THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 16:19
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gang of Four?  (Read 2392 times)

Bassist159

Gang of Four?
« on: 14 Aug 2006, 23:53 »

I was recently given a copy of A Brief History of the Twentieth Century, the Gang of Four best-of. I'm pretty impressed with it, all things considered, though I prefer the first tracks on the CD (which I'm assuming are from earlier in the band's history).

Can someone reccomend a good album to get by them? Maybe something that sounds like earlier Gang of Four? I'd appreciate any suggestions offered - I'm kind of in the dark when it comes to this sort of sound.

TynansAnger

Gang of Four?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Aug 2006, 00:35 »

Without a doubt you need to buy Entertainment!, Gang of Four's first album. It 's one of  the greatest of the post-punk albums, and sort of defined more arty british punk along with Joy Division and later Wire.  Not only were they immensely influential, but Franz Ferdinand has made quite a bit of money directing ripping off this album.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Gang of Four?
« Reply #2 on: 15 Aug 2006, 06:33 »

Yeah, definitely get Entertainment.

I love Gang of Four so much.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
Gang of Four?
« Reply #3 on: 15 Aug 2006, 13:41 »

Get Entertainment

also, since they are often namedropped together, get some Wire, preferably Pink Flag or Chairs Missing
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

TynansAnger

Gang of Four?
« Reply #4 on: 15 Aug 2006, 13:44 »

Actually, get all of Wire's first 3 albums, Pink Flag, Chairs Missing an 154

and if you have cash to blow, buy them all in the 5 cd set that was recently released so you get rare live tracks.

Wire is freaking amazing.

space_oddity

Gang of Four?
« Reply #5 on: 16 Aug 2006, 12:05 »

I've always loved Solid Gold best, but Entertainment! is definitely a worthy choice.
A similarly-veined band is the Fall. Anyone who doesn't own This Nation's Saving Grace already should--it's worth it for "I Am Damo Suzuki" alone.

Bassist159

Gang of Four?
« Reply #6 on: 16 Aug 2006, 12:52 »

Quote from: tommydski
the really great era of the fall is 1979 - 82.

in particular, 'dragnet', 'grotesque (after the gramme)', 'slates' and 'hex enduction hour' are superb as well as a handful of great singles in this period of time.
as long as we are on the subject, it's worth checking our PiL and wire's first few albums.

I have the This is What You Want.... This is What You Get, Metal Box, and First Issue. I'm okay on PiL, I think. As for the other suggestions, I will definately look into those next time at my local music store. Thanks, everyone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up