THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 05:19
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Comics (web and otherwise) that must die  (Read 25130 times)

bucky_2300

• Furry furrier
Comics (web and otherwise) that must die
« on: 31 Jul 2006, 20:17 »

#1 - Family Circus
#2 - Blondie
#3 - Rex Morgan, M.D.
#4 - Least I Could Do

(purely opinion)

Add yours.
Click Here!

Valrus

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • moo hoo ha ha
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jul 2006, 20:23 »

Fred Bassett. Ugh. Painfully unfunny.
Quote from: Johnny C
Whatever you give up for Lent, it better not be your day job.

Night Rocker

« Reply #2 on: 31 Jul 2006, 20:46 »

Family Circus MUST ROT IN HELL!

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: 31 Jul 2006, 21:23 »

Cathy
Mr. Bofo

akd

« Reply #4 on: 01 Aug 2006, 04:06 »

What's wrong with Least I Could Do?

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #5 on: 01 Aug 2006, 10:17 »

For Better or For Worse, Family Circus, and Garfield should all go away from our world and newspapers.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

Luke

« Reply #6 on: 01 Aug 2006, 10:44 »

Moose Miller and everything else associated with Bob Weber needs to spontaneously combust.

EVERYTHING.

logan

« Reply #7 on: 01 Aug 2006, 11:49 »

bucky_2300

• Furry furrier
« Reply #8 on: 01 Aug 2006, 12:40 »

^ Yes. Kill it now. Three-panel soap operas suck.

Quote from: akd
What's wrong with Least I Could Do?

It's the Garfield of webcomics now.

"Oh, hey, look! Rayne is going to try to have sex with a hot lady! Oh, wow, wacky hijinks! And he ends up having sex with her!"

"Look! A completely outrageous and wacky plotline involving Rayne acting like a superhero/Aragorn/an astronaut and having sex in the end!"
Click Here!

Alegis

« Reply #9 on: 01 Aug 2006, 14:37 »

kill garfield, family circus

Justin

« Reply #10 on: 01 Aug 2006, 15:23 »

family circus is so fun to make fun of though

cathy is just horrible

GuitarJunkie

« Reply #11 on: 01 Aug 2006, 16:16 »

Quote from: Valrus

I agree. It's not even a comic, it's like a drawn representation of completely uninteresting events in the day of a completely uninteresting dog.

Alchemist

« Reply #12 on: 01 Aug 2006, 22:19 »

B.C.  (Any and all Hart strips must die.)

Marvin.  (It's Garfield in a poopy diaper.)

Gasoline Alley.  (ZOMGDIAFPLZKTHXBY)

Soap comics (The Phantom, Prince Valiant, Rex Morgan, Mary Worth, etc.  We've grown past it, people.)

Funky Winkerbean.  (This one's actually on the fence.  With a little more sass and a little less of the taking-itself-so-damn-seriously, it could be enjoyable.)

Frank and Ernest.

Marmaduke.

Mother Goose & Grimm.  (This one saddens me.  I remember waaay back when it was funny, and I watched it slip into the realm of *bleh* within two years of its inception.)

Hagar the Horrible.  (NOT FUNNY ANY MORE.  Was it ever?  I don't think anyone remembers.)

Captain Vincible.  (See Hagar.)

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #13 on: 01 Aug 2006, 22:52 »

Quote from: GuitarJunkie

I agree. It's not even a comic, it's like a drawn representation of completely uninteresting events in the day of a completely uninteresting dog.

Dudes, it's modern art, or something.

It's also maybe twice elicited a very slight smile out of me, which is more than, for example, the other 6 comic strips in the Daily Mail have ever done. All those need to go.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #14 on: 02 Aug 2006, 06:31 »

marmaduke. the dinette set. garfield (though i used to love it, it's gotten really boring). mary worth should die. family circus isn't in my newspaper, but i don't like it anyways. and i think it's time that they killed dennis the menace. i hate that comic.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

strangebear

« Reply #15 on: 02 Aug 2006, 06:42 »

I like Hagar the Horrible ... but I suppose someone has to!

Buzzgit

« Reply #16 on: 02 Aug 2006, 08:48 »

I can’t see why Family Circus is still in papers. If God exists it must be his favorite comic and that’s the only reason its still around.

Night Rocker

« Reply #17 on: 02 Aug 2006, 15:12 »

i dont like to read The Family Circuss!! have them grow up and get fucked by life!   and Garfield....may your once funny soul rest in piece

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #18 on: 02 Aug 2006, 17:49 »

You guys, the thing with almost everything you are suggesting (except say, LICD) is kind of like saying "Good Charlotte are an awful band."  They are soft targets.  Garfield, Family Circus and Fred Bassett being awful is self-evident.

That said, I am not really sure I like LICD.  The guy who draws it is a cool guy, but it's just not really for me.  I don't think it's in my "must die" category though.

One that is in my "must die" category is Chugworth Academy.  The art is pretty good, but the everything else is absolutely fucking horrible.

logan

« Reply #19 on: 03 Aug 2006, 10:37 »

"Just because something sucks, doesn't mean you can't enjoy it."

OK, I'll agree that there are a lot of awful strips out there, but I don't think we should get rid of all of them. Soap opera strips can be so boring, but the subtext is awesome. Check out The Comics Curmudgeon, he talks about a bunch of newspaper comics, and makes you enjoy (and hate) them more.

Justin

« Reply #20 on: 03 Aug 2006, 14:01 »

Quote from: est
One that is in my "must die" category is Chugworth Academy.  The art is pretty good, but the everything else is absolutely fucking horrible.

seconded

akd

« Reply #21 on: 03 Aug 2006, 14:25 »

I still like LICD, but I think I preferred it before Lars took over

Fleagle

« Reply #22 on: 03 Aug 2006, 17:11 »

If we got rid of all the bad newspaper comics, then Comics Curmudgeon wouldn't have any material. Josh and his loyal readers love to make fun of the funny pages.

CarbonatedWeasel

« Reply #23 on: 03 Aug 2006, 22:43 »

Yeah, a few comics that dont deserve existance are:
Dennis the Menace.
Marmaduke.
Family Circus.
Garfield USED to be funny. Now its boring.
The Lockhorns
Doonsbury
and Between Friends.

strangebear

« Reply #24 on: 04 Aug 2006, 06:43 »

For all haters of the terrible Marmaduke ... check this out:
http://www.drunkduck.com/The_Panel_Project/index.php?p=58290

Its only what we've dreamed about for years!

TrueNeutral

« Reply #25 on: 04 Aug 2006, 06:53 »

Garfield needs to get back to it's roots.

Meaning it needs to stop being the same joke every goddamn day.

EDIT: Wow, it actually did for like a full week.

GamerMunkie

« Reply #26 on: 04 Aug 2006, 07:09 »

Ginger Meggs
Snake...

Two *detestabily* unfunny comics...

GuitarJunkie

« Reply #27 on: 04 Aug 2006, 08:29 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
Quote from: GuitarJunkie

Dudes, it's modern art, or something.

It's also maybe twice elicited a very slight smile out of me, which is more than, for example, the other 6 comic strips in the Daily Mail have ever done. All those need to go.

We could just save a lot of hassle and get rid of the Daily Mail.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #28 on: 04 Aug 2006, 08:40 »

Quote from: strangebear
For all haters of the terrible Marmaduke ... check this out:
http://www.drunkduck.com/The_Panel_Project/index.php?p=58290

Its only what we've dreamed about for years!

heh heh heh. that makes it a WHOLE lot better. ^_^
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Kirbo

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
    • http://www.kirbo.thejefffiles.com
« Reply #29 on: 08 Aug 2006, 11:36 »

To be fair to Family Circus...it's not aimed at us, at all. It's for young kids (you know...who should read the funny pages). It's meant to be safe, bland humour. Granted it's not "funny", but it doesn't hurt us.

Garfield is similar, only it used to be funny. However the recent 'date' storyline was damned good. Since when does Garfield have continuity?

Comics that must die?

Honestly, I don't believe in such a thing. I like Least I Could Do, it's not serious or realistic, but it's fun, well drawn, and always on-time. You don't like it, that's fine, I can see why you wouldn't, but don't call for it's death, just don't have it in your bookmarks.
"Are you really the messiah?
Yes I am." - Gord Downie

http://www.kirbo.thejefffiles.com/twisb.html

Action_franky

bucky_2300

• Furry furrier
« Reply #31 on: 08 Aug 2006, 20:43 »

Quote from: Kirbo
To be fair to Family Circus...it's not aimed at us, at all. It's for young kids (you know...who should read the funny pages). It's meant to be safe, bland humour. Granted it's not "funny", but it doesn't hurt us.

Garfield is similar, only it used to be funny. However the recent 'date' storyline was damned good. Since when does Garfield have continuity?

Comics that must die?

Honestly, I don't believe in such a thing. I like Least I Could Do, it's not serious or realistic, but it's fun, well drawn, and always on-time. You don't like it, that's fine, I can see why you wouldn't, but don't call for it's death, just don't have it in your bookmarks.

This ain't about being reasonable and measured, this is about being opinionated and hateful towards the hard work of others (or their writing teams, in Garfield's case.)
Click Here!

Kirbo

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
    • http://www.kirbo.thejefffiles.com
« Reply #32 on: 08 Aug 2006, 20:51 »

Quote from: bucky_2300
This ain't about being reasonable and measured, this is about being opinionated and hateful towards the hard work of others (or their writing teams, in Garfield's case.)

No, you suck!

I guess I'm taking this too seriously, I just find it harsh to call for a comics death.
"Are you really the messiah?
Yes I am." - Gord Downie

http://www.kirbo.thejefffiles.com/twisb.html

Action_franky

« Reply #33 on: 08 Aug 2006, 22:34 »

i don't understand how a abstract construct such as a comic can die in any literal sense of the word considering they are not alive to begin with.

in short: " NO noob You Shut up!!1!! "

bucky_2300

• Furry furrier
« Reply #34 on: 09 Aug 2006, 20:06 »

In any case, I am suggesting that people go all Fahrenheit 451 on certain comics. And I'm not referring to the trendy abortions or wall-sized TVs.
Click Here!

Nettle

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #35 on: 09 Aug 2006, 21:11 »

I actually like For Better or  Worse... it's cool how i've practically grown up with the characters. When I was little, they were still little kids!
www.notebookinhand.com -Forum for creative people.

www.maidmarianandhermerrymen.co.uk - Remember Maid Marian And Her Merry Men? Join the fanforum!
http://fluffybricks.blogspot.com You might not believe your eyes!

Sixleaf

« Reply #36 on: 14 Aug 2006, 11:54 »

Either newspaper comics have gone seriously downhill since I was a kid, or I just don't laught at everything anymore.  Except for Get Fuzzy.  It's always funny.

Luke

« Reply #37 on: 14 Aug 2006, 14:05 »

Get Fuzzy is in our newspaper only on Sundays, but I get it in my e-mail (comics.com) every weekday. It's just plain funny.

I just wish in general that the newspapers would stop wasting so much paper and ink on comics that aren't funny.

Mnementh

« Reply #38 on: 14 Aug 2006, 15:14 »

Mallard Filmore and BC.

Aphi

« Reply #39 on: 23 Aug 2006, 08:26 »

I'm going to get rather a LOT of flak for this...

If only PVP online and its tyrannical maker could die in the tarpits somewhere!

Oh, and, uh, For Better or For Worse, totally agreed.

Garcin

« Reply #40 on: 23 Aug 2006, 09:51 »

Some of you may not be thinking this all the way through.  If it weren't for comics like Megatokyo, some of the Megatokyo forum-dwellers might be here . . . .

Anyway . . . does anyone actually read newspaper comics anymore?  I mean, in my mind that not so much bad as completely irrelevant.

mysteriousbriefcase

« Reply #41 on: 23 Aug 2006, 11:37 »

Quote from: Night Rocker
Family Circus MUST ROT IN HELL!

to quote nothing nice to say, is it supposed to piss you off?

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #42 on: 24 Aug 2006, 08:57 »

Quote from: Moiche

Anyway . . . does anyone actually read newspaper comics anymore?  I mean, in my mind that not so much bad as completely irrelevant.

If no one bought newspapers, they would have disappeared a LONG time ago. And most of the people who buy papers turn to the comics section too.

Of course, most of the people who read the newspaper "funnies" don't even know webcomics exist. They may not even know there are web-based versions of the comics in the paper.
The Vanguard - superhero space opera

Sean C

« Reply #43 on: 24 Aug 2006, 14:51 »

Quote from: Aphi
I'm going to get rather a LOT of flak for this...

If only PVP online and its tyrannical maker could die in the tarpits somewhere!

Oh, and, uh, For Better or For Worse, totally agreed.

He's really not tyrannical - just emotionally charged. PvP isn't a bad strip either, and Kurtz has been really trying to make it better and has even admitted he had been giving one character a raw deal. I'm not flaming, I just can't get on board with that idea.

Garcin

« Reply #44 on: 24 Aug 2006, 15:07 »

I used to find PVP mildly entertaining.  I can't now think of the last time it was even that (maybe the whole Joss Whedon is our master now thing?)  I understand that Kurtz is successful at what he does, and apparently he just picked up some more awards, so someone out there in this grand internet of our must enjoy it.  I'm fairly confident that their senses of humor aren't synched with mine though.  And the medieval bits with the bard . . . dear me are those ever bad.  I don't even get what the comedic intent is.   I find it on a par with newspaper comics in terms of non-funniness.

But more importantly, I find Kurtz's take on female/male relationships and gender roles anti-deluvian.  I went over the last 20 or so over the weekend, and this latest plot arc is out of a bad 80's sitcom (redundant, yes I know).  I'm all for a good fart joke, but good is the operative word.  "I don't think it's the horse" does not a punch line make for the above 12 crowd.

Now fruit-fucker juicing zombies, The Boy's IQ dropping, librarian chicks quipping in iambic pentameter, Snake slitting Mario's throat, dinosaurs talking about Kant, Roast Beef driving a man to a heart attack by commenting on his thighs <stops>, a small girl being made to cry to test the durability of tissue, a gay black robot bent on world domination, a pink boneless cat being used as a scarf -- these things are funny.  And if you don't think so you're clearly wrong.

Quote from: themacnut
If no one bought newspapers, they would have disappeared a LONG time ago. And most of the people who buy papers turn to the comics section too.

Didn't mean to suggest that paper newspapers are irrelevant, just that the newspaper funny sections are.  And by irrelevant I don't mean unpopular -- I mean irrelevant to us, the people who enjoyed QC enough to bother posting in the forum.  I honestly don't know anyone in my generation who reads that shit.  What with the standards of most family newspapers and the desire to reach all niches and all generations that characterize most newspapers, you're pretty much always going to have shit.  I mean, if they published Achewood in the New York Times, that would be awesome, I'd look forward to it every morning -- but they never will.  I don't think 99% of the NYT readership would appreciate Pat's Id's cock hanging out of a pair of chaps.  It's like that old latin maxim "vox populi, vox poopie."

Taigan

• Plantmonster
« Reply #45 on: 25 Aug 2006, 18:20 »

I agree with those gentle souls who claim that no comic, no matter how saccarine or stale, truly deserves death...  with one exception.

Fred Basset!  The years I lived in Minnesota it ran in the local paper and was incredible!  It was like a humor black hole.   I swear its only purpose is to make the other strips seem funnier.

There are many strips (Mallard Fillmore, Family Circus, B.C.) that I don't like, but I can see that they have their target audiences.  But seriously, who finds FB funny?  I can't imagine.

Praeserpium Machinarum

« Reply #46 on: 26 Aug 2006, 01:11 »

This is some comics that I flat-out dislike:

Penny Arcade(I hate it, I really do)
in other words gamer comics
most comics involving a specific subculture
comics about lesbianism
Ziggy(boredom)
comics involving furries
Fred Bassett(called Freddy around here, still that is dire)
Achewood(I just can't get into it)

In other words I don't like most online comics.

Luke

« Reply #47 on: 26 Aug 2006, 12:50 »

Phillipe is standing on it.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #48 on: 26 Aug 2006, 15:09 »

This thread is kind of dumb. Why bother talking about stuff you don't like? All you're doing is giving work you dislike free publicity.

So instead I will say nice things about some comics mentioned here!

Achewood is the best webcomic out there right now. If you don't "get" it, you're missing out.

I used to be bugged by some aspects of PvP but I lightened up and have been enjoying it a lot more over the past year or so. Scott continues to do some of the subtlest character development you'll find anywhere in webcomics. As for Kurtz himself, I've never met the man so I can't make any judgement calls. He's very passionate about his opinions on the interweb, which is pretty admirable when you've got so many people out to demonize you.

Penny Arcade and VG cats are hysterical.

OverCompensating is 100% true.

MegaTokyo is a little slow as a webcomic but it works AMAZINGLY well as a printed book where you can read 150 pages in 15 minutes. Print is where Fred Gallagher's work belongs.

Get Fuzzy is the only newspaper comic strip worth reading anymore. Newspaper comics are a dead media. Phonographs versus compact discs.

For Better or For Worse gets points for staying power. I always found it hideously bland, but at least shit happens in that strip. Okay so I guess that is kind of a backhanded compliment, but whatever. I seriously doubt Lynn Johnston (sic?) cares about my opinion.

Also, it's disingenuous to use "[distilled version of a webcomic's premise]!" as a criticism. You can do that with ANY comic, whether you like it or not.

QC, for instance: Oh look, Marten's acting sheepish about something! I bet Faye will say something snarky! OH SHIT A HUMOROUS ANALOGY IN PANEL FOUR LOL
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

bucky_2300

• Furry furrier
« Reply #49 on: 28 Aug 2006, 10:39 »

^ Slice.

Although I see your point, I like to have fun with some unbridled snarkiness now and then, and that is what this thread is for. Do I actually want to see Garfield and The Family Circus removed from newspapers,bookstores, and the internet?

Honestly, I don't give a crap. I don't even get the newspaper in my town because it's a right-wing rag, so my exposure to newspaper cartoons (and the editorial page - thank God) is extremely low. If I want to read a cartoon that appears/appeared in a newspaper, I buy the books. My extensive Calvin and Hobbes and Get Fuzzy collections will speak to that.

This thread was intended to be a harmless thread for people to unleash over-the-top vents in (see almost all posts on Fred Bassett) rather than a serious listing of comics that I want removed from my - and everyone else's - sight immediately.

Also, I apologize for being disingenuous on LICD. You're right that it can be done with anything, and that it's an unfair shot to take.

ps - For Better or for Worse deserves death purely for making me cry as a young boy when the first dog died. I wanted a comic, not dead-dog induced depression for the rest of the day.
Click Here!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up