THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 23:33
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pick your brain?  (Read 2631 times)

Alchemist

Pick your brain?
« on: 27 Jul 2006, 19:36 »

Technical question for those more computer-savvy than I.

I have an ATI graphics card.  It's a Radeon 9800XT AGP with 256 megs of memory.  And she's borked.  At least, I'm pretty sure it's the card.  I can't play any graphics-intensive game (WoW, Doom 3, UT2004, and the like) for more than about 20 minutes before I get a total system freeze and have to restart.  Sometimes it just goes to a black screen, sometimes the screen freezes, sometimes I get pretty lines and dots.  In any event, I have to restart the box by hitting the power switch -- and I die a little inside every time that happens.

Anyway, my question is: can anyone recommend a decent replacement card?  Good name, good quality for the price, and such?  I'm less than ignorant about the economic climate of computer component sales.  And I really would like to avoid going to a Best Buy or somesuch and being railroaded by some salesman into buying something overpriced that I don't really need or want.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
Pick your brain?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jul 2006, 22:20 »

check out: http://shsc.info/PCPartsPickingGuide#titelanker13

Has some quick info on what kinds of cards you should be looking at.

If I recall correctly, you'll probably want something like a Radeon x1600xt or a Geforce 7600 at the moment.  The mid-range cards are classically the best picks price:performance wise.
Pages: [1]   Go Up