THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 23:16
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Breaking Down & Asking for Recommendations  (Read 8752 times)

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
Breaking Down & Asking for Recommendations
« on: 24 Sep 2006, 01:20 »

I promised myself I wouldn't start a thread to ask for advice, but I am hopelessly inept at finding good music on my own. I've only been listening to good music for a relatively short time (about a year), and only as a result of the QC forumites, so I am now sincerely asking for help.

I listen to and enjoy The Arcade Fire, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Mogwai, Oh No! Oh My!, Death Cab For Cutie and The Postal Service, Modest Mouse, Fugazi, and lots of random screamo/melodic hardcore/emocore stuff (Thrice, Poison The Well, Converge, blah blah blah).

I am open to new things, as I have not been exposed to new things for very long, and am sure there are more things to sample out there. If a sound doesn't appeal to me right away, I will give myself some time to enjoy and understand the music before ruling one way or another, so experimental or "different" music isn't a problem: I can adjust. However, I have never been able to appreciate any metal. I've given different kinds of metal different kinds of time, but I just can't bring myself to like it. If you think you can change my mind, please try!

I understand that asking for recommendations based on a list of bands I've heard and like is somewhat selfish, especially with so many similar posts (with different bands, noted) cluttering up this forum, but I desperately crave a larger music library, and you people seem to be right ones to bestow your wisdom upon me. Thanks again.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #1 on: 24 Sep 2006, 01:43 »

Not sure if you've heard Watch Out! by Alexisonfire, a Canadian band, but I'd say it's probably one of the pinnacles of modern screamo.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Praeserpium Machinarum

« Reply #2 on: 24 Sep 2006, 02:17 »

My little brother is very much into the hardcore/emocore/screamo shebang and I thought I might recount some of the things he likes:
La Quiete(italian screamo)
Daitro(french screamo I think)
Amanda Woodward(french hardcore whom I also like)
Envy(japanese emocore, get A Dead Sinking Story)
At the Drive-In
Also listen to Jim O'Rourke, you need Jim in your life.

metal that is quite unmetallic:
Arcturus(I like Sideshow Symphonies a lot)

Obligatory mentioning of Under Byen. Samme Stof som Stof is to be released in the USA pronto so now you yanks don't have any excuse anymore.
For the noise freak you know you want to be I recommend Wäldchengarten. Electrical Bonding is amazing.
Not to forget one of Denmark's most excentric musicians Kristian Vester a.k.a. Goodiepal. You can download his entire discography here completely legal.

byebyepanda

• Emoticontraindication
  • do a barrel roll!
« Reply #3 on: 24 Sep 2006, 02:20 »

Animal Collective - this is something may be different to you
The Walkmen
Deerhoof
Shout Out Louds
Wolf Parade

...just to name a few. :)

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #4 on: 24 Sep 2006, 12:04 »

Oh, and Melodic, you should try listening to Pelican; it's metal, but it is purely instrumental and also has real exploratory post-rock leanings.

pat101

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • A Minor Mass
« Reply #5 on: 24 Sep 2006, 18:34 »

Silver Jews - American Water

One of my all time favorites, I mean David Berman is probably my favorite writer since... I don't know Dylan.  You can never go wrong with Stephen Malkmus playing some lead guitar.

Hold Steady - Seperation Sunday

If you can get into the vocalist (Craig Finn) you will have found one of your new favorite bands. He's also a fantastic writer, and the band has just an excellent almost classic rock sound.

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
« Reply #6 on: 24 Sep 2006, 19:04 »

Converge = awesome.  Amanda Woodward is great, so is Envy.  You might enjoy City Of Caterpillar or Pg. 99, I personally find Isis/Neurosis/Rosetta/Russian Circles all to be quite freaking rad...Isis has toured with Mogwai before, you might dig 'em, and if you dig Isis, it's not a big stretch to dig the rest...

if you want to get into some more straight hardcore (as in the really pissed off sounding stuff, not so much the screamo stuff) I highly recommend old American Nightmare (Give Up The Ghost after a name change), The Hope Conspiracy, Blacklisted, Modern Life Is War...this is all the sort of stuff that gets my blood up and boiling.  

I could post more, but I think I've said about enough for this post, anyway - the only thing that I see missing is the obligitory Anal Cunt.

ANAL CUNT!
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

Karma Police

Re: Breaking Down & Asking for Recommendations
« Reply #7 on: 24 Sep 2006, 19:27 »

Quote from: Melodic

The Arcade Fire

Try Final Fantasy. He does all the string arrangements, and his most recent album, 'He Poos Clouds' is positively a joy to listen to. His debut, 'Has a Good Home', is also very good, and features 'This is the Dream of Win and Regine', which is amazing. Also, Bell Orchestre features some mucisians from Arcade Fire, though they're a lot more orchestral, as well as instrumental.

Mogwai

Try some other post-rock, such as Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Do Make Say Think, and Explosions in the Sky. Especially, Sigur Ros, they make some of the best post-rock I've ever heard.

Modest Mouse

Try Pavement, Hard Fi, and Spoon. They all have a similar indie-rock sound.

As for the Screamo sort of stuff, I can only think of Saves the Day, since I almost saw them in concert, though I don't know as much about that type of music. You may also want to try THe Mars Volta, as it features two of the members from At The Drive-In.

If you want to change your mind about Metal, I recommend Boris. They're latest album, Pink, is much easier to listen to than a lot of metal, without sacrificing the attitude and intensity.
« Last Edit: 27 Sep 2006, 18:33 by Karma Police »

Skittish

« Reply #8 on: 24 Sep 2006, 19:57 »

Check out:

Grizzly Bear
Explosions in the Sky

The Mighty Mopdecai

« Reply #9 on: 27 Sep 2006, 17:53 »

I suggest Sigur Ros as well. Amazing Live
For your emo core i suggest to see if you can find some old Radio 1 Lock Up shows by Mike Davis I been listening to that while I'm working in my restaurant and I can't believe that it has finished now.

Karma Police

« Reply #10 on: 27 Sep 2006, 18:32 »

Quote from: Karma Police
Hard Fi and Saves the Day
good suggestions with the exception of these two appalling bands.
avoid.

I happen to like Hard-Fi, though to each his own I suppose.

As for the Saves the Day recommendation, I don't know a lot about them, they were one of the only bands of that genre I could think of, as I don't know much about that type of music.
« Last Edit: 27 Sep 2006, 18:33 by Karma Police »

soak

« Reply #11 on: 27 Sep 2006, 19:02 »

No recommendations for Broken Social Scene yet!

Also try the Shins and the Panda Band.

ImRonBurgundy?

• "That's all," he added.
« Reply #12 on: 28 Sep 2006, 01:50 »

I think you might dig bands like Jawbreaker, Hot Water Music, and Leatherface.  Gunmoll is pretty dang good, too.  And I'm listening to The Draft's album right now, and it's pretty great stuff.
You just came back to shit in my heart, didn't you Ryan?

Karma Police

« Reply #13 on: 28 Sep 2006, 16:06 »

saves the day are insipid power pop.
if such a thing as screamo exists, it isn't they.

no offence sir, your other recommendations were great.

I appreciate it. I was hoping for a decent first post.

As for more recommendations, if Broken Social Scene was to your liking, I highly recommend Stars, and while they don't really apply to any of your original choices, Wolf Parade and Sunset Rubdown are both amazing, as well as fronted by the same person.

Zanrar

« Reply #14 on: 28 Sep 2006, 18:27 »

If you like hardcore/screamo, I suggest Circle Takes The Square.

They write some amazing lyrics.

Will

• Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
« Reply #15 on: 28 Sep 2006, 20:18 »

Along with CTTS (who write amazing music and put on amazing shows) you might like City Of Catarpillar...Zanzar, are you familiar with them?  If not you NEED to check them out!
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

_Nikku

« Reply #16 on: 30 Sep 2006, 12:00 »

If you don't mind music in other languages, you should REALLY check out japan.

Go!Go!7-1-8-8 = an amazing female vocalist and lots of funky/punky/discordant sounds

Polysics = imagine DEVO+Nirvana+the talking heads in a room and asked to make music with an Atari 1200

Asian Kung Fu Generation = rockin' catchy and expressive

Dir En Grey = recently gaining more popularity in the states after their show in NYC, the end result of five Geniuses getting together, vocalist's style takes some getting used to but the two early albums Gauze and Macabre are addictive substances.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #17 on: 30 Sep 2006, 12:13 »

If you like hardcore/screamo, I suggest Circle Takes The Square.

They write some amazing lyrics.

Actuallly, for a screamo band CTTS are pretty good. For a screamo band.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #18 on: 30 Sep 2006, 20:45 »

Did you try any of our suggestions? Give us an update! And also I do not enjoy Circle Takes The Square. My idea was better.

ImRonBurgundy?

• "That's all," he added.
« Reply #19 on: 01 Oct 2006, 07:07 »

Polysics = imagine DEVO+Nirvana+the talking heads in a room and asked to make music with an Atari 1200

i don't hear very much Nirvana in Polysics, honestly.  I get more of a Dead Kennedys/Adolescents/Agent Orange vibe.
You just came back to shit in my heart, didn't you Ryan?

negative creep

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #20 on: 01 Oct 2006, 07:36 »

I suggest Circle Takes The Square.

seconded

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #21 on: 01 Oct 2006, 15:54 »

I have been meaning to reply, but it is a long list you hipsters have bestowed upon me. Let me see.

I already own Alexisonfire's Watch Out!, and have been meaning to get Crisis for awhile. While their new album doesn't sound entirely different from Watch Out!, it's nice to see more of the same.

I already listen to a lot of At The Drive-In and Broken Social Scene, but I forgot to mention them for some reason.

Animal Collective, The Walkmen, Silver Jews, and Deerhoof  are on on my re-listen list. I think it's all something I could get into, but will take some time to familiarize myself and understand the bands. I can do that, but it will take some gettin' used to. Every foreign band is on this list, too. Lyrics are a big part of music for me, so I have to get in a certain mood to enjoy music I can't understand.

The Shout Out Louds, Wolf Parade, Stars, and Q And Not U are dynamite. I will definitely be adding some of their albums to my meager collection soon.

I have yet to check out Circle Takes The Square, Hoover, Jawbox, Grizzly Bear, Explosions In The Sky, Spoon, or the other bands mentioned. I like to take my time in experiencing new music, so I spend a good amount of time on one band (and even a good amount of time on one song). I will get to them soon enough.

Thanks again for all the good music! I will continue to diligently plow through the ever-increasing list of good sounds, until all are checked or exxed.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Jeridus

« Reply #22 on: 02 Oct 2006, 00:14 »

Not sure if you've heard Watch Out! by Alexisonfire, a Canadian band, but I'd say it's probably one of the pinnacles of modern screamo.

That is a super sweet album indeed... and so is the most recent one, Crisis... but the first one is pretty classic as far as Alexisonfire goes.

robert g

« Reply #23 on: 03 Oct 2006, 22:01 »

Also listen to Jim O'Rourke, you need Jim in your life.

There's something really funny about seeing Jim's name at the end of a list of screamo artists. :laugh:

But yeah, everyone can use some Jim in their life. God only knows where mine would be if it wasn't for his Drag City albums. Or Happy Days, for that matter!

screwjack

« Reply #24 on: 04 Oct 2006, 02:20 »

Like Circle Takes the Square,   The Number Twelve Looks Like You is something I listen to if in that kind of mood.... Or The Locust.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #25 on: 05 Oct 2006, 10:15 »

My little brother is very much into the hardcore/emocore/screamo shebang and I thought I might recount some of the things he likes:
La Quiete(italian screamo)
Daitro(french screamo I think)
Amanda Woodward(french hardcore whom I also like)
Envy(japanese emocore, get A Dead Sinking Story)

You brother knows his onions, La Quiete are easily the best screamo band still around and the rest of those bands are all quality too. Also worth keeping an eye on these days are Jupiter Lander and Funeral Diner. But with emo some classics of the genre are always a good idea too.
Portraits of Past - classic mid-90s screamo
Bread And Circuits - as above
Orchid - cultural theory meets screamo with excellent guitars
Rites of Spring - invented it and had probably the greatest emo vocalist of all in Guy Picciotto
The Hated - invented it too
Bob Tilton - the UK's most drooled-over emo band
Spy Versus Spy - should have been the UK's most drooled over emo band, and had that guitar sound that only English bands from around the turn of the century were allowed to have
Dugong - kings of the Wakey indie/emo sound, get Hat Danko as it's pure gold
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #26 on: 17 Nov 2006, 00:42 »

Radiation 4.  I have pushed this once today already. 
Mr. Bungle. 
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Spinless

« Reply #27 on: 17 Nov 2006, 01:00 »

DAMMIT.

Dimmukane, I just spent about 15 minutes typing about how everybody should buy 'Gentlemen' by the Afghan Whigs because I didn't realised this thread was over 2 months old and that the original poster probably doesn't care anymore. I wrote like TWO full paragraphs about why it was one of the most essential albums of the early nineties.

There are special exceptions where you CAN revive an old thread. Otherwise, it's just pointless bumping that gets on people's nerves.

I know when you're new every single thread probably shows up as 'NEW' but I BEG of all new posters...

Post only in the ACTIVE threads.
Post ONLY when you have something to say.
You should NOT have 29 post on your first day on the forum, I don't care how much free time you have.
Slow down, stick to active threads, and learn how to go with the flow, you'll hopefully become like a piece of the furniture.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #28 on: 17 Nov 2006, 07:34 »

However, Gentlemen is a great album and the Afghan Whigs are boss.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #29 on: 17 Nov 2006, 23:39 »

Envy(japanese emocore)

indeed. as far as these bands go (which, for me anyway, is not very far) this is one of the best. well worth looking into (insomniac doze is on a par with thier first imho).
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

livingthelie

« Reply #30 on: 18 Nov 2006, 00:11 »

Jawbreaker

agreed!!  wholeheartedly....i love this band.  to the point where i bore my friends by going off on ecstatic ramblings about how blake schwarzenbach and i were meant to be best friends.  seriously.   

also, try lifetime, kid dynamite, and paint it black.  all very, very good stuff.
Pages: [1]   Go Up