THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 Apr 2024, 06:05
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: of Montreal suggestions  (Read 2118 times)

soak

of Montreal suggestions
« on: 01 Oct 2006, 18:30 »

I'm a big fan of Wolf Parade, Broken Social Scene, Arcade Fire etc and I have noticed that of Montreal (possibly a Canadian thing?) gets mentioned alot during discussion about these artists which has piqued my interest in the band.

I've read on wikipedia that there is a (minimal?) stylistic shift after Coquelicot Asleep in the Poppies: A Variety of Whimsical Verse so I'm thinking that I should start with Aldhils Arboretum. Any suggestions?

I Am Not Amused

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • http://www.myspace.com/bittercamparimusic
Re: of Montreal suggestions
« Reply #1 on: 02 Oct 2006, 11:12 »

I'd say my first and foremost suggestion about Of Montreal would be to see them live.

I really wouldn't compare Of Montreal to any of the other bands you mentioned at all. They're a lot funkier and dancier than BSS or Arcade Fire. They've kind of got their own thing going. I really like both Satanic Panic in the Attic and The Sundalic Twins, so either of those records I would say would be a good pick up. Just don't expect really anything like BSS, Wolf Parade or Arcade Fire. If anything, I'd compare them to a 60s British Invasion band with a rhythm section straight from the 70s funk/disco era.
Zac Efron wants a sourcebox lulz.

Tokuma

• Balloon animal serial killer
    • http://www.last.fm/user/tokuma/
« Reply #2 on: 02 Oct 2006, 11:19 »

Of Montreal is quite awesome, I actually live in Athens so I get to seem them live very often. This being their home town and all. Anyway, I would also recomend starting with The Sundalic Twins, and then Aldhils Arboretum, both are really great albums.

*Sights*

• Larger than most fish
  • " "" "
« Reply #3 on: 02 Oct 2006, 15:19 »

I'm going to see them in a few months just out of curiosity (and because they are one of the few bands i like that will set a foot on this country) From what i've heard, they put on a damn good show. I'm more than a little embarassed that i only know a few of their songs, and not even the best ones at that.

soak

« Reply #4 on: 02 Oct 2006, 15:38 »

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'd love to see them live but I doubt they are coming to Australia any time soon.
« Last Edit: 02 Oct 2006, 15:41 by soak »

rive gauche

« Reply #5 on: 02 Oct 2006, 15:55 »

The Gay Parade.

chamberk

« Reply #6 on: 02 Oct 2006, 23:39 »

True story: I didn't like them until I saw them live.

I'm still not a huge fan but they're pretty good I must admit.

corwinzor

« Reply #7 on: 15 Oct 2006, 20:27 »

I wouldn't start with their most recent if I were you. Just start at the beginning: Cherry Peel is a pretty solid album. Their recent stuff has gotten very electronic which I personally don't dig as much, while their older stuff is more reminiscent of '60s pop.

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #8 on: 15 Oct 2006, 22:25 »

Their "stylistic shift" is what makes me like them so much, I think. Pre-Gay Parade, it's pretty twee and almost folky... all their music is really fun and dancy (also swooney) but the later stuff is much much much more polished and electronicy/dancy. Also: Everything I Am Not Amused said.

When I saw them, they reminded me a lot of Prince-in a good way!
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.
Pages: [1]   Go Up