THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 01:55
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Libertines  (Read 16759 times)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Libertines
« Reply #50 on: 15 Jul 2006, 14:55 »

While we're talking about the Smiths, when the hell did Morrissey get fat? I saw some interview with him in 1995 where he was still skinny as hell, but sometime in the nineties he just became the fat has-been he is now. When did that happen, and why did it happen?
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

schimmy

• The Tickler
Libertines
« Reply #51 on: 15 Jul 2006, 15:11 »

Well he did move to America...

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
Libertines
« Reply #52 on: 15 Jul 2006, 15:14 »

That is something that baffles me (about Alec Baldwin too), how the fuck does a vegan get fat?
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

schimmy

• The Tickler
Libertines
« Reply #53 on: 15 Jul 2006, 15:21 »

You got to hand it to 'em, it takes a lot of skill to become a fat vegan.

eternie

Libertines
« Reply #54 on: 15 Jul 2006, 15:34 »

So... we worship Pink Floyd (drugs much?) but hate Pete Doherty for it? Yes, I see the sense.

It's not that I'm saying his music is great or whatever. I think that the drug bit is not as important as people make out.

*random*

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Libertines
« Reply #55 on: 15 Jul 2006, 19:40 »

Quote from: schimmy
You got to hand it to 'em, it takes a lot of skill to become a fat vegan.

Drugs, alcohol, chocolate and big tubs of Soy butter.

Also, on the Floyd front, there is a huuuuuuge difference between opiates and hallucinogens.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
Libertines
« Reply #56 on: 15 Jul 2006, 20:30 »

I'm pretty sure Morrissey is too big a sissy to do drugs or too much alcohol, but the rest seem reasonable, except chocolate, which contains milk.
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

Mobius_Logic

• Emoticontraindication
Libertines
« Reply #57 on: 15 Jul 2006, 21:16 »

Hmm, I like Dirty Pretty Things a bit, mostly the song "You Fucking Love It" thats a fun song. I think people have a tendancie to exagerate the characteristics of famous people, and will believe what they want to, I dont know much about Dohetry but from what people said about him he doesn't seem so one sided and he has his good sides. Granted he does not seem like a great guy.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Libertines
« Reply #58 on: 16 Jul 2006, 00:40 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
an even bigger twunt than Morrisey

Woah. Let's not say anything we can't take back, guys.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
Libertines
« Reply #59 on: 16 Jul 2006, 04:31 »

Indeed, when was the last time Doherty boycotted an entire country, and compared killing seals as a means of making enough money to the Holocaust?

Not that Doherty isn't a fucking twat.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Libertines
« Reply #60 on: 16 Jul 2006, 08:47 »

Quote from: eternie
So... we worship Pink Floyd (drugs much?) but hate Pete Doherty for it? Yes, I see the sense.

Congratulations, you just stuck your foot in your mouth.

Despite them being seen as a 'drug band,' drugs played very little part in Pink Floyd's music. None of them took LSD after Syd's breakdown, they smoked dope yes, but very rarely, and there were never class As lying around the studio, if anywhere else. The Floyd were not a drug band, at least not post-1967.

Garcin

Libertines
« Reply #61 on: 16 Jul 2006, 11:04 »

Clarification: they were not known for finding their inspiration in drugs in the the '70s.  I'm sure if you took the total amount of LSD, ludes, shrooms and cannabis consumed by people listening to Pink Floyd in the '70s, you could fuck the world up every day forever.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Libertines
« Reply #62 on: 16 Jul 2006, 11:30 »

What the hell does that have to do with hating Pete Doherty for being a crack-addicted cock jockey?

Is it being implied that we're hypocrites for liking Pink Floyd despite their fans being druggies, but hating Pete Doherty for being a druggy?

schimmy

• The Tickler
Libertines
« Reply #63 on: 16 Jul 2006, 11:47 »

Well, I suppose if you're making the assumption that Pink Floyd fans are druggies, and that the people here bashing Doherty for being a druggy are Pink Floyd fans, then there is some hypocrisy.
Of course, that requires some pretty major assumptions and generalisations to be true.

Garcin

Libertines
« Reply #64 on: 16 Jul 2006, 11:48 »

Quote from: DynamiteKid
What the hell does that have to do with hating Pete Doherty for being a crack-addicted cock jockey?

Is it being implied that we're hypocrites for liking Pink Floyd despite their fans being druggies, but hating Pete Doherty for being a druggy?

Not at all.  I think comparing Pink Floyd and Pete Doherety is absurd.  I think Doherty is rubbish, and Pink Floyd are one of the most significant things to happen to music in the past 50 years.  I also think that this would be true regardless of what the members of Pink Floyd, Doherty or their respective fans consumed.  I was just disambiguating the phrase "drug band".  I was actually aiming for funny/ironic.

EDIT: Also, as I said before I don't dislike Doherty because he's got an on-again/off-again relationship with horse.  I dislike him because he's a creepy pasty small talent fuckwad that shoots his own blood at cameramen, and draws blood from semi-comatose groupies while his best buds take photographs for posterity.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Libertines
« Reply #65 on: 16 Jul 2006, 12:18 »

Quote from: schimmy
Well, I suppose if you're making the assumption that Pink Floyd fans are druggies, and that the people here bashing Doherty for being a druggy are Pink Floyd fans, then there is some hypocrisy.
Of course, that requires some pretty major assumptions and generalisations to be true.

Well, exactly. This is basically all I could glean from eternie's post combined with Moiche. Although ignoring his, eternie's still makes no sense.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Libertines
« Reply #66 on: 16 Jul 2006, 14:32 »

Guys, guys, guys. We're losing focus.

The topic of the thread is "Discuss Pete Doherty's Inherently Douchebaggy Nature." Isn't it?
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Garcin

Libertines
« Reply #67 on: 16 Jul 2006, 14:37 »

I don't know.  There's some debate about whether Doherty was born an unbelievable douchebag, or whether he was born with a predisposition toward douchebaggery which was then exacerbated when he made conscious choices to be a total twat.  

We may never know the truth.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Libertines
« Reply #68 on: 16 Jul 2006, 15:25 »

Quote from: E. Spaceman
I'm pretty sure Morrissey is too big a sissy to do drugs or too much alcohol, but the rest seem reasonable, except chocolate, which contains milk.

Dude, I can totally see Morrisey, just like, lying on a divan, stuffing himself with plain chocolate treats and guzzling red wine, crying and writing songs that try to find that old balance between gloom and camp once more, but fail no matter how hard he tries because he can't find a decent guitarist.

I can also see Morrisey going to his fridge and eating a tub of vegetarian ice cream every time someone says something bad about him. So, a lot.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
Libertines
« Reply #69 on: 16 Jul 2006, 20:33 »

Quote from: Moiche
I don't know.  There's some debate about whether Doherty was born an unbelievable douchebag, or whether he was born with a predisposition toward douchebaggery which was then exacerbated when he made conscious choices to be a total twat.  

We may never know the truth.

Sig quote!
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

pat101

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • A Minor Mass
Libertines
« Reply #70 on: 16 Jul 2006, 22:38 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
Quote from: E. Spaceman

Dude, I can totally see Morrisey, just like, lying on a divan, stuffing himself with plain chocolate treats and guzzling red wine, crying and writing songs that try to find that old balance between gloom and camp once more, but fail no matter how hard he tries because he can't find a decent guitarist.

I can also see Morrisey going to his fridge and eating a tub of vegetarian ice cream every time someone says something bad about him. So, a lot.

I just spit my coke all over myself, nice work THAT is hilarious.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up