THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 22:09
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why did he have to go crazy?  (Read 3947 times)

Narr

Why did he have to go crazy?
« on: 12 Sep 2006, 18:25 »

So, I'm doing this presentation in my Music History class tomorrow.  My topic was, in essense, modern music.  Because I could go on forever about music post WWII, I decided to narrow it down into the very generic "rock" music.

In the 80s, I'm gonna talk about Michael Jackson, king of Pop rock.  I listened to a bunch of his songs I happened to have on my computer, and began to be very sad.

Why did such a talented artist that made such good music have to go completely batshit insane?  :(

I'm sure there's been other bands that have suffered from similar fates, so please edumacate me on them if you would.  And talk about Michael.

jcknbl

« Reply #1 on: 12 Sep 2006, 18:50 »

Daddy problems.

Also, he likes having sex with boys. He probably always had problem we just didn't find out about them for awhile.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #2 on: 12 Sep 2006, 18:56 »

i think it because he didn't get a real childhood. lots of children stars have had problems, and i think he's another one of them. however, i think there's more than just that because dude got problems.

it is kind of sad though. he is a very talented performer. but he's weird as hell.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #3 on: 12 Sep 2006, 18:56 »

He was forced into show businuess so quickly he never had a chance to be a real kid. And that fucked him up. Bad.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

nuisance

« Reply #4 on: 12 Sep 2006, 19:12 »

Yeah, it adds an air of tragedy to some damn cute and cheery pop songs from those pre-teen years in the Jackson Five.  

I reckon (the nigh identical) 'ABC' and 'I Want You Back' are awesome, also went through a period of major Quincy Jones obsession in my mid-20s and got hooked on 'Off The Wall'.  'Don't Stop Til You Get Enough' and 'Rock With You' are two of my favourite dance tracks ever and the Stevie Wonder-written 'I Can't Help It' is beeeeauuutiful.

I'm not much of a fan of the 80s business, although I still can't fathom how I'm not completely sick of 'Billy Jean'.  It's had little resurgences in the dance community (or communities I've been part of) so many times, comes out at any kind of retro / kitchen sink / mash-up night, etc. been sampled by everyone from Losoul to THE MOTHERUCKING RESIDENTS!?, been obsessed over and dissected to death by all my music-loving friends and it's still awesome.

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
« Reply #5 on: 12 Sep 2006, 19:28 »

Quote from: ironoxide887
...And that fucked him up. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/76/Michael_jackson_bad_cd_cover_1987_cdda.jpg/225px-Michael_jackson_bad_cd_cover_1987_cdda.jpg">.

Brian Majestic

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #6 on: 12 Sep 2006, 22:53 »

It all started shortly after the release of his song "It Don't Matter If You're Black or White (as long as you're under 12)"

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #7 on: 13 Sep 2006, 04:05 »

COS THAT BITCH IS CRAAAAAAAAAAAY-ZAAAAAAAAY
YEAH THAT BITCH IS CRAAAAAAAAAY-ZAAAAAAAAAY

I dunno.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Narr

« Reply #8 on: 13 Sep 2006, 05:06 »

Quote from: nuisance
Yeah, it adds an air of tragedy to some damn cute and cheery pop songs from those pre-teen years in the Jackson Five.  

I reckon (the nigh identical) 'ABC' and 'I Want You Back' are awesome, also went through a period of major Quincy Jones obsession in my mid-20s and got hooked on 'Off The Wall'.  'Don't Stop Til You Get Enough' and 'Rock With You' are two of my favourite dance tracks ever and the Stevie Wonder-written 'I Can't Help It' is beeeeauuutiful.

I'm not much of a fan of the 80s business, although I still can't fathom how I'm not completely sick of 'Billy Jean'.  It's had little resurgences in the dance community (or communities I've been part of) so many times, comes out at any kind of retro / kitchen sink / mash-up night, etc. been sampled by everyone from Losoul to THE MOTHERUCKING RESIDENTS!?, been obsessed over and dissected to death by all my music-loving friends and it's still awesome.
Yeah, no kidding.  That's actually the Michael song I'll be using in my presentation today.  I'm debating whether or not to include a bit of the music video in my presentation, but at this point, I don't think I'll have time and fit it in the length the teacher is going to allow.

nuisance

« Reply #9 on: 13 Sep 2006, 06:07 »

You're aware that song was the first song by a black artist played on MTV?  Might be good for illustrating worthiness beyond just saying it's kinda cool...

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #10 on: 13 Sep 2006, 10:36 »

Right there with you.

I grew up with the Jackson 5ive (yes, I'm that old) and watched Michael Jackson evolve from a talented kid lead singer to a really talented singer and dancer. But somewhere along the way, he lost his mind and seemed to want to become Diana Ross. Then he wanted to become The White Diana Ross. A skin condition, right, uh-huh.

True story: We were watching a thing on TV one time, back when Michael was still immensely popular, and he was receiving some kind of award (probably MTV). They showed clips from all throughout his career, from the Jackson 5ive onward. My son, then four or five years old, turns and asks

"Michael Jackson... used to be... black?"

It's a joke now, but I'm sure my son had never heard it. He was honestly confused trying to resolve the images of early Michael Jackson with the later freakshow.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

Narr

« Reply #11 on: 13 Sep 2006, 10:46 »

You're aware that song was the first song by a black artist played on MTV?  Might be good for illustrating worthiness beyond just saying it's kinda cool...
Ahh, no, I didn't realize that was the first one.  I thought Michael's first song he made a video to was a different one.  Now I wish I'd have mentioned that fact. :(

@ Orbert:

Seriously, the whole skin condition thing is almost comical.  I understand what the skin condition they claimed he had IS, but he bleached his skin white, one way or another.  What's worse is his nose.  I can't believe he's claimed that he never had more than, like, one surgery.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #12 on: 13 Sep 2006, 14:12 »

Quote from: Narr
What's worse is his nose.  I can't believe he's claimed that he never had more than, like, one surgery.

Nah, it was just one really bad one.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

nuisance

« Reply #13 on: 13 Sep 2006, 16:45 »

Quote from: Narr
I thought Michael's first song he made a video to was a different one.

I've seen vids for earlier songs, but 'Billie Jean' was the first one MTV played.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #14 on: 13 Sep 2006, 16:59 »

Haha you people really care about Michael Jackson.

The man has some tolerable, slightly fun but heavily overplayed songs, nothing more.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Rebourne

« Reply #15 on: 14 Sep 2006, 21:42 »

What makes me sad is that Sid Barret went too crazy to make music...

Michael Jackson is just wow... gross...

His dancing and music is awesome though!

chamberk

« Reply #16 on: 15 Sep 2006, 00:17 »

Billie Jean was one of the best songs of the 80s.  I can claim that, being born in the 80s.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #17 on: 15 Sep 2006, 09:06 »

Quote from: Rebourne
What makes me sad is that Sid Barret went too crazy to make music...

Syd.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Rebourne

« Reply #18 on: 16 Sep 2006, 12:50 »

Righto, my bad, thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up