THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 05:26
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The new thing in Jeph's art...  (Read 4431 times)

Matazone

The new thing in Jeph's art...
« on: 06 Sep 2006, 03:28 »

Episode 703:

http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=703

Jeph says he's trying something subtly new, but I've completely failed to spot what it is.

There seem to be a few more profile shots of the characters than usual, and Dora's expression in panel three looks startled in a way I don't recognise, but I suspect these are not the new thing. Would anyone care to hazard a guess what it is?

I've been working on my own style over the years, and it's been interesting seeing how Jeph's style has developed, so I'm curious about his refinement processes and spotting the things that he decides to work on.

bujiatang

« Reply #1 on: 06 Sep 2006, 07:07 »

lines are thinner.  at first I thought it was something in the shading, because that has changed, but from the previous weeks comics to this one, the difference I see is the lines.

I think it looks good.

TheLanyard

« Reply #2 on: 06 Sep 2006, 14:26 »

It must be really subtle because I can't see it.  I mean...I think I see it, but I think that's just because I'm told it's there...[/b]

Alarra

« Reply #3 on: 06 Sep 2006, 14:54 »

First thing I thought when I looked at it was that the lines were thinner....before i even read that he did something new. Once I read that, I flipped back to the previous ones and compared it, and indeed, the outlines of the characters are much thinner. I like it. I think it gives things a bit more delicate feel.

Matazone

« Reply #4 on: 07 Sep 2006, 03:08 »

Ah yes, I see that now. Thanks!

I guess it looks less cartoony, but I'm not sure if it impacts on the feel of the strips. It might make colouring a bit more tricky!

Back when I was studying art we were always encouraged to not use outlines at all, edges were defined by tone and colour, but that just doesn't work with comics, where there is rarely enough time to add sufficient detail to generate that type of contrast to the edges. Maybe it's a sign of Jeph's increasing confidence in his artwork that he's using thinner lines, and maybe one day they will disappear altogether... Or not.

MajinTrunkz

• Plantmonster
    • http://majintrunkz.deviantart.com
« Reply #6 on: 08 Sep 2006, 15:32 »

I'm probably the only person who looked hard enough to notice this, but Faye's chin is a bit pointier.  And it's probably not anything he did purposefully, either.  But I don't know.

This is my signature! Isn't it so awesome?

Matazone

« Reply #7 on: 11 Sep 2006, 01:02 »

That could be it but that might be the whim of the pen on that day! I've always found that consistency is one of the hardest things in drawing. That's why it's so useful to have obvious markers of individuality, such as glasses, or spikey hair.

bujiatang

« Reply #8 on: 13 Sep 2006, 07:38 »

jeph said things, which I take to mean there was a dilliberate variety of changes.  are there more layers in coloring?  I'm going blind trying to see what I am looking at.

lessthanfirst

« Reply #9 on: 13 Sep 2006, 17:50 »

Since he said subtle changes and not a subtle change I thought there must be more changes than just the thickness of the lines. Personally I think the lines look a lot better a little thicker.

I read the blog first on that strip, and the only thing I noticed were the lines. Not sure if I would have noticed or not if I hadn't bothered to read the strip.

HFrankenstein

• Emoticontraindication
  • El Bueno!!
    • Hindrances to Progress
Re: The new thing in Jeph's art...
« Reply #10 on: 28 Sep 2006, 05:15 »

I prefer the thicker lines, too.  They draw your eye to the more important stuff in the picture.  'Course, if you want your panels to be taken as a whole, then thin lines are going to be the way to go.  Perhaps he feels like his backgrounds are being ignored?  He does have that odd quality of actually drawing them in every comic.  A lot of artists are pretty lazy about that.
Hindrances to Progress Games to get in the way of your dreams!

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #11 on: 28 Sep 2006, 13:33 »

Actually he re-uses a lot of backgrounds for the regular locations, but yeah, he does put in a lot of time drawing awesome backgrounds.

Napoleon the Clown

• Emoticontraindication
  • Worriesome
« Reply #12 on: 04 Oct 2006, 16:36 »

One thing I noticed is that he did a couple of profile shots in that one.  Maybe that has something to do with it?
Scaring the shit outta Hannelore since...  God knows when. (T-shirt reference FTW)

strokefan7

« Reply #13 on: 10 Oct 2006, 12:04 »

compare 720 vs 699-702, I think there's a difference in there.....I'm just not sure what
Pages: [1]   Go Up