THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 18:00
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it a waste?  (Read 13594 times)

elcapitan

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
Is it a waste?
« Reply #50 on: 08 Aug 2006, 06:31 »

Quote from: Bunnyman
99% of released music is crap (+/- a few points).  What this leaves us with is massive backrooms and clearance sections chock-full of unlistened 12", CDs, and casettes.  This is the raw material that Hip-Hop and Electronic producers meticulously deconstruct to create new, fresh music.

And this pattern will continue.  There will always be awful passing-fad one-album bands to fill the coffers, and cerebral hop/electronic will never reach the critical mass to exhaust this resource, as they lack more than a fleeting mass appeal by definition.

One of the most irritatingly recurrent opinions I hear among people who don't know the genre is that "hip-hop is other people's music, recycled." Certainly, sampling is a common technique that can be used to great effect - but there is just so much more to hip-hop than that.

And as for electronic music "deconstructing" other released music, well, that is just so much tripe. It's unfortunate that much of the electronic music people here is irritating cheesy-covers shit like Groove Coverage, but that doesn't give a good representation. New electronic stuff can be absolutely at the frontiers of production - most of the knob-twiddles and effects that you'll hear used to tweak tunes in ProTools were pioneered by electronic producers twenty, thirty years ago.

Frankly, at the moment most mainstream music seems more likely to feed off these genres (particularly hip-hop, and its retarded step-cousin, modern RnB) than the other way around.

The Eyeball Kid

Is it a waste?
« Reply #51 on: 08 Aug 2006, 06:35 »

What he said.
I've come to terms with the fact that i'm kinda living in a musical ghetto, like somebody who listened to swing and big band music in the 60s. The important developments are in genres i'm not into, but they must be happening 'cause thats how music works.
Eventually it filters down into indie pop with the whole 'indietronica' thing, which is an amazingly dumb word

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Is it a waste?
« Reply #52 on: 08 Aug 2006, 07:25 »

Quote from: Storm Rider
But no, I've never heard Drive like Jehu.

Dude, fucking fix this. Go get Yank Crime!
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

TynansAnger

Is it a waste?
« Reply #53 on: 08 Aug 2006, 09:31 »

So far I think you guys are being fairly simplistic about it.

For one, saying all mainstream music is crap is pointless. There wasn't an alternative to mainstream music until the 1980's, and anyone who talks about the Velvet Underground or the Stooges being "indie" forgets that all there releases were on major labels, and despite being massively influential were considered failures in their time.

Furthermore, to say that music isn't good now as it was in the past is immensely short sighted, as they said the same thing in just about every decade of the past 50 years. There are however, some problems with current music that weren't around in the past. Among them include:

The fact that independent music, which started out an economically and socially diverse platform, has become strictly an upper-middle class phenomenon after the alternative explosion of the 90s depicted more mainstream alternative rock bands as working class

The fact that there isn't a major confrontational, spitefully aggresive band, and hasn't been since the Jesus Lizard. There are bands that are filled with aggression, but it's not in the same direct, head-turning way that the Sex Pistols did in the 70s or the Butthole Surfers did in the 80s

The fact that with internet hyping every band of semi-decent quality to beyond oblivious as the "savior of rock and roll" fans demand instant results instead of giving these bands time for their sound to grow. Witness the deterioration of the Strokes, the White Stripes, the Vines, and countless others who have now fallen out of the hipster spotlight simply because they hyped them into mainstream popularity and, as a result, out of their hipster fanbase to begin with

That being said, it's not like each generation before didn't have their problems. People tend to worship the 80s underground as a watershed for musical creativity, but listen to Henry Rollins and Jello Biafra talk about how impoverished and starving they were doing these times, and it hardly seems ideal.

Additionally, late 70s punk, another watershed, had to deal with massive drug addiction, disguisting scheming by label executives, and being spat upon by mainstream society everywhere they went. While that may seem noble now, you try going through it. Note how three of the four Ramones, three out of 5 new york dolls (actually, 4, if you include their original drummer), and countless others such as Sid Vicious, Joe Strummer, and Ian Curtis all died untimely deaths. While not all were due to their activities, none of these legends live to see their 55th birthday.

So listen to music of the past if you want, just admit that that time had plenty of problems. Consequently, if you like contemporary music more, realize the limitations modern music industry has placed on it's artists.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
Is it a waste?
« Reply #54 on: 08 Aug 2006, 12:42 »

Quote from: Kai

Well if you'd fucking fix your DC++, then I could steal it from you!

And Purgatory Afterglow, because Crimson is pretty kickass.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Luke C

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • http://www.john87.com
Is it a waste?
« Reply #55 on: 08 Aug 2006, 12:54 »

The thing is, music WAS better before than it is now. Yes there was crappy bands before but still if you look at the bands which have defined eras it was better before. Of course really bad bands of the past are forgotten so the percentages are skewed but at the moment I see very few good albums being made.

However, last year the only albums I would have bough that came out in 2005 were by System of a Down and Foo Fighters. How poor is that? 3 albums in a year?
"These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert to fleece the people, and now that they have got into a quarrel with themselves, we are called upon to appropriate the people's money to settle the quarrel." Lincoln in 1837

TrueNeutral

Is it a waste?
« Reply #56 on: 08 Aug 2006, 13:01 »

So... that makes 1 good album then?

pinkpiche

• The German Chancellory building
Is it a waste?
« Reply #57 on: 09 Aug 2006, 04:19 »

My thoughts exactly.
"Yeah, they're always biting my shit you know how that goes"

Scytale

Is it a waste?
« Reply #58 on: 09 Aug 2006, 05:54 »

Quote from: Kai

Well if you'd fucking fix your DC++, then I could steal it from you!

And Purgatory Afterglow, because Crimson is pretty kickass.

I don't know how Edge of Sanity found there way into this topic but Purgatory Afterglow is a great album.

regxcore

Is it a waste?
« Reply #59 on: 11 Aug 2006, 10:20 »

Quote from: eternie
We look back on music as if it's better than today because people say it is, but that's not at all true. Okay, there's lots of hip hop-esque crap in the charts but lots of 'indie' bands are getting through too and they're making a big impact. It's not that bad.

Of course I'm speaking for England here.

yea, im pretty sure indie music is going to be the next pop thing.

notice the car commercials out here in the states always have some pop indie band as the bg music for them? gf says its because the people being hired to make these commercials are 20 somethings fresh outta college. they are pretty much going to pave the way in corporate america for indie bands in every commercial movie whatever. its a conspiracy <gasp> dum dum dummm.

MCGB

Is it a waste?
« Reply #60 on: 14 Aug 2006, 14:14 »

While I think it's kinda silly to try and say that an entire period of music is better than another, there's definitely a lot more diverse music nowadays than there used to be.  For each genre of music there was 40 years ago there are probably now 20 different sub-genres of music. Just look at heavy metal which spawned death, thrash, nu, speed and power metal.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up