THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 Apr 2024, 03:13
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Guitar Hero <3  (Read 35384 times)

Narr

Re: Guitar Hero <3
« Reply #50 on: 20 Nov 2006, 03:07 »

Yeah, no joke.  I had no problems with the first guitar hero except for a couple of songs on expert (pretty much just Cowboys from Hell and a few of the unlockable songs) and this time around, and I couldn't even 4-star every song, let alone get 5-stars on all of them.  Misorlou is a very difficult song.

Which song are you having problems with, dennis?  I don't know the tracklist well enough to know which the 3rd song is.

dennis

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • A sockful of quarters makes the medicine go down.
    • Lies! Truth!
« Reply #51 on: 20 Nov 2006, 18:54 »

"Laid to Rest". I donno the tracklist very well, myself.

I couldn't do "Freya" either, but my roommate passed it. And "Rock this town" i just can't get the syncopated rythm down.

dennis

• Lies! Truth!
« Reply #52 on: 24 Nov 2006, 18:46 »

Actually it was 'Carry Me Home', but I passed it two nights ago. I got Laid to Rest the same night. Psychobilly Freakout last night, and I've had lots of practice on YYZ because of the demo.

Now i'm stuck on that Avenged Sevenfold song.

Narr

« Reply #53 on: 27 Nov 2006, 12:39 »

I'm on Hangar 18 on Expert.  Can't beat it.  I get about 85% every time and just die.  It's not so much that EXACT part that kills me so much as it is the fact there's like 5 minutes of insane solos before you get there and I just don't have the endurance to follow what's going on.

weissbrot

« Reply #54 on: 28 Nov 2006, 23:00 »

For everyone without a Playstation at hand, there is a PC alternative, and it's freeware!

It is called Frets on Fire, it has been recommended to me two days ago and i've been playing since. It comes with only three songs in it's virgin state, but has an editor to make your own and the web is of course an endless source for everything...

Oh and by the way, if you're asking yourself how it works with a keyboard here is a hint:

(That is not me, everyone give a hearty round of applause for Ball :D)

Here are the necessary links: http://louhi.kempele.fi/~skyostil/uv/fretsonfire/
sourceforge mirror

dennis

• Lies! Truth!
« Reply #55 on: 30 Nov 2006, 16:08 »

I beat the game a couple of hours ago on expert. Now I can finally play pro faceoff!

Freebird was giving me trouble, for the same reason Hangar18 was giving you trouble, except several times worse.

You know how in practice mode, the section labels for Hangar18 go "solo 1, solo 2... solo 7!, solo 8!!, solo 9!!!"? Well, in Freebird, they go "solo a" through freaking "solo s". Plus, it takes 5 minutes of slogging through the easy beginning to get to teh solos.

With a few hours of practicing HO/PO runs, I finally got it. Didn't even really need star power that much.

dennis

• Lies! Truth!
« Reply #56 on: 30 Nov 2006, 16:13 »

I'm on Hangar 18 on Expert.  Can't beat it.  I get about 85% every time and just die.  It's not so much that EXACT part that kills me so much as it is the fact there's like 5 minutes of insane solos before you get there and I just don't have the endurance to follow what's going on.
I find that after about an hour of warmup, I basically go "into the zone". I play like a machine.

My main problem is that on sustained repetitive sections, I basically get tenser and tenser, waiting for that flub that it makes it extremely difficult to recover. In the zone (or maybe after a bowl), I stop building up that tension, and get higher hit rates.

Narr

« Reply #57 on: 30 Nov 2006, 22:29 »

Freebird is easy for me.  I've beaten the song on Expert in Quick Play.  It's probably from the years of having heard the song, but it simply doesn't have any parts I find overly difficult, despite the length.  Guitar Solo 7! and then 9!!! on Hangar 18 slaughter me.

Also, a friend recently pointed out a neat webcomic to me and I found this while going through the archives.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #58 on: 01 Dec 2006, 04:49 »

Basically, the point of Hangar 18 is that Marty Friedman is a better guitar player than you.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

dennis

• Lies! Truth!
« Reply #59 on: 01 Dec 2006, 14:57 »

Freebird is easy for me.  I've beaten the song on Expert in Quick Play.  It's probably from the years of having heard the song, but it simply doesn't have any parts I find overly difficult, despite the length.  Guitar Solo 7! and then 9!!! on Hangar 18 slaughter me.

Also, a friend recently pointed out a neat webcomic to me and I found this while going through the archives.
We're basically opposite in playing styles I guess. Hangar18 was pretty easy for me.

I don't find any parts in Freebird too difficult, except for going off time in long trill sections.

I love pro-faceoff mode. My roommate and I didn't bother with the easier difficulties, so it took us a while to get to try it out. It's awesome.

This one's pretty good, too:

Narr

« Reply #60 on: 02 Dec 2006, 19:16 »

The "title" text for that strip you just posted is "When Guitar Hero 2 comes out I'll have fresh conversational material for MONTHS."  That comic is great.

Anyway, Guitar Hero madness has taken over one of the on-campus houses where quite a lot of my friends live.  Over Thanksgiving break, I hooked my PS2 up to their TV downstairs.  I decided to just leave it there because it's not like I have a TV of my own, so I might as well put it somewhere.  There's enough video game nerds in the house that I felt comfortable enough that it wouldn't brake.

I go over there one day after everyone returns and attempt Hangar 18 again.  A guy named Spencer was enthralled.  Even though I lost at around 85% that time (I have beaten the song and then Freebird as of this post, btw), he goes "That is the most incredible thing I've ever seen.  What other songs are on here?"  I went and got 5 stars while playing Sweet Child of Mine after that, and he's been hooked ever since.  In the process, just about the rest of their house now plays it.

It's fun having someone else that's at least good enough to play on Hard to play with.  The multiplayer is seriously fun.  Go play YYZ and play the bass section, because it's harder than the guitar section for that song.

dennis

• Lies! Truth!
« Reply #61 on: 02 Dec 2006, 22:32 »

YYZ is one of my favorites.

Trogdor is also a blast.

Have you tried the handicapped 2 player mode? You can play with noobs pretty well.
---
Do you think I could pick up chix by going to the Best Buy and rocking out on expert? ;)

Narr

« Reply #62 on: 03 Dec 2006, 06:48 »

You'll at least be able to draw a crowd.  I do it just about every time I go down to Wal-Mart.

If they just got the demo version, play "Trippin' on a Hole in a Paper Heart" for best results.  It's pretty easy, and people that don't play the game are way more impressed by the sheer amount of notes and 'speed' of the song than by any of the trickier things.

Guardian 452

« Reply #63 on: 04 Dec 2006, 05:08 »

The lack of Zeppelin and Floyd hurt me dearly.  They better be there in Guitar Hero 3!

Rocinante

« Reply #64 on: 04 Dec 2006, 11:30 »

I just about combusted when I saw that Trogdor was on GH2. (Huge Homestarrunner fan here) I'm really a fan of some of the obscure songs, some of which I can't locate outside of GH for the life of me! I just got it a week or so ago, and am now attempting to play through on the hard difficulty.

...anyone else having trouble with freakin' Jordan?

Guardian 452

« Reply #65 on: 04 Dec 2006, 12:49 »

I haven't even attempted GH2 on Hard.  I can just see myself failing over and over and...AHHH!  I'm just too frightened to try it.

kokeyjoe

« Reply #66 on: 04 Dec 2006, 20:55 »

Yeah, I've been drawing crowds at a few different Best Buys throughout my area.

My girlfriend and I went to Gamestop the weekend after GH2 came out (I bought it the night it came out), so I had already played through the entire thing on Hard at that point.? The guys who worked at the Gamestop were playing it on a big screen TV and were sucking pretty miserably on Easy mode.? So, I figured for fun, I'd go in there and act like I had played the first one a little bit, but not the second one.

I loaded up the Butthole Surfers song on Expert (mind you, I hadn't played it on Expert yet) and got five stars... I figured I'd just impress the guys or something, but before I knew it, one of the guys came over to me with a BAG of free promotional crap!? Two t-shirts, bandanas, game demos, magazines, stickers, wristbands, etc. etc.

I instantly felt guilty.

But my girlfriend thought it was awesome.? She says we're going to take this racket on the road.? So, the real question is...? Who's with me!? I'll drive!? Let's go live a life of luxury through our Guitar Hero skillz!

Edit: P.S. Am I the only one who mentally tried to figure out how to play the passage in that webcomic up there?? I think I got it down, but the tempo could change that, though.
« Last Edit: 04 Dec 2006, 21:01 by kokeyjoe »

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
  • You're talking shit. Explain yourself.
    • I say things sometimes.
« Reply #67 on: 05 Dec 2006, 00:57 »

Edit: P.S. Am I the only one who mentally tried to figure out how to play the passage in that webcomic up there?? I think I got it down, but the tempo could change that, though.

Yeah, I think you are.
i shotgunned a beer, made my facebook pic an american flag, and have been yelling "AMURIKA" all evening.

CRASH andor BURN

« Reply #68 on: 05 Dec 2006, 01:01 »

I need to buy GH2. If only I had money.

Narr

« Reply #69 on: 05 Dec 2006, 01:45 »

...anyone else having trouble with freakin' Jordan?
I tend to start laughing maniacally as the solo comes up because it's so hard, I can't help but laugh.  Sort of like how guys who are getting shelled by artillery start to laugh in spite of themselves.

Furthest I made it into the song was 56%.

Rocinante

« Reply #70 on: 06 Dec 2006, 03:06 »

Man, and I though Freebird was bad. I consider it cruel and unusual that Buckethead wrote Jordan exclusively to be a wicked hard song for GH2.

I don't think i can laugh when the solo comes along, I usually have a seizure instead.

...ooh, pretty colors EVERYWHERE

Narr

« Reply #71 on: 06 Dec 2006, 07:48 »

Jordan wasn't WRITTEN for Guitar Hero.  It was simply recorded for it.  He'd been performing it on-stage for awhile, from what I understand, but had never sat down in a studio to record it.

Rocinante

« Reply #72 on: 06 Dec 2006, 11:00 »

Oops, my bad, I guess the game led me to believe otherwise, and I'm not a Buckethead follower, I guess I have to claim ignorance there.

Narr

« Reply #73 on: 06 Dec 2006, 11:17 »

I used to think that, so don't worry about it.  I only found out otherwise by downloading Buckethead clips on Youtube.

Man, that guy can play the guitar.

Choco

« Reply #74 on: 06 Dec 2006, 12:28 »

The lack of Zeppelin and Floyd hurt me dearly.  They better be there in Guitar Hero 3!

Getting a Zepplin song on ANYTHING, and I mean ANYTHING, would require an unborn fetus, the shrunken head of a Mayan Warrior, and the Holy Grail. They almost never let their songs be used commercially, even in movies. Red Octane has tried to get Zepplin songs on both GH1 and GH2, and have been unsuccessful. Since they've asked for both of the current GH games, maybe asking again for the third would be enough pestering that they may give the permission. Let us pray that they will.
« Last Edit: 06 Dec 2006, 12:30 by Choco »

ramenXnoodles

« Reply #75 on: 09 Dec 2006, 10:21 »

Well, there was a Freebird in GH1 and a Stairway loading screen in GH2.
Freebird is in GH2.
Foreshadowing for GH3 possibly?

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
« Reply #76 on: 10 Dec 2006, 10:37 »

Haha!
"They don't actually want you to play Freebird.  They're just heckling you."
i shotgunned a beer, made my facebook pic an american flag, and have been yelling "AMURIKA" all evening.

Narr

« Reply #77 on: 10 Dec 2006, 23:11 »

I think the loading screens were much funnier in the first one.

"Eleven IS louder than ten."
"Always keep a bottle in the van.  You'll find out."
"Don't give the drummer a mic.  It'll only end in tears."

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
« Reply #78 on: 11 Dec 2006, 00:59 »

"If anybody wants to wear a white belt, kick them out of the band."

"Don't let the lead singer upstage you.  Lead singers are pansies anyway." Or something, I don't quite remember that one verbatim.

EDIT: I remember now. "Don't let the lead singer upstage you. Lead singers are egomaniacs anyway."
« Last Edit: 18 Dec 2006, 07:45 by SilentJ1018 »

Rocinante

« Reply #79 on: 11 Dec 2006, 21:08 »

Yarr

That's one thing that ticked me off about that game.

"You need a mini-fridge in your practice space, it's more important than a bassist"

...or something like that.

Well, then, let's take your bassist away, and see how far you get!!
(Actually, I think a few of those bands could probably get away with that. Oh, well. I guess there's a reason that it's not BASS hero)

dennis

• Lies! Truth!
« Reply #80 on: 17 Dec 2006, 20:10 »

i'm trying to five star everything in expert. I've got the first two sections fives-starred, and most of the ones in the third section.

I foresee psychobilly freakout being a problem, since I can barely pass the bitch.

kokeyjoe

« Reply #81 on: 17 Dec 2006, 20:55 »

The intro riff in that Living End song is painful, even on hard.  I'm never going to five-star everything in Expert.  I finally beat Freebird last weekend, but it was only through sheer strategery with my Star Power.  Same with Hangar 18.  I'll be pleased if I can five-star all of Hard, but Expert is... not practical for me, hehe.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #82 on: 18 Dec 2006, 00:16 »

RE: the loading screens

The first time I was playing GH2, I was playing it into the wee hours of the night. Around 1 in th emorning, my pants were starting to bother me, as I hate clothes and wish I could be a nudist.

So, as I selected my next song and removed them, the loading screen said: "Removing your pants does not deploy Star Power."

And I was in awe.

I suck at this game so hard, though. I've got at least 4 stars in all of medium, 5 in most, but I can't play a hard song at all.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
« Reply #83 on: 18 Dec 2006, 07:47 »

Hee, I am so far behind the times that it's not even funny.  So yesterday was the first time I'd done a song on GH1 that wasn't on easy...

I managed to pass Ace of Spades and another hard song from that set list on Hard. I was quite pleased with myself.

Yakob

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #84 on: 07 Jan 2007, 02:35 »

"Don't wear your guitar above your waist. You're not in The Beatles"

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
« Reply #85 on: 08 Jan 2007, 03:56 »

"Sooner or later, you should probably consider buying yourself a real guitar." xD

kokeyjoe

« Reply #86 on: 10 Jan 2007, 17:38 »

The worst is when you get that screen... and you already own several real guitars.  You just kinda feel like a loser all of a sudden.  :(

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
« Reply #87 on: 11 Jan 2007, 04:30 »

Alright, this is starting to piss me off.

I've got one more song to pass on expert to beat the game: Bark at the Moon.  I CAN'T BEAT IT.

Anything that makes it easier for you guys?

kokeyjoe

« Reply #88 on: 11 Jan 2007, 17:37 »

I spent about three weeks working on it and failing at 98% EVERY time.  The end of the song "meedly meedlies" just killed me every time.  Then one day, I just picked up my guitar controller out of nowhere, with the added pressure of my girlfriend watching me, and said I AM GOING TO DEFEAT OZZY.  So I did.

Only thing I can recommend, and this is how I was finally able to beat Freebird in GH2 on expert, is to conserve Star Power.  Build it up as much as you can and make sure to NAIL those passages so you have more Star Power than you need... and then only use it when it's the solo and/or the end wankery... the parts where you're in super danger of failing.

I mean, I sound like absolute shite while playing those hard songs, but it's wise use of Star Power that gets me through 'em.

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
« Reply #89 on: 12 Jan 2007, 04:38 »

So, I don't have GH2.

BUT, I did just beat GH1.  I found out the keys to beating Bark At The Moon on Expert:

1) actually play guitar (helps you move around the fret buttons faster, know the neck without looking, etc.)

2) get so excited about being in the process of beating the song that your hand gets all jittery and pretty much moves around the neck for you :lol:

hey, it works :-P

kokeyjoe

« Reply #90 on: 12 Jan 2007, 08:43 »

I like to refer to Number 2 there as... Duende.

dennis

• Lies! Truth!
« Reply #91 on: 12 Jan 2007, 11:12 »

Bark at the Moon was a major pain. I had the same problem as kokeyjoe, I would fail at 98% every time. My breakthrough happened the same way, too. I just beat it one day.

It's basically, save up star power for the hard sections, and don't activate it until you absolutely need it. For me, it was a matter of lasting long enough through the third solo that the star power lasted long enough that I could make it to the end. Star power is distributed in such a way that you *have* to get through one of the solos without using it in order to beat the song.

General tips that I didn't find out until I read the score hero forums:

whammy only does something on sustained star power notes. otherwise, it does not give you any points or anything. just makes whammy sounds.

each star power phrase will fill up your meter a quarter of the way, if you don't whammy at all. whammying on sustained star power notes increases the meter at a fixed rate, no matter how fast you whammy.

you need two star power phrases to be able to activate star power.a full meter of star power lasts 8 measures.

basically, just read this thread at scorehero.

Also, here is the note chart for BatM.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #92 on: 12 Jan 2007, 13:27 »

OK, so they revealed most of the 10 songs that will be on the 360 version that weren't on the PS2. Bad news? My Chemical Romance. Good news? IRON FUCKIN' MAIDEN. And Alice Cooper and Deep Purple. But mostly Iron Maiden.

And I should specify that these are additional songs on the disc, not downloadable stuff. So they haven't said anything beyond the fact that there will be songs made available for download, which is admittedly huge. Here's just hoping they manage to get that controller wireless by March.

kokeyjoe

« Reply #93 on: 12 Jan 2007, 18:03 »

They finally got Maiden? That's great news!  I hope it's "The Trooper" like they've always wanted to get.  That first lead melody line would be so fun to play.

Although, if I had my choice, I'd like to try "Sign of the Cross" just once in Guitar Hero format.  It's so epic, I'd seriously pitch a tent.  Okay, maybe not seriously, but comically.

I wonder what Deep Purple song they got.  "Highway Star," most likely.  But "Burn" would be freaking fantastic.  And for Alice... it's probably "I'm Eighteen."

dennis

• Lies! Truth!
« Reply #94 on: 12 Jan 2007, 18:05 »

I can get 46% on Jordan on Expert.

Oh crap. I may have to get a 360 sooner than expected.

dennis

• Lies! Truth!
« Reply #95 on: 12 Jan 2007, 18:07 »

From Gamespot:

In addition to all the tracks from the PlayStation 2 version of Guitar Hero II, GHII for the Xbox 360 will include 10 new songs not seen in the PS2 game. While we don't know the full list yet, Red Octane has announced five of the new songs that will be in the game:

Pearl Jam -- "Life Wasted"
Rick Derringer -- "Rock and Roll Hoochie Koo"
My Chemical Romance -- "Dead!"
Deep Purple -- "Hush"
Alice Cooper -- "Billion Dollar Baby"

And according to one of the videos, they also got "Possum Kingdom" by the Toadies, which is one of my favorite songs ever.

Also "Salvation" by Rancid.
« Last Edit: 12 Jan 2007, 18:19 by dennis »

kokeyjoe

« Reply #96 on: 12 Jan 2007, 18:11 »

Hush?!? That's awfully surprising.  A song from freaking 1968 or whatever. Crazy.

Also... Billion Dollar Babies? That would be SO FUN on bass.  When I was 15, that was, like, one of my favorite basslines.  I was amazed at how fast the dude played on the one part... and then I was not so amazed when I could do it myself, hehe.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #97 on: 13 Jan 2007, 05:25 »

The Iron Maiden song is in fact, 'The Trooper'. Apart from that, Dennis's list is all that they have revealed. They're still keeping two songs secret, as well as what songs will be available for download and when.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up