Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fonts?  (Read 3993 times)

whosdamike

Fonts?
« on: 08 Sep 2006, 18:18 »

Does anyone know where to get some standard comic fonts, especially for onomatopoeia/sound effects?

Sorry if this is crazy off-topic.

logosmonkey

Fonts?
« Reply #1 on: 08 Sep 2006, 18:30 »

not offtopic, this is the comics forum! But http://www.blambot.com is the best site. I use digital strip ...

Matazone

Fonts?
« Reply #2 on: 11 Sep 2006, 01:26 »

I got mine from BlamBot.

I use 'Badaboom' for my sound effects and 'Kid Kosmic' for my lettering. I've not settled 100% with these yet; I'm finding the the lettering can be a bit cramped on the page, so I may try something else.

What do other people use for their lettering?

logosmonkey

Fonts?
« Reply #3 on: 11 Sep 2006, 11:04 »

....digital strip, though I'm sure some people use the pay fonts.. some of them are really nice.

-edit - I realized I started a thought, stopped it, and went on to another without realizing.

67thavenue

Fonts?
« Reply #4 on: 21 Sep 2006, 11:30 »

Yeah, Blombot.  I use millions of fonts for sound effects depending on squishy or solidity or explosiony, but I stick with ACME secret agent for standard dialogue, and a variety of others for pain, stupidity, anger, extreme anger, and extremer anger.

Jamie
67th Avenue

Shishio

Fonts?
« Reply #5 on: 26 Sep 2006, 05:51 »

Justin

Fonts?
« Reply #6 on: 26 Sep 2006, 11:41 »

i've been using blambot, its great, but a friend just showed me acidfonts and they have an insanely huge selection. really, it has driven me to madness.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
Fonts?
« Reply #7 on: 26 Sep 2006, 16:20 »

i've found lots of cool fonts at http://www.1001fonts.com">1001 Fonts. I don't know if they have any that would work for onomatopoeia but they might.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

HFrankenstein

• Emoticontraindication
  • El Bueno!!
    • Hindrances to Progress
Re: Fonts?
« Reply #8 on: 28 Sep 2006, 05:02 »

I'll third on Blambot.  Great selection, and the guy who runs it just oozes professionalism to boot.

I use his Digital Strips font for my lettering, and I kind of wish I didn't, because I get the impression that everyone and their seven-faced hyperdonkey uses it.  I've been using it for the majority of my current project's life, though, so, for consistency's sake, I'm kind of stuck with it.  No great, horrible deal, but it's one thing that I wouldn't mind changing.  There are plenty of other fonts out there, after all.

For onomatopoeia, I just do it by hand with the tablet.  On a light background, I'll use black with a thin, white outline.  On darker backgrounds, white with a black outline.  I also keep sound effects on their own layers and set them to 75% transparency, which helps to subdue the color a bit by forcing it to conform to the general color scheme of the frame.  If you really want to use a font, your best bet is to just play it by ear.  Again, Blambot gots the goods for you.
Hindrances to Progress Games to get in the way of your dreams!
Pages: [1]   Go Up