New Muse Album
« Reply #8 on: 01 Jul 2006, 15:01 »

i haven't given it a listen trhough yet, but this does not make feel all warm and fuzzy about their new album now. they are amazing and to think they are going backwards from their last album is sad.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Soidanae

• Obscure cultural reference
New Muse Album
« Reply #9 on: 01 Jul 2006, 20:49 »

I hated Absolution.  The closer this album comes to Origin, the better, I think.

Or, if they go off on a completely different tangent, that's cool too.
I believe these are the days of lasers in the jungle, lasers in the jungle somewhere.  Staccato signals of constant information, a loose affiliation of millionaires and billionaires, and baby, these are the days of miracles and wonders.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
New Muse Album
« Reply #10 on: 02 Jul 2006, 05:51 »

I thought Absolution was rather dire, and really enjoyed this. And yeah, there's a bit more progression, it's not just back to Origin - more synths, more variety; not just piano bits, loud bits and Matt breathing.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
New Muse Album
« Reply #11 on: 02 Jul 2006, 18:07 »

eh, I loved and hated various bits of all three albums.  I do tend to prefer them when the are in full rocking-out mode, with a bit of synth thrown in.  "Muscle Museum" from Showbiz is probably my favourite Muse track for that reason, and "Stockholm Syndrome" off Absolution comes in a close second.  "Plug-in baby" off Origin is probably third.  But then I also like their cover of "Feeling Good" on Origin, and enjoy "Time is Running Out" on Absolution.

But then there are some really boring and/or pretentious-seeming parts which piss me off.  I can't remember most of them because they're the songs I generally tend to skip over and ignore.

Also, I am not really sure where I stand on Bellamy's use of falsetto.  Sometimes it sounds good and fits the rest of the song.  Other times it feels un-needed and unwelcome.  He's got a great voice without the falsetto, so why not use it?

Lines

• Awakened
New Muse Album
« Reply #12 on: 03 Jul 2006, 17:23 »

it's not annoying beach boys like falsetto, therefore, it is ok. and from listening to him, he sounds like a tenor, so it might not even be falsetto...

StupidityKills

New Muse Album
« Reply #13 on: 04 Jul 2006, 00:50 »

Quote from: amok
I thought Absolution was rather dire, and really enjoyed this. And yeah, there's a bit more progression, it's not just back to Origin - more synths, more variety; not just piano bits, loud bits and Matt breathing.

Did you see the 4Music Presents:Muse the other night? they did three songs from the album and I thought they sounded really good. I like Origin and Absolution, but of course they were both different and this is again.
So far it looks like its just us Brits who get Muse? How odd!?

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
New Muse Album
« Reply #14 on: 04 Jul 2006, 08:48 »

I like Muse. They are quite big in Mexico.
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

Der Golem

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
    • http://www.ihavenowebsite.com
New Muse Album
« Reply #15 on: 04 Jul 2006, 13:29 »

This is a bad album. I enjoyed a handful of songs, but as a whole this was extremely weak.

Faw

New Muse Album
« Reply #16 on: 04 Jul 2006, 17:40 »

i haven't listened to the new stuff yet (new albums always terrify me because after i decide to like a band, they decide to suck ass usually.)  But i gotta say, showbiz is up there in my favorite albums.

Lines

• Awakened
New Muse Album
« Reply #17 on: 17 Jul 2006, 13:39 »

i think origins is better than showbiz, personally. and the new album really is quite good.

supermasive black hole sounds more like beck than michael jackson, me thinks.

eternie

New Muse Album
« Reply #18 on: 17 Jul 2006, 15:21 »

I actually like the song Supermassive Black Hole a lot. But I'm not a Muse fan so I have none of the WAILOMGTHEY'REGOINGDOWNHILLTHESELLOUTS. Hah.

MyBDLrules

straight up
« Reply #19 on: 17 Jul 2006, 16:22 »

I loved Origin of symmetry with a jazz influenced rock style
I loved Absolution cause it was a surround enviroment rock that makes you feel like your right dab in the middle of kick ass rock
I think the new album is a great blend of the good stuff they did in absolution and just try to add a new flavor to it, they expiremented and i give them credit. If i had to rate it i would give it a 4 out of 5
my favs were the songs Assasin and Kinghts of Cydonia. The whole album is just another reason why muse is one awesome rock and roll band

Ribbon Fat

New Muse Album
« Reply #20 on: 17 Jul 2006, 18:05 »

The songs are bad and the production is atrocious. I can't believe anyone is taking them seriosuly.

Alchemist

New Muse Album
« Reply #21 on: 17 Jul 2006, 21:19 »

Um...am I the only one here that actually liked Absolution?  Just wondering.

penpen17

New Muse Album
« Reply #22 on: 17 Jul 2006, 21:35 »

I personally liked Supermassive Black Hole.  At least they are trying something new, and I think that it is catchy as hell.

SnazzyPastryBrush

New Muse Album
« Reply #23 on: 18 Jul 2006, 05:30 »

The only Muse album I could really get into was "Showbiz", this new one just strikes me as more of the same meaningless lyrics thrown over the top of a generic rock sound.

Also... I find it hard to imagine Beck recording something like "Supermassive Black Hole", it's not upbeat enough for him.

Merkava

New Muse Album
« Reply #24 on: 18 Jul 2006, 06:00 »

Quote from: Alchemist

Loved it, actually.

I've heard the new album is pretty good. I may just check it out.

Lines

• Awakened
New Muse Album
« Reply #25 on: 18 Jul 2006, 06:17 »

Quote from: Alchemist

i do. a lot. and i like this album a lot as well. especially the song Map of the Problematique.

about the beck thing, i thought the vocals sounded more like beck than michael jackson, not the whole song itself. sorry, should have said that.

SnazzyPastryBrush

New Muse Album
« Reply #26 on: 18 Jul 2006, 07:50 »

Quote from: iamyourpirate
about the beck thing, i thought the vocals sounded more like beck than michael jackson, not the whole song itself. sorry, should have said that.

Oh right. Then yeah, I see what you mean.

chamberk

New Muse Album
« Reply #27 on: 18 Jul 2006, 14:37 »

I liked Absolution and I really can't stop listening to Black Holes.  Good stuff, if a bit of a guilty pleasure.

ryanyde

New Muse
« Reply #28 on: 27 Jul 2006, 09:12 »

Well, I've made my peace with the new album.

I dare to contend anyone to name a better album than the Origin of Symmetry.  For me at least, the Ecstasy of Perfect Recognition mixed with the winding, twisted yet always amazing song structure is awesome.

But as for the new album, Showbiz had a few good songs, but as an album is just alright.  OoS is the best.  Absolution had me rocking and is fantastic.  The new album is like "Muse for Beginners" or "Muse attacks the US"

The songs (especially near the beginning) are easy to get into, not very complicated, yet still pretty good.  Not a fan of Take a Bow, but Starlight is a very guilty pleasure that is really and truly a great simple song.  Supermassive Black Hole is another.  Map of the Problematique is an excellent song any way you slice it, the drums, everything synchs well.

The later stuff is more classic muse, which is harder to get into, leaving some people behind.  The last three tracks are simply incredible, and City of Delusion heard live is an experience not to be missed.

In any case, anyone who suggests Muse is a "generic rock band" obviously hasn't listened to them.  Or if they're so enlightened, they might suggest other bands I would like as much, because I've been searching and so far I've not found a band with the playlist staying power of muse.

The new album isn't the best but for where they are now, I think it shows promise for future albums, as well as being a pretty damn good album in and of itself.

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
Re: New Muse
« Reply #29 on: 27 Jul 2006, 09:46 »

Quote from: ryanyde

I dare to contend anyone to name a better album than the Origin of Symmetry.  

ryanyde

Re: New Muse
« Reply #30 on: 27 Jul 2006, 10:21 »

Quote from: E. Spaceman
Quote from: ryanyde

I dare to contend anyone to name a better album than the Origin of Symmetry.  

Err yeah, I meant in the last decade.  -_-

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
New Muse Album
« Reply #31 on: 27 Jul 2006, 10:33 »

but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
New Muse Album
« Reply #32 on: 27 Jul 2006, 10:34 »

Quoting the person above you is bad form by the way

PS Kai, Red Medicine was more than a decade ago,

ryanyde

New Muse Album
« Reply #33 on: 27 Jul 2006, 10:35 »

I haven't listened to Fugazi in a while, but I just found them bland and uninspiring.  Perhaps it's not just my sound.  In any case, it was my opinion, and while I hold to it, I doubt many people will agree that Origin is in fact the best album of the past decade.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
New Muse Album
« Reply #34 on: 27 Jul 2006, 10:36 »

Wait, did we really just infer that Muse are less bland and uninspiring than Fugazi? Seriously?

Guys.

You are talking about MUSE. They are synonamous with bland and ininspiring.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

ryanyde

New Muse Album
« Reply #35 on: 27 Jul 2006, 10:41 »

Last post before I get back to work.  

But
A) It was my opinion
B) How you can call muse anything less than epic is beyond me.  Aside from obvious spelling errors (synonamous and ininspiring.), I could see other insults for MUSE but bland and uninspiring would certainly not top the list.

Have you even ever listened to them?  Or have you actually seen them getting press recently and used your "Not Indie==Disdain" meter to rate them?

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
New Muse Album
« Reply #36 on: 27 Jul 2006, 11:03 »

First off, I am pretty sure I'm not worrying about my indie cred penis when I say they are bland and terrible. Don't worry about that.

Now, I can't say I've personally sat down with headphones and listened superbly close to each individual song. However, my brother is a rabid fan and takes every opportunity to play them. I am not impressed by what I hear. Epic is certainly not a word I would describe them as. Maybe you have a different definition of epic than I do. I just think that they are hella boring.

PS Spaceman: I know it's not technically in the last decade, but I felt it was close enough to warrant it. I could have certainly used The Argument or End Hits, but I haven't listened to End Hits and I like Red Medicine better.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
New Muse Album
« Reply #37 on: 27 Jul 2006, 11:22 »

You know, Muse would be a lot better if it were'nt for the fanatic fans. I know a few. So ryanyde, all you do now is making people hate Muse even more.
Origin of Symmetry is actually a good album.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Darke

• Furry furrier
New Muse Album
« Reply #38 on: 27 Jul 2006, 11:40 »

Quote from: Misereatur
You know, Muse would be a lot better if it were'nt for the fanatic fans. I know a few. So ryanyde, all you do now is making people hate Muse even more.
Origin of Symmetry is actually a good album.

What does a band's fans have to do with how good the band actually are? Very little, I think.

'Absolution' is probably my favourite Muse album, and I'm not sure which I prefer out of 'Black Holes and Revelations' and 'Origin of Symmetry'. Still, Muse are definitely on-form with this album and have done a terrific job. My only complaint is the lack of wonderful piano tunes like 'Space Dementia' or 'Butterflies and Hurricanes', but it's a small complaint doesn't de-rail from the overall enjoyment I get from the album. :)
There is no true love, just a finely tuned jealousy.

ryanyde

New Muse Album
« Reply #39 on: 27 Jul 2006, 12:53 »

Since we're making snap judgments here.

I've surfed this forum twice now, and already from the very little I've seen, I can tell you're the type of person who really just enjoys shooting people down (tommydski).  That or you do it a lot, because no post I've seen of yours has actually said something positive.  That's unfortunate because you seem to have a lot of posts...

^^^ Should not be allowed to post.   ^^^

On that note, let's judge all books by their covers.  No bother reading them at all.  

As for the image, not that it really matters, but Muse is very tongue in cheek about how over the top they are.  Proof?  Watch the Knights of Cydonia video.[/img]

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
New Muse Album
« Reply #40 on: 27 Jul 2006, 13:01 »

No. tommy just enjoys being fucking hilarious.

And come on. You cannot deny the fact that him covered in blood after a grueling fight with something and lighting a cigarette is not awesome.

Lines

• Awakened
New Muse Album
« Reply #41 on: 27 Jul 2006, 13:09 »

whoa der. jeeze.

so uh, back to muse. i like them. i like their music. the fact that i think they sound even better live than they do on their recordings is amazing. they have good shows. BUT just because i like them doesn't mean everyone else has to, which is kind of how you are starting to sound.

ryanyde

New Muse Album
« Reply #42 on: 27 Jul 2006, 13:18 »

I'd hesitate to quote myself, but I've always said that it's my opinion and I don't expect people to agree.  On the one hand, I'm fine with people not liking them and/or hating them.  But some posts clearly show ignorance of the band and/or its work, and in that case mouth should remain shut.  
Anyways, I'm not saying everyone should like Muse; and if I came off that way I apologize.  I meant to say and have continued to mean that it's my opinion, which in the end is all we can really have.  My opinion on tommydski is based purely on what I've seen of him on the forums.  It might be completely wrong, but whatever, I don't hold grudges.

ryanyde

New Muse Album
« Reply #43 on: 27 Jul 2006, 13:44 »

Asswipe :-P.  I'm totally into sarcastic bitching as long as the person isn't ignorant.  And I was really thinking about waiting 2 weeks and replying "Nope, not a teenager", but on the other hand, that means that I'd no longer be a teenager and be creeping ever closer to old age on a forced march by the irresistible hands of time...
But I digress.
yes I am a teenager, and yes my musical taste has changed, but not so much.  There are still only 3 bands which I can really listen to over and over again.  One is third eye blind (mainly their older slow stuff, God of Wine, Motorcycle Drive-By etc.), Bad Religion (who cares if their sound hasn't changed?  It's fantastic, thesaurus embibing melodic punk rock) and now Muse is the flavor of the year or two.  I'm hoping to find the next band I can add to the list, but they're few and far between unfortunately.  I like individual songs of many bands and will listen to pretty much anything and like it, but things that I truly love and want to listen to over and over again... not so much.

Maybe it's because I'm ENTP.

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
New Muse Album
« Reply #44 on: 27 Jul 2006, 13:45 »

I actually like Muse, and I agree Origin of Symmetry is their best album (although Absolution had stronger singles than anything on Origin). However, they certainly did not relese the best album in a decade with two Fugazi albums (End Hits is brilliant Kai), 4 Autechre ones, two by NMH ones and Queen Adreena, just to mention a microscopic minority. However, I will agree that that is not the best bloody-tommy pic, there is another one where he is 257% hotter.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
New Muse Album
« Reply #45 on: 27 Jul 2006, 15:15 »

I'm serious, posting Mitch Clem strips is awsome.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
New Muse Album
« Reply #46 on: 27 Jul 2006, 15:34 »

This is where I would say something if someone hadn't destroyed my idea about Mitch Clem comics with actual research. Assshole.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
New Muse Album
« Reply #47 on: 27 Jul 2006, 16:12 »

I AM SURE THERE IS A MITCH CLEM COMIC ABOUT ART.

UNTILL I FIND ONE I WILL JUST HAVE TO STICK WITH NN2S JOKING ABOUT PUNK.

THERE IS A MITCH CLEM COMIC FOR EVERY CONVERSATION. I AM SURE OF IT.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Lines

• Awakened
New Muse Album
« Reply #48 on: 27 Jul 2006, 18:12 »

if not, write to him telling him this necessity for a comic about art. and don't tell kai you did so. even though he's so going to read this. KAI, DON'T READ THIS. THOUGH IT'S PROBABLY TOO LATE.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
New Muse Album
« Reply #49 on: 27 Jul 2006, 18:14 »

IT'S OKAY, I DIDN'T READ IT

I HAD A BLINDFOLD WHEN I CAME INTO THIS THREAD

WE'RE ALL GOOD
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up