THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 19:13
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pendergast  (Read 2097 times)

Maedros

Pendergast
« on: 09 Jul 2006, 14:18 »

Are any of you familiar with the series of books (Relic, Reliquary, Cabinet of Curiosities, Still Life With Crows, Dance of Death and Book of the Dead) by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child that have Agent Pendergast as the main character? I really have to say that they're some of my favorite books right now. They work in science sort of like Michael Crichton and bring in an almost infinite number of esoteric facts. Brilliant work. Thoughts?

sunniegreen

Pendergast
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jul 2006, 21:01 »

I got The Book Of The Dead as a birthday present.  I liked it a lot.  I was afraid it would be DaVinci Code level crap, since it had a sort of bland title.  There's obviously much more to the characters than I know about.  But Pendergast seems like a little bit too much like a wannabe Sherlock Holmes for my taste.  The little bits of information are fun though.  That the characters extend beyond the book is sort of nice, I like the feeling of an actual backstory.  Reading Nancy Drew in third grade gave me a special kind of hatred for the blatant re-introduction of characters at the start of every book.

Maedros

Pendergast
« Reply #2 on: 13 Jul 2006, 22:47 »

I know what you mean about Pendergast having a bit in common with Sherlock Holmes. And personally, I really wouldn't have started with Book of the Dead. Last book in a trilogy and all that. It was a birthday present, though, so I won't hold it against you. :P

sunniegreen

Pendergast
« Reply #3 on: 14 Jul 2006, 09:10 »

If I see the other books on sale somewhere I will definately give them a try.  I didn't even know it was a trilogy until the end when I looked at the little jacket flap summary.  So I'll keep a lookout in the used book store for everything I missed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up