THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 03:13
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: The Wii Thread  (Read 48412 times)

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
The Wii Thread
« on: 13 Sep 2006, 18:16 »

So, in light of the announcement over the weekend that Nintendo is holding Wii-related events in the US, Europe, and Japan tomorrow (Thursday, September 14th), I thought a Wii-related thread would be a good idea.

My gaming-related website of choice, Gamespot.com, has an article up about the predictions of their editors for this event here.

So, predictions for price and release date?
Games you want to see?
Things you want to do with the controller?
Anything else?

Discuss!
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Alegis

The Wii Thread
« Reply #1 on: 13 Sep 2006, 18:27 »

Following announcements on an IRC channel of the jap conference. Well not exactly following, watching tv episodes and i'll check the tab later for good stuff.

No expectations, one would only get dissapointed!

Coolest thing would be lightsaber

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
The Wii Thread
« Reply #2 on: 13 Sep 2006, 20:15 »

they named it after urine lol

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
The Wii Thread
« Reply #3 on: 13 Sep 2006, 20:26 »

I'm just hoping it may gain some actual third-party support, since it has a whole lot of potential. It would be a shame to see it wasted.
Hate, rain on me

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
The Wii Thread
« Reply #4 on: 13 Sep 2006, 20:40 »

I agree, HTF, but I think we've seen with the DS that third party developers can bring great ideas to an unorthodox platform. A big test of this will be the Madden game for the Wii. If you guys haven't already heard, they basically developed an entirely new control system from scratch based around the remote. If it ends up working (and sells well), then EA will probably publishing games that use the Wii well, which considering its size will probably convinced other companies to do the same.

So, as sick as I am of sports games, I am buying the Wii Madden game just to see if the new controls rekindle my interest in the genre.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
The Wii Thread
« Reply #5 on: 13 Sep 2006, 23:01 »

Latest news guys: $250 and November 19th.

However, the New York Times has apparently pulled this article from their website, so it might not be official. We really can't know for sure until we hear iit directly from Nintendo's mouth tomorrow morning.

Valrus

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • moo hoo ha ha
The Wii Thread
« Reply #6 on: 14 Sep 2006, 06:12 »

Nintendo is the new Apple.
Quote from: Johnny C
Whatever you give up for Lent, it better not be your day job.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
The Wii Thread
« Reply #7 on: 14 Sep 2006, 08:47 »

Quote from: Valrus

Hey thats not fair, Ive been saying that around town for like 3 months and everyone gets all,  "I dont play video games".  So gae.
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
The Wii Thread
« Reply #8 on: 14 Sep 2006, 09:53 »

I'm going to have to say that "Nintendo is the new Apple." is the best thing I've heard for a few days. It just sounds right.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Revenge_Therapist

The Wii Thread
« Reply #9 on: 14 Sep 2006, 11:14 »

Well, if everyone doens't play video games, and is getting into Nintendo. You have the gist of them being the new apple. Pre IPod MP3's were for gizmo fetishists (read:geeks), and the average joe felt their operation was beyond his grasp. This was far from the truth, but Apple spent a lot of money to change people's minds and opened up a whole new industry. Nintendo is trying to do this with video games.
I feel bad for Japan though, they have to wait until 12/2, but they do get it for about 70 dollars less.

will: wanton sex god

• Cthulhu f'tagn
The Wii Thread
« Reply #10 on: 14 Sep 2006, 11:37 »

Quote from: Storm Rider
Latest news guys: $250 and November 19th.

However, the New York Times has apparently pulled this article from their website, so it might not be official. We really can't know for sure until we hear iit directly from Nintendo's mouth tomorrow morning.

yah 250 is right, bundled with the wii sports on the 19th of november.

• Not quite a lurker
  • diversion
    • My Blog
The Wii Thread
« Reply #11 on: 15 Sep 2006, 20:33 »

I've seen a lot of whining about the price around the 'Net, and I don't get it. Apparently people wanted two controllers, a classic controller, a bundled game or two, and VC credits. Basically, they wanted Nintendo to give them a 360's worth of value for two Cubes' worth of money. Now they're complaining that Nintendo isn't losing money on their console, and some even suggest they should price it at $150. Twenty bucks more than the DS Lite. Never have I more wanted to be able to punch someone over the Internet than I do now.

[/rant]

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
The Wii Thread
« Reply #12 on: 15 Sep 2006, 22:07 »

Personally, I see no problem with Nintendo skewing the conventional business method and making a profit off the hardware initially. They know people will pay 250 dollars for it, so that's just good economics on their part. I'm a little disappointed extra controllers are so much, but since I'm the only one in my household who plays video games, that won't make much difference since my friends will likely all have their own controllers.

Here's a release date and price list for all regions, for curious parties that are not in North America:

North America: November 19th, $250 US.
Japan: December 2nd, 25,000 yen (approx. $213 US, but no Wii Sports included)
Europe: December 8th, 180 pounds/250 Euros
Australia: December 7th, $400 Australian

Personally, I'm glad to see that Nintendo isn't giving Europe and Australia the shaft as far as release date goes (for those of you who don't know, the PS3 isn't going to be released in Europe until March '07, with no Australian date even announced). From my rudimentary understanding of exchange rates, I believe the Australian and European versions are a little more expensive, but supposedly distribution is not as good in those regions as it is in the US and Japan.

Splunkle

The Wii Thread
« Reply #13 on: 15 Sep 2006, 22:49 »

Usually here in Australia gaming type stuff is about twice what it is in America, even though our dollar is 75 US cents.  So I'm really glad to see the Wii being $400, and launching reasonably soon.  Another awesome thing for us Aussies, and all you Europeans - no regions!  Yaye!  Its all region free!  ^_^

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
The Wii Thread
« Reply #14 on: 15 Sep 2006, 23:01 »

Yeah, it seems like Nintendo decided that they liked the whole region-free thing with the DS and decided that there was no need to have territorial lockout on the Wii either. Which means if there is some absolutely crazy Japanese game that isn't getting released in America that looks like fun, you don't have to buy a second Wii to play it!

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
The Wii Thread
« Reply #15 on: 16 Sep 2006, 02:58 »

Nintendo has made a profit at launch on every one of their systems, so this is not a departure from the norm for them.  If Sony and MS want to give away hardware at a loss then that's their choice.

Also, I have unfortunately heard that the "region-free" thing was a mistake, and that they games will be region-encoded.  I hope that what I read is false, because games are hella expensive over here, so having the option of ordering games from overseas would be excellent.

Alegis

The Wii Thread
« Reply #16 on: 16 Sep 2006, 03:38 »

No. Nintendo was first as well btw and I don't see a reason to call everything that is white of design "OMG ITS APPLE".

I'm wearing an apple shirt today btw.

controllers mighty expensive :(

neomang5

• Curry sauce
  • Machine of Rage and Hate
The Wii Thread
« Reply #17 on: 16 Sep 2006, 10:03 »

Damnit Nintendo, you had to release this too soon for me to have enough money, and too close to christmas for me to buy it when I DO have enough.

Ah well, hopefully it will be worth the wait.
i don't understand why you're implying that i have to come to terms with your crippling failings as a person

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
The Wii Thread
« Reply #18 on: 16 Sep 2006, 10:17 »

Valrus

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • moo hoo ha ha
The Wii Thread
« Reply #19 on: 16 Sep 2006, 20:22 »

Quote from: Alegis

No. Nintendo was first as well btw and I don't see a reason to call everything that is white of design "OMG ITS APPLE".

Nah, I didn't say that because the Wii is going to be white (better see a doctor about that, LAWLZ ROFLCOPTOR KILLYOURSELF); I said it partly because of what Revenge_Therapist said and partly because of the whole "Wii-related events" thing, which to me reeks of Apple's post-Steve Jobs-second-coming "events" and such that generate insane amounts of speculation and interest.

I've sort of given up on the whole console scene, but the Wii is the first console since the PSX that I've given any thought whatsoever to buying; it looks like the first one in a long while to bring any really new ideas to the table, though maybe I'm just buying Nintendo's hype. Also, because I think it's just so fucking fun to follow a company like Apple is now and Nintendo may become, where everyone wonders what they're going to do next and all they have to do is announce that they're going to make an announcement to whip everyone into a lather.

Of course, I can do that without buying a Wii, so... eh.
Quote from: Johnny C
Whatever you give up for Lent, it better not be your day job.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
The Wii Thread
« Reply #20 on: 16 Sep 2006, 20:58 »

Quote from: Storm Rider
http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=24981977&sid=6157671

According to a Nintendo exec, it is.

that was Sept 14th.  on Sept 15th this article was published:

http://www.eurofusion.net/fullnews.php?subaction=showfull&id=1158342156&ucat=11&archive=

I mean, I hope that it is region-free.  If so then Nintendo really need to make a definite statement about it and stop conflicting each other, because I know that it's a feature a lot of people will like.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
The Wii Thread
« Reply #21 on: 16 Sep 2006, 21:21 »

It certainly would better for you guys in Aussieland, so I hope they do it.

Also, a big deal for those of you who didn't already know: Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess will be there on Day 1, and from what I've read, they've really managed to make the new control scheme work with it.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
The Wii Thread
« Reply #22 on: 17 Sep 2006, 15:33 »

I like how Nintendo can sell systems for significantly less than the competition yet still make a profit on the systems. There's a reason why they've been the most steady and long lasting in the businuess, and that's because they know their shit.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

• Not quite a lurker
  • diversion
    • My Blog
The Wii Thread
« Reply #23 on: 18 Sep 2006, 05:45 »

Quote from: Alegis

Remember the original iMac? Remember the translucent N64? Yeah, Nintendo's been imitating apple since then.

Jenno

• Furry furrier
The Wii Thread
« Reply #24 on: 19 Sep 2006, 00:47 »

Remember the transparent gameboy?

Aztex

• Balloon animal serial killer
The Wii Thread
« Reply #25 on: 21 Sep 2006, 05:07 »

ack... $400 Aussie for the Wii Sports combo pack...

i think my friend will buy and extra Wiimote and Zelda, and i'll get Red Steel and we're going to split price of the Wii until we get more money.

nihilist

The Wii Thread
« Reply #26 on: 21 Sep 2006, 12:51 »

The 360 is the first purchase, because BioShock is looking to be a hellishly sweet game.  After that, I may go with a Wii.  Who knows?  I certainly wouldn't cough up for a PS3, though.  *smash*

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
The Wii Thread
« Reply #27 on: 21 Sep 2006, 19:09 »

I agree dude.  Now that the Wii isn't such a snap-purchase price I am seriously thinking about getting a 360 first and waiting for a few more games to come out for the Wii / to see if there are any initial hardware problems.  The 360 will get a price drop around the time that the ps3 and Wii are released, so that should make the idea even more appealing.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
The Wii Thread
« Reply #28 on: 21 Sep 2006, 19:26 »

Quote from: est
The 360 will get a price drop around the time that the ps3 and Wii are released, so that should make the idea even more appealing.

Not likely. Microsoft is planning on offering bundles instead of price drops, because Sony has already made it so they don't have to. $400 still looks reasonable compared to $600, so MS isn't going to bother.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
The Wii Thread
« Reply #29 on: 21 Sep 2006, 22:11 »

The general buzz from the gaming websites I read are pretty much concurrent with that; it doesn't look like Microsoft is planning on cutting the price before the holiday season. They could conceivably do a pack-in with Gears of War though, which is apparently their 'killer app' until Halo 3 hits, and that's going to be released the week before the PS3 and Wii launch.

I've never been much of a shooter guy, so I'm more excited for BioShock, Assassin's Creed, and Lost Odyssey. Still, I don't regret buying my 360 based on the lineup it has at this point. I'm definitely buying a Wii, but I'll probably wait until after all the holiday craziness dies down and a few more games come out beyond the launch lineup. I will not buy a PS3 unless the price drops to at least 400, and even then it had better have some damn good games that I can't already play on my 360. Sony has far more to prove to me at this point than either Microsoft or Nintendo.

nihilist

The Wii Thread
« Reply #30 on: 25 Sep 2006, 11:22 »

See, with the majority of dev. firms going multi-platform, I'm not sure why I'd bother with a PS3.  System costs more, games cost more.  I'll get the same thing on a 360 for $10 less?  Sounds good to me.

The Wii...  I'm still thinking about it, just for Mario.  I still play SMB2.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
The Wii Thread
« Reply #31 on: 25 Sep 2006, 23:20 »

The Tokyo Game Show showcasing White Knight Story and FFXIII shifted me more towards "Well, I probably will get a PS3....in a few years..."

It's still not high on my to do list. And with Sony saying they -MIGHT- have a million PS3s shipped to North America by the end of the year, it's not high on Sony's priorities to get me one.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
The Wii Thread
« Reply #32 on: 25 Sep 2006, 23:44 »

Speaking of which, Nintendo has announced that they will have approximately 1 million Wii consoles in the North American market on launch day. Compared to the speculated 400 thousand for the PS3 and the 330,000 for the 360, it looks like Nintendo was much more streamlined with their production process. It's kind of surprising they delayed the launch until after the PS3 if they're going to get that many; they probably could have released it a week earlier and not had much less supply.

HFrankenstein

• Emoticontraindication
  • El Bueno!!
    • Hindrances to Progress
Re: The Wii Thread
« Reply #33 on: 28 Sep 2006, 07:40 »

Think of it this way: PS3 comes out, sells out by the time Wii comes out.  Now, you've got all these hungry nextgen mongers aching for something to spend money on, and here comes the Wii in plentiful supply.  I daresay their decision to release Wii two days after the PS3 was a calculated one.
Hindrances to Progress Games to get in the way of your dreams!

nihilist

« Reply #34 on: 28 Sep 2006, 13:11 »

Nextgen mongers will go for a 360, not a Wii.  A Wii is for somebody who just likes to game on a normal TV.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #35 on: 28 Sep 2006, 19:01 »

So, everybody that's not completely loaded (with money).
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

nihilist

« Reply #36 on: 28 Sep 2006, 20:38 »

Losers, you mean?

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #37 on: 28 Sep 2006, 21:50 »

I have a 360, but not a high-def TV. I'm weird.

But really, I could end up owning all three consoles this generation.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #38 on: 29 Sep 2006, 13:50 »

yeah this is the only time during a console war where i'm actually really looking forward to things from each concole enough to want to buy one of each. although, which i'll get first and when i'll be able to afford such a thing, i don't know. i don't have a hi-def tv either so that's an investment i'll eventually have to make.

edit:
also, ia ia cthulhu f'tagn! 500 posts. thank you for making "cthulhu f'tagn" a title whoever is in charge of that.
« Last Edit: 29 Sep 2006, 13:52 by Scandanavian War Machine »
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

mrtuesday42

« Reply #39 on: 29 Sep 2006, 14:38 »

first post on this...the Wii is the only console i think is worth squat this go round...360=glorified xbox with wireless support...ps3=wtf...wii is the only one that is truly original i mean come on where else can u swing a remote and have it do something beside hit ur family members in the head? im totally camping out and being number 1 in line for the Wii WOOT!!!

Stifled Dreams

« Reply #40 on: 29 Sep 2006, 14:54 »

The Kirby stained glass window I'm making at school will probably convince my parents to buy me a Wii for Hanukkah. Wheeee.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #41 on: 29 Sep 2006, 19:17 »

The Kirby stained glass window I'm making at school will probably convince my parents to buy me a Wii for Hanukkah. Wheeee.

I'm not sure if it's a bad thing that I want one of those. I'm nearly 18 years old.

Rizzo

• R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #42 on: 29 Sep 2006, 21:45 »

What's the shame in that? I'm 19 and I want one too...
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #43 on: 29 Sep 2006, 22:42 »

A Kirby stained glass window, not a Wii.

Rizzo

• R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #44 on: 30 Sep 2006, 00:41 »

Yes... and?
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #45 on: 30 Sep 2006, 20:08 »

first post on this...the Wii is the only console i think is worth squat this go round...360=glorified xbox with wireless support...ps3=wtf...wii is the only one that is truly original i mean come on where else can u swing a remote and have it do something beside hit ur family members in the head? im totally camping out and being number 1 in line for the Wii WOOT!!!

Sometimes I forget we're in the internet and have to be forcibly reminded.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

mrtuesday42

« Reply #46 on: 02 Oct 2006, 13:10 »

hey...not sure what that was supposed to mean...was it becuase i said woot? what youve never said that in real life? i mean come on i use it all the time along with pwned...tis a great thing...i didnt even say w00t...so if you get all pissy bout that well maybe you shouldnt use the internet.

HFrankenstein

• Emoticontraindication
  • El Bueno!!
    • Hindrances to Progress
« Reply #47 on: 02 Oct 2006, 14:28 »

I think he was referring to how - I guess you could say - emphatic you seem to be about your opinion, along with your liberal use of such vile truncations as u and ur.  Your emotional response to his comment is also indicative of these forums' cyberexistence.  No one was getting pissy, I'm sure he was just kidding around.  R3l4x0rz.

Okay, I'm done being off-topic now.  Karma, forgive me.
Hindrances to Progress Games to get in the way of your dreams!

Daphoid

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #48 on: 27 Oct 2006, 10:04 »

I'm going to smash the "omg nintendo is for kids" argument right here (even though anyone with half a brain knows it's true. GTA and shooters are not the only games on the market, they're also not the only games that adults want to play...)

ANYWAYS, I can think of eight friends (all over the age of 22) that not only want a Wii, but have pre-ordered it and plan to stand in line with me to pick it up. Even more insanity is that some of them are OMG, GIRLS!

I read an interesting post the other day stating

A lot of people post about the Wii being for kids, or that Nintendo's games are for children. If you think about it most of those complainers are probably high school students under the age of 17. Also at their age the only cool games are Grand Theft Auto / Counter Strike / Any First Person Shooter / Blood & Guts Galore / Tits and Ass, game. If it doesn't have that, it's "for kids" and probably rated E for Everyone.

Ironically, as you get older, the games that are fun are those games that don't have T & A (because you probably have a real girlfriend with those :)) and you like the games that are pure fun!

To each their own though!

- D

nihilist

« Reply #49 on: 27 Oct 2006, 21:54 »

Sorry, but I'm not jazzed up for a Wii.  I may get one, but I really don't care one way or the other.  I'm probably going to snag a 360 after the holidays because there are a few games for the system that I want.  I'm a rabid anti-Sony person; not only do I refuse to buy any of their stuff, I will run around and tell everybody else not to buy it as well.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up