THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 20:22
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PSP help  (Read 5607 times)

Juanathon

PSP help
« on: 01 Aug 2006, 20:38 »

Hey everyone,

Well i think im gonna dive in deep into my wallet and get a Psp. I have seen the Ds recommendations and wonderred if you guys could offer me the same for Psp. Im going on a trip to washing Dc soon (from alaska). (Dammmmm scheduling errors, i miss otakon by 2 days, !$57!%$@!12!) and would love to take some PsP games along with me. So far i think im gonna get lemmings, and some other games. Any hardware suggestions would be apreciated too.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
PSP help
« Reply #1 on: 01 Aug 2006, 21:03 »

I'm not gonna be any help here, because my recommendation would be "don't get a PSP"

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
PSP help
« Reply #2 on: 01 Aug 2006, 21:08 »

To be fair, it is a lot better now that it's 200 dollars instead of 300.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

will: wanton sex god

• Cthulhu f'tagn
PSP help
« Reply #3 on: 01 Aug 2006, 22:42 »

definitely get lumines.  the end.
actualy, if youre into fighters, tekken dr is supposed to be like the best tekken ever that just happens to be for psp.

Jenno

• Furry furrier
PSP help
« Reply #4 on: 02 Aug 2006, 00:57 »

Lemmings.

Juanathon

PSP help
« Reply #5 on: 02 Aug 2006, 02:38 »

grr, u guys are really making me doubt my choice of what system to get. Come on their have to be some more positives to the psp. I rewally don't think i want a Ds, and i want a hand held

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
PSP help
« Reply #6 on: 02 Aug 2006, 14:07 »

if you are into action/rpg and that sort of thing then i would recommend Monster Hunter Freedom. there is very little plot, but there are lots of monsters and customizable armor/weapons for your character.

Metal Gear Ac!d was pretty fun too. it lasted me a good while and was fun with a good story. although, it has very little replay value, in my opinion.
i cant vouch for the second one, i havent played it yet.

i wouldnt recommend mercury at all. i like puzzle games, dont get me wrong, and this game WAS fun............for about a day then i traded it in because it just got boring and i beat it.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Simon

• Plantmonster
PSP help
« Reply #7 on: 02 Aug 2006, 17:39 »

Wipeout Pure and Burnout Legends are both solid racing titles, if you enjoy that genre. I recently picked up Gripshift on the cheap, too. It's got cars and racing, but is mainly about jumping and puzzles and platforms. A good amount of replay value, as there are usually lots of ways to complete a level. Good stuff for what I payed for it.

Bunnyman

PSP help
« Reply #8 on: 07 Aug 2006, 01:18 »

Wait...giving money to Sony?  Perish the thought.

tfear

PSP help
« Reply #9 on: 10 Aug 2006, 02:33 »

I kind of liked Generation of Chaos.  It was put out by Nippon Ichi (Disgaea, La Pucelle, Phantom Brave.)

You should also get  a movie or two (or have a big enough memory stick for   your own stuff) for that long of a plane ride.

TheMedic

PSP help
« Reply #10 on: 10 Aug 2006, 02:55 »

Me and my Katamari
Seriously, the most fun I've had on my psp stems from that game.
Also Monster Hunter Freedom can be a pain with the small screen and semi akward controls.

Juanathon

PSP help
« Reply #11 on: 16 Aug 2006, 22:54 »

Yeah a movie would have been nice to have. Lemmings still amuses me and frustrates me, dammm u lemming why must i save all of you. Monster Hunter is a bit of pain. While a bit interesting it lack the sstory line to keep me interested for its long loading time and dull game play. I did get battle front which altough the control schemes sucks something awful the game is still a lot of fun, just so much to do. I think next on my shoping list would probably be Valkary profiles and megaman X Hunter? any reviews on either of these two games?

DavidGrohl

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
PSP help
« Reply #12 on: 17 Aug 2006, 10:15 »

Don't buy a PSP . . it's a dying console.  If you want to watch DVDs and listen to music, buy an iPod.  If you want to play video games, get a DS lite.  I've had both systems -- played the 'must' haves.  It's not worth it.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
PSP help
« Reply #13 on: 17 Aug 2006, 10:32 »

Lumines
Mega Man Powered Up
Mega Man Maverick Hunter X

I've played a lot of PSP games. Those are the only ones I can recommend without a disclaimer that you could get the same(but better) game on a PS2.

And, to be honest, I would recommend the Mega Man X Collection over Maverick Hunter. It's too easy and short.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Tokuma

• Balloon animal serial killer
    • http://www.last.fm/user/tokuma/
PSP help
« Reply #14 on: 17 Aug 2006, 20:13 »

I bought a psp a few months ago...used it for a month, and havn't touched it since. The only things going for it are the attachments comming out later this year (mainly the GPS one for me, I get lost quite a bit).

Juanathon

PSP help
« Reply #15 on: 28 Aug 2006, 22:25 »

Hmmmmm, this is one of those times i really wish i had listened to people and not been stubborn. The Psp was probably one of the biggests wastes of money i have made in a long while. While some what fun, the mp3 function is marginal at best. The web browsing featture is its one redeeming factor.
Im gonna give it a couple more chances meabby pick up some other games, and sell monster hunter ( sucky plotless game), keep playing lemmings until i get either the damaci game or valkery profiles. If you guys have any comments on either of these two games plz enlighten me with all knowing wisdom.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
PSP help
« Reply #16 on: 28 Aug 2006, 23:36 »

Quote from: est
my recommendation would be "don't get a PSP"

Linds

PSP help
« Reply #17 on: 29 Aug 2006, 08:07 »

My review, because I have nothing better to do:

+On FW 1.5, you can play nintendo 64 games, snes games, gbc/gba games, supertux, doom, tetris, and emulate higher firmwares to get the web browser and rss feeds and stuff. In other words, don't like sony's games? Play nintendo or homemade games! For free. :)
+On FW 1.5 you can change fonts, game boots, startup, etc. FW 1.5 is just magical in general.
+If you get FW 2.0, you can downgrade to 1.5 easily
-If you get a 2.01, 2.5 or 2.6, you have to rent GTA to downgrade to 1.5, anything higher and you can't downgrade. (but an exploit has been found so you never know)
+Great interface
+You can listen to music, go online, listen to audio rss feeds, watch movies, etc
-A lot of people complain about listening to music, because it's not up to par with their ipods. I love it though, but you might not maybe?
-There's a massive shadowing problem with the lcd screen, so if you're watching a movie for a while, you'll notice the words don't line up with the mouth. This is my biggest problem with the psp.
-The web browser times out a lot. But if all you really want it for is to check your email and the daily qc, you should be fine. The psp browser is pretty pointless anyways, if you think about it.
+Batterys last a good five hours, they are rechargeable, and you can buy an extra if you think you'll need it. But unless you plan on being in a car for 10+ hours, you probably wont.
+If you need extra space, you can always buy another memorystick
-Batteries and memory sticks are expensive.
-UMD games cost a LOT. And never buy a umd movie either, just play movies off the memory stick. Umd's suck up batteries.
+Lumines
+Burn out legends
+Wipeout Pure
+Star Wars Battle front II
+Lego Star Wars II (coming soon :S)

If you have no idea what 1.5, 2.0, 2.5, mean..It's the firmware, which is like the psp's operating system. The earliest firmware (1.0 and 1.5) had a few 'security holes' that let people run non-sony games/applications. Because of that, you can run tons of emulators, games, and tools to personalize your psp.  But sony finds this a money threat (people loading their games for free + other free games = less sales) so the higher firmware the more holes sony patches up. Currently you can downgrade back to 1.5 from up to firmware 2.6. But any higher and you'd have to wait a bit. (there's been another exploit found in all firmwares though, so it might not be too long though)

I had a psp fw 2.6, and it's cool for a week and then it gets boring. Downgrading to 1.5 was the thing that made it worth the $250.
Pages: [1]   Go Up