THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 04:36
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: wait, so, science of sleep?  (Read 8404 times)

ZombieLove

wait, so, science of sleep?
« on: 28 Sep 2006, 00:45 »

Does anyone know what's up with this movie? it was released last friday but nowhere near me (probably limited release) . has anyone seen it and HOW WAS IT?

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
Re: wait, so, science of sleep?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Sep 2006, 08:12 »

I'm waiting for the theater near me to actually run this too...it looks pretty tremendous, but my town's demographic tends to prefer dumbed-down redneck movies, so that's what runs...c'est la vie
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

Stifled Dreams

« Reply #2 on: 28 Sep 2006, 12:26 »

OH! I saw a movie poster for this in France and I only just figured out that it is a movie! In France I thought it was an educational TV show like Nova or something. I have a few friends who saw it and said it was excellent.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: 28 Sep 2006, 13:14 »

:cry:
it has not been released any where near me as well, even though we have a big indie theater right in our down town

ZombieLove

« Reply #4 on: 28 Sep 2006, 15:57 »

geez, when they said limited release, they meant really limited.

cakeandsoda!!

« Reply #5 on: 29 Sep 2006, 15:33 »

it opened last week in the top 15 markets, but today (29 septemberrr) it should be opening in any large city near you! i live in sacramento, but it is apparently only playing in one theater in the entire county. which is really sort of silly, but i have to see ittt, it just looks so amazingly pretty ♡♡

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #6 on: 29 Sep 2006, 22:33 »

Hooray, it has finally come to my city!!!

the movie critique in the paper said it kind of sucked, but he is full of shit

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #7 on: 30 Sep 2006, 20:09 »

I am wanting to see it hard.

Gondry owns me and could penetrate my anus if he were so inclined. I woudl let him.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

esp10nage

« Reply #8 on: 01 Oct 2006, 19:11 »

Its by Micheal Gondry - who has made some of the best music videos you can think of as well as eternal sunshine.  If the big hands thing reminds you of a foo figters video its because he made that video.  You should check the preview on the apple website - I'm amped to see it myself. 

Ally

« Reply #9 on: 01 Oct 2006, 19:14 »

I just saw it. Gaah. I will tell you more about what I thought later when my thoughts are collected.

Gryff

• Summary sense... tingling!
« Reply #10 on: 01 Oct 2006, 20:18 »

How the hell am I the first person to have seen it?

I caught it at a film festival a couple of months ago. All I can say is it is AMAZING!

Actually no, that's not all I can say. It's a really cute kind of weirdo comedy, quite in the same vein as Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. The plot basically revolves around the relationship of Stéphane (played by hottie Gael Garcia Bernal) and Stéphanie (the luscious Charlotte Gainsbourg) as Stéphan struggles with depression and working an unstimulating job. Stéphane starts to blur the lines between being asleep and awake, and the visual effects in the dream sequences are really something -- wonderfully quirky stop motion animation.

Everybody should go see this film I think. The animated bits are worth it alone, but the story is actually rather touching as well.

WhenWillWeWake

« Reply #11 on: 02 Oct 2006, 02:01 »

:mrgreen: Dude I JUST SAW IT TODAY, it is a trippy ass movie. AND I AM PISSED OFF CAUSE I LEFT 30 MINS BEFORE THE END OF IT!!!!! :'(  I DONT KNOW HOW IT ENDED! AND I CANT FIND IT OUT ON THE INTERNET EITHER, IT PISSES ME OFF! (if you guys have seen it, PLEASE PLEASE email me and tell me what happened in the end!!) I cant wait for the damn dvd to come out, I PAID MY MONEY damn it! lol....I left when his mother came to move back in! So if you can help me out there, i would love it!... email me @ [email protected] THANKS!!!

The reviews called it dull, but a good movie. IT IS NOT DULL AT ALL, the movie stirs you in from the beginning! I loved everything about this movie! GREAT MOVIE. Saw it in Pasadena, CA.

arthur barnhouse

« Reply #12 on: 02 Oct 2006, 23:14 »

If you're keen on knowing the ending, I can backchannel it to you. 

I'm a lurker on this forum, but I thought I'd just pop in to comment on here, since I seem to be the only person on earth who did not love this movie.

It's a terribly uncomfortable movie.  Whole sections are truly hard to watch.  I won't spoil it, but there is a particular scene where the lead character is getting drunk at a bar.  It was almost impossible to even sit in my chair, it was almost like having a panic attack.  In fact during that scene, my friend actually turned to me and said, "Dude, are you going to be OK?"  That appears to just by my reaction though.  No one else was as uncomfortable by this movie as I was.  (Note:  this isn't a problem between me and weird movies either.  I love Donnie Darko and blue velvet to death) 

I can see what the director was trying to do in the movie, but it just didn't seem to work.  I think he was trying too hard and whole portions of it are borderline disturbing as a result.

Gryff

• Summary sense... tingling!
« Reply #13 on: 03 Oct 2006, 14:32 »

Disturbing? What do you mean exactly?

I can't remember being disturbed by anything...

arthur barnhouse

« Reply #14 on: 03 Oct 2006, 15:50 »

Disturbing? What do you mean exactly?

I can't remember being disturbed by anything...

Maybe I'm outside of the Norm, but I think portions of the movie are.  The Old man near the end and The Bar Scene stand out in my memory.

Rudy Rudy

« Reply #15 on: 04 Oct 2006, 11:21 »

I think I am the only person who will never get to see this movie.

My heart is breaking. Le sad.

I'm trying to organize a road trip to Kansas City to see it there, but my friends are mindless twits who would rather watch ... I don't know, Tokyo Drift or whatever you crazy kids are watching. :) No offense, I didn't see that, either.

thepugs

« Reply #16 on: 04 Oct 2006, 16:40 »

I desperately want to see this movie somehow...if anyone finds a good torrent of it or some such, lemme know, 'cause it's not coming to my area anytime.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #17 on: 07 Oct 2006, 13:45 »

JUBILATIONS!!! I might be able to see it tonight

Pau!

« Reply #18 on: 14 Oct 2006, 09:23 »

I just saw this movie last night, and it was absolutely amazing. Everything was perfectly well done...there were so many moments when it could've gotten cheesy or fake, but it never did. I highly, highly recommend this movie to anyone who has ever fallen in love, had a dream, or plans to do either. You'll feel good afterward. =)

OHsmeat

« Reply #19 on: 14 Oct 2006, 15:34 »

I went to see it with my girlfriend and when we left we had happiness running through our veins and decided we needed IHOP to top off the evening, the veggie chilli omelet is awesomeness after seeing happiness on film. Did I mention the movie made us happy?

technical stuf: the stop motion sequences were incredible and Gondrys use of color to accent his scenes is incredible. The vulnerability of the characters offsets most of the unpleasantness that adulthood brought them. Thats one reason I really like his movies, he has a beautiful sense of how adulthood has tainted our childhood innocence and does a really good job of using that in his movies.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #20 on: 16 Oct 2006, 09:02 »

oh ma, i am so seeing it this weekend now. i will drag whatever friend is free along with me and we will watch this wonderful looking movie.

and because you mentioned ihop, i really want pancakes now.

actually, i don't know what it is about going to movies, but going to a movie then venturing over to ihop is always a good idea. movies and pancakes just go together. maybe i should open a pancake serving movie theatre when i grow up.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Kid Modernist

« Reply #21 on: 17 Oct 2006, 11:50 »

I am trying to be less contrary, but I hate the title of this thread and think that every time I see it so I needed to comment.

The previews seems sort of like the movie is a dud relationship "Guy wants girl, awkwardly meets her, guy gets girl, guy does something stupid and looses girl/has to fight for girl, wins girl" movie. I like Michel Gondry a lot though, so I hope I am proven wrong if I see it.

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #22 on: 25 Oct 2006, 22:33 »

I have the movie.

It's in German though.

ADJGFDS.

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #23 on: 14 Feb 2007, 03:49 »

Hooray, I finally watched the movie and it was good.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #24 on: 14 Feb 2007, 08:00 »

i finally watched it, and though i really enjoyed Stephane's dream world, i'm not sure whether i liked the movie or not. it's got the quirky-ness i really enjoy in other movies, but i don't think i liked the end very much.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Lukeypoo

« Reply #25 on: 24 Feb 2007, 15:38 »

During the movie I was intrigued and full of happy, then the ending scene came and they had that camera pan along the wall. And I just melted and loved it.

jtheexploder

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #26 on: 25 Feb 2007, 23:24 »

i saw this movie last year in sept and i was enthralled.

not to mention gael garcia bernal is a definite plus
Pages: [1]   Go Up