THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 17 Apr 2024, 18:36
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Might I recommend...  (Read 2443 times)

the man in the moon

Might I recommend...
« on: 07 Sep 2006, 12:56 »

As a lurker more than a poster I don't really have much sway here but I thought some of you might be interested to hear my little brother's band.

They're called Secondmonday and hail from Winchester, England.

Despite the awful name (chosen when they were young and just setting out) they have quite an decent and polished sound which a bit like dinosaurs fighting giant sea creatures...... yeah... I'm not really sure how to classify them. It fits under rock, they are pretty progressive in their sound and how they work but not really proggy at all. I dunno, why don't you have a listen and tell me what it sounds like.

Anyway, they have an album coming out on October 16th and as such have just released a few tracks and a music video.

Hopefully you may like them. You can see the video and hear some samples on an Ecard or hear some full tracks on their (ugh) myspace.

Chris

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
Might I recommend...
« Reply #1 on: 07 Sep 2006, 14:50 »

beh.

exactly the kind of generic, whiney-vocals junk thats all over televisions and radios everywhere right now. theyre obviously good musicians but i wouldnt be able to tell them from dozens of other bands if someone was playing it on their stereo.

not my cup of tea.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
Might I recommend...
« Reply #2 on: 07 Sep 2006, 15:14 »

Their band description claims that

"the experimental ambient noise wonderboys are here"

No. This is not ambient, or noise. And "experimental" only in that they're experimenting with sounding like everyone else. I mean, they're musically competent, but to be candid, that tagline will just sound like delusions of grandeur (or at least total ignorance of music) to anyone who's actually heard ambient or noise bands.

Points for effort but as the War Machine above my pointed out, there's no way in hell I'd be able to tell it was these guys as opposed to another generic MySpace band playing on someone's stereo without having their name on the screen in front of me.

FreshJive787

• Furry furrier
Might I recommend...
« Reply #3 on: 07 Sep 2006, 16:03 »

im tired of the generic 4 piece bands with random splashes of piano in the backround.

byebyepanda

• Emoticontraindication
  • do a barrel roll!
Might I recommend...
« Reply #4 on: 07 Sep 2006, 16:04 »

Good musicians, good sound, but not my kind of taste. Tell your bro to keep it up.

FreshJive787

• Furry furrier
Might I recommend...
« Reply #5 on: 07 Sep 2006, 16:05 »

Edit: didnt mean to post again.

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
Might I recommend...
« Reply #6 on: 07 Sep 2006, 16:22 »

They definitely have talent. But, as the forumites above me have already stated, it's not an original sound. They're generic, which isn't bad, because apparently the mainstream wants more of the same thing they've been hearing for an unreasonably long time, but there's nothing that makes them stand out for me.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly
Pages: [1]   Go Up