THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 11:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Libertines  (Read 16744 times)

akd

Libertines
« on: 13 Jul 2006, 08:41 »

Does anyone ever think they'll get back together?

Willem

Libertines
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jul 2006, 08:49 »

with dirty pretty things and babyshambles going on i don't think so. which really is a good thing.

akd

Libertines
« Reply #2 on: 13 Jul 2006, 09:03 »

Babyshambles is barely held together as it is, and Pete did start the group while he was still with the Libertines, so it wouldn't be that crazy.

Yeti is the bigger distraction i think

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Re: Libertines
« Reply #3 on: 13 Jul 2006, 09:06 »

Quote from: akd
Does anyone ever think they'll get back together?

No, thank goodness.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Rubby

• The German Chancellory building
    • http://members.shaw.ca/baby.snakes
Libertines
« Reply #4 on: 13 Jul 2006, 09:29 »

No way!

GuitarJunkie

Libertines
« Reply #5 on: 13 Jul 2006, 09:36 »

Sure they will. It's inevitable. As long as Pete doesn't die first.

schimmy

• The Tickler
Libertines
« Reply #6 on: 13 Jul 2006, 10:10 »

Man, I hope Pete doesn't die. He'll be this generation's Cobain.

Willem

Libertines
« Reply #7 on: 13 Jul 2006, 10:24 »

Quote from: tommydski
just because they are both [something] it doesn't mean they have anything in common.
eh...

but you're right. that's just about where the similarities end.

akd

Libertines
« Reply #8 on: 13 Jul 2006, 10:30 »

doherty is an ignoramus but cobain at least had a valuable knowledge of underground music and a pro-female attitude.

Doherty got 11 A* GCSE's, 4 A's at A level (for those who don't know the British system, those are pretty much the best achievements you can get before Uni), he won a NATIONAL poetry contest and got to visit Russia with the British Consulate paying. He is in no way an ignoramus.

And what the hell does a pro-female attitude have towards anything? Is Pete D some kind of secret raging sexist mysoginitic git or something?[/quote]

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Libertines
« Reply #9 on: 13 Jul 2006, 10:41 »

Doherty just doesn't have enough appeal outside of the UK to be this generation's Cobain.

Plus, Kurt didn't draw pictures with people's blood.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Willem

Libertines
« Reply #10 on: 13 Jul 2006, 10:45 »

he did use sperm, piss and blood while writing letters to courtney if i'm not mistaking?
and doherty might have learning capabilities but he acts like a retard now. so he's stupid. he might have won a poetry contest but his lyrics suck..and i suppose there has never been any evidence of musical talent?

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
Libertines
« Reply #11 on: 13 Jul 2006, 10:56 »

Quote from: Willem
Quote from: tommydski
just because they are both [something] it doesn't mean they have anything in common.
eh...

but you're right. that's just about where the similarities end.

I think the point was more that they'll be worshipped by millions of annoying fucks when they die rather than any comparison between the living Doherty and Cobain. God knows that irritating junkie gets enough attention, if he dies before his popularity wanes further he'll be a demigod, immortalised in pop culture legend, and insufferably annoying long after he's rotted away.

Also the Libertines were pretty bad so I'm with Khar.

Johnny C

• Mentat
Libertines
« Reply #12 on: 13 Jul 2006, 10:59 »

Quote from: Willem
he did use sperm, piss and blood while writing letters to courtney if i'm not mistaking?

Maybe, but this is just weird.

akd

Libertines
« Reply #13 on: 13 Jul 2006, 11:36 »

You are aware that the police arrested him, but released him after the woman in the photo came forward and admitted she was concious at the time, and he wasn't injecting her, he was actually pulling her blood for us in art. This was corroborated by 6 different witnesses.

So, weird, but not weirder than a lot of artists

karl gambolputty...

• FIGHT YOU
Libertines
« Reply #14 on: 13 Jul 2006, 11:40 »

But the squirting of blood into an interviewer's camera, that goes beyond wieird and into the realm of first-rate prat-ness.

akd

Libertines
« Reply #15 on: 13 Jul 2006, 11:45 »

Yeah, he's an addict, and does crazy shit. Difference between him and some addict rockers is Dohertys trying to get clean, and seems to be succeeding this time. Check out his interview with Jonothan Ross from last friday on youtube, he's really cleaned up. For now

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Libertines
« Reply #16 on: 13 Jul 2006, 12:21 »

His lyrics don't suck, a lot of the Libertines stuff was great, yes he is now an idiot. Babyshambles is a joke. DPT are essentially 'Episode II - The Libertine Strikes Back'. I hope he doesn't die because in England, at least, he will get even MORE notoreity and probably loads of respect from people which he doesn't deserve becase he's so shit nowadays.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

akd

Libertines
« Reply #17 on: 13 Jul 2006, 12:26 »

I think what puts a lot of people off his music is the way he sings it, kinda chaotic. People should listen to Adam Greens cover of 'What A Waster', to appreciate the lyrics in a smoother style.

And Babyshambles are bad musically live, but when I've seen them they do get the crowd going pretty well. And their album is better musically. Probably each song takes 34 takes though

StupidityKills

Libertines
« Reply #18 on: 13 Jul 2006, 12:29 »

Haha, Wossy's suggestion of using the gypsy caravan at the bottom of his garden was the funniest bit of that interview.
No they won't reunite, nor should they, everyone else involved is quite capable without him.
Doherty is not a complete waste of space (not quite) but is clearly in need of help, preferably in the confines of the prison system.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Libertines
« Reply #19 on: 13 Jul 2006, 12:31 »

I think what puts a lot of people off his music is the way he sings it, kinda chaotic. People should listen to Adam Greens cover of 'What A Waster', to appreciate the lyrics in a smoother style.

This is something I forgot to mention. I like his voice, not his singing style. I think if he bothered to sing in tune his songs could be true classics. But he doesn't. This is worst with Babyshambles in particular.

akd

Libertines
« Reply #20 on: 13 Jul 2006, 12:35 »

Haha, Wossy's suggestion of using the gypsy caravan at the bottom of his garden was the funniest bit of that interview.

Since you've seen it, didn't you think he seemed so much cleaner now than he has in the past? Either the BBC has an amazing make up crew, or he's genuinely getting clean

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Libertines
« Reply #21 on: 13 Jul 2006, 12:36 »

Since you've seen it, didn't you think he seemed so much cleaner now than he has in the past? Either the BBC has an amazing make up crew, or he's genuinely getting clean

Wasn't he arrested for doing drugs on a plane about a week ago?

akd

Libertines
« Reply #22 on: 13 Jul 2006, 12:45 »

No, the airport officials claimed they saw a needle, and held him, but the police found no evidence, and when he was teseted, all he had taken was his prescribed methadone, and even that he did before he got on the plane.

But if you knew Pete Doherty was on your plane, woulnd't you think he had drugs?

Johnny C

• Mentat
Libertines
« Reply #23 on: 13 Jul 2006, 12:57 »

You are aware that the police arrested him, but released him after the woman in the photo came forward and admitted she was concious at the time, and he wasn't injecting her, he was actually pulling her blood for us in art.

Quote from: I
something to the effect where he was using blood in artwork, followed by some links that went through that entire story with the addition of the blood on the camera

I don't think he's a fantastic songwriter. If you like him, more power to you, but whatever.

akd

Libertines
« Reply #24 on: 13 Jul 2006, 13:14 »

Well, the links you gave were to a gossip site, and the writer of the articles clearly didn't believe his story, and seemed to think he definitely was injecting drugs into her, so I misunderstood your meaning

Lines

• Awakened
Libertines
« Reply #25 on: 13 Jul 2006, 13:55 »

i don't think pete will ever be the next cobain. not enough people know who he is outside of brittian. *shrug*

edit: ok, didn't know that many people over yonder liked cobain. i'm not from england. /edit

but i don't really care. i do like their music, but if they stay broken up, whatev. they broke up for some reason.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Willem

Libertines
« Reply #26 on: 13 Jul 2006, 14:03 »

like every fucking last one of them? nirvana was huge in brittain if i remember correct and they've played some of their best performances there.

akd

Libertines
« Reply #27 on: 13 Jul 2006, 14:07 »

Nirvana were and still are HUGE in Britain

ASturge

Libertines
« Reply #28 on: 13 Jul 2006, 14:58 »

Man, the Libertines are so poo, I hope they all die.

That means I won't have to listen to Dirty Pretty Things or Gheybyshambles! (see what I did there...?)

schimmy

• The Tickler
Libertines
« Reply #29 on: 13 Jul 2006, 15:39 »

Do I fail some sort of hipster test by admitting I enjoy listening to The Libertines, Dirty Pretty Things, and (a very select few) Babyshambles songs?
Pete Doherty is a drug addict. Pete Doherty is a cock. Pete Doherty is a so out of his mind, he can't pull together and be a decent musician that often. But when he does, he can, in fact, write a decent song, and has a slurred singing style that (I don't know whether this is good or not) is reminiscent of Rancid.
Dirty Pretty Things are basically just the Libertines without Doherty dragging them down. Babyshambles are the Libertines without Barat keeping their heads above water.

All I'm saying is that he is a decent songwriter and musician. I just hope that the thousands of kids who idolise him (and way overhype him, to be fair), don't act like he was a genius who died before his time when he ODs (and I'm betting he will), like (for some bizarre reason) so many do with Cobain. In my heart, though, I think they will, though.

It's taking all my strength not to turn this post into how much of a talentless, infantile, overhyped fuck-up Cobain was, so I can't resist just having at least this paragraph at the end.

karl gambolputty...

• FIGHT YOU
Libertines
« Reply #30 on: 13 Jul 2006, 16:08 »

Well, if it makes you feel any better, he apologized for being overhyped.  In a pretty drastic manner.

akd

Libertines
« Reply #31 on: 13 Jul 2006, 17:30 »

Suicide is never a solution

GuitarJunkie

Libertines
« Reply #32 on: 13 Jul 2006, 17:44 »

Suicide is never a solution

Sssh not so loud.

Phil Collins might hear you.

ASturge

Libertines
« Reply #33 on: 13 Jul 2006, 17:45 »

hehe, I bet he was thinking "Will this make me indie?"

sjbrot

Libertines
« Reply #34 on: 13 Jul 2006, 20:00 »

Quote from: amok
I think the point was more that they'll be worshipped by millions of annoying fucks when they die rather than any comparison between the living Doherty and Cobain. God knows that irritating junkie gets enough attention, if he dies before his popularity wanes further he'll be a demigod, immortalised in pop culture legend, and insufferably annoying long after he's rotted away.

But do people anywhere in the world really have the same emotional connection with Doherty that they did with Nirvana? Is there some grand cult over in Britain that feel defined by Doherty? I know it's not that way over here, obviously, but I don't know.

Quote from: GuitarJunkie
Sssh not so loud.

Suicide wouldn't be an option there... because his music would still be around. The only solution here would be to go back in time and kill his grandpa so as to save us all from crappy Disney soundtracks.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
Libertines
« Reply #35 on: 13 Jul 2006, 21:02 »

Or you could just not listen to them.  Radical solution, I know.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Libertines
« Reply #36 on: 13 Jul 2006, 21:12 »

Quote from: sjbrot
Quote from: amok

But do people anywhere in the world really have the same emotional connection with Doherty that they did with Nirvana? Is there some grand cult over in Britain that feel defined by Doherty? I know it's not that way over here, obviously, but I don't know.

There are some, I'm sure.

It would probably be worse if Brian Molko killed himself though.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
Libertines
« Reply #37 on: 13 Jul 2006, 21:32 »

Quote from: sjbrot
Quote from: GuitarJunkie
Sssh not so loud.

Suicide wouldn't be an option there... because his music would still be around. The only solution here would be to go back in time and kill his grandpa so as to save us all from crappy Disney soundtracks.

I will take having to listen to every crappy Disney songtrack in the word as long as we still have The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Chymes

• Plantmonster
Libertines
« Reply #38 on: 14 Jul 2006, 04:08 »

Pete Doherty is atypical fatal flaw sort of guy. Libertines are a very good band. I don't know why it's cool to hate them.

Willem

Libertines
« Reply #39 on: 14 Jul 2006, 04:18 »

'we' don't hate them because it's cool. we hate them because they were crap and brought a little bunch of babies along with them. (well, except for carl barat voice)

Chymes

• Plantmonster
Libertines
« Reply #40 on: 14 Jul 2006, 04:26 »

I think most minds are made up but give this link 10 minutes and hopefully it might change just one mind about the subject. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeEZA68yys0&search=pete%20doherty%20ross

schimmy

• The Tickler
Libertines
« Reply #41 on: 14 Jul 2006, 12:44 »

Once you get past the fact that he's a totally fucking moron who doesn't really deserve to live, his music is quite fun to listen to.

TheMike

Libertines
« Reply #42 on: 14 Jul 2006, 15:24 »

i like the libertines. i couldn't really care less if he is a douche, cuz its not like i'm ever in contact with him....

blood paintings WTF! get some fucking acrylics, blood is not a good artistic medium. learn how to paint like a real man.

Johnny C

• Mentat
Libertines
« Reply #43 on: 14 Jul 2006, 15:43 »

Quote from: Storm Rider
I will take having to listen to every crappy Disney songtrack in the word as long as we still have The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.

So here's the solution as I see it: We go back in time and, as soon as Genesis splits, we "disappear" Phil Collins.

That way, we have Genesis' albums, "Sledgehammer," and no "You'll Be In My Heart." I'm a genius.

Pete Doherty is one of those guys that makes great things despite being a douche. See also: Dane Cook.

Garcin

Libertines
« Reply #44 on: 14 Jul 2006, 16:51 »

I actually don't like the Libertines musically at all.

I don't like the Waaa Waaa Waaa lyrics.
I don't like the fact that they took garage and made it stupid (edit: instrumentally, yes I know they reference Wilde lyrically, when they're not scatting).
I don't like Doherty's voice.

And I think that Doherty, personally, is despicable.

In sum: Not a fan of the Libertines.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
Libertines
« Reply #45 on: 14 Jul 2006, 21:27 »

So, let's spend the rest of this thread talking about how great Genesis were before Hackett and Gabriel left the band.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Libertines
« Reply #46 on: 14 Jul 2006, 21:30 »

Quote from: Moiche
yes I know they reference Wilde lyrically

So, basically, the Libertines are The Smiths all over again, but someone found an even bigger twunt than Morrisey to front the whole show?

Luke C

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • http://www.john87.com
Libertines
« Reply #47 on: 15 Jul 2006, 09:39 »

Quote from: schimmy
Man, I hope Pete doesn't die. He'll be this generation's Cobain.

So true. Cobain was talented but overrated but nothing on a par with Doherty. He sucks badly but is worshiped. People are dumb.
"These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert to fleece the people, and now that they have got into a quarrel with themselves, we are called upon to appropriate the people's money to settle the quarrel." Lincoln in 1837

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
Libertines
« Reply #48 on: 15 Jul 2006, 13:01 »

Quote from: KharBevNor

So, basically, the Libertines are The Smiths all over again, but someone found an even bigger twunt than Morrisey to front the whole show?

I love the Smiths, but one of my pet peeves about them is that Morrissey often just goes "hey look, I read Wilde". I did love the song where he namedrops Wilde, Keats and Yeats AND manages to fuck up the spelling on the song's title.
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

Praeserpium Machinarum

Libertines
« Reply #49 on: 15 Jul 2006, 14:07 »

I thought he did it on purpose as some sort of silly statement or to be an arse.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up