Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Slayer  (Read 7511 times)

youthoftomorrow

Slayer
« on: 07 Sep 2006, 01:30 »

vote.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
Slayer
« Reply #1 on: 07 Sep 2006, 01:33 »

Honestly, I still don't know. I like their music ... for about 10 minutes. Then I switch to something more interesting. But it's a good ten minutes.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
Slayer
« Reply #2 on: 07 Sep 2006, 01:50 »

I've had too much awesome sex listening to Slayer to vote "No", but my conscience can't allow me to vote "Yes" either.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Omnicide

Slayer
« Reply #3 on: 07 Sep 2006, 04:07 »

Quote from: Hat
I've had too much awesome sex listening to Slayer to vote "No"

surely your head would explode in the attempt?
How the hell can anyone keep a love-on while listening to slayer?

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
Slayer
« Reply #4 on: 07 Sep 2006, 04:49 »

They have about 10 minutes of good music spread out over as many albums.

I felt bad voting them "no" simply on account of that scream in Angel of Death but... well, since most of their discography sucks, I kinda had to.

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
Slayer
« Reply #5 on: 07 Sep 2006, 09:15 »

Henry Rollins said it best..."I like Slayer because that's a band that's sticking to their guns."

Seriously, you could cryogenically freeze them for 1000 years, and before ultimately resigning to take a delivery job for Planet X-press, they'd put out another thrash metal album that would sound like every other Slayer album...

you gotta love it.
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
Slayer
« Reply #6 on: 07 Sep 2006, 10:29 »

I like Slayer. There's nothing wrong with that, right? RIGHT?
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
Slayer
« Reply #7 on: 07 Sep 2006, 11:22 »

*slaps a pair of cuffs on Misereatur*

I'm sorry sir, we are the fun police, and you are about to be savagely beaten.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Slayer
« Reply #8 on: 07 Sep 2006, 12:18 »

Slayer are okay enough for me to own a shirt, but they are really quite awesomely over-rated.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
Slayer
« Reply #9 on: 07 Sep 2006, 12:49 »

Mitch Clem is back bitchz.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Slayer
« Reply #10 on: 07 Sep 2006, 15:23 »

My faith in "Mitch Clem for every occasion"-ism has been reborn.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Grant

Slayer
« Reply #11 on: 07 Sep 2006, 15:31 »

Quote from: Kai
My faith in "Mitch Clem for every occasion"-ism has been reborn.

Any thread with Mitch Clem in it makes it me happy.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
Slayer
« Reply #12 on: 07 Sep 2006, 15:54 »

Slayer has been making the same album with steadily decreasing quality (except for South of Heaven)  for 20 years. Kerry King is an absolutely awful lead guitarist and Reign in Blood is the most overrated metal album ever. It seems to me that they got popular just by goreing and Sataning up the lyrics to attract more 'rebellious' teenagers.

They're not godawful, but why bother when there are so many better thrash bands?
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Bostic

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
    • http://bosticman.com  myspace.com/bosticman
Slayer
« Reply #13 on: 07 Sep 2006, 17:14 »

I like the new album a lot. It's great having Dave back in the band and the songs are much better than the previous two albums. They put on a great show recently in San Jose. There are other thrash bands in the day that had great qualities but they didn't have "it" about their band that gets them to the next level. Dark Angel and Gene Hoglan, the drumming is insane but the sum of all the parts was never quite enough to get them up and over the hump. It is tough being a fan since the very beginning then seeing some less hardcore fans wearing whatever Slayer shirt and not knowing what album Crypts of Eternity is off.

Rebourne

Slayer
« Reply #14 on: 07 Sep 2006, 23:22 »

They have a chromatic sound thing to them that's cool, but man they are stuck in a feedback loop of awful. Christ Illusion was a pitiful record. I don't understand how people can like their lyrics, they are a hypocritical hate fest.

Scytale

Slayer
« Reply #15 on: 08 Sep 2006, 01:38 »

"Show no Mercy" and "Hell Awaits"  are fucking awesome albums. First Slayer song I heard was Black Magic off "Live Undead" I was hooked after the into riff.

Yeah there's better thrash bands (Kreator, Old Sepultura, Dark Angel, Overkill, Sodom etc) but Slayer were one of the first and dare I say the most influential.

If Dark Angel could have afforded decent production, "Darkness Descends" would have killed Reign In Blood it's easily 10* better. Listen to some of those riff's, half of them are burried in the production but damn, greatest thrash album ever no question..

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
Slayer
« Reply #16 on: 08 Sep 2006, 14:43 »

How the fuck has Darkness Descends not been remastered yet? What label were they on anyhow?
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

GuitarJunkie

Slayer
« Reply #17 on: 08 Sep 2006, 15:28 »

Ahhhh they're fun enough.

Scytale

Slayer
« Reply #18 on: 08 Sep 2006, 19:25 »

Quote from: Storm Rider
How the fuck has Darkness Descends not been remastered yet? What label were they on anyhow?

Dark Angel were on Combat Records...

Now their back again, maybe they're catalogue will be re-issued sometime soon...

Raven_1959

• Not quite a lurker
Slayer
« Reply #19 on: 11 Sep 2006, 04:17 »

I personally don't mind Slayer, but I must be the only person who thinks Dave's better in Fantomas.  :S

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
Slayer
« Reply #20 on: 11 Sep 2006, 06:13 »

Thrash metal is basically a poor and tasteless man's death metal. I actually quite like Slayer, have done since I was like 10 but the whole genre is a bunch of idiots with tight tight pants and long Jerry-curls
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

AlexAttack

Slayer
« Reply #21 on: 11 Sep 2006, 06:17 »

There's nothing wrong with Slayer. About 12 years ago I started listening to them and for a thrash band they are very good. I think that most people who actually like metal would be able to make a playlist up that is longer than 10mins and not want to turn it off.
And another thing, Kerry King is a great guitarist with a unique and identifiable soloing style.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
Slayer
« Reply #22 on: 11 Sep 2006, 07:11 »

Quote from: AlexAttack

And another thing, Kerry King is a great guitarist with a unique and identifiable soloing style.

... meaning, off-key at every possible twist and turn?
My Art.

AlexAttack

Slayer
« Reply #23 on: 11 Sep 2006, 07:51 »

... meaning, off-key at every possible twist and turn?[/quote]

No dude. He uses scales that are not always major or minor. He plays over changes using altered, whole tone and diminished scales as well as tritone substitution (swapping the root note of the key for the flat five of the key) at any given opportunity. Sorry to sound like a music nerd but the question was raised.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
Slayer
« Reply #24 on: 11 Sep 2006, 09:57 »

So, in short, off-key.
My Art.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
Slayer
« Reply #25 on: 11 Sep 2006, 11:13 »

Quote from: JimmytheSquid
Thrash metal is basically a poor and tasteless man's death metal.

WHAT?

Dude, I know people who would kill you and feed your corpse to the blackers for saying that.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
Slayer
« Reply #26 on: 11 Sep 2006, 12:36 »

Quote from: BeoPuppy
So, in short, off-key.

Also, Yngwie Malmsteen has rather effectively proven that it's possible to be some kind of musical genius and still suck at writing/playing music that anyone wants to actually listen to. King might as well have gone around Slayer's solos in a more mundane fashion because really they all sound same-y and rather unimpressive.

Soidanae

• Obscure cultural reference
Slayer
« Reply #27 on: 11 Sep 2006, 15:54 »

Quote from: AlexAttack
I think that most people who actually like metal would be able to make a playlist up that is longer than 10mins and not want to turn it off.

I like metal.

Don't like thrash.

I couldn't make a ten-minute slayer playlist I wouldn't be able to turn off.

I'd rather have the deeper, fuller sounds of death and doom.
I believe these are the days of lasers in the jungle, lasers in the jungle somewhere.  Staccato signals of constant information, a loose affiliation of millionaires and billionaires, and baby, these are the days of miracles and wonders.

Scytale

Slayer
« Reply #28 on: 12 Sep 2006, 02:11 »

Thats one of the most retarded things I've read.

Thats like saying Punk rock is the poor man's hardcore.

Thrash is meant to be fast aggressive and in you're face, its not about down-tuned guitars, its not about the vocals or well excuted solo's. It's about the riffs and what makes Slayer a great band is King and Hanneman know how to write riffs.

Go back and listen to Sabbath's "Symptom of the Universe", that's the riff that started Thrash. Maybe then you'll understand something about the genre then...

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
Slayer
« Reply #29 on: 12 Sep 2006, 07:17 »

Quote from: Scytale

Thrash is meant to be fast aggressive and in you're face, its not about down-tuned guitars, its not about the vocals or well excuted solo's. It's about the riffs and what makes Slayer a great band is King and Hanneman know how to write riffs.

Go back and listen to Sabbath's "Symptom of the Universe", that's the riff that started Thrash. Maybe then you'll understand something about the genre then...

1. I never disputed that Slayer are in fact, pretty damn good or the awesomeness of their riffs.

2. I'm really not impressed with Sabbath no matter what they're the forerunners of (Oh man I can hear the angry typing of replies to that already...)

3. I don't really feel the need to justify my distaste for a genre that I find dull despite its "in my face attitude"
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

thepugs

Slayer
« Reply #30 on: 12 Sep 2006, 17:36 »

Quote from: Raven_1959
I personally don't mind Slayer, but I must be the only person who thinks Dave's better in Fantomas.  :S

Fantômas is a beautiful thing.  Beauti-fucking-ful.

Quote from: 10101110

Seriously, you could cryogenically freeze them for 1000 years, and before ultimately resigning to take a delivery job for Planet X-press, they'd put out another thrash metal album that would sound like every other Slayer album...

If you did freeze them, wouldn't their album be exactly the same merely because they've been frozen for 1000 years and haven't had time to change at all?

Slayer = meh.

Scytale

Slayer
« Reply #31 on: 13 Sep 2006, 00:25 »

Quote from: Scytale

1. I never disputed that Slayer are in fact, pretty damn good or the awesomeness of their riffs.

2. I'm really not impressed with Sabbath no matter what they're the forerunners of (Oh man I can hear the angry typing of replies to that already...)

3. I don't really feel the need to justify my distaste for a genre that I find dull despite its "in my face attitude"

I was trying to address you're earlier post and point out that the only thing Thrash has in common with Dm is its stylistic origins...

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
Slayer
« Reply #32 on: 13 Sep 2006, 04:23 »

Quote from: thepugs
If you did freeze them, wouldn't their album be exactly the same merely because they've been frozen for 1000 years and haven't had time to change at all?

Just a lot colder.
My Art.

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
Slayer
« Reply #33 on: 13 Sep 2006, 08:28 »

No, Pugs!  No destroying my analogy with your cold, harsh, calculating logic.  NO!
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

thepugs

Slayer
« Reply #34 on: 13 Sep 2006, 11:47 »

Logic ftw.  Sorry for the analogy-smashing. :P

sAm_vdP

Slayer
« Reply #35 on: 14 Sep 2006, 06:34 »

Well, as we all know

so how could I not like them?
Pages: [1]   Go Up