THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 Apr 2024, 21:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dual Core Processors  (Read 5830 times)

Zaak Morehavoc

Dual Core Processors
« on: 25 Jul 2006, 07:45 »

which in oyu opinion is better, give reason
dual core AMD64
or
dual core pentium vibe ( i think thats it....)
for personal opinion, and shoping... money money money

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
Dual Core Processors
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jul 2006, 09:51 »

Intel have been producing better CPU's recently, so I've heard.

Zaak Morehavoc

Dual Core Processors
« Reply #2 on: 25 Jul 2006, 11:03 »

what i really wish is that sun still made awomse computers, i have a 7 year old sun server thats better then a new hp my compay just bought, but its too old to be compatable with anything :(

SpacemanSpiff

Dual Core Processors
« Reply #3 on: 25 Jul 2006, 11:03 »

Up until the Core technology, Intel's CPUs sucked in my opinion. But the new Core CPUs apparently seem very fast and energy efficient. So if you can get one of these (i.e. you have the money and you need a mobo upgrade anyway), go for them.
If you're cheaper, AMDs dual cores certainly aren't bad choice either, but they're slower than the Cores.

Unless you already have a Pentium + mobo and don't feel like buying a new motherboard as well, don't get a Pentium, however.

Zaak Morehavoc

Dual Core Processors
« Reply #4 on: 25 Jul 2006, 11:54 »

ok, im oging to go all out i have 2,000 to spend and imm make another 2,000 the rest of the summer so, and id like a computer that can actualy do more then my current laptops and my desktop

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
Dual Core Processors
« Reply #5 on: 25 Jul 2006, 17:53 »

Ok, quick thing:  the "Vibe" thing you're talking about isn't actually a processor, it's probably Intel's new "viiv" platform.  It's basically a set of rules for PC-makers to conform to when they are making home theatre PCs.

As for recommendations, it depends on when you are wanting to buy this PC?

If you are looking for maximum performance for price then Intel's Core 2 Duo cpus have finally caught up with AMD's Athlon 64 x2 cpus.  So if you are going to be buying at any point in the immediate future you'll be well-served by choosing either as your pocket allows.

Also, you should definitely be able to buy a PC that will do everything you want to do for $2k USD or under.  I can put together an awesome PC for about $2k AUD, which is equivalent to about $1.5k USD.  Just remember that you don't need to get the biggest and baddest CPU they have in the shop.  If you look at the CPU prices you'll notice that they step up gradually to a certain point, then start jumping up in larger amounts.  You'll want to buy the last CPU before the price starts jumping up stupidly.

I'm not sure how the prices are over there, but over here in Australia the pricepoint for AMD cpus, for example, i at the x2 4200+ at the moment, because the 3800 is  about $240, then the 4200 is about $295, then there is a big jump up to the 4600 at $375 and a bigger jump up to the 5000 at $475.  You'll see the same thing happen with the Intel line at the Core 2 duo E6400.

nihilist

Dual Core Processors
« Reply #6 on: 26 Jul 2006, 11:33 »

I'll heartily recommend the Core 2 Duo.  It thoroughly trounces the AMD X2s pretty nicely.  Also: lower power, less heat.  Of course, AMD just did some big price cuts, so their stuff, while not as fast, may be cheaper (again).  I'd still bite it, and get a C2D.

(And just so you don't think I'm an Intel shill, I currently have an X2 in my workstation, an AMD 64 in the older one, and an Opteron 246 HE in my most recent server.)

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
Dual Core Processors
« Reply #7 on: 26 Jul 2006, 17:56 »

That's the same attitude I had until I read a really good http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTEwOCwsLGhlbnRodXNpYXN0">HardOCP article a little while ago comparing the two cpus in a practical manner instead of just looking at benchmarks as I usually do.

Even though the benchmarks for the Core 2 Duo seem fairly impressive it doesn't look like there is all that much in the way of real-world difference for my needs (playing games).

nihilist

Dual Core Processors
« Reply #8 on: 28 Jul 2006, 08:33 »

I paid close attention to the gaming benchmarks, and the C2D beat out the FX in everything, pretty handily.  All this while consuming less power and generating less heat.

And I hate HardOCP.  :)

TheMedic

Dual Core Processors
« Reply #9 on: 30 Jul 2006, 21:07 »

First off, if you are going for a gaming rig, I would avoid dual cores for now.

I built one back in march, and only about half the games I own are able to work (ex of work-Oblivion, F.E.A.R. Not working:Rome:Total War, Psychonauts)

I went with AMD and it can handle everything I run, if it is dual core compatible.

I've been on some tech forums and other users seem to have similar problems too.

If you know about the 3D mark testing program with an Nvidia 7800 GTX (just one not enough cash for another) I got a score around 7,700
Also, iTunes crashes on 63 bit computers.

Edit: Side Note: AMD Dual Core X2 not FX

Alegis

Dual Core Processors
« Reply #10 on: 31 Jul 2006, 02:44 »

They're releasing quad core soon, but I'll jump on the dual core wagon as much more gets supported.
My AGP graphics card is still good (ATi X850xt pe) so I'll switch to PCI dual core motherboard when its outdated

nihilist

Dual Core Processors
« Reply #11 on: 31 Jul 2006, 09:45 »

I'm not sure where your problem with dual core is; I have an X2 and I game like nobody else.  I played FEAR, Oblivion, etc. without a problem.  I play BF2 and EVE pretty much daily without a problem.  So, if there is a problem, it isn't with the hardware.

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
Dual Core Processors
« Reply #12 on: 31 Jul 2006, 17:51 »

The first thing to realize about dual-core processors, is that few people actually need them. Two processors won't increase the performance of games, but it is very helpful if you like to multitask. Dual-cores are perfect for someone who likes to run several high-end processes at once, but if you're a single-minded person, they won't benefit you.

That being said, the new Intel Core 2 Duo is an amazing processor. While they're a bit expensive right now (not to mention supply and demand tells us they'll be out of stock for awhile, now), they're incredibly energy-efficient, as a 2.4ghz Core 2 could rival most AMD processors on the market. While the higher-level models of the Core 2 (I'm looking at you, Intel Extreme), are too expensive for any but the most die-hard gamer, the 2.3, 2.4, and 2.6 are all well-priced for the performance they put out.

One problem with the Core 2s, like all new technology, is that compatible hardware is, while not difficult to find, certainly takes a bit of searching. Specifically, motherboards that are compatible are a minority right now, and there are even fewer that support Crossfire. You won't find a non gaming-grade mobo that supports Core 2, and the number of mobos that support Crossfire AND Core 2 are very limited (ASUS makes a great gaming-grade mobo as seen here that supports both).

Anything else you need to know, Zaak?
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

nihilist

Dual Core Processors
« Reply #13 on: 31 Jul 2006, 20:27 »

The C2D fits in most recent motherboards, and just requies a BIOS upgrade.  Shouldn't be too hard to find a motherboard for them.

Crossfire and SLI mobos are always a bit behind, because they are not Intel-designed.  They should show up pretty quickly, though.

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
Dual Core Processors
« Reply #14 on: 31 Jul 2006, 21:23 »

I'm predicting through my omnipotence that while C2D and above are XbleedingXedgeX right now, they're much too expensive to justify the purchase.

Unless you're rendering a massive graphic arts file (example), there's no need for such a high-end processor.

Just my observations...
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

not_inspired

Dual Core Processors
« Reply #15 on: 01 Aug 2006, 19:31 »

I tried running ableton live on a amd system last year and even my P4 3.0 which was slower kicked its ass. I suppose AMD is good if your a gamer or a linux geek but im stuck with intel for now due to music production. and how did intel lose their stigma as being as evil as microsoft

dennis

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • A sockful of quarters makes the medicine go down.
    • Lies! Truth!
Dual Core Processors
« Reply #16 on: 02 Sep 2006, 10:35 »

Quote from: TheMedic
First off, if you are going for a gaming rig, I would avoid dual cores for now.

I built one back in march, and only about half the games I own are able to work (ex of work-Oblivion, F.E.A.R. Not working:Rome:Total War, Psychonauts)

I went with AMD and it can handle everything I run, if it is dual core compatible.

I've been on some tech forums and other users seem to have similar problems too.

If you know about the 3D mark testing program with an Nvidia 7800 GTX (just one not enough cash for another) I got a score around 7,700
Also, iTunes crashes on 63 bit computers.

Edit: Side Note: AMD Dual Core X2 not FX

This is most likely because you're running 64 bit windows with 32 bit games,

OR

you're using a pirated copy of windows and you haven't installed all the updates for it.

Or, I guess you may have just configured your system badly or are running too hot of an overclock.
---
In any case, running programs that can't handle dual-core (GTA:San Andreas, for example) in windows 98 compatibility mode or setting their processor affinity to one processor solves those problems.

There really isn't a reason to stick with a single-core solution now that the Core 2 Duo is out and X2 processors have gone to huge price cuts. Gaming doesn't suffer much, if at all, and general productivity increases even if you're not using SMP aware programs simply because you can run threads on multiple processors.

However, there is NO reason to buy Pentium Ds anymore. Those things are extremely expensive hot plates.
Pages: [1]   Go Up