Which should i buy first?

DS
- 9 (90%)
Wii
- 1 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: 05 Oct 2006, 11:28

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which one to buy...  (Read 5271 times)

ackblom12

Which one to buy...
« on: 02 Oct 2006, 11:28 »

Alright, my little geek mind is about to explode with this decision, so I'm looking for opinions here. I will buy both at some point, but I need to decide on which to buy first, and then the other will probably be gotten after Christmas.

On one hand, we have the Wii. I've been looking forward to this for a long damn time, and I'm excited as hell about the possibilities it leaves open for games. It also won't get into full swing until early 2007.

The DS I've also been wanting for a long time, and it currently has 25 - 30 games that i want to buy for it, not even bringing into account its ability to play GB games.

Start on the DS and its back catalogue, or be a launch adopter for the Wii and play with the newest toy? It's so sad that this is such a tough decision for me  :-D

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
Re: Which one to buy...
« Reply #1 on: 02 Oct 2006, 16:49 »

I'd go with the DS, just because there probably won't be many games out for the Wii until next year. I'm probably going to wait to get a Wii until after Christmas myself, and I already have a DS.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Nikita

« Reply #2 on: 02 Oct 2006, 19:25 »

I'd get the DS, especially since there's already a load of games you want for it. And hey...it'll be cheaper than the Wii.

Just remember, it will only play DS and GBA games, not the regular/old gameboy games.

I have a DS and I love it. :)

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #3 on: 02 Oct 2006, 19:27 »

For now, I'd say the DS, at least until the Wii shows its success and more third parties get interested in creating games for the system.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

Archellos

« Reply #4 on: 02 Oct 2006, 19:39 »

If money isnt a problem, I say wait for the Wii. Twilight Princess is coming out along with it, and other games such as the newest Super Smash Brothers have already been confirmed. In addition to this, it will have backwards compatability with the gamecube, and I think N64? Also, if it isnt compatable with N64 games, I do know you'll be able to download them off the internet, I guess sort of like Itunes. SNES and Genesis games will also be downloadable...so even if there isnt much coming out for it to start, there will be a lot to get, I would imagine. It also seems to be the most anticipated system on sites such as gamefaqs.

Don't get me wrong, the DS is also pretty fun, but a lot of the games seem like GBA games with gimicks to make use of the touch screen.

ackblom12

« Reply #5 on: 03 Oct 2006, 02:28 »

Well, it does look like the DS is gonna be my pick, and I'll be getting an Onyx Black DS Lite Thursday  :-D

I'm already planning on getting Rocket Slime as 1 of the 2 or 3 games i plan to buy with it. Any suggestions as to what the others should be? Preferably RPGish. I've been jonesin for a decent RPG for months now, and I'm getting sick of playing through the classics for the umpteenth time. So far, it looks like my best bet is either Pokemon Dungeon Rescue Team or Children of Mana in that genre, but certainly, any other genre suggestion would be greatly appreciated :)

So many great games for this system :P

It will also be so very nice to be able to realistically afford 2 to 4 games a month for the DS if i cut back on a couple of small expenses. I swear, $15 - $30 less per game than a home console makes a decent sized library seem stupidly possible.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #6 on: 03 Oct 2006, 22:36 »

Get Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

EmoFan

« Reply #7 on: 03 Oct 2006, 23:57 »

DS is a horrible pick, the games are fun for a bit yet they get old fast. Plus if you don't have any friends that play DS a lot, the multiplayer function is lost.  You should of went Nintendo Wii, it will be a great console for getting togeather with friends and having a good time.

Of couse this isn't fact but opinion. I own a Nintendo DS, and it is fun but I rarely play it. A lot of the games are Meh right now. I

ackblom12

« Reply #8 on: 04 Oct 2006, 13:20 »

DS is a horrible pick, the games are fun for a bit yet they get old fast. Plus if you don't have any friends that play DS a lot, the multiplayer function is lost.  You should of went Nintendo Wii, it will be a great console for getting togeather with friends and having a good time.

Of couse this isn't fact but opinion. I own a Nintendo DS, and it is fun but I rarely play it. A lot of the games are Meh right now. I

Unfortunately, any time i get a gaming console, i assume 98% of the play time is going to be single player. This is a matter of real life interfering with everyone's free time. Online will definitely help with that, but the Wii won't be hitting it's full stride online until early next year.

Besides, Rocket Slime pushed me over the edge. Twilight Princess/Red Steel/Rayman/Elebits will probably force me into buying a Wii around Christmas anyways.  :-P

Napoleon the Clown

• Emoticontraindication
  • Worriesome
« Reply #9 on: 04 Oct 2006, 15:59 »

Go for the DS first and wait till the Wii (damn stupid name, IMO) comes down in price.

And no shoplifting!  Not that I'm saying you'd do that. :angel:
Scaring the shit outta Hannelore since...  God knows when. (T-shirt reference FTW)

ackblom12

« Reply #10 on: 04 Oct 2006, 22:32 »

Go for the DS first and wait till the Wii (damn stupid name, IMO) comes down in price.

And no shoplifting!  Not that I'm saying you'd do that. :angel:

Bah I say! I've been waiting for the Wii for more than a year with great anticipation. Waiting another year or more for it would be silly of me. I'm more than just interested in the Wii, I'm very very excited about it and it's possibilities. That, and it has way too many games I'll HAVE to buy coming out over the next few months.  :-)

Honestly, the name doesn't really bother me. It's odd, but then again the entire system is a bit odd. It could be called "The Fairy Rapist" and only come in hot pink and i wouldn't really give a damn.

TheGrinder

« Reply #11 on: 09 Oct 2006, 05:52 »

I say get the Wii, I'm not really impressed with the DS. I hadn't heard about being able to download SNES and Genesis games though. What about the NES classics?

Daphoid

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #12 on: 27 Oct 2006, 09:58 »

DS is a horrible pick, the games are fun for a bit yet they get old fast. Plus if you don't have any friends that play DS a lot, the multiplayer function is lost.? You should of went Nintendo Wii, it will be a great console for getting togeather with friends and having a good time.

The bit about multiplayer aspect could be said for either console.

I have a 360, doesn't mean my friends play with me (none of them have 360's yet). However I have a DS Lite and can think of about 7 friends that can play with me.

Yet next month I can think of 9 people getting in line with me to pickup our Wii's (pre-order ftw).

So it can go either way.

Glad you got the DS Lite, it's a great little thing to have on car trips / bus rides, and heck if you're somewhere with open wifi you've got multiplayer goodness.

- D
Pages: [1]   Go Up