THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 01:24
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Get out the butchers knife..  (Read 5395 times)

ComfortEagle

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
Get out the butchers knife..
« on: 14 Aug 2006, 21:31 »

I can not stop listening to Cursive's Ugly Organ. Iv'e had it for ages but have suddenly fallen in love with it. Is any one else going to buy the new album?

charlesegabel

« Reply #1 on: 14 Aug 2006, 22:57 »

Ugly Organ is terrific. I have to say Cursive is one of my favorite bands, and their show at a little venue in Cincinnati (well, Northern Kentucky) is the best show I've ever seen. I listened to an advance copy of Happy Hollow, and it's terrific, but with excellent addition of the horns instead of cello. It's a deeper album as far as having solid songs.

If you like Ugly Organ, check out Domestica, as it's perfect.

FreshJive787

• Furry furrier
« Reply #2 on: 15 Aug 2006, 00:05 »

yeah cursive is awesome. too bad their new CD happy hollow isnt very good at all.

iIlistened to it and i just couldnt get over the overly strong lyrics Tim was deliviring, also none of the subject matter follows in the spirit of cursives past CD's. I suppose its nice theyre trying something new but the sound just doesnt sit with me.

Spinless

« Reply #3 on: 15 Aug 2006, 08:12 »

NOW WE GET A CURSIVE THREAD.

It's like nobody listens to me. Ever.

I get to see them in...
7 days.
In the tiniest most intimate venue I have ever seen.

Who wants to touch me?

The new record isn't bad. It's just not Domestica. Or Ugly Organ.

Edit: Isn't happy hollow a concept album about moving to the city from a quaint lil town? I haven't spun it much, but that's the impression I got from the first few listens.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #4 on: 15 Aug 2006, 10:58 »

*touch touch touch*

i like what i've heard by cursive, but that isn't much.

gabel - where'd you see them?
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

ComfortEagle

« Reply #5 on: 15 Aug 2006, 14:48 »

Quote from: charlesegabel
Ugly Organ is terrific. I have to say Cursive is one of my favorite bands, and their show at a little venue in Cincinnati (well, Northern Kentucky) is the best show I've ever seen. I listened to an advance copy of Happy Hollow, and it's terrific, but with excellent addition of the horns instead of cello. It's a deeper album as far as having solid songs.

I own it, it makes me happy.But not as happy as Ugly Organ.

ComfortEagle

« Reply #6 on: 15 Aug 2006, 14:49 »

Quote from: charlesegabel

I own it, it makes me happy.But not as happy as Ugly Organ.

Merkava

« Reply #7 on: 15 Aug 2006, 15:11 »

Quote from: FreshJive787
yeah cursive is awesome. too bad their new CD happy hollow isnt very good at all.

iIlistened to it and i just couldnt get over the overly strong lyrics Tim was deliviring, also none of the subject matter follows in the spirit of cursives past CD's. I suppose its nice theyre trying something new but the sound just doesnt sit with me.

What do you mean by "overly strong" lyrics?

Spinless

« Reply #8 on: 15 Aug 2006, 16:18 »

I think he means 'it's new so it isn't as good'.

Lyrically it's typical Kasher stuff. The real difference with this lies in the music, which is unlike anything they have done before.

FreshJive787

• Furry furrier
« Reply #9 on: 15 Aug 2006, 16:37 »

lyrically it is not typical Kasher stuff! The album is an all out attack against christianity. im not a christian, i honestly dont care if anyone sings about this, but it just doesnt follow with what kasher was doing before happy hollow and i guess i was just expecting lyrics like the previous 7 cursive albums.

MajinTrunkz

• Plantmonster
    • http://majintrunkz.deviantart.com
« Reply #10 on: 15 Aug 2006, 17:06 »

The Ugly Organ was the first album I heard by them and I didn't like it at first, but after a few listens I loved it.  I've got the leak of Happy Hollow and I haven't really listened to it enough to have much of an opinion of it, but so far I don't think it's bad.
This is my signature! Isn't it so awesome?

Nuance

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #11 on: 15 Aug 2006, 17:35 »

I'd have to agree with this being something of a departure for Cursive lyrically.  Its not really told from a very personal perspective (its all stories of characters, not much about Kasher himself).  He's never been the most subtle of singers, though he's often clever.  However, I don't think that the bluntness of his style dovetails quite as nicely with this style of narrative.  It comes across as a little bit too preachy.

That said, I like the album musically, I'd have loved to hear another disc of cello powered punk, but I have to tip my hat to Cursive for changing up their sound.  I also think that the use of the Gospel choir during one of the most blantantly anti-religious songs is pretty well done.  Again, not subtle, but at least on that song it makes me grin.

The other thing that I think is kinda interesting is that I hear a lot of The Good Life bleeding into the song writing.

snarkydoormat

« Reply #12 on: 15 Aug 2006, 20:58 »

I love The Ugly Organ...it's probably one of the best contemporary concept albums, and a pretty decent if cynical commentary on the mopey-indie-rocker lifestyle/mentality (since i'm just ever-so familiar with being a mopey-indie-rocker). I have ordered Happy Hollw from S-C.com....can't wait1

Spinless

« Reply #13 on: 16 Aug 2006, 13:55 »

Cursive and the Good Life are the same thing to me. I'm just gay for Tim Kasher. Actually, in the venue I'm seeing him next week I'll be about 3ft away from him with my 'GAY FOR TIM' sign.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #14 on: 16 Aug 2006, 14:00 »

...are you seriously taking the sign?
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

ComfortEagle

« Reply #15 on: 16 Aug 2006, 21:41 »

I should hope so.

will: wanton sex god

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #16 on: 21 Aug 2006, 05:42 »

ive only heard happy hollow through once but it was the first time ive not liked an album by a band ive like 4+ albums of prior.  its really that bad (or maybe even worse)

charlesegabel

« Reply #17 on: 21 Aug 2006, 08:19 »

*touch touch touch*

i like what i've heard by cursive, but that isn't much.

gabel - where'd you see them?

Southgate House in Newport, Ky. Not that tiny, but quite small. And luckily I'm seeing them this fall in Metro in Chicago when I'm up at school.

On the counts of saying Happy Hollow isn't that good, I disagree vehimently. There isn't a whole lot to say there...

Spinless

« Reply #18 on: 21 Aug 2006, 10:08 »

Happy Hollow is great.

Zanrar

« Reply #19 on: 21 Aug 2006, 14:45 »

it sure is.

I'd love it if the cellist, Gretta Cohn, plays alongside whoever does the trumpet/brass instrument (i'm terrible at identifying brass instruments) in the next album.

Spinless

« Reply #20 on: 22 Aug 2006, 03:31 »

So long fuckers, I'm off to see Cursive now.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #21 on: 22 Aug 2006, 08:58 »

You should have spelled it normally. He might not know you want to buttsex him.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there
Pages: [1]   Go Up