THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 14:53
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tales of Your Youth  (Read 6928 times)

Firefly

Tales of Your Youth
« on: 24 Nov 2006, 08:13 »

So this discussion topic is what your favourite book(s)/novel(s) were when you were younger?

I love(d)

And the rest of the Enchanted Forest Chronicles

And

And

oh and anything by Roald Dahl

(when I was in grade 3 I was reading The Witches and when I got to the part where the Grand High Witch removes her fake face I had to put it down for about a month before I had the courage to pick it back up again)
« Last Edit: 24 Nov 2006, 08:44 by Firefly »

nickb285

Re: Tales to
« Reply #1 on: 24 Nov 2006, 08:21 »

Best book series ever.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
Re: Tales of Your Youth
« Reply #2 on: 24 Nov 2006, 09:22 »

I don't have a cool picture, but I loved the Famous Five books by Enid Blyton. It was pretty much the source material for Scooby Doo, except instead of bent amusement park owners and creepy old dudes in mansions they mostly busted up smugglers and said things like "Blast!" and "You should have your ears boxed for such a cruel remark, Dick!!"

Also I am pretty sure Ann (Daphne) twisted her ankle EVERY. FUCKING. BOOK.

Actually anything by Enid Blyton was pretty good.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Thnikkaman

• Emoticontraindication
  • Owner of the Terrible Pun Racket
« Reply #3 on: 24 Nov 2006, 12:20 »

My nomination for Best Childhood Book:

(with Roald Dahl books coming in a close second)
Quote from: Eris (gabbly)
maybe I shouldn't have hit it

thegreatbuddha

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #4 on: 24 Nov 2006, 12:56 »

Roald Dahl of course...  My favorite's the one about poaching pheasants.  My Father the Hero maybe?

After that, i]The Wheel of Time [/i] and The Riftwar Saga rank highly
I want to be able to tell my kids about the days when the internet was an uncontrolled haven for outlaws such as myself.
Kind of like the old west but with keyboards and nobody is having sex.

ZJGent

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Night Talk at Harvey's
« Reply #5 on: 24 Nov 2006, 13:27 »

Quote from: Firefly
The Golden Compass
"The Golden Compass"??!?!?!?! What is "The Golden Compass"?!?!?!??!
Back in my youth, I read this crazily similar book called "Northern Lights". By the same author. In the same trilogy. Of three books.

Oh, also, I read Goosebumps and other scary stories vociferously from about 8 years old. At age 11 I tried my hand at Stephen King. I still love scary stories.
[02:29] Danosaur: I'd Spektor your Regina.

AIQ88

« Reply #6 on: 24 Nov 2006, 14:08 »

The Hobbit. i have read it so many times.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #7 on: 24 Nov 2006, 14:43 »

R.L. Stine's Goosebumps Series, The Hobbit and Douglas Adam's Hitchhikers's Guide to the Galaxy, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency and The Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul.

In that order.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Verergoca

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #8 on: 24 Nov 2006, 15:09 »

Well, so far, I can remember:

And a the OMG FUCKING ENTIRE SERIES I found at the highschool library of:

Cant really remember
« Last Edit: 24 Nov 2006, 15:35 by Verergoca »
Quote from: Dr. Sidney Freeman
Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

negative creep

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #9 on: 24 Nov 2006, 17:05 »

i read that, too! and the hobbit and lots of ???. and much more, but i can't remember right now.

supersheep

• Scrabble hacker
  • you'll have to speak up, i'm a fish and lack ears
« Reply #10 on: 24 Nov 2006, 20:35 »

Roald Dahl of course...  My favorite's the one about poaching pheasants.  My Father the Hero maybe?

After that, i]The Wheel of Time [/i] and The Riftwar Saga rank highly
It's called Danny the Champion of the World. One of my favourite books too. George's Marvellous Medicine and Fantastic Mr. Fox as well! Actually, pretty much everything by Dahl. Also, the Golden Compass is American for Northern Lights. Foolish Americans!
Also, Harry Potter. I was, and still am, a HUGE Harry Potter geek.
DJ Weight Problem: if you think semantics isn't that important maybe you should just can dig four banana nine jenkins razor blade dinosaur

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #11 on: 24 Nov 2006, 21:32 »

Man, being a Harry Potter geek is how I'd met most of my online friends (and my last girlfriend).

Um, Redwall. Remember that? I read those.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

supersheep

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #12 on: 24 Nov 2006, 21:37 »

Shane. That is also how I met my ex. I think you are me, but living in Massachusetts... Also, REDWALL! YAY! Man I loved those books. Actually, me and a friend wanted to make a dramatic reading of it when I was about eight or so. (Bastard still has my copy of Joseph the Bellmaker. And I haven't talked to him in, what, ten years? Never gonna see that again...)
DJ Weight Problem: if you think semantics isn't that important maybe you should just can dig four banana nine jenkins razor blade dinosaur

Ally

« Reply #13 on: 24 Nov 2006, 23:22 »

Man the end of the Amber Spyglass still makes me cry. I think we've done this a few times before but I used to read so much more so I love this topic. I'm moving this to the Books forum, though, even though not enough people go there.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #14 on: 25 Nov 2006, 00:31 »

dramatic reading of it

You should talk to Will about that.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

thepugs

« Reply #15 on: 25 Nov 2006, 06:20 »

You guys can't touch

and

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #16 on: 25 Nov 2006, 06:53 »

Oh man, is that a Reading Rainbow sticker on that first one, Ian?

HOW FRIGGING AWESOME WAS READING RAINBOW.

thepugs

« Reply #17 on: 25 Nov 2006, 07:24 »

TOTALLY AWESOME.  TEACH ME ABOUT BOOKS, GEORDI.

BUT, YOU KNOW...IT WAS NO WISHBONE.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #18 on: 25 Nov 2006, 07:28 »

You are quite correct, sir.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #19 on: 25 Nov 2006, 08:35 »

The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings/Farmer Giles of Ham*/Anything else Tolkien wrote, Wizard of Earthsea, The Chronicles of Pern, all David Eddings books, The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant Unbeliever, The Book of the New Sun, War of the Worlds, Narnia, Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy (but I was and am more a fan of the radio series, which I had on cassette), Harry Potter (I was, when I started reading them, exactly the same age as Harry Potter, considering I was bought The Philosphers Stone for my 11th birthday), and a lot of old-school stuff: I have a complete collection of Biggles books, and I used to love Hornblower, as well as Robert Louis Stevenson, Enid Blyton and Just William when I was younger and other more 'grown up' adventure novels (I am confident in saying I am the biggest, if not the only, John Buchan fan on this forum). On the opposite, my family also has a mind-numbing collection of 50's and 60's boys adventure annuals collected by my Uncle and father, so I also read large amounts of things like Victor and Eagle. Fuck those things are amazing. You couldn't get away with even thinking about publishing shit like that now. The WW2 stories were the best: all the Germans were called either Fritz or Hans and spent most of their time killing innocent people, shouting 'GOTT UNT HIMMEL' or being stabbed and shot by commandos in funny wooly hats. All the Japanese people were an absolutely virulent, mind-numbing yellow, had huge teeth and even less personalities. When I was 13 I was completely addicted to Lord Peter Whimsey mysteries and Sherlock Holmes. I was also quite big on over-romanticised Victorian/Edwardian historical novels like Hereward the Wake (who is, according to family mythology, one of my ancestors), the whole of The Once and Future King (and Le Morte d'Arthur come to think of it), Ivanhoe, etc.

I think my most concrete reading memory must be the Hobbit though. I was 6, and my parents had the tape of the BBC radio adaptation in the car on a long journey. The music completely enchanted me, and I got in to the story quite a bit, but the real reason I actually read the book was because I fell asleep at one point and missed the start of the bit where Bilbo meets Gollum, and as such could not work out what the fucking hell was going on. So I read it and the rest is history.

*Seriously, has anyone else in the world ever actually read this?
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Firefly

« Reply #20 on: 25 Nov 2006, 11:43 »

Oh-em-eff-geee! You've read David Eddings' stuff too?! Yays! *happy dance* There are so few people I know who have read them, makes it hard to geek out about them.

thepugs

« Reply #21 on: 25 Nov 2006, 20:52 »

David Eddings is totally awesome.  Classic fantasy right there.

Firefly

« Reply #22 on: 26 Nov 2006, 13:30 »

YES YES YES!!! I'm so very jazzed now about these newfound Eddings fans! *jumps up and down ridonkulously and happily*

As you may be able to tell I'm a wee tad exhausted, thus I'm off to sleepytime now, 'night all!

Edit: Oh, I also forgot to add, that when I first finished the Amber Spyglass I cried for a couple of hours afterwards. I'm pretty sure it was the first time I'd had my heart broken, such a good book!
« Last Edit: 27 Nov 2006, 21:36 by Firefly »

supersheep

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #23 on: 27 Nov 2006, 16:42 »

Man the end of the Amber Spyglass still makes me cry.
Same here - it is the ONLY time I have ever been that moved by a book. It is he most bittersweet moment I have ever come across anywhere.

Also, Khar, I think I read Farmer Giles of Ham once, but it was a LONG time ago and I don't remember it very well. Don't think I liked it though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up