THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 16:58
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dead Poets Society  (Read 4757 times)

greenMonkey

• The Tickler
  • WOO
Dead Poets Society
« on: 20 Aug 2006, 19:48 »

I just saw this movie last night, and it was amazing.  I seriously think it is one of the best movies I have seen.  Anyone else like it/not like it/seen it?

Kid Modernist

Dead Poets Society
« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2006, 19:51 »

I thought it was pretty okay. It kind of goes overboard with the artisticness but I think there's hardly a way to avoid that. It's good if you don't take it or yourself too seriously. (But not totally unseriously?)

greenMonkey

• The Tickler
  • WOO
Dead Poets Society
« Reply #2 on: 20 Aug 2006, 19:54 »

It does over-dramatize some things, but I think that can be very powerful in fiction (book or film).

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
Dead Poets Society
« Reply #3 on: 20 Aug 2006, 21:07 »

I thought it was a pretty good movie, I love to make fun of the Oh captain my captain any time I can

Electric Monk

Dead Poets Society
« Reply #4 on: 20 Aug 2006, 21:20 »

Really really good film. It's got my favourite Robin Williams performance this side of Good Will Hunting. Though I confess that what the theatre kid does seems a little overdramatic. I do hope I can be in a Poets Society sometime.

Lines

• Awakened
Dead Poets Society
« Reply #5 on: 21 Aug 2006, 06:23 »

it's a pretty good film. i didn't see it until a few years ago, but watching it one time was enough to make me want to buy it.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Lise

• Furry furrier
    • Face Me
Dead Poets Society
« Reply #6 on: 21 Aug 2006, 23:52 »

It was a pretty decent movie (for a high school English class to watch), but then again, we saw Shattered Glass in English as well :P, and that's a better movie IMO.

Dead Poet's Society just reminded me of that Kevin Kline film, The Emperor's Club.

(Dead Taco Society) CARRRPEEE.... BURRITTOO.

Lines

• Awakened
Dead Poets Society
« Reply #7 on: 22 Aug 2006, 07:00 »

Quote from: Lise
CARRRPEEE.... BURRITTOO.

ha....seize the small donkey. now i want a burrito (food, not donkey) and it's like...10.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

AJTaliesen

Dead Poets Society
« Reply #8 on: 29 Aug 2006, 09:43 »

Quote from: Lise

Dead Poet's Society just reminded me of that Kevin Kline film, The Emperor's Club.

Dead Poets Society came out first (by about 13 years or so).  Part of the reason Emperors Club was not as successful was because it was a little obvious in it's attempts (at least in it's trailers and commercials) to be a DPS remake with Kevin Kline.

Of course, Kline is still one of my favorite actors, but credit where it's due: DPS was an awesome movie.  Don't forget that it was made before some of the people who read this forum were born.  Some of it's cliches are only cliches because this movie was so popular they BECAME cliche.

(I was in High school at the time, and for the record: the indie kids went gaga over this one).

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
Dead Poets Society
« Reply #9 on: 29 Aug 2006, 18:13 »

Dead Poets' Society. Yeah, it's a pretty good film, but it's so fucking earnest that it's a little hard to take seriously.

"OH CAPTAIN MY CAPTAIN"

fatty

• FIGHT YOU
    • the Notorious F.A.T.T.Y.
Dead Poets Society
« Reply #10 on: 30 Aug 2006, 08:24 »

i loved that movie and i really did appreciate the literature in it. They don't make movies like that anymore, people just don't understand intellegence.

i quote it all the time, where i found 'oh captain my captain' and 'we're not laughing at you, we're laughing near you' which i think is from that movie too.
est: she is basically an ass to everyone

JLM

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
Dead Poets Society
« Reply #11 on: 30 Aug 2006, 10:26 »

One of the few decent Ethan Hawke performances, though it still doesn't beat his performance in "Explorers."

Interesting that Robert Sean Leonard and Kurtwood Smith both ended up on the Fox Network.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Dead Poets Society
« Reply #12 on: 30 Aug 2006, 15:41 »

I like it.

We were supposed to watch it in English, but for some reason we watched Mean Girls instead. How this related to the lesson plan? I have no goddamn idea.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.
Pages: [1]   Go Up