THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 06:18
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Guid To Goth  (Read 2846 times)

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
A Guid To Goth
« on: 12 Aug 2006, 09:00 »

FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
A Guid To Goth
« Reply #1 on: 12 Aug 2006, 09:29 »

Pretty good list, actually.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
A Guid To Goth
« Reply #2 on: 12 Aug 2006, 12:54 »

*Awoooooooga Awoooooooooga* We have a major outbreak of sneering pretension and rampant name-dropping in aisle 6. Send back-up!
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
A Guid To Goth
« Reply #3 on: 12 Aug 2006, 14:36 »

Awwwoooga is possibly my favorite new ASCII sound effect
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
A Guid To Goth
« Reply #4 on: 12 Aug 2006, 17:05 »

I knew this thread would be awsome.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Rizzo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
A Guid To Goth
« Reply #5 on: 13 Aug 2006, 01:04 »

Seems like a pretty reasonable description of what goth began as and what goth was. Lacking in what goth is/has become.
I'm pretty sure it's not just NZ where there's a huge merger between the goth and industrial scenes to the point that they're one and the same. They could have easily written about that. How goth influenced industrial and how industrial influenced goth etc etc.

I give it 7/10.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

Bassist159

A Guid To Goth
« Reply #6 on: 13 Aug 2006, 15:26 »

For the most part, Goth and Industrial seem to occupy the same scenes everywhere. The only place I can think of where they don't is (from what I'm told by reputable sources) New York, where both scene's ego's have pushed eachother aside.

And yeah. It needed more, later goths. Most those guides at least go, "Um... oh yeah, goth still exists, blah blah blah Manson's not a goth blah blah blah Bella Morte and Andorid lust blah blah blah a Cruxshadows is fine too blah blah blah Darkwave uber alles." or something to that effect.

Rizzo, icon love.

Rizzo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
A Guid To Goth
« Reply #7 on: 13 Aug 2006, 22:05 »

Unf unf?
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
A Guid To Goth
« Reply #8 on: 14 Aug 2006, 00:12 »

Quote from: Bassist159

And yeah. It needed more, later goths. Most those guides at least go, "Um... oh yeah, goth still exists, blah blah blah Manson's not a goth blah blah blah Bella Morte and Andorid lust blah blah blah a Cruxshadows is fine too blah blah blah Darkwave uber alles." or something to that effect.

They ragged on Nosferatu and London After Midnight at one point I think, pretty much showing that these folks are either not goths, or that they're elders of terrifying potency, both of which could explain the complete ignoring of Industrial; eldergoths sneer at anything produced after 1985, and music journalists ignore it because it's in a completely different continuum that doesn't influence any of the other bands they consider important. Judging by the context and perspective though, I'd put most if not all of the writers as somewhat savvy non-goths. I'm mainly going here by the constant name-dropping and the almost comical observation of the most common 'rules of goth', especially the 'never use the word goth' one. Signs to me that these people have eyebrows, if you know what I mean. Also, as previously noted, they seem almost entirely concerned with goth as something that has influence on and was influenced by other strands of particularly underground and indie music. This is after all stylus. Newer bands probably don't get a mention because goth is now pretty much an entirely self-contained scene with little to no impact on any other genre except the general industrial and post-industrial milieu and the odd foray into metal, areas of music which such people don't give a flying shit about anyway.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Bassist159

A Guid To Goth
« Reply #9 on: 14 Aug 2006, 09:50 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
Quote from: Bassist159

They ragged on Nosferatu and London After Midnight at one point I think, pretty much showing that these folks are either not goths, or that they're elders of terrifying potency, both of which could explain the complete ignoring of Industrial; eldergoths sneer at anything produced after 1985, and music journalists ignore it because it's in a completely different continuum that doesn't influence any of the other bands they consider important. Judging by the context and perspective though, I'd put most if not all of the writers as somewhat savvy non-goths. I'm mainly going here by the constant name-dropping and the almost comical observation of the most common 'rules of goth', especially the 'never use the word goth' one. Signs to me that these people have eyebrows, if you know what I mean. Also, as previously noted, they seem almost entirely concerned with goth as something that has influence on and was influenced by other strands of particularly underground and indie music. This is after all stylus. Newer bands probably don't get a mention because goth is now pretty much an entirely self-contained scene with little to no impact on any other genre except the general industrial and post-industrial milieu and the odd foray into metal, areas of music which such people don't give a flying shit about anyway.
Discussion over. This man wins.
Pages: [1]   Go Up