THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 06:36
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: I need some help  (Read 16336 times)

Mnementh

I need some help
« on: 12 Sep 2006, 10:26 »

So Tommydski, Spinless, and I kicked around an idea for a community driven music review/culture site.  We'll unveil details after the site is up, but right now we're stuck at a very basic stage.  We need a name so that we can register an URL.

Rhythm Method is already taken.

Anyone have any suggestions?

nihilist

I need some help
« Reply #1 on: 12 Sep 2006, 10:43 »

Need any help?  :D

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
I need some help
« Reply #2 on: 12 Sep 2006, 10:45 »

Questionable Sounds?

Also, if you need any writers/editors/handjobs I wanna help out. I have way too much free time.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Mnementh

I need some help
« Reply #3 on: 12 Sep 2006, 10:55 »

Quote from: nihilist
Need any help?  :D

Yup!  I'll pay you the usual fees.
Can you install scoop? (unfortunately, it requires command line access to install, so I can't.)

Misereatur: I don't want to use anything associating it with QC, I feel that would be rather presumptious, since QC is jeph's baby.  Eventually, after we prove that we can update with quality and regularity, I'll ask him to check it out and hope that he endorses it wth a newspost link, but that's a few steps down the road.

As for writing/editing/handjobs, you'll see how the community driven thing works once we get it up and running, in essense everyone will be able to be a writer.

nihilist

I need some help
« Reply #4 on: 12 Sep 2006, 11:00 »

scoop?  Sure.  Just need a domain for it, etc, etc.  Get back to work on that there name thing.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
I need some help
« Reply #5 on: 12 Sep 2006, 11:39 »

Quote from: Mnementh
As for writing/editing/handjobs, you'll see how the community driven thing works once we get it up and running, in essense everyone will be able to be a writer.

Right, those things are awsome, I already write in an Israeli type of community music site.
But you should think about the management. There were some ugly power games in the website I write in lately, and some idiots trying to overthrow the current manager because he locked a thread somewhere.
Management in community sites is tricky, but I trust you'll work it out in the best way. Just trying to give you a heads-up.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Mnementh

I need some help
« Reply #6 on: 12 Sep 2006, 12:02 »

Well, that is one of the beauties of Scoop.  Yes, their can be some power games, but the community is largely self regulating to begin with, so there isn't one person in particular to direct ire against.

I'll explain more later.  It's something I've thought about, and the problem is largely solved.

Night Rocker

I need some help
« Reply #7 on: 12 Sep 2006, 18:07 »

anything more about this website? it sounds interesting and i want to become a better writer and increase my musical taste.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
I need some help
« Reply #8 on: 12 Sep 2006, 18:27 »

How about Media Beat Up?

. . . Y'know, seeing as how your rhythm pun was a no-go.

jcknbl

I need some help
« Reply #9 on: 12 Sep 2006, 18:47 »

I've thought about this sort of thing as well, glad someone is actually doing it.

Well you want something unique that people will remember. Music puns are probably a bad idea. Does the name really need to involve music? You guys are all clever just come up with a little joke and register it. Or take the name from some interesting song lyrics.

The only thing that matters is that people will remember it once they hear it.

And yeah, I'd love to be involved with/write for this thing.

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
I need some help
« Reply #10 on: 12 Sep 2006, 20:05 »

Sound like it'll be quite the site.  I say this mainly because of all the secrecy.  Anything that's kept a secret for the most part is always incredible.

As to names, Caffeine Fueled Listening?

Yeah, I mainly suggested a name to make my post legitimate, not because the name was quality.

Mnementh

I need some help
« Reply #11 on: 12 Sep 2006, 20:20 »

Man I am building up the hype so that you will be disappointed when I leave you guys holding a limp dick of a website. ;)

The way scoop works is that people can be assigned front page rights, so you only have a handful of front page posters.  However, every user can write diaries, which are essestially blog posts which other users can comment on and recommend.  Recommended diaries are uprated into a Recommended Diary column, and front page posters can move them to the front page if they choose.  

Additionally, since every registered can comment on every diary or front page post, there is a rating system, similar to slashdots.  Everyone can rate other comments on a number scale, trolls will be rated low (1) and after several people rate a post low, if no one rates it up, it will be hidden.  People who are consistently rated high (4) will get something called "trusted user status" and gain the ability to rate comments with a zero, after someone receives several zeros an autoban will kick in.

Admins have the ability to review and ensure things aren't being abused, but it is largely self-regulating.

See http://dailykos.com/ and http://www.globalfutbol.com/

soak

I need some help
« Reply #12 on: 12 Sep 2006, 20:45 »

Prepare yourself for terrible punnage -

indie nile

Mobius_Logic

• Emoticontraindication
I need some help
« Reply #13 on: 12 Sep 2006, 20:58 »

Hey, can I help out? I'd really love to be write in some sort of music related venture. I know you don't really know me, and I don't post here often enough for you really to get a feel for my tastes/writing abilities/other relevant things, but it's not like your paying me, so what can you lose? : )

jcknbl

I need some help
« Reply #14 on: 12 Sep 2006, 22:20 »

Oh god. A Daily Kos for music and culture. Between these two sites I will never get anything done again. Instead of "mojo" will recomends on this site constitute "cred"?

Spinless

I need some help
« Reply #15 on: 14 Sep 2006, 12:05 »

Paid. In. Cigarettes.

Praeserpium Machinarum

I need some help
« Reply #16 on: 14 Sep 2006, 12:11 »

How about 'Music is One Rotten Note'?
Decadent and a nice'n'sneaky reference to Squarepusher.
Then again I might just use this for a blog where I yell about music on a semi-regular basis. Or I might not.

Omnicide

I need some help
« Reply #17 on: 14 Sep 2006, 12:15 »

We Are All Prostitutes

(after the song of course. You're good people)

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
I need some help
« Reply #18 on: 14 Sep 2006, 12:19 »

I like 'The Futurist', surprising that's not taken, and Pain in Cigarettes would do in a pinch.

How about:

Music is futile
Ceci ne pas les site
Are you sitting comfortably?
Oversound
Fair trade coffee break
Spork media

Not all those may be entirely serious.

Also, I demand that one of the more indie pop literate people here do a column called 'the twee gardens'. I also demand a series of biographies on gloomy singer-songwriter types entitled 'The Legends of Weepy Hollow'. I also demand I be hired as hard rock and bad pun editor.

On a more serious note, if you need any help with design work, I'm currently at art college, with all the unfettered access to flat screen imacs, thousands of pounds worth of professional software and industrial-grade printing equipment that happy position entails.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
I need some help
« Reply #19 on: 14 Sep 2006, 13:21 »

I've got dibs on a column entitled "Lightsabre Cocksucking Blues."

And tommy, I like these:

full disclosure
don't make plans this friday
mouthpiece
paid in cigarettes
this is our music
closed captioned
printhead
dance this mess around
raised by tigers
finest worksong
the fake headlines
we'll make a lover of you
hold onto your genre
meet me in the dollar bin
who rocks the party?
old fashioned
gripped by the lips
gang language
the futurist

Although it looks like "paid in cigarrettes" is an early leader, I have a couple of suggestions based on hip hop, a genre which always maks for great quotes:

Supreme People
Automatique
World Of Vibrations
Egosonic War Drums
You Know The Science
Secret Splendor
Drunk Without Drinking
Chi City
Benzi Box
No Need For Alarm
Heats For The Kiddies
The World Love Jam
66.6 FM
Burn Hollywood Burn
B Side Wins Again (or, for a Sloan reference, A Sides Win)
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

ruyi

• Beyoncé
I need some help
« Reply #20 on: 14 Sep 2006, 13:56 »

from browsing around on wikipedia:

dysnomia (it's a moon! it's a short-term memory disorder! it's a daemon of lawlessness!)
trench effect
borderline
pica
orgasmic platform
polemic

i may look for more later.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
I need some help
« Reply #21 on: 14 Sep 2006, 15:00 »

It may be just me, but I think it would be cool if the name could avoid any real reference to a specific genre of music: we have erudite people on here willing to write columns who are into pretty much everything from Justin Timberlake to Nurse With Wound via Okkervil River, Big Black, Mayhem, New Model Army and Venetian Snares. The thing has the potential to cover a much wider range of music than any popular review site I can think of, therefore the title, if it references anything, should reference a universal quality of music, or something unrelated to music. I chucked out a few radio and art references, I'm sure others less tired than me could think up more.

Dancing About Architecture maybe?
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Oli

• Cthulhu f'tagn
I need some help
« Reply #22 on: 14 Sep 2006, 15:09 »

Your Taste Sucks.

Oh a more serious note, I am really interested in this and shall think of names over the next few days.

justlisten.org/.net are not site's (.com is). I think that'd be a pretty cool (and universal) name. Shame about the .com being taken though.

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
I need some help
« Reply #23 on: 14 Sep 2006, 15:25 »

Naive Melodies

Shoes and Squirrels

This Is Just A Music Website

Electric Mainline

Radio Cures

Leader of The Pack

Buried With It
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
I need some help
« Reply #24 on: 14 Sep 2006, 16:20 »

'Paid in Cigarettes' is good but maybe a bit "too cool for you" pretentious? I don't know.

I like 'Don't Make Plans This Friday' and 'Meet me in the dollar bin'. They can be used universally in terms of genre, and they would make it sound like a site that loves music and is maybe a bit geeky (which I assume is what it would be).

I'm pretty keen on contributing to this, actually. I could do general reviews and stuff or a NZ music column or something.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
I need some help
« Reply #25 on: 14 Sep 2006, 16:54 »

Oh man this is pretty exciting.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

asyluman

I need some help
« Reply #26 on: 14 Sep 2006, 17:25 »

The Absinthe Spoon

Quaalude Circus

Phonocult

Speakeasy

Down by the Bay

Bellevue Barnyard

Turn up the Truetone

nihilist

I need some help
« Reply #27 on: 14 Sep 2006, 20:50 »

I'd go with phonocult, as it is probably the easiest to affix a domain to.

jcknbl

I need some help
« Reply #28 on: 14 Sep 2006, 21:07 »

Hearing Things
A Lot of Racket
Ears Here
Dancing On A Soapbox
Are You Even Listening?
You Fucking Die! (this is totally stolen from Surfer Rosa)
Murder All The Muses
Turn the Table
Too Drunk to Post
That's Not What Foucault Said...
The Gas Tank

I actually really like "You Fucking Die!" but maybe I'm going crazy.

I also agree with Khar about the genre thing.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
I need some help
« Reply #29 on: 14 Sep 2006, 21:26 »

Upon reflection my favourite tommy one hands down is "finest worksong."
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

The Hammered

I need some help
« Reply #30 on: 14 Sep 2006, 21:51 »

I vote for phonocult.

Mnementh

I need some help
« Reply #31 on: 14 Sep 2006, 22:00 »

haha, I really like "finest worksong" (incidently, perhaps I should start a politics site called "exhuming mccarthy").  "Oddfellows Local 151" might make a good column.

I also like phonocult, dancing about architecture, and paid in cigarettes, among others.  Khar's point is good, genre neutral is best, because as he says, people will write about everything from hiphop to pop to metal.

Phonocult is already taken as a .com

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
I need some help
« Reply #32 on: 14 Sep 2006, 22:35 »

Question: is this going to be just a music review site?  Or is there scope for having reviews of other media as well, such as films/D.V.D.s?  Also, I think it'd be interesting to talk about older records (and whatever else) as well; something akin to Cokemachine Glow's "old favourites" section.  Because people don't just listen to what's newly released.

EDIT: also, the name should be something short.  No longer than three words.  Something that can be: (A) easily turned into a U.R.L.; and (B) heard once and remembered forever.

Mnementh

I need some help
« Reply #33 on: 15 Sep 2006, 09:11 »

Phonoculture.

And Inlander, I wasn't going to go into the realm of tv/film, but the site should  be about more than just music, but music culture as well, so that gives some flexibility.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
I need some help
« Reply #34 on: 15 Sep 2006, 09:13 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
Dancing About Architecture maybe?

Frank Zappa guys, seriously.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Mnementh

I need some help
« Reply #35 on: 15 Sep 2006, 09:23 »

The problem with Paid in Cigarettes and Dancing About Architecture is, while both are neat names, I sure as hell have a hard time spelling Cigarettes and Architecture, so imagine how many problems the unwashed masses would have.

Spinless

I need some help
« Reply #36 on: 15 Sep 2006, 09:52 »

I still say don't worry about those people.
I'm sure we're only in it for the fun. We certainly won't profit, and I doubt we want to do it for fame.

Mnementh

I need some help
« Reply #37 on: 15 Sep 2006, 10:45 »

Well, if done properly I can see it actually doing well, perhaps not profitable, but at least somewhat notable.

Afterall, from what I can tell, the idea is pretty unused (which is hells of odd)

Regardless, the solution.  Mike registered both.  Now one can redirect to the other.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
I need some help
« Reply #38 on: 15 Sep 2006, 11:21 »

i'm going to suggest something. if it sucks, it was a joke; if it rules, i was completely serious.

Flamelian Archive

and if the fish dont take to that bait, i think Paid in Cigarettes is a dope name.

(first suggestion is a reference to 15th century alchemist Nicholas Flamel)
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
I need some help
« Reply #39 on: 15 Sep 2006, 12:41 »

I'd like to help on this as well.
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

Mnementh

I need some help
« Reply #40 on: 15 Sep 2006, 13:15 »

Mike is installing scoop hopefully this evening, I've got to talk to him about ftp and passwords and then I'll play about with the CSS and then we'll be off!

So, I'm actually excited, and I hope the site takes off as a rather serious venture, because oddly enough, there are very few community driven music sites out there.

I mean, Jeph pointed out to me that hipinion is the closest thing to what I want to try.

Spinless

I need some help
« Reply #41 on: 15 Sep 2006, 13:57 »

Appearance.
I don't know anything about the skinning that you mentioned, but I'll help in anyway I can.
Like Khar, I have my connections.

Obviously, avoid the 'business' look, with cold colours and lots of white space and such. The way you described scoop made it sound almost like a pile of diaries, each written by a different person. So I was thinking the pages could have an 'arts&crafts' look about them, with torn paper edges and things, and for lack of a better word, a 'street' feel to them, like stenciled logos and such. That's another thing, it doesn't need a logo, but it might be fun to try a few.

...obviously the site header will say 'Paid in Cigarettes'.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
I need some help
« Reply #42 on: 15 Sep 2006, 14:26 »

I already write for a website as it is, but I'd be curious in dipping in occasionally to write ranty, wanky articles that my editor won't accept (if she'd let me)?
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Spinless

I need some help
« Reply #43 on: 15 Sep 2006, 15:17 »

Mnem, already asked this in gabbly but...

How do we stop people from posting crap articles that would isolate us from the cool kids?

Like I said, if we let just anybody post articles all over the place, there's too much to read. I doubt anybody would have the patience to look through everybody's writing.
So, if we approve a dozen heavier contributors adding to the 'main' body of the site, and keep a seperate forum community, that things would be much smoother and accessible.

The more I think about it, the more I doubt that a large number of contributors would work.

I'll put this another way...

Some people have oppinions that nobody wants to read. Do we really want them posted and having people judge us based on them?

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
I need some help
« Reply #44 on: 15 Sep 2006, 15:39 »

but if someone could effectively argue that eminem is in fact a talented rapper even though he sucks as a person and his music is terrible; wouldnt you want to hear that argument? personally, i love hearing peoples opinions that oppose mine. i like to give people the chance to change my mind.
but i do understand worrying about an overload of mostly useless information. i guess you could say i'm on the fence when it comes to this particular argument.
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
I need some help
« Reply #45 on: 15 Sep 2006, 16:04 »

well said. i agree. i'm not involved in anyway but hopefully my approval means at least a very small something.

Mnementh

I need some help
« Reply #46 on: 15 Sep 2006, 17:47 »

Guys, go look at dailykos, or one of the other scoop sites I linked.  The front page is limited in who can post on it.  I intend to only pick a few people to post on the front page regularly.  I have a good mind of who they are (the handful of people I pitched this idea too), but obviously, over time, new people can assume front page posting, maybe do a poll on a yearly basis to promote new people as others step aside.

As for the personal dairies, well, there will be guidelines and a few limitations (two a day max per person, keep it relavent, can't simply be reposting of a link and news article without any personal analysis), but the point of them is that they are to be rather blog like.  There will be no editing of those.  The front page posters should be discrete enough to not require editing.

I think we are stuck on trying to be overly catchy or gimicky. I'd personally much rather, if I was calling a band to do an interview or something, say "Hi, I'm blah blahlastname from shortername.com" than "Hi, I'm blah blahlast name from "strangenamethatissolongandstrangeyoucantrememberitbutshowsoffhowcoolIam.com"

Anyway, I want to get this up and running so I can show people how the software works, then you might have a better idea of how it's going to happen.

Night Rocker

I need some help
« Reply #47 on: 15 Sep 2006, 18:45 »

did we pick a name yet?

Sleepin with the band

Musically Handless

Speaker Reapers

i try,  i really do guys...

Rizzo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
I need some help
« Reply #48 on: 15 Sep 2006, 19:18 »

I'm pretty keen to contribute some crap. I write for a drinking site and a punk site already but I'd like to write about some of the more gothic/industrial music I'm into as well.
(If anyone is interested, www.punkas.com and www.hangover.co.nz)

I figure since this is a "community" site then it won't be too much of an issue for me to contribute some stuff.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

jcknbl

I need some help
« Reply #49 on: 15 Sep 2006, 23:20 »

Presumably if the site takes off and is filled with a bunch of crap a Recomended List could be set up that would feature diaries that have already been endorsed by readers, allowing people to skip the shit and read only interesting material. I'm pretty sure scoop lets front page posters post other people's diaries so if someone writes some earth shattering review it can be put on the front page.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up