THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 20:16
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: non-music nerd needs help!  (Read 5279 times)

jacen

non-music nerd needs help!
« on: 10 Jan 2007, 11:35 »

Ok, I'm not much of a music nerd, however, Dragonforce is coming to a town near me. I would like to go see them. However, it says "DragonForce will perform as direct support to Killswitch, also on the bill are Chimaira and He Is Legend" What does that direct support bit mean? How much music can I expect from Dragonforce? Who are those other guys, what type of music do they do, and am I likely to like them?
Thanks!

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
Re: non-music nerd needs help!
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jan 2007, 11:43 »

He Is Legend is pretty good...they do that whole smart-ass, southern-rock take on hardcore - like a slightly less shitty Everytime I Die - only I guess on their new album they did a lot more singing?  "I Am Hollywood" was an interesting album, but I stopped following them after that.

Killswitch is...uhm...breakdowns and yelling, then whiny singing parts.

Chimera I have not heard, but they're on Ferret Records which usually means mediocre-to-decent range metalcore.

Honestly, if you like DragonForce, this probably wouldn't be that bad a show, but if they're not headlining (usually, this is what it means when they say "direct support - it's nicer than saying 'opening band' but I could be wrong) this it could be anywhere from a 25-40 minutes in set time, depending on the venue.  If ticket prices aren't too expensive, I'd say give it a shot.  I don't care much for KSE, but I know they put on a pretty good show.
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

kablaaamo

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jan 2007, 18:31 »

Yeah....generally, 'direct support' means they're the band that plays directly before the headliner.

And ughhh....I dunno, hardcore is not really my genre to begin with, but I can appreciate the differences between a talented band and a terrible one.....and Chimera is pretty dismal. I don't know much about the others. If I were you, I'd go slightly late.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #3 on: 10 Jan 2007, 21:37 »

I would like to add that when I saw Killswitch Engage, I had to make the crucial decision of either watching them play or going to the bathroom in a sports arena, and after about five minutes I chose to go to the bathroom.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Will

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jan 2007, 21:42 »

I would like to add that you almost certainly made the better choice out of the two. 
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #5 on: 10 Jan 2007, 21:44 »

If you like Dragonforce, I would suggest you will hate Killswitch. Killswitch are generally metal with big, melodic choruses, without moving too far to being emo.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #6 on: 10 Jan 2007, 21:55 »

Killswitch used to be so good before Jesse Leach left. =/
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

jacen

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jan 2007, 00:55 »

Is it just me, or does DragonForce stick out of this listing like a big, green elephant in a very weird 'which one dosent belong?' sort of way

Will

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jan 2007, 01:02 »

No, it's not just you.  This lineup doesn't really make any sense to me either...Dragonforce just doesn't fit in very smoothly...

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #9 on: 11 Jan 2007, 01:27 »

And ughhh....I dunno, hardcore is not really my genre to begin with, but I can appreciate the differences between a talented band and a terrible one.....and Chimera is pretty dismal. I don't know much about the others. If I were you, I'd go slightly late.

Chimera live is an absolutely hilarious experience. I saw them supporting Lacuna Coil/In Flames a couple of years ago at a Metal Hammer event, and the lead singer is an absolute wanker. His stage banter is a constant onslaught of "I swear so I'm fucking metal" contrived bullshit. I swear he used the word "fuck" about 3 times in every damn sentence.

HELLO FUCKING LONDON, HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU? WE'RE FUCKING CHIMERA AND WE FUCKING PLAY FUCKING METAL FUCKING MUSIC. WE'RE SO FUCKING EXCITED TO FUCKING BE HERE. HERE'S THE NEXT FUCKING SONG! IT'S FUCKING HEAVY AS FUCK! FUCK!

Pissed myself laughing. The music is so-so but if he does that at every show, it's almost worth the ticket price.

DragonForce are the only potentially enjoyable band on that bill from a musical point of view, mind.
« Last Edit: 11 Jan 2007, 01:29 by amok »

Schmitt

« Reply #10 on: 11 Jan 2007, 04:06 »

I think the only reason that DragonForce got big was because all the hardcore and metalcore kids thought solos were awesome, but didn't want to do them themselves, so they found the up-and-coming most self-indulgent long masturbatory over-the-top power metal solo band and promoted the hell out of 'em. The fact that DragonForce recently got picked up by Roadrunner didn't help any.

But when I heard that those boys got on OZZfest, I just pictured them walking up to all the metalcore bands "So you guys think you can play guitar hunh?"

I'm guessin' they just want the exposure and the chance to earn some more money, which is never a bad thing, especially if you're tryin' to make a living off being a musician.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #11 on: 11 Jan 2007, 11:04 »

Killswitch was never good. They were once less horrible.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
« Reply #12 on: 11 Jan 2007, 11:20 »

i was quite confused though when someone called them melodeath i thought they had changed their sound...alas i was wrong

my ears still havn't forgiven me for that experience
and my ears are wearing head phones
they do play my favorite songs
not music i'm told to like
but the songs that make me dance along

Scytale

« Reply #13 on: 11 Jan 2007, 11:39 »

Yeah I made that mistake as well I was buying The Haunted's "Made me Do it" cd (which is actually half decent) about 3 years ago (maybe even 4, it was when The Haunted first came to aus) and the guy at the counter said oh if you like Melodic Thrash you'll love this new band Killswitch Engage, so I took he's word and purchased one of their albums. My advice don't listen to guys at the record shop.

Caspian

• The Tickler
« Reply #14 on: 11 Jan 2007, 13:50 »

KsE would've been awesome a couple of years ago- In my opinion, ALive or Just Breathing is one of, if not the best Metalcore album. I've seen them and they were entertaining enough. Combined with Dragonforce, it should be a decent night.

I'm going to see Dragonforce in a couple of months too. yay!!

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
« Reply #15 on: 11 Jan 2007, 16:36 »

My advice don't listen to guys at the record shop.

no listening to guy's in a record shop is fine as long as their an independant store who arn't try to push albums onto you and will actually have a half-hour conversation with you on what the specific genre of the number 12 looks like you actually is

that may jsut be my opinion though
and my ears are wearing head phones
they do play my favorite songs
not music i'm told to like
but the songs that make me dance along

NiMRoD420

« Reply #16 on: 12 Jan 2007, 02:35 »

Honestly, I like Killswitch Engage. I like everything about them. Always have. Although I haven't heard the new album...

robert g

« Reply #17 on: 16 Jan 2007, 23:19 »

Sadly, Chimera is from my slice of the world.  :|

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #18 on: 17 Jan 2007, 07:35 »

You should listen to depressing music.  That's where it's at.  Totally.
Where I come from, we usually just shorten that to "yee-haw!"

glwtta

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #19 on: 25 Jan 2007, 09:30 »

Hmm... We are going to have the same line-up around here in a month.  I'm leaning towards "not worth it", but then I do like Dragonforce.

Oh, what to do, what to do...
Pages: [1]   Go Up