THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 11:51
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Comics (web and otherwise) that must die  (Read 24935 times)

rage

Comics (web and otherwise) that must die
« Reply #50 on: 16 Sep 2006, 01:41 »

I could do without Goats.

It climaxed around the time of the war with JelloCorp.

Now it's just... meh.

Jayfarer

« Reply #51 on: 20 Sep 2006, 02:52 »

Fucking SALLY FORTH.

Everyone likes to rag on the obviously bad strips like Marmaduke and Family Circus, but Sally Forth is just as terrible as either of those.  It's a bad sitcom in comic strip form.

67thavenue

« Reply #52 on: 21 Sep 2006, 11:18 »

uhhh, I'm actually trying to get my strip INTO the papers...

But as for strips I don't like none more: I recently stopped reading Sinfest...  I don't know what it is, I don't like it anymore.  I find it boring and it was almost a chore to click on the bloody bookmark.

With any luck I'll find more strips to read that have a 'staying' power.  Or maybe I'm just too picky?  Meh.

-Jamie
67th Avenue

Patatat

Re: Comics (web and otherwise) that must die
« Reply #53 on: 29 Sep 2006, 23:55 »

This is some comics that I flat-out dislike:

most comics involving a specific subculture

In other words I don't like most online comics.

So you want QC to go bye-bye?

dancarter

• Curry sauce
    • http://dancarter.deviantart.com
« Reply #54 on: 30 Sep 2006, 20:14 »

I gave up on mewspaper comics after Liberty Meadows was shit canned for being too risque.  Please.  What a waste of a funny, funny strip.  I checked back in when my paper started reprinting the Peanuts strips from the sixties but they removed those as well in favour of another bad strip by the guy who does the equally bad Crankshaft.  So add Crankshaft and Funky Winterbean to that list of strips to die.

Mr. Minipax

« Reply #55 on: 01 Oct 2006, 20:14 »

CAD.

CAD must die.

Tim Buckley is the highest degree of asshole, and it's really just not funny any more. It's sad to see a comic degenerate into thin plots that seem excuses for bad punchlines, but when it happens, it's much better to throw in the towel than it is to prolong the misery.

Freezey

« Reply #56 on: 01 Oct 2006, 21:26 »

Family Circus should keep on going for one reason: in cases of extreme boredom, you can erase the text from the comics and replace them with something perverted/violent/etc.

Infact, Family Circus should just be printed without text- it'd save everyone time.

As for Garfield, just erase all of Garfield's thought bubbles. Example:

yeah.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #57 on: 02 Oct 2006, 14:44 »

God damn I love Garfield without cat-dialogue in it.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

proman

« Reply #58 on: 17 Oct 2006, 20:48 »

Mallard Fillmore. Not because i disagree with the politics (everybody has a right to express their views) but because all it is is "goddamn liberal media" over and over. Nor can i see why ANYBODY finds it funny.

SealPoet

« Reply #59 on: 21 Oct 2006, 06:14 »

Mallard Fillmore.  I can put up with the politics from the opposite end of the spectrum (eg. Prickly city)  But Mallard Fillmore is hateful.  Unfunny/unkind/mean.

Curtis is often unkind as well.

Family Circus.

I can't really say much about Fred Bassett, but I do know something about one joke / one animal 'toons.  (Maybe SealPoet must die... but not yet.)

I can't read Sylvia.  I like the humor, but I literally cannot read it: too much work to decipher the handwriting.

Then there's that strip about an anthropomorphic yet misanthropic cat, who's hapless owner couldn't get a date and who terrorizes the dog... you know who I mean.

Oh, sorry, that's Get Fuzzy.

TrueNeutral

« Reply #60 on: 24 Oct 2006, 02:00 »

Tim Buckley is the highest degree of asshole,

Tim Buckley is an asshole? He seems like a pretty nice guy to me. Besides, "I hate the guy who makes it" seems like a pretty shitty reason not to like their work.

Anyway, I don't really hate any webcomics, but if I come across one more webcomic about transgenderism I think I might have a nervous breakdown. I thought El Goonish Shive and Misfile were enough of that. Hear that, The Wotch? You too, Abstract Gender? We don't need you. And you're not an exception, Discordia!

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #61 on: 25 Oct 2006, 07:11 »

That's the problem with starting a webcomic today-it's damn near impossible to come up with a truly original idea-especially if you're "inspired" by other webcomics. And if you somehow do come up with something truly original, you risk it being so different that no-one can relate to it and you can't get any readers.

Of course it could also be a runaway hit because it's so different, but you might as well flip a coin to figure out which it'll turn it to be.
« Last Edit: 25 Oct 2006, 07:13 by themacnut »
The Vanguard - superhero space opera

TrueNeutral

« Reply #62 on: 25 Oct 2006, 16:08 »

It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't deal with the same subject in the same manner.

TheLanyard

« Reply #63 on: 25 Oct 2006, 23:43 »

Right.  I don't mind so much if the overall concept of a comic is similar to others as long as they don't all do the same jokes.  I'm personally tired of comics that just involve random killing or a cast of random animals that talk.  It's like they tried to make the shell of the comic appear different but most of those all use the same jokes.

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
« Reply #64 on: 27 Oct 2006, 04:44 »

i think what we need to get rid of is whoever created the CSI graphic novels
and my ears are wearing head phones
they do play my favorite songs
not music i'm told to like
but the songs that make me dance along

porkypine

« Reply #65 on: 27 Oct 2006, 09:41 »

Rose Is Rose. God, death by saccharin.

I like For Better or for Worse. It's unrealistically innocent, but sometimes that's fine with me. Anyway the cartoonist plans to retire the strip next year so I'm interested to see what she comes up with for a finale.

ImRonBurgundy?

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "That's all," he added.
« Reply #66 on: 17 Nov 2006, 05:11 »

Marmaduke would be unbearable if I didn't have Joe Mathlete around to explain it.

P.S.- Removing Garfield entirely is also funny.
You just came back to shit in my heart, didn't you Ryan?

Sporky

« Reply #67 on: 19 Nov 2006, 05:23 »

I concur. Garfield is riotous without Garfield's speech bubbles.

I should know because I've made a shitload of those comics myself.

Maybe I'll post some of them. Oh wait. No. I lost all of them in the T35 crash.

Well, they were moderately funny.

camelpimp

« Reply #68 on: 30 Nov 2006, 08:43 »

I think Starslip Crisis is severly overrated, and I don't read it anymore. I have the feeling I may be alone on this.

To digress slightly (whoo!) "niche" comics were mentioned earlier. I have to concur. Now, QC works because you can "get" it without being into indie. It's more about the characters. Now, if you're not into punk, you won't get Nothing Nice to Say. I think the best comics are never exculsively about a "niche." Which is I think why I can't get into Penny Arcade. I acknowledge that it's quality work, but it just leaves me cold.

ThePQ4

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #69 on: 30 Nov 2006, 09:42 »

Heh. Garfeild w/out Garfield -is- funny...
As for other comics though, I only read the following: Foxtrot, Pearls Before Swine, Get Fuzzy, Soup 2 Nutz (I now only read it hoping to see more Rosemary Santollni!), and Over the Hedge. I also read Ripleys Belive It Or Not, but that's trivia and not actuall meant to be funny...
The one comic that I think -must- die... PRINCE VALLIANT! I have never read this comic, you probably may never have heard of this comic, because I think my sunday paper is the only paper in the entire USA that prints it...but oh my god...it must die. Way to much detail, way to serious a storyline for a Sunday morning. That and Opus (it annoys me, even if Opus himself is a cutie).

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #70 on: 07 Jan 2007, 15:28 »

Fred Basset!  The years I lived in Minnesota it ran in the local paper and was incredible!  It was like a humor black hole.   I swear its only purpose is to make the other strips seem funnier.

I find it strange that Fred Basset is actually put out in the US. It's either some meta-surreal joke that no one gets, and thus the best comic strip ever, or its designed by government scientists to sedate us. Has anyone ever tried reading Fred Basset when they're really high? I wonder what the results would be...
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #71 on: 10 Jan 2007, 20:10 »

Get Fuzzy is the only newspaper comic strip worth reading anymore. Newspaper comics are a dead media. Phonographs versus compact discs.

If..., The Pain and every strip printed in Private Eye (Especially It's Grim Up North London, Scenes You Seldom See and Young British Artists) disagree with you. If... and The Pain are more political/current affairs cartoons of course (though If... is definitely a comic strip, with story arcs and whatnot), which I suppose is a whole different thing, and a much more thriving field that the internet has yet to seriously touch on (can't think right now of anything online that can match up to Nature Notes or Giles).
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

FoolOnTheHill

• Plantmonster
  • Oh shit, she really WOULD kill me.
    • Occult Anonymous
« Reply #72 on: 22 Jan 2007, 02:43 »

Comic I've been enjoying lately is "Pearls Before Swine", anyone else seen it, it's pretty cool  8-)
"At least I still have the warantee, right?"
"HAHAHAHA! Oh man, you are so fucked."

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #73 on: 26 Jan 2007, 09:48 »

God, I guess this is the closest any discussion will get to considering Family Circus as anything close to entertainment, so here it is.
http://www.losanjealous.com/nfc/perm.php?c=27&q=103
Please, click it if you like Nietzsche as much as you hate Family circus

ekmesnz

• Emoticontraindication
  • Sprung out fully formed, knock-kneed and upright.
« Reply #74 on: 29 Jan 2007, 20:18 »

I still like LICD, but I think I preferred it before Lars took over

Oh man, Lar Desouza was the best thing that ever happened to LICD. At best, the previous artists were extremely unimaginative.

ImRonBurgundy?

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "That's all," he added.
« Reply #75 on: 01 Feb 2007, 08:32 »

This thread seems like good enough a place as any to dump some dialogue-less Garfield.

You just came back to shit in my heart, didn't you Ryan?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up