Internet Explorer
- 4 (6%)
Safari
- 4 (6%)
Opera
- 5 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What browser do you use?  (Read 14649 times)

schimmy

• The Tickler
Re: What browser do you use?
« Reply #50 on: 10 Nov 2006, 00:56 »

Sure, it took us a long time to get working taps, but at least it's not all we have. We have wine too, and great food.

I suck at analogies.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #51 on: 17 Nov 2006, 06:13 »

What about Avant? Nobody ever uses Avant.

i use it, i'm using it right now.  so far, it's been kicking firefox's ass all over the place, at least for me.  after this, it's maxthon, firefox, opera, IE, Heatseek :P
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Catfish_Man

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
    • Assorted Stuff
« Reply #52 on: 17 Nov 2006, 08:56 »

Why do you hate web developers so much, Dimmukane? :P

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #53 on: 17 Nov 2006, 09:59 »

Why do you hate web developers so much, Dimmukane? :P

?
I haven't run across a web page that won't work perfectly on it...it runs on IE framework, so if a page works in IE (just about all of them), then it works in Avant.  I do believe it passed the acid test...as far as I know, it's the least of web dev worries.  Maybe you're thinking of the older Avant?
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Catfish_Man

• Assorted Stuff
« Reply #54 on: 17 Nov 2006, 10:45 »

It's based on IE, that's the problem. IE is the worst thing to happen to the web since Netscape 4. The reason so many pages work in it is because of hours of painful working around problems on the part of any web designer trying to do something complex.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #55 on: 17 Nov 2006, 19:10 »

well, which browser requires the least amount of effort from web devs?  not like i'm gonna switch, but i'd like to know.

Catfish_Man

• Assorted Stuff
« Reply #56 on: 17 Nov 2006, 21:34 »

Firefox, Safari, and Opera are all quite good (as is anything based on them; Flock, Omniweb, etc...). Each has its quirks, but in general they're relatively minor quirks (a few examples: firefox doesn't support display:inline-block;, opera 8 doesn't support the CSS DOM apis, safari has some issues that prevent most web rich text editors from working with it).

IE7 was a huge improvement in web standards support from IE6, so at the very least make sure you're using something based on it. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens on the web as it becomes common.

nihilist

« Reply #57 on: 17 Nov 2006, 22:46 »

I dunno, I develop shit based on CSS+XHTML, and it renders quite well in IE6/7, FF1/2, Opera...  (I'll never touch OS X, so I can't talk about the OS X-only browsers.)  No hacks required.  But, then again, I'm not trying to do crazy things with a browers.  Note to people: a browser is NOT an application deployment mechanism!

Catfish_Man

• Assorted Stuff
« Reply #58 on: 18 Nov 2006, 02:44 »

http://www.positioniseverything.net/ie-primer.html  <-- an example (also see background-attachment:fixed, :hover on anything but <a>, or translucent PNG support).
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up