THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 10:58
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: top 5 shows  (Read 13032 times)

FreshJive787

• Furry furrier
top 5 shows
« on: 16 Oct 2006, 19:19 »

ok, so i thought it would be cool to hear what the QC boars have to say about their favorite shows they've been to.

here are mine in no particular order

1. Cursive - 14 minute version of burst and bloom
2. The Album Leaf - Jimmy Lavelle lovin
3. The Lymbyk Systym - Jew Fro
4. The Blood Brothers - funny lookin scene kids
5. Chin Up Chin Up - never had heard of this band before, i was severly rocked

go!

soak

Re: top 5 shows
« Reply #1 on: 16 Oct 2006, 19:24 »

1. Broken Social Scene - unfathomably awesome, a wall of sound
2. The Cure - Robert Smith kicks ass
3. Sigur Ros + Amiina - if you've been you know
4. The Shins - just nailed every song and the opening band was the Brunettes!
5. Tortoise - like nothing else, this is why I miss livid

FreshJive787

• Furry furrier
« Reply #2 on: 16 Oct 2006, 19:27 »

oh man, sigur ros and aniima, their show sold out when they came to denver last and i couldnt afford the ones people were selling on ebay and such.

i cant even imagine how amazing that show must have been.

greenMonkey

• The Tickler
  • WOO
« Reply #3 on: 16 Oct 2006, 19:30 »

Saw them in May.  Two and a half hours of pure, un-sullied beauty.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #4 on: 16 Oct 2006, 19:32 »

In order? Hmmm. I don't know that I've even BEEN to five shows, not counting local crap.

1. Mission of Burma, July 2006
2. Warped Tour, August 2006 (Specifically Vaux, hellogoodbye, The Casualties, and Helmet)
3. Green Day/My Chemical Romance, April 2005
4. Dave Matthews Band, August 2003 (say what you want, they have a good live show, and the ticket was free)

I'd kill to see Sigur Ros, you guys are fucking lucky.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

soak

« Reply #5 on: 16 Oct 2006, 19:33 »

Quote from: greenMonkey

how cool were the projections? I want to get the birds on the wire tattooed on my upper arm

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
« Reply #6 on: 16 Oct 2006, 19:37 »

Converge in a freaking Moose Lodge in Pittsburgh this summer.
Modern Life Is War/Ignite, again in Pittsburgh last month.
My friends' band, The Pax Cecilia playing with Circle Takes The Square and Junius back in February.
Narcissus/Embodyment sometime in Ohio a few years ago
Zao and Burn It Down in a barn in Hershey, PA on Halloween about 4 years ago...

I've been to a bunch more, but those are some big ones that stick out.
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

greenMonkey

• The Tickler
  • WOO
« Reply #7 on: 16 Oct 2006, 19:47 »

Quote from: greenMonkey

how cool were the projections? I want to get the birds on the wire tattooed on my upper arm

The lights and projections were pretty cool, but the best parts were by far the music and watching the musicians play.  Jonsi shredded a cello bow, and Amiina was just great too.

I highly approve of your tattoo idea.

Maedros

« Reply #8 on: 16 Oct 2006, 20:01 »

1) Mudvayne w/ Shadows Fall, Trivium, In Flames
2) Rob Zombie w/ Lacuna Coil
3) Rob Zombie w/ Mastadon
4) DragonForce w/ Horse the Band, All That Remains
5) Fear Factory w/ Strapping Young Lad and a couple other bands I can't remember.

FreshJive787

• Furry furrier
« Reply #9 on: 16 Oct 2006, 20:06 »

dragonforce sure is fun live.

but they played nearly a 2 hour set when i went to see them, it got kind of tiring.

La Creme

« Reply #10 on: 16 Oct 2006, 21:11 »

I'll talk about 'em over time, the great concerts are all pretty good long stories as well:

--Eels - No Strings Attached Tour opening show at the Roxie--

-------The Eels tour previous to this one was the Eels with strings tour, to which old folks flocked like flies to shit. This simile is kinda silly here, seeing as Eels w/Strings was Pluto-far from shit. Point is, E in a suit, a string quartet, 3 or 4 songs out of 30 with any electric instrument, all sums up to friendly for the parents of kids who got their parents into the Eels via "Daisies" or "Blinking Lights".
--------So when E, The Chet, some new drummer (I love the turmoil since Butch has been gone, almost makes up for him leaving), and Big Al from the last tour in a "Security" shirt with no instrument walked on stage in black bomber pilot suits with big facial hair, you could feel a slight tremor shift throught the crowd. Starting with the first ear-shattering crush of the first 4 minutes of improvisational sludge and ending after the second song, "Old Shit/New Shit", every single person over the age of 30 seemed to have filed out to the entrance area, or out of the club altogether. (by the way, for any Eels fans, you know all those little sounds in "Old Shit" that are really buried in the wall of sound? Your ears splitting made those sounds live. The band didn't even need to make em.) The excellent noisefest continued on for a good hour and a half, with lots of great features, like a cover of "Jesus Gonna Be Here" with the king mother fucking Chet singing, and a 15-minute "Not Ready Yet" that totally broke down in the middle in a rad way, and that fast, punky version of "I Like Birds" they've done a lot since the Souljacker touring that never stops being awesome .
-------Afterwards, in the car, talking to my mom and brother and friends who came, but not hearing much, I discovered that the conversations my mom had after leaving for the entry room all centered around people saying these things: "The sound man fucked up, they didn't mean to be this loud." and "I love the Eels but I don't know about this 'new direction' they're going in." I love old people trying to make excuses for how goddamned old they are.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #11 on: 16 Oct 2006, 21:19 »

1) Hum at the 930 club in DC
2) Broken Social Scene (w/J. Mascis guest appearance for "Almost Crimes") in Northampton, MA
3) Mercury Rev at 930
4) Arcade Fire opening for the Unicorns
5) Mogwai at Pearl St. in Northampton
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Mikendher

« Reply #12 on: 16 Oct 2006, 21:23 »

My top two are all I can think of right now:

The Spinto Band (with the Lovely Feathers as opener)
Broken Social Scene

FreshJive787

• Furry furrier
« Reply #13 on: 16 Oct 2006, 22:33 »

man, alot of people have seen broken social scene live, i feel so unblessed to not have seen them.

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #14 on: 16 Oct 2006, 22:45 »

1. Pixies in Winnipeg (It was supposed to have been the first show in 12 years, then those assholes in Minneapolis snuck in at the last minute. But it was in Manitoba, and I had just turned 18 13 days previous. I keep the stub in my wallet still)
2. Animal Collective in Minneapolis (the trip back was freaky)
3. Of Montreal (I'm pretty sure I am in love with them all)
4. Calvin Johnston (It was his first trip back in ND since the last time he was here, which was when he almost died in a car/van accident. He shook my hand and remembered my name after the show. I suddenly understood why all the chicks fainted when they saw the Beatles. Also there were 23 people there)
5. The Gossip (Another show with like 23 people. THEY WERE SO FUN. Basement dance party! Beth Ditto signed a record for me for my friend who is serving in Afghanistan right now)
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

pat101

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • A Minor Mass
« Reply #15 on: 17 Oct 2006, 00:01 »

This is in no real order.

1.) Arcade Fire w/ Bell Orchestre and Wolf Parade at the Burton Cummings Theatre.
I think this was my first truly GREAT show, I had been to several before this but nothing quite as mind-blowing. I had floor seats, lost my brother and friend, and totally didn't care. I was in love with the Arcade Fire album and was totally blown away by their live performance. It was all in all a delightful night (even if I did end up getting dumped after the concert, I really didn't care)

2.) Intonation Festival 2005 in Chicago. My first major festival and it really was great, I saw a TON of great performances Tortoise, Les Savy Fav, Broken Social Scene, Go! Team, Hold Steady, Decemberists, DFA1979 and well a TON more. I had a great time in a city I had never been to before, I enjoyed it so much I made sure I came back for the Pitchfork festival next year.

3.) Pitchfork Festival 2006 in Chicago. Hotter, more people, and MORE bands I loved than the year before. On top of that I made the trip this year with two of my best friends, my brother and my girlfriend. It was divine.

4.) Wilco in Winnipeg at the Burton Cummings Theatre. PROBABLY my all-time favorite single show, Wilco being one of my all-time favorite bands and the show being on Canada Day no less. They put on a better show then I could have ever dreamed of. It was heavenly

5.) Hold Steady In Winnipeg at the West-End Cultural Centre. A very small venue at perhaps half capacity still made for a dynamite show, I got drunk with my friends and screamed along to every word, what more could one ask for?

Just wait I'll actually think about it and totally change my mind.

elcapitan

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #16 on: 17 Oct 2006, 04:15 »

In no particular order:

- Tool, at the Canberra Theatre in 2002
- Machine Gun Fellatio, at the Fez Club in Sheffield in 2003. The crowd consisted of about thirty regulars, five Aussies down the front going nuts, and a very drunk guy at the back who kept yelling "FELLATIO!" Memorable.
- Roots Manuva, ANU Bar, 2005.
- Paul van Dyk, at the Opera House in Bournemouth, 2003
- The Herd, ANU Bar, 2006.

TrueNeutral

« Reply #17 on: 17 Oct 2006, 05:09 »

I'll talk about 'em over time, the great concerts are all pretty good long stories as well:

--Eels - No Strings Attached Tour opening show at the Roxie--

-------The Eels tour previous to this one was the Eels with strings tour, to which old folks flocked like flies to shit. This simile is kinda silly here, seeing as Eels w/Strings was Pluto-far from shit. Point is, E in a suit, a string quartet, 3 or 4 songs out of 30 with any electric instrument, all sums up to friendly for the parents of kids who got their parents into the Eels via "Daisies" or "Blinking Lights".
--------So when E, The Chet, some new drummer (I love the turmoil since Butch has been gone, almost makes up for him leaving), and Big Al from the last tour in a "Security" shirt with no instrument walked on stage in black bomber pilot suits with big facial hair, you could feel a slight tremor shift throught the crowd. Starting with the first ear-shattering crush of the first 4 minutes of improvisational sludge and ending after the second song, "Old Shit/New Shit", every single person over the age of 30 seemed to have filed out to the entrance area, or out of the club altogether. (by the way, for any Eels fans, you know all those little sounds in "Old Shit" that are really buried in the wall of sound? Your ears splitting made those sounds live. The band didn't even need to make em.) The excellent noisefest continued on for a good hour and a half, with lots of great features, like a cover of "Jesus Gonna Be Here" with the king mother fucking Chet singing, and a 15-minute "Not Ready Yet" that totally broke down in the middle in a rad way, and that fast, punky version of "I Like Birds" they've done a lot since the Souljacker touring that never stops being awesome .
-------Afterwards, in the car, talking to my mom and brother and friends who came, but not hearing much, I discovered that the conversations my mom had after leaving for the entry room all centered around people saying these things: "The sound man fucked up, they didn't mean to be this loud." and "I love the Eels but I don't know about this 'new direction' they're going in." I love old people trying to make excuses for how goddamned old they are.

New direction? Haha. HAHA. Souljacker, anyone?

I FUCKING MISSED THEIR NO STRINGS ATTACHED SHOWS IN HOLLAND. FUCK YOU, COLLEGE. I WILL NEVER FORGIVE YOU.

Oddly enough, the best shows I've ever seen are all local bands that nobody will ever hear of.

Flat Tyres (whose bassist rivals Les Claypool), JoJo & The Marschmellows, some band whose name I cannot recall who played funky rock versions of soul and jazz music, and some other cover band whose name I cannot remember because I was too drunk, but their singer had recently left and they invited people on stage to sing the songs; and I got to sing Pearl Jam's "Alive" and people actually loved it! They actually said that when they get a new singer I should come by and do guest vocals; BUT THEN I FORGOT WHO THEY WERE.
« Last Edit: 17 Oct 2006, 05:18 by TrueNeutral »

AlexAttack

« Reply #18 on: 17 Oct 2006, 05:36 »

1)The Queers- nov 2005 Marquee in Sydney. They played nearly two hours and pretty much didnt stop inbetween, maybe twice.

2)The Queers-nov 2005 Oxford Tavern in Wollongong. Same tour but in a tiny pub. Awesome show but for totally different reasons because there were about 30 people there. We shouted requests and they actually played them. I love shows where i know every word to every song.

3)A.F.I- UNSW Roundhouse. I stayed around after my last class at uni drinking at the bar until they came on. Say what you like about them but they put on a great show. Also it was really cool that they played heaps of old stuff, not sure that the younger fans quite knew they used to be hardcore.

4)Chixdiggit- late 2005 Excelsior Hotel in Sydney. Another great pop punk band. Hung out with the guys in the band after the show. I liked that they didnt act like big rockstar jerks like the idiots in Dropkick Murpheys. I mean who asks for papers, rolls a joint at the table and then leaves?? wanker.

5)Spearhead 2002 Enmore Theatre in Sydney. The whole place was jumping. I dont even like hip hop but the band was so cool. Their bass player is offically the hippest dude ever.

elcapitan

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #19 on: 17 Oct 2006, 05:43 »

Oh man, Spearhead rock. I saw them play at the ANU just under three weeks ago, and they were awesome. My best mate and I went and had a chat to the bassist and drummer after the show - great guys, and incredibly talented musicians.

The Eyeball Kid

« Reply #20 on: 17 Oct 2006, 07:01 »

3)A.F.I- UNSW Roundhouse. I stayed around after my last class at uni drinking at the bar until they came on. Say what you like about them but they put on a great show. Also it was really cool that they played heaps of old stuff, not sure that the younger fans quite knew they used to be hardcore.

Wow. You go to my uni, though we have quite different musical tastes.

I've seen waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy too many local shows. Top 5, iI guess.

1. Fiery Furnaces - the Gaelic Club, 2005- WOW. Total blending of all their songs. Complete magnificence, with Eleanor Friedberger as the centre of the universe. so much better then the second time i saw them

2. The Hold Steady, St Jerome's Laneway Festival (The Basement) - March 2006.  I couldn't hear the lyrics, which are the best part on record, but the band was so loud and ROCK AND ROLL that i was just yelling and moshing and grabbing Craig Finn's hand. and i'd got laid the night before

3. The Grates- Spectrum, the Annandale (twice), Come Together Festival, The Metro, The Enmore (last Saturday) - 2005 - 2006: Can't pick just one. Not the most sophisticated band, but the nicest and most energetic. Metro was probably the best 'cause Panda Band supported and that meant I got to sing along to Eyelashes, which is always good. Grates shows always end with me sweaty, happy, and in love with them all over again.... *insert name dropping shit about hanging out with them heaps of times*. First time I saw them i ended up trapped in a lift with 15 people, so that might be the best... but last weekend i got to make fun of the dude from the Vines...

4. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Homebake, 2004. My first Australian show and i was 5 FEET FROM NICK CAVE. Amazing stuff. He was great last year at Luna Park too.. .just epic epic music, with Warren Ellis sawing away like a madman

5. Architecture in Helsinki, New Buffallo and Sparrow Hill- The Kirk, 2004: I can hardly remember this gig- it was back when AiH were just a live band. Everybody was packed into an old church, and all the music was just... gentle and happy and fun. Just a real good memory. I miss AiH giging around Sydney and wish they'd come back

Runners up: White Stripes, last year's BDO, Belle & Sebestian, REM...

alonelyargonaut

« Reply #21 on: 17 Oct 2006, 07:24 »

in no order

Dave Matthews-Alpine Valley
Of Montreal-the Blind Pig
Beirut-some random place in Urbana
Mike Doughty-The Magic Stick
Elf Power-Mac's Bar

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #22 on: 17 Oct 2006, 08:10 »

all tomorrow's parties 2002, camber sands

You missed out the best part, Shellac playing first all three days. God that made me happy.

For another four:
Submission Hold at the Occii, Amsterdam. I went there purely to see them play, and it was so completely worth it.
Guapo, Birds of Delay, Circle, Ultralyd, Like A Kind of Matador and Jazzfinger at the Holy Trinity Church, Leeds. With the exception of Uktralyd all of the bands were incredible, playing at their very best. And that venue, well, it makes anything sound better.
La Quiete, Oxes, Playing Enemy, Daitro, Eaves, Tantrum, Funeral Diner, Analema and more at Summerslam festival, Saarlouis. Das skramzball, screamo Italiano!, the claw... so much boozy fun.
Driven Down, Snowblood, Indicator, The Devils, Stand, Charlie Don't Surf, Buzzkill and more at Skipton Town Hall. I'm completely cheating by lumping all the Skipton gigs together but there was no way I could choose between them and it was hard enough deciding to go for one of them over all the other classic moments from UKHC a few years ago like Imbalance's last gig or the first Send More Paramedics show. These gigs were incredible, the way hardcore should be. Diverse line-ups, kids (and I mean kids) going crazy for the music but not in a macho way, no posing, no fashion, just a pure DIY ethic and some of the best hardcore ever made. Almost all of the bands that played them have split up now, and the scene's just not what it once was.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #23 on: 17 Oct 2006, 09:04 »

1. Blink 182, Nottingham Ice Arena, December 2003 - Their last UK gig to date. I never expected this gig to be at all good. Everything I'd seen of Blink's live stuff had been terrible. On the night...they completely blew me away. They went from a terrible punk group to a completely competent act. Not just competent, brilliant. They did a glorious medley of older songs they didn't have time to play in full (like 'Dumpweed' and 'Man Overboard'), their between song banter was actually really funny, the stuff from Untitled was soaring, and best of all was 'Dammit,' the set closer. A stunning show.
2. Audiogene, Mid-2003, some church in the Nottinghamshire suburbs - One of their final gigs before they broke up (having STILL not delivered their third album, meaning they essentially signed off with the double A-side single 'California Dreams/Come On,' their two most accomplished songs ever) there were barely 100 people in the entire place, and they've never been better.
3. Nick Cave, February this year, Nottingham Royal Centre - One of Nick Cave's 'solo' dates, backed only by three Bad Seeds on drums, bass, and the ever-brilliant Warren Ellis on violin. With this tiny band and a piano in front of him, Nick Cave made more noise than anyone I've seen live outside of Muse. It was astonishing. Warren Ellis' distorted violin was brilliant. He played so many of his great songs ('Tupelo,' 'The Mercy Ceat,' 'Abattoir Blues,' 'Babe, You Turn Me On,' 'God Is In The House,' 'Oh My Lord,' 'Stagger Lee,' 'Hiding All Away..') and a few less obvious ones. The ones he completely swapped round and messed up were even better. The version of 'Henry Lee' was epic, loud, and mind-fucking. Great stuff, even if I ended up waiting for ages to have to see him.
4. Oasis, Sheffield, February this year - Outside of the profuse vomiting I experienced from travel sickness, this was a great gig. They may not be what they used to be, but they played almost all of my favourite songs. 'Bring It On Down' had me spunking in my pants (almost literally; I went with my girlfriend at the time, and...well, moving on) 'Champagne Supernova' was brilliant, 'Mucky Fingers' was top-notch and 'Rock 'n' Roll Star' sounded as good as it did twelve years ago...the only thing I missed was 'Gas Panic!'. I know they aren't really that band any more, but I miss the prog-indie wig-out they used to end it with.
5. Snooke, Waller And Friends, August this year, Ellesmere College hall - A thrown-together group of mates playing old songs of their own (from the Exalt group, and Adam's solo sogns), a handful of covers and some they've never played before on acoustic instruments(Redefined songs, Somewhere Beyond The Star). It was a brilliant performance. I'd go through the songs but none of you would know any of them.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

soak

« Reply #24 on: 17 Oct 2006, 14:54 »

1. Broken Social Scene - unfathomably awesome, a wall of sound
2. The Cure - Robert Smith kicks ass
3. Sigur Ros + Amiina - if you've been you know
4. The Shins - just nailed every song and the opening band was the Brunettes!
5. Tortoise - like nothing else, this is why I miss livid

Shit I forgot

Kraftwerk - Two and half hours worth of mesmerizing bleeps and samples sandwiched between a glostick raver and a guy who look like he should be administering an illegal Cayman Islands banking corporation. All I can remember is how exhasted and exhillarated I was at the end, a very weird combination.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #25 on: 17 Oct 2006, 16:27 »

detroit cobras, various 2002
"want to come on tour to europe with us and write about our band?"
"sure!"

Detroit Cobras are fuckin' ace. I would have gone to see them were it not a 19+ show.

The five that come immediately to mind are:

5) James Brown w/ Kyle Riabko, Sept./04, Credit Union Centre (Saskatoon).
4) Death From Above 1979 w/ Throw Rag & Controller.Controller, May/05, The Exchange (Regina).
3) Regina Folk Fest 2005, The Weakerthans headlining w/ Vusi Mahlsela, Sarah Harmer, Sara Slean, The Sadies and multiple others on the festival bill, July 29-31/05, Victoria Park (Regina).
2) The Arcade Fire w/ Wolf Parade & Bell Orchestre, October 2/05, The Odeon (Saskatoon).
1) Wilco w/ Elliot Brood, July 1/06, Burton Cummings Theatre (Winnipeg).

Honourable mentions go to Metric, Feist, Wolf Parade, The Constantines, and Sharon, Lois & Bram.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #26 on: 17 Oct 2006, 17:21 »

Let's see...

- Arcade Fire w/ Wolf Parade and Bell Orchestre at The Forum, Vancouver
- The Evaporators at the Vancouver Public Library Central Branch, Vancouver
- Stars w/ Thurston Revival at The Croatian Cultural Centre, Vancouver
- Neko Case w/ Sonny Smith at The Centre For The Preforming Arts, Vancouver
- Franz Ferdinand, Death Cab For Cutie w/ The Cribs at The Pacific Colosseum, Vancouver

ALoveSupreme

• Beyoncé
    • http://www.facebook.com/heyheyrabbit
« Reply #27 on: 17 Oct 2006, 17:52 »

1. and best of all was 'Dammit,' the set closer.

So my guess is that they've been closing with that for at least the past seven years now (I saw them in '99 and in '01 and both times they closed with that one.  hilarious)

A few great ones:

Any Anathallo show (but particularily in DeKalb, 09/05)
Dead to Fall, End This Day, A Life Once Lost- 06-01
La Quiete- past summer
eh, probably more but who actually cares?

AlexAttack

« Reply #28 on: 17 Oct 2006, 20:41 »

Oh man, Spearhead rock. I saw them play at the ANU just under three weeks ago, and they were awesome. My best mate and I went and had a chat to the bassist and drummer after the show - great guys, and incredibly talented musicians.

Its true dude, I caught their last show in Sydney a few weeks ago and Carl, or Sweet Clyde as I was calling him haha, is fucking awesome. He makes the simplest stuff sooo funky. And the fact that he has a glass of wine sitting on his amp that he sips and that he wears sunglasses pretty much for the whole show justs adds to his cool.
Oh yeah, Franti's ok too i guess........

rememberthrough

« Reply #29 on: 17 Oct 2006, 22:14 »

I haven't been to too many shows... so I'm only giving a top three.

3. G. Love and Special Sauce - Cains Ballroom, Tulsa, OK. Excellent show, everyone was really into the music and seemed to love the venue. There was a random medley of songs in the middle of the show, where he just randomly started playing "Golddigger". That was entertaining.

1. TIE:

Beck - Cain's, Tulsa, OK - This show was amazing. It was a few months before The Information came out, and we got to hear several songs from it. Jamie Liddel opened, and he had probably the most unique live show I've seen in a long time. He basically built a song from scratch in front of us, all through sampling. Everything seemed over the top, but went perfectly. Even when one guy in the audience asked Beck to play "High 5", and he didn't remember how. The bears and puppets were great too.

The Flaming Lips - Zoo Amphitheater, Oklahoma City, OK - If there was one Lips show to go to, this would be it. It was being filmed, so security was a bit overzealous (they took away the inflatable whales some people were going to release during "Race For The Prize"!!), but the whole experience was still intact. The best part was either Wayne's constant reminder for us to go "totally apeshit", even the "guys in the back, that are just sitting there drinking and getting high," or the introduction with the UFO. The confetti was nice too. And I've never seen such a happy person use the word "motherfucker" as much as Wayne did. Oh, and Evangelicals, Stardeath and the White Dwarves, and Deerhoof opened. Evangelicals were awesome, and so was Deerhoof, but I didn't enjoy Stardeath too much. Anyway, overall, great show.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #30 on: 17 Oct 2006, 22:48 »

He basically built a song from scratch in front of us, all through sampling.

You should go see Feist in concert, and try and catch a Gruff Rhys solo show.

Der Turm, der Leute frass

• Furry furrier
  • kwargbrzzz...brhhgfschrrg???
« Reply #31 on: 18 Oct 2006, 10:37 »

- Atheist (at w:o:a 06, opeth, nevermore, fear factory, emperor, celtic frost, mot?rhead,  six feet under, morbid angel, ministry and arch enemy played also awesome shows there)

- porcupine tree (in pratteln on their "arriving somewhere"-tour with paatos)

- Dave Bargeron & Michel godard (tubatuba2 tour in...2004 I guess)

- Suffocation (w:o:a 05, obituary, dissection, machine head and zyklon were also great )

- Patent ochsner (chur, 2006)

i was at a dream theater gig five years ago but i can't remember anithing  :x
I'm SWISS, so don't expect any "creative" english phrases.......

-i'm responsible for de existence of the universe....even if i forgot why

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #32 on: 18 Oct 2006, 12:57 »

1. and best of all was 'Dammit,' the set closer.

So my guess is that they've been closing with that for at least the past seven years now (I saw them in '99 and in '01 and both times they closed with that one.? hilarious)

Well it kind of is tradition to close with your best song. Queen have ended their shows with 'We Will Rock You' and 'We Are The Champions' since 1977.

Any Anathallo show (but particularily in DeKalb, 09/05)

SOMEONE ELSE WHO HAS HEARD OF ANATHALLO.

I reviewed their first full-length. It's utterly BRILLIANT.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

strawberry_gashes

« Reply #33 on: 18 Oct 2006, 14:02 »

Also in no particular order...

*Darkest Hour- both times.  They are excellent live.
*Tool!  Their light shows are fabulous.
*Le Tigre (C'mon, it's Kathleen Hanna)
*The Evens-- Ian Mackaye!
*Ted Leo & The Pharmacists in 2003 when they could still play at Fort Reno...

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #34 on: 18 Oct 2006, 16:20 »

Le Tigre live are great. The girls you get at Le Tigre gigs are scum and mean that after the crowds ruining them for me all three times I've been to see them I'll never go to another Le Tigre gig.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

muffy

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #35 on: 18 Oct 2006, 16:57 »

The last time I saw Le Tigre a mate and I were having 'scene wars' in jest, which kind of made the fact that everyone else there was doing it for real seem more entertaining...but they were awesome live..

Other amazing gigs:

Cursive (UCSLC)  - everyone in the audience wanted to be there, and I swear most of them left the gig as immensely overjoyed by the best gig in the world as I did

Bright Eyes w/ The Faint (Somerset House) - I seem to remember a debate on here after the gig as to how ruined Conor was during that, but the whole atmosphere along with having two of my ultimate favourite bands made it magical...

Tilly and The Wall - on valentines day, it was their first gig outside of the US and I have never seen a band look so elated that people knew their songs. And the all important rhythm section!

Mansun w/ King Adora - for being my first ever gig, and feeling that excitement that only comes when the songs you define yourself by in your bedroom are suddenly made real and then the band turn out to be nice guys too and music suddenly becomes the most important thing in the world

Mayday/Orenda Fink - for being disastrous, in the sense that I put the gig on and hardly anyone came, but for being awseome in that I had my own saddle creek gig which was so much more special than I'd hoped.
Until the band came back to mine and my alcoholic housemate tried to start on them for being american. Oh, the shame...

Will

• Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
« Reply #36 on: 18 Oct 2006, 20:20 »

Darkest Hour does put on a hell of a show...it seemed to me when I saw them that they were just having the time of their lives, and enjoying themselves...it was cool.  They even gave a kid a free t-shirt for coming on stage and air-guitaring wth them.  Seems like a good group of dudes
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

Jeridus

« Reply #37 on: 18 Oct 2006, 21:04 »

1) Moneen at the Opera House in Toronto. The Junction, Black Lungs, Our Mercury, and Cancerbats opened, and Moneen played a set that was nearly two hours long. (I ended up missing my train home, and wandered around the city until the next GO train, at 6 AM the next day).
2) Alexisonfire, Moneen, Bedouin Soundclash at the Kool Haus in Toronto. Saw 'em two years ago, on the coldest December day imaginable.
3) Bad Religion, Anti-Flag, Protest the Hero at the old Capital Music Hall in Ottawa. It was just a ridiculously sweet set.
4) The Flatliners, at 1848 Pub at the University of Ottawa. They played a long free set, to a crowd of about 20 people ('cause no one could figure out where they were playing). I'd seen Strike Anywhere and Ignite that same night for free, too.
5) The Matches, The Format, and Motion City Sountrack at the Phoenix in Toronto. The Matches were super intense, The Format were nice and mellow, and Motion City was downright great.

... Ooh, also... Lagwagon in Toronto with the Lawrence Arms and A Wilhelm Scream... that was a sweet show

pat101

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • A Minor Mass
« Reply #38 on: 18 Oct 2006, 21:45 »

My cousin actually is good buddies with the guys from Moneen and worked sound for them when they were just starting off, says they always put on a great show haven't managed to catch one yet though.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #39 on: 18 Oct 2006, 22:16 »

1) Finntroll @ Wacken 2006

There are some things it feels like you've waited forever to experience, and for me, this was one of them. Without a doubt one of the most intense, enjoyable and life-affirming experiences of my entire life. It was 1 AM, everyone was completely pissed (me very much so). I was crowd-surfing during Slaget Vid Blodsalv, and up there, on top of the crowd, two horns raised, singing along as the guitars slammed down and then that great scream...My heart nearly burst with joy.

2) Ministry @ Wacken 2006

And here's another one. This was just brilliant. They had no keyboards, so tracks like Psalm 69 turned into complete monsters. I was rocking out with this group of people I'd met there around the middle of the crowd, and I think the highlight was during 'Thieves', as the whole crowd pumped their fists and chanted along to the sample..."KILL! KILL! KILL! KILL!...YOU WILL NOT KILL!"

3) In Flames w/ Lacuna Coil, Machine Head and Caliban @ London Astoria Dec 2004

Yeah, fucking poserish gig. And you know what? I don't care. This was the first time I'd really had the opportunity to see any band I truly loved (at the time, In Flames and Lacuna Coil) live, and I am not ashamed to admit that I started crying with joy during In Flames set. No, seriously. It was the first time I realised how good live music could really be.

4) Motorhead w/ In Flames and Girlschool @ Southampton Guildhall Mar 2006

So. Fucking. Loud. SO. FUCKING. LOUD.

5) OverLord w/Syrafex @ The Royal Squadron, Ryde Jan 2005

Tiny local gig with two bands no one here will probably have heard of. The last bloom of any sort of decent underground music scene on the Isle of Wight before emo-pop and metalcore got their icy, joyless, artistically void grip on everything forever. Many great things occured: I'm pretty sure it was OverLords last ever gig (on the Island at least) and so they blazed up with all the great tracks they never normally played live: The Pit, Pissing in the Wind, Katrina Was a Beautiful Angel, Nice Girls Adore Hardcore, Storming the Winter Palace and, of course, their cover of 'Sound of the Underground'. Mad Mike (I'm not sure anyone knew his last name) was so stoned he forgot a key drum change and so the slow part in the middle of Storming the Winter Palace lasted for approximately six minutes (the song is normally four minutes long). In fact, it was this gig itself which killed the scene, because the Squadron got raided by the police halfway through (the bands didn't even stop playing. In fact, Darren stopped what he was doing, shouted, "Here come the rozzers, skip to the next song!" and started a huge mosh pit to 'the pit', allowing all the underage kids who shouldn't have been there (maybe half the club), to jump in the pit, thus saving them from the ire of the constabulary. Didn't matter however, because the pigs found out that the clubs cctv cameras weren't actually connected to anything and they lost their liscense to hold live music events about a month later.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Scytale

« Reply #40 on: 18 Oct 2006, 23:04 »

In no particular order:

- Tool, at the Canberra Theatre in 2002

I was at that gig and oddly enough, thats my favorite as well...

1. Tool - above mentioned venue

2. Nightwish - Sydney 2005
They played a reeally awesome cover of Pink Floyd's "High Hopes", the whole crowd was singing all the way through, was a really good atmosphere, hard to describe.

3. The Mars Volta - Sydney Big Day Out 2006
 One of the only reasons I went to BDO, did not dissapoint, played an absolutely monstorous version of "Drunkship of Lanterns"

4. Alchemist / Daysend - ANU Bar 2003
I've seen Alchemist more times then I can remember, this was probably my favorite gig of theirs, it was the launch of their "Austral Alien" album.

5. Impaled Nazarene - Canberra 1999
One of the first metal gigs I went too really enjoyable.

lestack

« Reply #41 on: 19 Oct 2006, 00:25 »

I think I've only been to five, but just to be sure :p

1) Audioslave, Indianapolis, Out of Exile tour. Opener: Seether. This got me into seether, realising that a lot of the songs I already heard on our local 'alternative' (el oh el) stations were actually by them. I really did like the stuff. And I'm just totally gay for Tom Morello and his Guitar, so that r0xx0red ... plus they played 'killing in the name' and an acoustic 'black hole sun' :D

2) Nine Inch Nails, St Louis, With Teeth tour. Opener: Queens of the Stone Age. QotSA are like twelve, but not bad music. NIN was amazing, and I'd only heard With Teeth at the time.

3) KT Tunstall, Nashville, some tour she's wrapping up now. Opener: Some shitty emo band with really basic knowledge of music. All I know is it was so-and-so and the god damn band, so avoid anything with 'the god damn band' unless you like to bleed from the ears. KT however is bloody amazing, doing her loop pedal thing, and she did a cover of Bonnie Raitt. BONNIE RAITT! and I LIKED IT WTF. Problem was we had to leave early, as my lady was sick. That's what bumped this down from two.

4) Dashboard Confessional, St Louis, Honda Civic tour 2004. Opener: Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Thrice. MCS rock and have WAAAAAAAY too much energy to not be drinking a case of BAWLS a night. Dashboard despite teh whiney emo shitness of the music, was very good. This was before the god-awful spider-man thing ... in fact this is where I first heard that song. Downsides: teenage girls don't understand encore breaks, aka fake endings, as Chris Carraba called it.

5) Taking Back Sunday, Birmingham, West Midlands, UK. No idea who opened, because due to a lack of available transport, this particular concert went unattended by me. Which means I'm still owed 10 god damn pounds by the girl who bought the tickets for us. but paying 10 quid to not see TBS was better than paying ANY money to see

negative infinity) Slipknot, Evansville, IN, We're A Bunch Of Talentless Bitches Who Wear Masks And Beat The Shit Out Of Our Instruments And Call It Music Tour. Opener: As I Lay Dying Of A Papercut Due To My Haemaphilia I Scream A Lot And Try To Convince People To Buy Recordings Of It. I went to this because of a girl. Got no sex in compensation. Girl took me for $700 and left me for a half japanese half black goth hardkore guitarist who she is NOT with at the moment in favour of some cliche butch lesbian. I'm not bitter. I promise.

That's six, but five technically doesn't count as I never went to it :mrgreen:

ImRonBurgundy?

• "That's all," he added.
« Reply #42 on: 19 Oct 2006, 03:06 »

Man, The Get Up Kids opening for Dashboard Confessional and Motion City Soundtrack?  That's a travesty, especially considering MCS is just a watered-down direct rip-off of The Get Up Kids' style.
You just came back to shit in my heart, didn't you Ryan?

soak

« Reply #43 on: 19 Oct 2006, 03:28 »

2) Nine Inch Nails, St Louis, ... NIN was amazing, and I'd only heard With Teeth at the time.

And you went to the concert based on that album? Or was it more fot QotSA?

Der Turm, der Leute frass

• Furry furrier
  • kwargbrzzz...brhhgfschrrg???
« Reply #44 on: 19 Oct 2006, 09:44 »

2) Ministry @ Wacken 2006

And here's another one. This was just brilliant. They had no keyboards, so tracks like Psalm 69 turned into complete monsters. I was rocking out with this group of people I'd met there around the middle of the crowd, and I think the highlight was during 'Thieves', as the whole crowd pumped their fists and chanted along to the sample..."KILL! KILL! KILL! KILL!...YOU WILL NOT KILL!"

that show just blasted everything...SO FUCKING LOUD
I'm SWISS, so don't expect any "creative" english phrases.......

-i'm responsible for de existence of the universe....even if i forgot why

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #45 on: 19 Oct 2006, 10:13 »

twelve what?

Twelve out of ten, I hope.

Dick Watson

« Reply #46 on: 19 Oct 2006, 10:27 »

In no particular order:

1) Converge, Between the Buried and Me, Cave In.
2) The Mars Volta. They played for 2 hours straight with no opening or closing band.
3) anytime I've seen Dillinger Escape Plan.
4) Reflux and Ed Gein.
5) Jucifer and Zoroaster. loudest show I've been to as well.

lestack

« Reply #47 on: 19 Oct 2006, 13:46 »

twelve as in years old :p

And I went to the NIN concert for the same reason as the slipknot concert, except I enjoyed it :p

strawberry_gashes

« Reply #48 on: 19 Oct 2006, 15:07 »

Darkest Hour does put on a hell of a show...it seemed to me when I saw them that they were just having the time of their lives, and enjoying themselves...it was cool.? They even gave a kid a free t-shirt for coming on stage and air-guitaring wth them.? Seems like a good group of dudes

That sounds about right...! :-)
My friends and I met them after their show in DC, and they were nice as hell. It's awesome when bands actually put in effort to meet their fans, you know?

5) The Matches, The Format, and Motion City Sountrack at the Phoenix in Toronto. The Matches were super intense, The Format were nice and mellow, and Motion City was downright great.
:-P I saw them on that tour too, but in Washington, of course. Except Men, Women, and Children also played. (They sucked)

Also, I'm pretty sure she wasn't wrong about QOSA... I was going to see them on that same tour, and they were opening.
« Last Edit: 19 Oct 2006, 15:13 by strawberry_gashes »

lestack

« Reply #49 on: 20 Oct 2006, 12:22 »

is it possible you saw another band and mistook them for qotsa?

everyone in the band 30-42 years.
Yes I know, I meant mentally. Their sense of humour was 12 year oldish.

but yeah, anyway :-p
Pages: [1]   Go Up