THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 22:39
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Computer games  (Read 4448 times)

Rowena87

Computer games
« on: 27 Jun 2006, 13:12 »

I know, it's a boring subject title.  I'm a college student, and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for me. I want to get a few computer games that I can play when I'm at school that won't be so completely addicting so that I never get anything else done, but so that I have something to play besides solitaire and minesweeper on the weekends when there aren't any QC updates and I'm bored. I'm into things like the Sims, and I'm considering getting that, and I loved the Carmen Sandiego games when I was little, but I want something more challenging. I love Lord of the Rings, but I'm not interested in games where I'm basically just blowing people up. Anyone have any ideas? Oh, and they can't be too expensive either. Please, I need help! I know nothing about this kind of stuff anymore!

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Computer games
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jun 2006, 13:22 »

Grim Fandango.

It's fairly old, puzzling, and completely charming in it's humour. Also, you can get it for about 5 bucks, usually.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
Computer games
« Reply #2 on: 27 Jun 2006, 13:41 »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carmageddon">Carmageddon is a game i used to enjoy alot when i was younger. basically you just race around and try to destroy everything. its actually kind of hard unless you type in "sexwithfish" really fast cause it stops the clock so you have infinite time.
good game to kill some spare time with. theres unlockable cars and stuff like that, i believe.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Houdinimachine

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
    • http://www.myspace.com/houdinimachine/
Computer games
« Reply #3 on: 27 Jun 2006, 15:06 »

Where are you finding Grim Fandango for five bucks? Grim is quite possibly the best adventure game ever made. The humor is right on, the art is beautiful, and the story is brilliant.

That said,  if you like the Sims, wait until Spores comes out. It's from the creator of the Sims, Will Wright.
She gave me a pen. I gave her my heart and she gave me a pen.

books_out_loud

Computer games
« Reply #4 on: 27 Jun 2006, 15:40 »

gunbound.

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
Computer games
« Reply #5 on: 28 Jun 2006, 15:37 »

I was going to mention the Civilisation games, but then I saw that you want stuff that "won't be so completely addicting so that I never get anything else done", so… never mind.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
Computer games
« Reply #6 on: 28 Jun 2006, 16:00 »

I'm still pissed off my computer can't run Civ 4.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

thelightguy

• Larger than most fish
  • xx
Computer games
« Reply #7 on: 28 Jun 2006, 16:00 »

I third the vote for Grim Fandango... It's an awesome game, but be warned,  I haven't gotten it to run on anything higher than windows 98SE. (YMMV)

Also, if you like Grim Fandango, you may want to check out the whole Monkey Island series.  It has the same off-color humor as GF, and as an advantage, it runs under ScummVM, so you can run it on any computer... so long as there's a build available.

--Nick
bye

The Cosmic Fool

Computer games
« Reply #8 on: 28 Jun 2006, 17:05 »

Quote from: Storm Rider
I'm still pissed off my computer can't run Civ 4.

Mine can run it, but when civs start growing to the point of covering the whole map, then it becomes a bit of a problem.

(By the way, just tried Sevomod 3.0! Pretty slick so far.)

Garcin

Computer games
« Reply #9 on: 28 Jun 2006, 20:46 »

Took me ages to beat that game on Monarch difficulty.  Then I was all, "but what have I won?"  And I realized that I had won nothing.

Fucking game.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
Computer games
« Reply #10 on: 28 Jun 2006, 21:55 »

The pinnacle of computer games is Day of the Tentacle, the sequel to Maniac Mansion. It's pretty much perfection.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

MatticusPrime

Computer games
« Reply #11 on: 04 Jul 2006, 06:53 »

Day of the Tentacle and Grim Fandango were both done by Tim Schafer I believe.

Maniac Mansion and the first two Monkey Island games were done by Ron Gilbert.

Now try to imagine the awesomeness that would result if they ever decided to work together!

Alegis

Computer games
« Reply #12 on: 04 Jul 2006, 07:56 »

RTS fun ! Dawn of War ! A lot of games nowadays like Divine Divinity which are as cheap as 5$ which is nothing

Peet

• Curry sauce
  • The Second Gabber
Computer games
« Reply #13 on: 04 Jul 2006, 11:08 »

I recommend getting Rome: Total War. The sequel is out in autumn so you can get R:TW and the patch Barbarian Invasion for cheap (£20?).

Then you can download the Lord of the Rings modification for it from www.thefourthage.net.
Quote from: Slick
I think Astaldo should be the next Dr. Who

Bunnyman

Computer games
« Reply #14 on: 04 Jul 2006, 22:23 »

If you're looking for 'little' games (short innings, cheap)...

[/url=http://www.shrapnelgames.com/digital_eel/Weird_worlds/1.htm]Wierd Worlds[/url] is galactic conquest in 20 minutes or less...with procedurally generated levels and gobs of stuff to discover (to say nothing of the sumptuous audiovisual feast attendant to said gameplay) makes it a good use of $24.95.

Uplink is a delightful little paranoiac romp into the world of Black Hat hacking.  Absurdly low system requirements, impressive amounts of exploration to be had, and works both as a marathon game or in short bursts.  Highly recommended.

On the Total War note...if youre looking for epic strategy, politicking, assassination, and general skullduggery, Shogun is buckets of fun and can be had in jewel-only form for $10 or less.  For a game released in 1998, the graphics are poetry, and both the strategic and tactical games are immensely rewarding.

Command and Conquer: The First Decade can be had for ~$40 and will probably keep you entertained until the apocalypse.  Nothing like Tiberium, Attack Dolphins, and the odd Toxin Tractor to lay waste to one's opponents.

Grim Fandango mad seconded.  Or whatever we're up to.
Pages: [1]   Go Up