THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 21:41
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AP ART  (Read 13779 times)

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
AP ART
« on: 16 Apr 2006, 22:06 »

So for any high school students that even CARE about this part of the board, brag about your AP Art concentration here.

I'm doing liner notes for my band's album, one picture for every song. Each picture is a different cityscape, and I do a background in one medium - say, charcoal - and do a building, structure, object, etc. in another medium - say, watercolour - and then paste the building structure object thing onto the background. I've got to clean that phrase up for my statement, but that's pretty much it.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Stifled Dreams

AP ART
« Reply #1 on: 17 Apr 2006, 07:56 »

Jeaaallooousy. I fucked up my schedule this year, so next year I'm taking 1st year art with freshmen. A few of my friends are taking it, too, luckily.

That sounds pretty cool, though. I'd like to see the finish product!

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
AP ART
« Reply #2 on: 17 Apr 2006, 15:54 »

well when i was in highschool i took an old wooden school chair (the kind with the little desktop attatched to the arm); it had to be from the 20's or 30's; and i painted it all white then used black acrylic paint over that to create a tribute to Hunter S. Thompson.
using a stencil i made of an Annie Liebovitz photo, quotes from his life and writings, and a few of those caricatures (sp?) that guy printed in a book (sorry i forgot his name; you h.s.t. nuts know who i'm talkin about).
anyway, i was pretty proud of it.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Lines

• Awakened
AP ART
« Reply #3 on: 19 Apr 2006, 14:55 »

my hs didn't get AP art until the year after i graduated. and they wouldn't let me take any art classes anyway. which is dumb, because that's what i'm in college for.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

sassyg

so...
« Reply #4 on: 13 Jun 2006, 20:37 »

this year for AP Studio, I had a 3-D Portfolio. What it is, is 12 sculptures (inspired by Henry Moore) of action figures using poles (Scanga) and each figure being made out of clay...for the other two sections i have stuff ranging from the use of plaster to at somepoint using saudering...

Johnny C

• Mentat
AP ART
« Reply #5 on: 11 Jul 2006, 16:40 »

I got a 2.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
AP ART
« Reply #6 on: 11 Jul 2006, 17:37 »

Quote from: Scandanavian War Machine
well when i was in highschool i took an old wooden school chair (the kind with the little desktop attatched to the arm); it had to be from the 20's or 30's; and i painted it all white then used black acrylic paint over that to create a tribute to Hunter S. Thompson.
using a stencil i made of an Annie Liebovitz photo, quotes from his life and writings, and a few of those caricatures (sp?) that guy printed in a book (sorry i forgot his name; you h.s.t. nuts know who i'm talkin about).
anyway, i was pretty proud of it.

His name is Ralph Steadman, and that chair sounds pretty ace. Any chance of a photo?
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Johnny C

• Mentat
AP ART
« Reply #7 on: 24 Jul 2006, 14:59 »

Lines

• Awakened
AP ART
« Reply #8 on: 24 Jul 2006, 15:08 »

i generally think that AP art is a silly idea. why? because it tells you nothing. it tells you a select few opinions. criticism is all opinion. there is no definite yes and no in art. which is why ap art bugs me.

Johnny C

• Mentat
AP ART
« Reply #9 on: 24 Jul 2006, 19:00 »

And really it didn't give me any opinions, just "NOT GOOD ENOUGH." Not good enough to meet what standard?

There were some people in my class who really didn't deserve the mark they got - easily the most artistically brilliant fellow got a 3, while someone who just blew up photographs got a 5 and also got the Art 30 award. It was silly.

Lines

• Awakened
AP ART
« Reply #10 on: 25 Jul 2006, 07:18 »

which is why i don't like the idea of it. the other tests, yes. mostly those are based on actual skill of writing or knowledge of math and whatnot. but there is no defining artribute to art that makes one thing better than another.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
AP ART
« Reply #11 on: 25 Jul 2006, 17:39 »

while someone who just blew up photographs got a 5 and also got the Art 30 award. It was silly.

"Photography is art for the untalented."
-Gore Vidal

Seriously, guys. I can take black and white photos of coffee cups too. The only difference is that I will plaster my pictures with comments about how ARTY MY PHOTOS ARE AND HOW I AM A VISIONARY WITH A CAMERA LOL!

I don't know what the hell this post really says, actually.

But fuck photography.

EDIT: I'm revising that last statement. Fuck photographers who take themselves faaar to seriously.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Stifled Dreams

AP ART
« Reply #12 on: 25 Jul 2006, 18:07 »

Time spent on this message: Too long.
Good points made: 0

Spinless

AP ART
« Reply #13 on: 25 Jul 2006, 18:15 »

I am not a photographer.
I cannot make art by just taking a picture of an object I did not adjust in some way.
There are VERY few photographers I call 'artist'.
To be a photographer you need the tools, but also vision. You see need to see things that other people don't see and are interesting.

Flowers are not interesting.
That guy scratching his butt while two people argue in the background and somebody is spilling coffee as he is walking by because a little girl scared the pigeons which flew toward him?
THAT is interesting.
Take a picture of that.
JUST NO FUCKING FLOWERS.

Lines

• Awakened
AP ART
« Reply #14 on: 25 Jul 2006, 18:54 »

i respect photography. ESPECIALLY when done in a dark room and any manipulations done to it are not digital and actually done in the dark room. people can do things with a camera that amaze me, considering all i know how to do is point and click with my digital. this man, jerry uelsmann, is seriously my favorite photographer ever. it is some hella good stuff.

i wasn't allowed to take art in high school. which i find hilarious.

Stifled Dreams

AP ART
« Reply #15 on: 25 Jul 2006, 19:20 »

Why the hell not?

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
AP ART
« Reply #16 on: 25 Jul 2006, 19:36 »

Quote from: Spinless

Flowers are not interesting.
That guy scratching his butt while two people argue in the background and somebody is spilling coffee as he is walking by because a little girl scared the pigeons which flew toward him?
THAT is interesting.
Take a picture of that.
JUST NO FUCKING FLOWERS.

Actually, this totally conveys pretty much my opinion on the subject like 90 thousand times better than I could try.

Lines

• Awakened
AP ART
« Reply #17 on: 25 Jul 2006, 19:39 »

because i was in choir and orchestra and i wouldn't drop either. though a few of my friends who were in both of those with me were allowed to take it, but no, my advisor said i was not allowed. she said it was a waste and put me in health instead.

but health was cool...i did more sleeping and doodling in there than in my other classes! talk about productive!

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
AP ART
« Reply #18 on: 25 Jul 2006, 19:49 »

Health was seriously the most productive class I had freshmen year. Mostly because I was doing every other classes' homework in it.

Johnny C

• Mentat
AP ART
« Reply #19 on: 26 Jul 2006, 01:38 »

Quote from: folks
stuff about photography

Being a 2-D design kid, I actually quite like photography - plus I'm kind of good at it. My comments were misinterpreted, I believe: I meant that the recipient of that art award simply followed these steps.

1) Find picture in book.
2) Draw picture on canvas/paper.
3) Paint.
4) Bask in creative genius.

Meanwhile, a guy across the room is using charcoal and hatching to create this beautiful piece of melancholy monochrome which conveys this sense of utter loneliness - which, by the way, was the focus of his concentration - and somehow he gets a three, and despite being visibly the most talented among the entire class doesn't manage to get the art award we all know he deserves.

That was the part I thought to be bogus.

Spinless

AP ART
« Reply #20 on: 26 Jul 2006, 07:11 »

Art is the one subject where you could scream what Johnny just said at your tutor and get praise for instead of trouble.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
AP ART
« Reply #21 on: 26 Jul 2006, 07:45 »

I'm sorry Kai, no Mitch Clem comic this time
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Lines

• Awakened
AP ART
« Reply #22 on: 26 Jul 2006, 08:13 »

yay cat and girl! though i like this one better:

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
AP ART
« Reply #23 on: 26 Jul 2006, 08:48 »

While that is a great comic, I think Art or Not is more relevant to this discussion.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Lines

• Awakened
AP ART
« Reply #24 on: 26 Jul 2006, 08:50 »

i know. ^_^

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
AP ART
« Reply #25 on: 26 Jul 2006, 10:35 »

NO FUCKING WAY

THERE HAS TO BE A MITCH CLEM COMIC FOR THIS

YOU CAN'T DESTROY MY THEORY

JUST LIKE THAT

YOU SON OF A BITCH

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
AP ART
« Reply #26 on: 26 Jul 2006, 11:33 »

I KNOW

But I'm too lazy to go over the NN2S and SARC archives to see.

edit:
I'M GOING OVER THEM NOW

OMFG

I DONT KNOW WHAT TO BELIEVE IN ANYMORE
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

uchronia

AP art
« Reply #27 on: 26 Jul 2006, 17:57 »

I'm going into AP art this year.
I've come up with a few concentration ideas.
I e-mailed my teacher but she hasn't replied.
She's probably in Cabo or Hawai'i or Michigan. (I don't really know.)
I want to do something that has to do with cultures around the world.
Yep.
I have to work on about 8 different summer assignments which will all be due on the first day of school. Bleh. I MEAN--ART! FUUUN! :D
I need to do a figure drawing, a landscape, a portrait, a self-portrait, a perspective drawing and then two other pieces I want to include which can be any style or medium.
I think I'm missing one more, but oh well.
I haven't started any of this.
I've got to get cracking or I will surely fail. lesigh
Pages: [1]   Go Up