THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 17 Apr 2024, 23:33
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Picasso  (Read 3692 times)

bachelorchow

• Not quite a lurker
Picasso
« on: 03 Sep 2006, 01:18 »

paints.
« Last Edit: 05 Feb 2012, 03:40 by bachelorchow »

strangebear

Picasso
« Reply #1 on: 03 Sep 2006, 10:58 »

It sounds like many of the exhibitions I end up going to ... a dozen pictures you really enjoy and then nine barrels of crap to fill up the other rooms.
I was mega-excited by a recent Preraph exhibition at the Lady Lever Art Gallery on the Wirral. It was only 3 rooms, but it was laid out like making love to a beautiful woman ... wonderful foreplay with pencil sketches and small pictures ... building into larger works and fantastic pencil studies ... and final an amazing final room of some breath-taking works and famous paintings. One brilliant exhibition that did everything it promised on the poster.

Sorry to hear about the Pablo newspaper-a-thon. Any decent news stories? You can gain some satisfaction in knowing that some stupid idiot somewhere paid an inflated price for those scribbled newspapers! Fool!

• Not quite a lurker
  • diversion
    • My Blog
Picasso
« Reply #2 on: 03 Sep 2006, 16:30 »

One of the things I'd like about being famous would be selling my own used crap on eBay.

Matazone

Picasso
« Reply #3 on: 06 Sep 2006, 04:26 »

I saw a program, very late one night, where Picasso was drawing on some kind of light box, which meant you could see the picture appear as he drew it without his hands getting in the way.

It was very interesting, because about halfway through he had a very good representational image (it looked like what it was representing) but then he continued to work on it until it was a mess of black and lines. The lesson there was that he was an extremely capable artist, he just preferred working in a style that is more challenging.

Picasso and Braque worked in a studio together and were fortunate to have a patron who would come by every week and buy whatever they had made, so they would normally just draw on whatever was to hand. When the patron came to colelct the new works they would just sign half of the pictures each. Many of their works were so similar during this period that it's very likely that a fair number of the pictures in the exhibition weren't even by Picasso at all! It does reinforce the idea that the only way to produce an interesting style is to work at it every single day, even when you're not doing anything very new you are still honing your technique, which is a valuable lesson.

I saw a really good Picasso exhibition about ten years ago. It was quite small and contained a good number of his very early works. You could see the way his style had progressed, and it was a useful insight into his development... A bit like looking through the last few years of Jeph's strips!

bujiatang

Picasso
« Reply #4 on: 06 Sep 2006, 07:22 »

I have always loved the photography that Picasso was involved with.  it s innovative in how he manipulated the very silver.  

two years ago I went to an exhibit at the Arken outside Copenhagen. (getting lost in a country where you can sort of understand what people are saying is exciting, especially when you are mindnumbingly lost. I didn't "know" where the museum was, only that it was east of a suburb.) it was a collection of 70 some pieces still owned by the family.  A lot of them were doodles, or from his years at school, and hardly any of them were completed.  It was like looking at half completed assignments and C work of my own, but through it I gained insight into how he created his cubism, becaus one of the pictures was a portrait he was in the process of.  The woman was very lifelike in pencil, but over the sketch were new lines exaggerating and manipulating the features.  The distorted image made sense having seen the sketch he started from.

As much as I like seeing masterpieces, I loved that show.

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
Picasso
« Reply #5 on: 06 Sep 2006, 19:38 »

Pablo Picasso never got called an asshole.

Alarra

Picasso
« Reply #6 on: 06 Sep 2006, 19:40 »

The last picasso exhibit I went to....in....Luzerne? I believe...was actually quite good. They had a pretty good numbers of paintings.

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
Picasso
« Reply #7 on: 06 Sep 2006, 19:47 »

Quote from: Gryff
Pablo Picasso never got called an asshole.

I know that sounds familiar...my kung fu is failing me...what was that from?  i know it was a song, right?
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

Matazone

Picasso
« Reply #8 on: 07 Sep 2006, 02:17 »

http://www.teenagewildlife.com/Songs/P/pablopicasso.html

You've got to love Google. It's the law.
Pages: [1]   Go Up