THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 01:27
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ...how does this thing WORK!  (Read 3743 times)

TrueNeutral

...how does this thing WORK!
« on: 07 Jul 2006, 05:57 »

Okay, I recently got a tablet and am trying to get my normal drawing skills to magically appear on the screen instead on paper, but I just can't get it to look right. It looks shaky and stuff. Basically it looks the same as it would if I were drawing with the mouse cursor.

Any tips?

Kana

• Plantmonster
« Reply #1 on: 07 Jul 2006, 07:48 »

make sure that besides the tablet driver you have the tablet software installed...this allows you to have pen pressure/sensitivity and calibrate the pen...

also once installed, go ahead and do the above by calibrating it and selecting the sensitivity level you need for it to feel/act right.

not all programs utillize pen pressure and all that... if you don't have photoshop or another program at that level I recommend Corel Painter Essentials (which comes for free with most wacom tablets now) or OpenCanvas v1 which is a japanese freeware program (loosely translated) that is excellent for what it is...

hope this helps.

TrueNeutral

« Reply #2 on: 08 Jul 2006, 13:40 »

This helped a lot. Thanks for your assistance! :)

Kana

• Plantmonster
« Reply #3 on: 08 Jul 2006, 15:02 »

np, glad i could be of help. :)

Ghostwriter

« Reply #4 on: 08 Jul 2006, 15:39 »

Some people like to tape paper over the surface of the tablet to give the pen more traction.

Just practice a lot.  It helps to learn how to do fast, smooth strokes to keep lines from looking shaky in raster programs like Photoshop.

MutantCircus

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jul 2006, 19:29 »

Quote from: Ghostwriter
Some people like to tape paper over the surface of the tablet to give the pen more traction.
Woah, this has never occurred to me. I'm going to try that. I have a horribly oversized tablet, so anything I can try to make it work better until I can replace it is a huge help.

lb969

« Reply #6 on: 12 Jul 2006, 19:36 »

I created a similar high traction surface on my Wacom Graphire. I mearly scuffed up my little plastic thingy with very light sandpaper. Looks like frosted glass actually.

However it is a perminate thing, and paper is a better option untill you decide you like the feel better.

torg

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jul 2006, 11:55 »

Work with insanely large values for the dpi. I work with 300 dpi and something like 3000 pixels in width and height, and scale it down to the desired width (usually 750 pixels and 75 dpi) when it is done. that also smoothes out the lines.

mrtuesday42

« Reply #8 on: 17 Jul 2006, 14:40 »

if you are trying to get smooth lines (like jeph...who uses photochop and an intuos) then you should check out his tutorial under the FAQ which is pretty helpful with the whole scaling down/smoothness thing...
Pages: [1]   Go Up