THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 22:51
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What would you name these two characters?  (Read 6638 times)

donovangelonardo

What would you name these two characters?
« on: 27 Sep 2006, 14:58 »

I've been drawing cartoons for the university paper since the beginning of summer, and though I hate to sound full of myself, mine are pretty damn good compared to the others that show up in there, no doubt in part to the influences I've gained from reading QC, SnF and SGR all summer.  Starting this semester, however, I decided to create two characters to work with so I wouldn't have to invent new people each week, and so I could work on character humor instead.  I'm toying with the idea of developing these characters into some sort of webcomic format, with the paper-cartoons mostly being non-storyline one shots.  So my question is, what would you name these characters:

If you claim the chick is based off of Dora, you'd be half right, she's also based on a friend of mine.  The dude was a lot more mellow when I first started, but I've made him a little weirder for hilarity's sake.  So what do you guys think?
« Last Edit: 27 Sep 2006, 15:01 by donovangelonardo »

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
Re: What would you name these two characters?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Sep 2006, 16:11 »

Torque and Ally?

Torque was the first name that came to mind for the guy after reading those. The girl i had to think about for a minute and Ally seemed appropriate.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: 27 Sep 2006, 16:49 »

I have to say I like those names, which makes me sad that I thought up such normal names like Jon and Elle

Luke

« Reply #3 on: 27 Sep 2006, 17:44 »

"Jeph and Lunchy"

Kaktion

« Reply #4 on: 27 Sep 2006, 18:19 »

I agree on the "Ally," it really does fit. For the guy, I'd say "Rick," which isn't as cool as "Torque," but it's what first came to mind.

strangebear

« Reply #5 on: 28 Sep 2006, 01:18 »

Torque and Ally seems to fit so well ... I'd have trouble of thinking of them as anything else now!

HFrankenstein

• Emoticontraindication
  • El Bueno!!
    • Hindrances to Progress
« Reply #6 on: 28 Sep 2006, 05:05 »

I would lean more towards Ewan.  Ally is good.  I was thinking Claire, but I think Ally is better.
Hindrances to Progress Games to get in the way of your dreams!

Narr

« Reply #7 on: 28 Sep 2006, 17:14 »

I got a "Jane" vibe from the girl.  Ally works just as well if not better, though.  Or maybe Vicky.  She does sorta feel like someone who has a rather long, archaic name that we sort of just shorten to two syllables.

I, uh, am not a big advocate on bizarre names, though so I'm not fond of Torque.  I'd hope if you did that, you'd at least set it up as a nickname, then it'd be kinda cool.
Partly because my best friend on campus here at my school is named so, I think "Buck" is a good name for the guy.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #8 on: 28 Sep 2006, 17:28 »

i didnt realize torque was a weird name. i know two people named torque so i guess i'm used to it.

Now, Rebar, THAT'S a weird name (that's my friend Torques' brother. their parents are welders, go figure).
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

donovangelonardo

« Reply #9 on: 29 Sep 2006, 03:40 »

newest:

fyi, people on campus have been complaining how our new mall (big open walkway thing) doesn't have a bike lane and how incredibly dangerous bicycles are for everyone.  This cartoon is in response to that.

I also have a few names from other sources for consideration:

Ally (if short for Alexandria) or Jane are approved names for the girl

Ted (Theodore), Zach, or Joel are all possible names for the dude.  With Ally and Ted, they both have names shortened from much longer pretentious names, so they go together.  Joel just strikes me as a name I could eventually build a sympathetic character out of (believe it or not, I would like to make these characters somewhat deep and interesting.... eventually)

EDIT:  I thought up thiscartoon before reading Jeph's strip, I swear!  Nevertheless, it's cool how the two synced up.  Two-wheeled vehicular assaults are reaching epidemic proportions, apparently
« Last Edit: 29 Sep 2006, 10:43 by donovangelonardo »

Narr

« Reply #10 on: 29 Sep 2006, 10:57 »

Well, for the record, my friend Buck's real name is William.  Just no one knows it.

I like Joel out of the ones you picked.  I think it fits.

As if what I said mattered. :D

Luke

« Reply #11 on: 29 Sep 2006, 20:36 »

The idea of a vicious, flesh-hungry bicycle reminds me instantly of Calvin & Hobbes.

Stifled Dreams

« Reply #12 on: 29 Sep 2006, 20:46 »

If you name her Ally I will most likely love you forever. There are not enough characters who aren't Ally McBeal named Ally in this world.

donovangelonardo

« Reply #13 on: 29 Sep 2006, 22:13 »

The idea of a vicious, flesh-hungry bicycle reminds me instantly of Calvin & Hobbes.

that's actually the subject of the email i attached this to when I submitted it: "Like Calvin and Hobbes meets Stephen King"

strangebear

« Reply #14 on: 29 Sep 2006, 22:46 »

If you want the best Bike Attack Story ever you need to track down the CALVIN AND HOBBES book with Calvin's new bike in it. It was classic!

Patatat

« Reply #15 on: 29 Sep 2006, 23:51 »

Name him Trace.

thepugs

« Reply #16 on: 03 Oct 2006, 15:57 »

Something about the girl struck me as being a name like "Donna" or something.  I know it sound a lot like Dora, but "Shauna" or something works too.  Something with 'n' in it.
The dude seems like a Joel...or maybe a Gavin or Jeff or something.

falconire

• Plantmonster
    • Supernaturals Presents
« Reply #17 on: 19 Oct 2006, 14:18 »

Dude, you're artwork is better that most new webcomics, trust me. That whole one character sounds like dora thing is ok really considering with most buddy comedies you have to have one outgoing character who'se outspoken and sometimes crazy (also think control alt delete here) and one reserved character who balances the other out. With our comic I originally used my brother as the reserved character and my writer, darren, as the crazy one. You could also think of it like the clerks cartoon. One guy has to be Dante and one has to be randal. Also, name them Gidget and Sven. My names are better!

Eva:Gina

« Reply #18 on: 19 Oct 2006, 16:34 »

BETTY!
She is so a betty

Betty and Dave

QuarterFire

• Emoticontraindication
  • o rly?
« Reply #19 on: 19 Oct 2006, 19:17 »

Alexis and Chad.
They definately strike me as an Alexis and Chad.

ComfortEagle

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #20 on: 19 Oct 2006, 19:43 »

Gwen and Lewis

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #21 on: 19 Oct 2006, 19:50 »

hm...or maybe Darwin and Julia

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
« Reply #22 on: 19 Oct 2006, 23:56 »

uhhhh....

aske and embla.
also israel

Narr

« Reply #23 on: 23 Oct 2006, 22:59 »

Dude, you're artwork is better that most new webcomics, trust me. That whole one character sounds like dora thing is ok really considering with most buddy comedies you have to have one outgoing character who'se outspoken and sometimes crazy (also think control alt delete here) and one reserved character who balances the other out. With our comic I originally used my brother as the reserved character and my writer, darren, as the crazy one. You could also think of it like the clerks cartoon. One guy has to be Dante and one has to be randal. Also, name them Gidget and Sven. My names are better!
There is a reason every comedy duo in history is like that.  It's always the fat guy and then the straight man.
Pages: [1]   Go Up