THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 19:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Eels Fan...  (Read 3276 times)

Mogman

Eels Fan...
« on: 15 Sep 2006, 06:10 »

Okay, so slightly odd question, but for quite a whiles, the only thing i can stand lissening to is the Eels

Everything else i lissen to, is just, i dunno, all sounds the same music that is half-hearted and contrived and lyrics that a ferret on crystal myth probally co-wrote...

Probally breaking the first rule about being a hipster, despite the fact i'm a lazy grunt who aint elitist, i've just stopped caring... Anyways, that aside, curious if people can hook me up with something?

Anyways, short of getting off my lazy arse and learning to play an instrument/write songs, curious if anyone had a few suggestions (Aside from the obvious -.-)

TrueNeutral

Eels Fan...
« Reply #1 on: 15 Sep 2006, 08:00 »

I'm a huge Eels fan myself.

Personally, I find that Beck sometimes has nicely similar stuff. I like his album Mutations a lot.

A lot of Eels fans like Tom Waits.

Other than that, I can only recommend you look up E's solo albums and his stunt as MC Honky.

Spinless

Eels Fan...
« Reply #2 on: 15 Sep 2006, 13:20 »

Mogman, I'm sorry to hear that.
I hope that one day you can find other things that you enjoy which are not the Eels  or other soundalikes.

spiritfingrs

Eels Fan...
« Reply #3 on: 15 Sep 2006, 14:52 »

I think the Eels are widely under-appreciated. If you like the Eels, maybe you should read about who all has influenced their music, and start from there. I had an old roomate that had everyone of their albums. Here are some other things that he liked that you may enjoy as well:

~ Beck (Sea Change & Mutations specifically)
~ Moldy Peaches (This is hit or miss. I love them)
~ Sonic Youth
~ Air (Talkie Walkie)
~ Mike Doughty (Rockity Roll)
~ Ween (Chocolate & Cheese)
~ Dr. Frank (probably a miss with any other Eels fan)
~ Dr. Octogon
~ Regina Spektor
~ Lou Reed
~ Tom Waits (Closing Time)
~ Muddy Waters
~ Burning Airlines
~ Comet
~ REM (I think the co-wrote a few Eels songs)
~ Daniel Johnston (I think the Eels covered some of his songs)

There is much more than that, but I dont have the time to list them. Really, a lot of those bands are not even close to being similar to the Eels. Anyway, thats all I got. Good luck.

Mogman

Eels Fan...
« Reply #4 on: 15 Sep 2006, 17:22 »

well, yeah, similarities aint really key i suppose, mainly just looking for bands who can act like musicians (Sorry, not act like, i mean who ARE musicians) and actually write some decent songs and lyrics...

Mainly just like songs with heart that dont sound as though they written by some monkey to make a dollar, but were made for themselves with time and effort...

Anyways thanks for the suggestions, might check a few of em out today, or sooner or later...
Though, i must say i'm disappointed no one told me to go screw myself, and i was so looking forward to doing so =P

Well, later guys

(oh well, i suppose some people weren't meant to go around, jumping from band to band, damn monogamous organs) >.>

El Opium

Eels Fan...
« Reply #5 on: 15 Sep 2006, 19:27 »

I might not listen to eels anymore but if I was locked in a room that contained only major-label records they would be one of the bands I would listen to.

elcapitan

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
Eels Fan...
« Reply #6 on: 16 Sep 2006, 02:14 »

Quote from: TrueNeutral
Other than that, I can only recommend you look up E's solo albums and his stunt as MC Honky.

Hahaha, I forgot all about that one.

"I got THREE turntables and TWO microphones..."

spiritfingrs

Eels Fan...
« Reply #7 on: 19 Sep 2006, 10:00 »

Quote from: tommydski
that's a nice list sir.

burning airlines is an odd one though.
great band but i don't see the similarities.

Burning Airlines is an odd one. There aren't any similarites to the Eels, but a lot of people I know kinda dig them. You know, I really didn't get that into them though. I pretty much only play it when I have to clean my apartment. That or Deerhoof, say what you will...

arcat

Eels Fan...
« Reply #8 on: 19 Sep 2006, 10:16 »

You could go listen to Tommy Walter's ditching-the-eels project Abandoned Pools..But you probably wouldn't feel any better and you might well feel worse :(
Pages: [1]   Go Up