THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 14:44
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Riftwar Saga  (Read 3067 times)

Tergon

• The German Chancellory building
  • Grandmaster of the Order of the Dickbroom
The Riftwar Saga
« on: 01 Oct 2006, 22:07 »

Yeah, so.  The Raymond E. Feist books that comprise the original Riftwar Saga:  Magician, Silverthorn and A Darkness at Sethanon.
Also all of the follow-up and side-fling books that spawned out of this universe.

I read these books for the first time when I was starting out high school, and I loved 'em... recently I found them again at the library and read them for a second time.  They still kick arse.  Jimmy the Hand is probably one of the most awesome characters I've ever read - I also just read his Legends of the Riftwar book, and it only enhanced my opinion of his awesomeness.

So basically.  Opinions?  Anyone else read this series, and if so, what did you think of it?
Proud guardian of the original Useless Broom Made Entirely Out Of Dicks

Holding the line against the Rabid Fanboy Horde

Catfish_Man

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
    • Assorted Stuff
Re: The Riftwar Saga
« Reply #1 on: 01 Oct 2006, 23:12 »

Good books, but they got worse as the series progressed. Jimmy is indeed badass :)

elcapitan

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #2 on: 03 Oct 2006, 05:33 »

Original Riftwar Saga: classics of the epic fantasy genre.
The Empire Trilogy: incredibly good, offbeat fantasy. The best elements of Feist and Wurts rolled into a great series.
Serpentwar Saga: fun to read, Rise of a Merchant Prince in particular is worthy simply for taking a whole different look at the world.
Everything Else Feist Pinched Out: donkey turds. Seriously. The Krondor series reads like a boring DnD session, and I couldn't even finish the first Conclave of Shadows book because it was so bad.

Tergon

• The German Chancellory building
  • Grandmaster of the Order of the Dickbroom
« Reply #3 on: 03 Oct 2006, 16:53 »

Yeah, it's pretty safe to say that the series gets worse as it goes on.  Like I said, the Legends of the Riftwar are pretty good though.  But Riftwar was the second fantasy series I ever read (the first being Tolkein's works).  It's just awesome.  One of those stories that, say, a movie just couldn't do justice to.
Though a TV series might...
Proud guardian of the original Useless Broom Made Entirely Out Of Dicks

Holding the line against the Rabid Fanboy Horde
Pages: [1]   Go Up